Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Friends: (5)
Default Skyray F4D Ducted Jet Beginners Entry about $80 ARF

Purchased this one from HobbyKing few weeks ago finally assembled and flew at twilight early this morning, winds down to near zero and used an empty parking lot area with sizeable lengthy pavement for the take off as one of our other flyers has been enjoying this one with several flights.

Its not one of the faster jets, giving the newbie a chance to get the feel for flight with one of these models. Its take off is rather lengthy so don't crimp the area, it takes near a full infield for the needed speed to rise, then it zips right up let it goe out aways and make the gentle turn mine needed some up elevon as made it back towards me, has a touch of speed at full throttle but will fly well at just over 2/3rds. Its rather solid even with the simple Spectrum DX5 setup at low throw. Settings are near flush on the twin rear elevons, use to these as flown the Stryker Delta Wing. Mine ended up with a very minute up elevon and touch and two clicks of up trim on the left for it to fly straight. The COG was on the money right out of the box, used just a 1300 Lipo fits perfectly.

Not reallly a windy flyer as 2nd flight had winds gusting near 20 MPH, waited for them to settle below 15 MPH gusts, tuned out about the marginal conditions at least for me, it penetrated but slowed its progress against these medium winds, so it behaves best below 10 MPH. About what I expected.

Have had issues hand launching other ducted models, so like the addition of wheels on this one, the front nose gear steers for a straight take off.

It assembles very quickly glueing on both wing halves with an inserted plastic rod for needed strength, only thing left is the black nose cone that easily fits and fastens with a fast glue.

Not the speed demon but certainly loads of fun and I give it thumbs up for your first attempt, keep it abit close for best visual and your in for a treat !

If you've had success with a low wing aileron ship, your likely to handle this one, I'm all smiles....

BEST ..<>..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9362

If I don't do something stupid with this puppie, later hope to have a brief video on this entry jet..

Could be a video from my other flyer, if its not erased will meanwhile post his brief video clip..
Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Tips on flying this bird.

Again use a lengthy paved runway as takes awhile for it to reach take off speed.
Gradually increase the throttle, likely need max for take off, make sure your straight
After its long run give it some up elevon and it should zip right up in the air.
Let it fly out aways but not too far and make the gentle turn, likely need some up elevon to keep things level on first turn.
Then its up to you on the throttle, at least 2/3rds flys very well.
If your at all gifted on deadstick no power landings this ones very predictable
It will drop so keep adding up elevon but keep things flying and it will land gently

Found this one to be a very solid flyer, at low throw on the DX5 its a piece of cake !

Note most ducted fans will use up the battery rather quickly, well under 5 minutes is the norm, but it will keep you busy even with the short flights. Simply have an extra battery to extend the fun.

Again mine used a very slight up elevon setting with a touch more up on the left elevon, couple clicks on the DX5. But still suggest you start with everything flush as each model likely varys.

Unable to find my video, meanwhile Hobby Lobbys clip, shows its gentle handling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co9wl...eature=related

Tried to order this one from Hobby Lobby and Nitroplanes but were out of stock, but found it at HobbyKing.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Did make a brief video clip showing the switch positions using the Spectrum DX5 Transmitter, also gives a clue of the elevon movements might be of intrest for any new pilots. Find the Low Throw Switch Position works well for this docile jet flyer. Few more flights and will try the High Position, sure it will help on elevon rolls..<>..

Careful, don't bump the throttle, Hah !

Old 11-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Unlike my other first attempts on ducted jets, this one continues to stay alive. Yesterdays flight went as follows, takes again some room to reach airspeed from the pavement till take off, tracks true, had a breeze and after some distance responded immediately to some up elevator and rocketed skyward, gentle turn it zinged back like watching a space shuttle with its delta shape. It will loop and roll smoothly even with low throw position on the DX5. Flys smooth even at just 2/3rds throttle, not a fast ship again giving the novice a chance to have a feel for flying this puppie. The legs are slightly springy and requires a gentle touchdown for a correct landing, mostly deadstick this one with short puffs of throttle when needed, nosed it down to keep some airspeed and it quickly went past me lowering near pavement, flared at the last moment and it landed smoothly, slight drop too soon and the legs will make the ship bounce, so pay attention on the timing and it will land easily. Its a trip !
BEST ..<>..
Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Here's my brief video showing the plug in procedure to the Spektrum AR500 Receiver. This Jet is still alive and defintely makes a great first entry.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Well this one is still alive this year, so it high on the list for great beginner EDF Flyer. Last made couple videos of its flight, take off is smooth just allow some room to get airborne. Stable inflight, isn't the largest bird so may want to keep it abit close for visibility.

Also like its wheels, so you have zero issue not necessary to hand launch as can give fits on some of these models needing a fast baseball toss.

Its a sweet flyer, not a barnburner but defintely a crowd pleaser as in my 2 short clips below, take off then pass..

Pavement take off, smooth..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myahElnhFVw

Quick pass..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37utaKxpGjo

Still available thru Hobby King, Receiver Ready $99
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12481

Found mine to fly quite well right out of the box, its again not a super fast jet, but wonderful for a starter into the EDF, larger wing area makes for a nice bird and easy to handle, anyone with some aileron sport flying will likely have little issue as an entry into jets..works great even with a simple DX5 setup as shown in my early video..
Old 05-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #7
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

View kenchiroalpha's Gallery2
Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (168)
Thumbs up

Hi Phillip
Very nice
Thanks for the review, tips and videos
Looks like a great one to have in your hanger
Guess who just ordered one
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

"When wild the head-wind beat,Thy sovereign Will commanding, Bring them who dare to fly, To a safe landing."
Old 05-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #8
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Again like this one as has wheels, tho can be springy on a missed landing, infact have an amazing clip on my worst landing of all time, but didn't phase this durable craft at all, patience takes awhile to upload, its hilarious...

Springy Landing, Boing Boing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ne_6dMXya8
Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Actually the landings on this one are quite smooth with the correct entry, when I get another camera pic will post. Its my most durable flyer todate, loads of fun to fly, does well for a newbie right out of the box. Has all the good characteristics of an entry EDF Electric Ducted Fan Jet. Nice wing surface for docile handling, wheels for easy take off, no concern on a hand toss. And it looks fantastic inflight. Great starter Jet.

Be careful it attracts a crowd, this landing turned out to be an increadilble low pass to avoid the onlooker trying to take a pic he scurrys out of harms way last moments, all correctly went to the side as I did the turn around for landing, heads up, be careful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9siH-m5G44

Just be aware where they all are coming in please...
Old 05-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

I'm again flying this one with a simple DX5 Spectrum setup, low throw, still is abit responsive mostly on the up and down movments but very controlable. Horn setting is in the center, pushing it to outer postion would improve things. Currently have the elevons slightly up, mainly for comfortable take off from the ground, and just above half throttle slow passes, but best at 2/3rd's throttle or more. Use max throttle on take off as takes over an infield to make airborne. With the up elevon setting it wants to climb so touches of down stick keep things level. Really should have things flush, and will later on.

To make the landing its indeed a floater, touch of nose down for deadstick then the normal gradual flare. If you make contact too quickly on pavment its likely to bounce on the springy but rather duarble landing gear, simply let it fly abit longer before making the pavement.

If your not a deadstick lander simply reduce throttle, on first attempts likely to pass your landing zone, simply power up for another attempt.

On the lift off from the pavement it takes abit of room but not bad, don't crimp here, have a sizeable area. I like empty school lots and vacant parking lots early mornings etc. After well past an infield length give slight up elevon and when ready it will zing right up for you. Again let it fly out aways before the gradual turn, after elevation can check the tighter turns, apply some up and will likely drop on these, flat turns it will stay more level. Barrel or Elevon rolls are very easy, might need some down elevon when inverted but not too much as will pull upward as happened on this mornings flight, note was barely over half throttle experimenting. 2/3rds throttle is its best handling and still giving the 4 minute flight. Have extra battery for more fun.

If this is you first jet try to get a pilot even better one that has flown this model. I like its docile handling right out of the box. Not the fastest model, but for a learner, its hard to beat.. Have fun !!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Tho find this one more than durable, was in a hurry to land and bumped in harder than normal, managed to somehow strip the nose wheel servo, replaced and all is well. Timed flare even deadstick its a winner, comes in on the money with correct inputs.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Sad news. Over at RCG, someone was inquiring and found HobbyKing has discontinued the Skyray.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nooooooo.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	178619

I'm glad I have mine still, and grabbed another one, which is still in the box, for a rainy day when they stocked them at the US warehouse for a while. Such a great, carefree, fun plane. Of my many planes, this is one that goes with me to the field nearly every time.

Here's my crappy cell phone video of my really old Hobby Lobby version. The Hobby King one is a clone, so same thing. Mine's been upgraded to a 4s 2200mAh system, so it's quick and can go vertical, but with all that wing area, she can still high alpha at a crawl and land really slow.

I know this plane wasn't all that popular, but I think people just didn't know what they were missing. Not to mention, being in San Diego, how many older ex-Navy guys who've come up to me at the field and told me their stories of working on them back in the day when they were based in the area.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners