Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 05-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
GBLynden

Friends: (0)
Default My top three favorite beginner micro planes

This is a video taken at dusk that captures footage taken of the Hobbyzone Champ, Ultra Micro Parkzone T-28, and the Ultra Micro Parkzone Pole Cat. They are in my opinion the perfect one, two, three planes for a beginner. Once one is comfortable with flying these planes, the doors are open to more demanding aircraft.

During the video recording some old biplanes were captured moments before one of them crashed. This adds a lot more to the video making it more entertaining. I also noticed that the emergency response was very very quick after it all went down.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
BaronBernie
Baron Bernie

Club: Western New York Sailplane And Electrical Plane Flying Club
Send a message via Yahoo to BaronBernie
Friends: (1)

Everyone is different in there selecton of there first three micro starter planes. For me it was 1) night vapor (still my favorite), 2) ember 2, and 3) hz champ. My second selection would have been 1) nutball, 2) ft flyer and 3) ft old fogey from flitetest. The flitetest planes are simple and fun planes that would be built from scratck wth free downloadable plans. www.flitetest.com

Low and slow is the way to go!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

I think GB is trying to show a progression between trainer, sport and aerobatic craft and that one teaches the skills to move to the next.

He's not saying that the Vapor is a bad plane. It's a WONDERFUL plane with unique characteristics that make it an entertaining plane to fly no matter what your skill set is or how advanced a pilot you are. But its very uniqueness is what makes it not so good a trainer as an Ember or a Champ, because other planes don't share the Vapor's characteristics at all.

But GB has taken things beyond the trainer category into the "what's next?" field. That's a matter of individual taste, but his progression would build a skill set that would fit just about anything but 3D and sailplanes. It's a well-rounded progression.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)

It's only the OP's opinion, based on his personal taste and experience. The OP is not a trained professional, manufacture rep or certified flight instructor, just a guy who taught "himself" how to fly RC at his local park....his opinion is not unique or much different from many who have self taught.....the stated progression (and craft selection) can be found mentioned at almost every RC plane forum.....it is what it is, a personal opinion.....many will agree and many will disagree......the OP is just a conversation starter....thats it!

AMA 928214
Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Chucksolo69

Yes, it's just his opinion, but why bag on him? What's wrong with just being a "guy who taught himself?" Alot of us here are self taught. That being said, GB has also "turned the corner" and is planning on joining a club (said so in another thread) and realizes the benefits of having a mentor/instructor to help him progress in the hobby. AS for being "just a conversation starter..........so what, isn't that what forums are, conversations among enthusiasts? Lighten up man. BTW - Regarding RC.....what's a "trained professional?"
Old 05-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
BaronBernie
Baron Bernie

Club: Western New York Sailplane And Electrical Plane Flying Club
Send a message via Yahoo to BaronBernie

Sorry if I ruffeled a few feathers (no pun intended). I agree with each and everyones message. In my own defense I was just trying to show how I agreed with him using my own planes as an example.
The flte test planes are a good example of progression (personal growth) in both building as well as flying planes.

Low and slow is the way to go!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Chucksolo69

I was replying to Pizzano. Your three planes are just as viable as GB's.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Chuckso........a little sensitive to a personal observation based on the OP's previous posts...?..lol....no bagging going on here buddy......nothing wrong, nothing right.

Everything previously mentioned by the OP is common knowledge based on ones personal experience and taste......and the method the OP cares to express himself....which could be perceived as some kind of authority on the subject....lol

Maybe you would have preferred the term "professionally trained" over "trained professional".......semantics...you got the point anyway.....lol

As far as "turning the corner"....does it really matter..?...the OP has professed (eluded to) here and on other forums to not "need" or "have time" for formal training.....just "a little advise".....lol....one could sense pretty quickly, an attitude like that, is not looking for advise. Rather, more willing to give it.......lol

AMA 928214
Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Chucksolo69

Interesting perspective, and not sensitive at all. I suspect a fair number of people learned to fly on the planes he describes and he describes them accurately using video. I guess I'm just perplexed at the perceived hostility toward the OP's post.

Tell me, how did your learning experience go and what do you consider "formal" training?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #10
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Chuckso.......

I was around models as a kid....dad built static scale WWI and Clipper ships......I played with free flight stuff until I reached my teens.....fast forward to 1990's, my son and brother got into off-road RC, then into cheap RC heli's.......I got attracted to the heli's as well.....Started with co-ax and got serious into the E 450 class CCP.

After playing around with the co-ax stuff, met a guy at work, visited his club and he mentored me in the finer aspects of heli flying and repair....Joined AMA and a local club (or two) and started scratch building 450's.......only got as good as a scale heli pilot....no 3D here, to old, started to late and lack the skills to get crazy with heli's, but still manage to keep them in the air without costing me $$$$.

Finances got tough around 2007....heli's cost $$$ to maintain and repair.....so I got into planks.....have been there ever since. Been through the clubs AMA intro pilot program and got certified to fly my J3 Piper, by an AMA certified flight instructor(formal training)... (still can't ROG that thing worth a damn)....lol

Now I build and fly Sticks, teach my buddies kids to fly Sticks and fart around with two of my J3's........getting ready to go with either a Tiger Moth (kit) or PNP PZ T28......when funds allow.

AMA 928214
Old 05-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery4
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (7)

Never flown the Pole Cat, but it's hard to argue with the Champ as a great trainer, and the T-28 as a great aileron trainer.

I think my ultra-micros went: Night Vapor, J-3 Cub, T-28. That Cub is a great little plane. I'm sad they discontinued it.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

A micro Cub can't fly like a real Cub. The real Cub is a floater and the UM was a rocket ship, zipping all over the sky like some cat with its tail caught in a mousetrap. It flew well, but not like a Cub. I think that hurt sales.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

That's kinda what I liked about it.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
Chucksolo69

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Chuckso.......

I was around models as a kid....dad built static scale WWI and Clipper ships......I played with free flight stuff until I reached my teens.....fast forward to 1990's, my son and brother got into off-road RC, then into cheap RC heli's.......I got attracted to the heli's as well.....Started with co-ax and got serious into the E 450 class CCP.

After playing around with the co-ax stuff, met a guy at work, visited his club and he mentored me in the finer aspects of heli flying and repair....Joined AMA and a local club (or two) and started scratch building 450's.......only got as good as a scale heli pilot....no 3D here, to old, started to late and lack the skills to get crazy with heli's, but still manage to keep them in the air without costing me $$$$.

Finances got tough around 2007....heli's cost $$$ to maintain and repair.....so I got into planks.....have been there ever since. Been through the clubs AMA intro pilot program and got certified to fly my J3 Piper, by an AMA certified flight instructor(formal training)... (still can't ROG that thing worth a damn)....lol

Now I build and fly Sticks, teach my buddies kids to fly Sticks and fart around with two of my J3's........getting ready to go with either a Tiger Moth (kit) or PNP PZ T28......when funds allow.
OK, gotcha. My experience was pretty similar. I flew Guillows free flight kits back in the 70's and then did the Cox control line planes for a while. I had 9 of their models. I got into helicopters around 2006 and flew them for 6 years; I eventually gave up helis because I hated the "white knuckle" feel everytime I flew them. Enter RC airplanes. I have been at it now for almost 1.5 years and have found the hobby I love (next to firearms collecting).

Thanks to 4 trainer planes and a mentor I found while flying with my informal club, I have progressed pretty well and now fly mostly WWII warbirds. I have the PZ T-28, 3 actually, and they are a blast to fly. I also have a Parkzone Albatross and she is a wonderful flyer; I fly with a gentleman who has a Tiger Moth and he loves it and it flies similar to my Albatross. I plan on getting the PZ S.E.5a as soon as the PNP version becomes available.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Chuckso.........I hear ya on the "white" knuckle heli aspect......lol......once I realized that my pilot skills on the 450 ccp's were not going to get anymore advanced than scale......and the $$$ issues......I've found planks to be sooooooooo much more "up my alley"..........and much easier to progress pilot skills.....and maintain confidence.....lol

Thanks for the tip on the Albatross (see other post).....!

AMA 928214
Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 View Post
I also have a Parkzone Albatross and she is a wonderful flyer; I fly with a gentleman who has a Tiger Moth and he loves it and it flies similar to my Albatross. I plan on getting the PZ S.E.5a as soon as the PNP version becomes available.
I have the PZ SE5a and it's a wonderful plane, probably a bit better flier than the Alby (depending on who you ask ). I also have a whole buncha Tiger Moths. The GWS 400-size is a super-amazing wonderful flier, very light, very floaty, mildly acrobatic. It was my third plane, and I think that was about right.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Chucksolo69

Cool, I have heard that the PZ S.E.5a flies more docile than the PZ Albatross. It sounds like a fun plane. I enjoy zooming around the sky with my other warbirds, but love the nice docile, slow flying characteristics of the WWI warbirds.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
GBLynden

Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by BaronBernie View Post
Everyone is different in there selecton of there first three micro starter planes. For me it was 1) night vapor (still my favorite), 2) ember 2, and 3) hz champ. My second selection would have been 1) nutball, 2) ft flyer and 3) ft old fogey from flitetest. The flitetest planes are simple and fun planes that would be built from scratck wth free downloadable plans. www.flitetest.com
These are great options as well!

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Never flown the Pole Cat, but it's hard to argue with the Champ as a great trainer, and the T-28 as a great aileron trainer.

I think my ultra-micros went: Night Vapor, J-3 Cub, T-28. That Cub is a great little plane. I'm sad they discontinued it.
I would put the Pole Cat on par with this plane making either a good their plane option if one is going the micro route. I had the V1 Mustang as my second plane and that was big mistake, for me anyway:

YouTube Video

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
That's kinda what I liked about it.

YouTube Video
Great flying and intro on your video! How did you do that?

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Chuckso.........I hear ya on the "white" knuckle heli aspect......lol......once I realized that my pilot skills on the 450 ccp's were not going to get anymore advanced than scale......and the $$$ issues......I've found planks to be sooooooooo much more "up my alley"..........and much easier to progress pilot skills.....and maintain confidence.....lol

Thanks for the tip on the Albatross (see other post).....!
I have an Alby too. I have a love/hate relationship with that plane. Someone as experienced as you can certainly handle it and love it, however. It is the favorite plane of my friends by far due to looks on the ground and in the air.

YouTube Video
Old 05-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
Chucksolo69

Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
These are great options as well!

I would put the Pole Cat on par with this plane making either a good their plane option if one is going the micro route. I had the V1 Mustang as my second plane and that was big mistake, for me anyway:

YouTube Video

Great flying and intro on your video! How did you do that?

I have an Alby too. I have a love/hate relationship with that plane. Someone as experienced as you can certainly handle it and love it, however. It is the favorite plane of my friends by far due to looks on the ground and in the air.

YouTube Video
That's the way I feel about my PZ UM Spitfire AS3X. Looks great in the sky but just doesn't fly very well.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #20
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Friends: (15)

I see alot of these micros comming into the market but most of them fly like bumble bees. Either they fly to fast for a beginner or they fly poorly for a beginner . They cant handle any wind to speak of and landing them is another trip. They are not realy great flyng in a gym in winter . They look nice sitting on a shelf for display but they make plastic models for that alot cheaper. Yes i own the small E- flight beast that i fly it around my yard but if i was selling any of my electrict planes the beast would be first on my list to go . For the price they charge for them and a couple more bucks you can buy a bigger plane and fly more . Sorry just my two cents . joe
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
Chucksolo69

The UM Spitfire is the only micro I have left. I agree, There are bigger planes out there that I enjoy.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #22
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 View Post
The UM Spitfire is the only micro I have left. I agree, There are bigger planes out there that I enjoy.
Yes bigger planes fly better and you can see them better .I watched this thread for a while and could not take it any longer . I fly real big stuff but i own smaller ones over 34 to 36 inch wing span .Anything smaller than that and its a kite. joe
Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #23
stevecooper
Super Contributor

View stevecooper's Gallery86
Club: Mullet Mauroders
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (88)

Ember is a great little train'in plane,Had several kids start on it and go on to fly other stuff,
Road-King, I like both, UM's are a Hoot,, try my 4-SITE or Extra 300 UM's, there a whole lotta cool, or my mirco melineum SS with 250 E-Flite Outie and a 8/4.5 prop, 50+ MPH or low and slow, try UM, you'll like UM,
bubsteve

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1354.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	169121   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1187.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	169122   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1095.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	169123  

Monkey Minion'air
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #24
mattman0182
Luftwaffe Ace

I fly the micros more than anything else because of ease of transportation and my fairly limited space in which to fly. Theyare also cheaper to fix and take less damage in a crash.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #25
road king 97
old hat

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by mattman0182 View Post
I fly the micros more than anything else because of ease of transportation and my fairly limited space in which to fly. Theyare also cheaper to fix and take less damage in a crash.
I will give that matt they can fly in tight places as long as there is no wind and they are light enough so they dont get hurt . Here in the windy city you need a heavyer plane if you want to last in this hobby or you could find your plane in IN . joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners