Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
egrave1

Club: WAMAC
Friends: (0)
Default Balancing

I don't know if I am in the right forum or not but here goes.I bought the Dynam sbach 342 1250mm from nitro. My problem is trying to balance this airplane. They recommend the CG at 50mm which I do. But when I get it to balance at that point as soon as I touch the nose it goes all the way down and never comes back to balance and the same for the tail. I just can't get this plane to balance. When I was doing glow engine airplanes when push the nose down it came back to balance. Does anyone have any suggestion
Old 09-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

View xmech2k's Gallery21
Club: CVMRCC, SEFSD
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

Did you try turning it over? Though with a mid-wing stunt plane it may still be the cg is vertically at the wing, instead of being below the wing like a high wing, or a low wing balanced upside down.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

The issue is the mid wing design and having the CG be above where you are supporting the airplane. When you are supporting from below center of mass then the plane won't self-level if disturbed.
This is why high wings are always balanced upright and low wings are often balanced inverted.
Mid wing can have the CG centerline the wing and thus have center of mass above where you support it both upright and inverted.

CG is actually a point in 3 dimensions event hough we typically only check in the fore-aft and occasionally side-side there is also a vertical component.

A way to find exact CG is to hang the plane with 3 strings all coming together to a single point and then hang a plumb bob from the same point. The plumb bob will point at the CG. Readjust so the plane is hanging at a different angle and the plumb bob will still be aimed at the CG.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

As noted in previous replies, try it both upright and inverted and see if it's stable either way. if not it's not really a big deal, just find the point where it balances level for a moment or two and where it's just as likely to tip either way.

I never get too excited about precise CG position. For the maiden if in doubt err toward slight nose heaviness then you make your fine adjustment based on how it flies. After all it's how it flies that's important rather than replicating the CG position advised in the manual to the last millimetre.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
egrave1

Club: WAMAC
Friends: (0)

Thanks for the help I will find where it balance's at the CG and try to fly it

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions