When I read the review, build, & video of this great scale STOL, I had to have it. The size is perfect, superb detail, & quite simple to assemble. I ordered one from BH & it arrived in 5 days with some external damage to the shipping box courtesy of FedEx. Fortunately, the contents were intact with no damage due to excellent double boxing & thick foam box walls. After removing the contents & examining & evaluating the entire plane, I decided to do a bit of modification/improvements.
Michael Heer's assembly video was quite handy since there were no instructions in the box & I later got the data for the correct CG. Here are the pics of the mods I did & an explanation in order of photos:
1) I made a small alum. lift tab as the lower fuse battery cover was glued(factory) to the latch plate. A very thin machinist 6" steel ruler separated it easily & the lift tab makes it much easier to remove the cover.
2) The 13 X 6 wooden prop was almost perfect with only a 1/4" piece of Scotch tape to make it dead-on.
3) I enlarged the LG tab screw holes with a .092 drill in my pin vise so as not to round-out the Phillips head soft Chinese screws when attaching the LG tabs to secure the LG.
4) I decided to epoxy the entire LG mounting area since it is plastic(grrrrr).
5) The screws securing the LG covers have a hex head & not a Phillips....keep that in mind.
6) After bending the LG to widen the stance, some of the inside area of the covers where the LG fit had to be removed at an angle to refit the LG covers for the modified LG angle change.
7) I used Dubro steel LG tabs to secure the LG instead of the crappy plastic.
8/9) I had to do some light sanding to the lower fuse radius to refit the LG assembly & then painted the exhaust tubes flat black on the LG cover.
10) After installing the horiz./vert. stabs., I could see the rudder clevis hit the horiz. stab when full left & full down. I cut a small notch for clearance.
11) CG marked at 80mm.
12) Battery location for correct CG with a 4000mah battery was quite a bit forward of the batt. tray.
13) I cut & fit a piece of plywood for a forward battery support.
14) Plywood epoxied in place & Velcro added.
15/16/17) All finished & ready for maiden.
18/19) The modified LG stance was now 14.5" on the tire C/L.
20) I changed the tires to 4" for grass & the LG collet set screws had to be drilled out since they were Loctited & the soft hex head rounded out. I replaced them with Dubro 7/32 hole collets drilled out on the lathe with a "C" drill(.240) that fit perfectly.
Additional: I removed the cowl & checked the firewall, motor mounting, & all the screws to insure all was nice & tight/secure. I had to gently sand the (2) wing carbon fibre rods as they were extremely tight & wouldn't allow the wings to fully close & latch. After installing my Spektrum AR600, I tested all the movements of the control surfaces & assigned the flaps to the left slider on my JR10X for a gradual application of the flaps....nice.
I really like this plane & am anxious to maiden when the weather finally decides to cooperate. It is a beautiful scale rendition of the Dornier Do-27 German Army plane that began service in 1956. Attached are links to the BH listing, & Michael Heer's build & maiden videos.