Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 09-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Friends: (4)
Default AR7200BX gyro gain

The manual of the AR7200BX calls for gyro gain to be set on the gear. I don't understand this, as I thought that even spektrum radios you can apply gear to any channel. I just figured it meant channel 5, the usual channel for gear. I have assigned a pot to the channel, and the AR7200BX does show it works, the lights going up in both rate and head locking. At zero gain authority is horrible, and it seems to improve on higher gain, but changing also seems to adjust rudder trim. Moving the pot right, heli piros right, left, heli piros left. Even during zero throttle, moving the pot right I see the tail blades in increasing pitch. I don't know what the issue is. I can't see it being the 9xr, it's simply telling the BeastX gain settings, there are no trim mixes.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (8)

Yes 'gear' is channel 5, this is just how Spektrum refer to the fifth channel. Sounds like you have some sort of mix buried in the Tx programming somewhere. Adjusting tail gain should not move rudder trim.

Best option might be to just do a clean setup from scratch on a spare model memory.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

It is a fresh model though, I made a new one after the pitch change on throttle cut issue. I only have the basic mixes for curves and throttle cut, and one mix on 5 that is p3 100% on, meaning pot 3 is always on and adjusts gain.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Is it the 9x you are using? I'm not familiar with the 9x but I'm suprised that you need a mix to operate the gear channel (cha 5) from a pot. has the Tx not got switch assignment meaning you can just set the pot to operate channel 5 directly, without a mix?
Old 09-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Well the mix menu is for assignment too, allowing me to assign any switch to a channel. I could use throttle cut for a gear switch if I want. I could also do 100% p3 gear which would be pot 3 working when gear switch is on, and no gain when it is off.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I'm out of ideas then, sorry. Gyro gain certainly shouldn't cause the heli to turn one way or the other.

Only thing i can suggest is to go through the mechanical and software setup methodically from scratch. Things that seen unrelated like a bad bearing or bent shaft can cause vibrations that do all sorts of strange things to FBL controllers, even a sticky ball link or suchlike can do strange stuff, so it's best when you get these 'inexplicable' issues to start from the basics and check everything. These issues are all the more likely if the heli has been crashed.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I'm wondering if the heli needs to be restarted after gain is changed. It was piroing last night, now it's holding true.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

No, gain is something that can be changed 'on the fly'... I change my tail gain between different flight modes all the time.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

It's very strange to me. I was just adjusting it now and rudder wasn't changing, although this wasn't during flight, but last night gain changed the rudder when the heli wasn't running.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #10
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Oh well, it sounds like whatever the issue was is now fixed
Old 09-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Very strange tho, it's been doing that ever since I had the heli, although I thought it was normal as it allowed me center the tail, now it holds perfect. Dang technology, who needs it...wait the heli does to fly. Now to build up confidence to fly the 450, it is scary just hearing the menacing sound of the blades on idle up.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #12
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Club: AMA, Marks, Pomona Valley, Prado Dam
Friends: (3)
Wink

Curious if the program settings were within the "parameter menu" set-up and if the "optimal gain" exercise (the manual provides) was performed....?

It also appears the RX has several program options that relate to "refining" tail servo performance as well as the "Tail Dynamic" gain settings which should be coordinated with any "personal" changes to the factory settings.........

Since it's been awhile since I studied any of the new Spektrum FBL RX's....after having reviewed the AR 7200BX, I'm quite impressed with the many options and refinements that can be simply programmed through the reciever and taylored to taste with the TX........sure wish this technology had been around when I was into Heli's......I'd probably still be tossing a 450 around every Saturday.......

Note:

Like JPF mentioned, going through and reviewing the program settings afew more times, prior to the next serious flight, on the RX and TX, checking to confirm ALL required "coorindinated" functions are per "manufactures recommended" parameters...not just factory preset, should be considered.....assuming everything is "ok" now since the performance "seems" fine, is leaving things to chance and reoccurrance.........
With more complicated heli's, leave nothing to chance, double-triple checking EVERYTHING and continued understanding of the equipment limits/parameters, exhibits a mature, more responsible approach to the COMPLETE enjoyment and skill enhancment of the hobby.......

AMA 928214
Old 09-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #13
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

It is all "stock", other than centering servos (except rudder servo) and changing a few things when using it in a different heli. No gain parameters were changed.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:26 AM   #14
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Slightly off topic but if you ever want a flybarless controller that is easy to set up and performs brilliantly and all for $45 or less, then have a look at a Kbar.

ok they are clones and ethically a little 'suspect' but in terms of bang for buck they are unbeatable.

if you want stability check out this short video clip i shot yesterday... this is flying with a 'Cheapo' Kbar:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

You could just about put it in a hover and go get yourself a coffee... This is without any self leveling stabilization, GPS hold, or any other 'tricks'.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #15
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

There is no way that is a cp heli!! Wow!

Is this it here? http://www.goodluckbuy.com/kbar-5-3-...elicopter.html

How exactly does a receiver connect to it?
Old 09-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
There is no way that is a cp heli!! Wow!

Is this it here? http://www.goodluckbuy.com/kbar-5-3-...elicopter.html

How exactly does a receiver connect to it?
Yep, just a normal CP heli. To be fair it's a 700 and helis this big are a lot more stable than the small ones but even so the Kbar works great.

My 700 used a full size Kbar that has a seperate gyro senser module, but for a 450 you would want the mini version (which works just the same). The one you linked to would be fine. There are a few different versions, if you wanted one with inbuilt governor then you need the Blue 'Koala' Kbar. The grey one in your link doesnt have a governor (or LEDs) but otherwise works just the same. There is also a yellow version which has LEDs but no governor.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric Helicopters > General RC E-Heli Talk