Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 03-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
E-Challenged

Friends: (1)
Default Pat Tritle's New Stinson SR-10 Reliant

I just sent a check for Pat's new short kit for the Stinson SR-10 Reliant . This is one of the largest and most complex of Pat's lightweight designs spanning 55 inches and weight around 28 ounces. It has flaps and uses six micro servos ( 2 for the flaps), a Super Tiger .10 outrunner, a 30 amp speed control and a 2200mah 2S lipo. Pat sez it is way overpowered with the ST.10 motor. I'll use my Scorpion 2215-22, my Spektrum AR6000 reciever and a Park BEC or speed control with built in switching type BEC.
Of course I will modify the cabin and windshield to the SR-7/8 configuration. I will have to add a detailed instrument panel, and other scale details.

You can read the particulars at Pats website , Google "Pat's Custom Models" and there's a link to his reliant Ruild thread on RCG E-Zone Scale Electric Forum. While you're there look, at other recent additions like the Fleet trainer and Piper Tri-Pacer. Pats designs are noted for light weight and scale like (slow) flight performance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SR 138.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	124275  
Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
gramps2361
Community Moderator

View gramps2361's Gallery9
Club: Rocky Hill Flying Circus
Friends: (21)

That is a nice looking plane E hope you do a little build thread with this bird. I like the look's of this plane another one to add to the I want list.
John
Old 03-31-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
E-Challenged

Tis better to build a Tritle design than crash an ARF. Funny, I have never read of anybody crashing one of Tritle's designs except for my early problems with Spektrum "brownout" crashes. Built-up models are easier to repair and Pat's lightweights don't seem to make as much of an impact.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
E-Challenged

Just started a build thread on E-Zone's Scale Electric Plane forum. This is going to be a fun build and I expect it will be my "new pride and joy".
Old 05-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Club: SMAC
Friends: (2)

I'm thinking of getting Pat's Agwagon. I build better than I fly, to be truthful, I'm a terrible pilot. Any landing I don't need a trash bag, to me is a good one. They say it is easier to fly large models, but my wallet & wife don't agree.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
E-Challenged

Pat's lightweight models fly slow and scale like and land lighter on their feet than many mid-sized ARF's therefore they can last longer with minor repairs if flown in calm conditions off of smooth surfaces. An adequate, but not overly powerful or heavy motor/battery and light reliable R/C gear, must be chosen carefully to suit the model. If using a 2.4ghz receiver, 3S lipo, and four servos a Park BEC (switching type) should be used to ensure against low voltage "brownout". The model must have the cg properly located by shifing batteries, and adding nose weight, etc to correct any tail heaviness. there should be no warps in wings or tail surfaces but wing tip washout should be incorporated by shimming the wing trailing edges during assembly. Some down and right motor thrust should be built in and adjusted as needed. Control surface throws should be small until you have plane trimmed out and know it's habits. Use of a flight simulator program will help develop basic pilot skills and flying a Piper Cub type ARF would make for an easy transition to Tritle's tail dragger designs.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
E-Challenged

Default Pat's Reliant Cont'd

I have the fuselage framed up and modified to SR-7 windshield and cabin top configuration with functional side doors, plan to panel the cabin and install seats and have scale like instrument panel built with 3-spoke control wheels.

I have the Super Tiger .10 outrunner and 30 amp ST speed control installed. Will have plenty of grunt spinning 11x5.5 E prop. The thin 2200 2S lip can go on it's side between seats, in back of seats sideways, or completely concealed in a compartment in the lower part of the fuselages between hatches, depending on best placement for the final cg.

About to start gull wings and tail parts, making laminated wing tip and tail "bows" per instructions on Pat's Custom Models website. Lots of head- scratching when adding cabin details and converting from SR-10 to SR-7.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	131590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	131591  
Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
E-Challenged

Default Slow but Sloppy

I have the complex gull wings and flaps completed less servos and strut attachments. Tail feahers are done. Just completed bucket pilot and passenger seats and rear bench seats. The 2200 2S lipo will stand on its side between the bucket seats, held with Velcro. Lots of work remaining on landing gear , wheel pants and strut fairings and attachments before white and dark blue covering and application of 1937 Pepsi Cola corporate aircraft logos and images from Callie Graphics.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1833.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	134103   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1832.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	134105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stinson SR-7B Pepsi Cola.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	134106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1841.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	134107  
Old 08-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Zocane
Is A Puzzlement!

View Zocane's Gallery1
Friends: (0)

Very nice build thread. Keep it coming! I had been eyeballing the Tritle Stinson also, but I've got too much on my plate right now. It's nice to see how you're proceeding.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
E-Challenged

Default Nice Winter Project

Originally Posted by Zocane View Post
Very nice build thread. Keep it coming! I had been eyeballing the Tritle Stinson also, but I've got too much on my plate right now. It's nice to see how you're proceeding.
This one is taking much more time to build than I had planned. Of course, I have taken the time to plan and install my own cabin details, scale tail wheel, etc. The assembly of the flaps and properly joining of the two-panel Gull wings and fitting and hinging of flaps to the wings is a lot more complex than most models. Landing gear leg coverings and wheel pants, and wing strut fairings and attachments also take time. Successfully appying the two-tone white and blue covering including infamous vertical stab fillet, and Pepsi Cola graphics is also a challenge. Lucky I'm not much of a perfectionist or it would never get finished and flying.

Follow this build here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...tinson+reliant
Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
SHADY
Got Glue??

Friends: (4)

Very nice!!!

Confucius say: "Man who go to bed wif itchy butt, may wake up wif smerry finga."
Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Its hard to bring myself to build Pat's SR-10 when Parkzone has a new SR-10 that looks really good.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #13
E-Challenged

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
Its hard to bring myself to build Pat's SR-10 when Parkzone has a new SR-10 that looks really good.

The PZ Reliant looks quite nice but the wings have many pock marks like GWS foamies and the surface shows large foam cells. I've seen some pics that are not very flattering. If you don't have the time to build, the PZ Reliant should get you into the air in no time and will look great in the air.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PZ Reliant.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	134124  
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
E-Challenged

Default Gradual Progress

Since last post I have installed door panelling and added gray poster paper covering with simulated tuck and roll upholstery. I drew in details with a Sharpy pen and used side of pencil to give some 3D effects. I have the template for the rear cabin panelling and will mount the elevator and rudder servos, decide on pull pull or pushrod linkage, finish cabin side and ceiling panelling and finally install the rear set and rear shelf. I have installed rare earth magnets on the front and rear hatches. When I'm done with the cabin, it'll be landing gear leg fairings and wheel pants, struts and strut attachments and fairings. I'm glad I not a perfectionist, I'd never get this bird finished and in the air.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1854.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	135323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1855.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	135324  
Old 09-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #15
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Awesome dude. I'm doing the interior on a 185 Cessna. Will post pictures. It's being done as a Bush Plane. Lot's & lot's of little details.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #16
E-Challenged

BJ, Good on ya! On my Reliant, with the ceiling, floor, and rear of cabin panelled, I found that I can route all wires above the ceiling, under the floor and behind the rear wall. The receiver can go behind the rear wall and lipo an go under the floor so that no RC gear etc., shows in the cabin/cockpit. You can probably do the same with the C-185 or any similar design. Just don't make the thing too heavy for scale-like flight performance.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #17
E-Challenged

Default Stuck Together Pics

Lots of work left to do before covering but I made some entry ladders today and stuck things together with scotch tape. It's big, will fill the back seat of my Toyota wagon. Wings and struts are removable.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1897.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	136348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	136349  
Old 10-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #18
E-Challenged

I have added my own landing gear leg fairings of balsa and sheet foam instead of manila folder material. ABS wheel pants are held against streamlined magnet holders glued to wire gear with JB Weld "Quick" Wheel pants have magnets inside and can pivot on impact and can be removed easily for repairs, cleaning, or "flying pantsless". Wing lift struts and attachment fittings are installed. Fittings are made from nylon hinge parts, aluminum guide tubes and wire retention pins that must be aligned very carefully to allow attachement and detachment. Wings have aluminum receiver tubes slide onto brass tubes that protrude from the fuselage. Rare earth magnets in fuse;age and wings hold the wings tightly against fuselage. Getting ready to install servos and pull- pull provisons plus flap and aileron servos. Model will probably require some nose weight to get cg right due to my use of basswood longerons and tail feather parts, cabin panelling and details.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1904.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	137314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1905.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	137315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1908.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	137316  
Old 12-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #19
E-Challenged

Just got back to working on the Stinson after a number of months but then came down with five days worth of "something I ate". Am in the installation of servos and linkage stage and will be getting ready to cover and finish the project.

Went crazy and bought a foamy Parkzone Stinson Reliant SR-10 for no good reason other than it was my 72nd birthday. This ARF foamy flies like a dream. I hooked up the optional flaps and that adds a lot of interest shooting short take offs, slow fly-bys, and soft landings with smooth transitions. I have only up/down flaps with not automatic down elevator mix. Loops. rolls and flies inverted easily. Like the real Reliant's, no special tendency to stall at low speeds such as turning on final, handles well in gusty wind plenty of power with included motor and speed control.

Balsa tritle Reliant: I have the pull pull rudder, pushrod elevator and tail wheel linkage set up on now, have some 20 hours of steady work including covering and Pepsi-Cola corporate aircraft graphics.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #20
E-Challenged

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
I'm thinking of getting Pat's Agwagon. I build better than I fly, to be truthful, I'm a terrible pilot. Any landing I don't need a trash bag, to me is a good one. They say it is easier to fly large models, but my wallet & wife don't agree.
Seriously, larger, lightly built models designed for modern electric power and RC gear are easier to builld, fly much better, and are much easier to fly than Guillows conversions, etc. Tritle's high wing monoplane models like the Cessna 140 might be a better choice if you are a low time flier. Spending $40 converting a smaller wingspan Guillows or Dumas kit is not a lot cheaper and the likelihood of enjoying many pleasing flights with them is not nearly as good due to higher wingloading and many decisions to be made in mounting of components choice of motors and batteries,
Pat Tritle has build logs on E-Zone Scale Electric Planes forum for most of his designs and lots of how-to info on his website. If you are really a beginning builder, you might look at Mountain Models J-3 Cub or Cessna 180.

Of course there are some inexpensive foamy ARF high wingers that will get you some flying experience and they are easy to repair with epoxy etc. I have the Park Zone foam Stinson Reliant and love the way it flies even though I am not an ARF foam model fan.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #21
Gunnar155

Club: Palouse Region R/C Flyers
Friends: (9)

Looking forward to the rest of the build

Gunnar
Old 03-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #22
E-Challenged

Have made considerable progress installing servos and linkage, making streamlined struts, etc. Final sanding and covering and graphics not far off. Go here for details:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...tinson+reliant
Old 04-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #23
E-Challenged

Default Progress Report, Fuselage is Covered

For those of you who will not venture over to my RCG E-Zone build thread, here are some pics of the fuselage which is now covered in basic white Solarfilm. I chose Solarfilm for its opacity with relative lightness. The tail fillet on Reliants is a challenge but it came out quite well. I made cutting patterns for the covering from manila folder material, avoids mistakes and waste of covering. Model will have two-tone white and dark blue plus Pepsi Cola corporate aircraft graphics.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	146262   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	146263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reliant 004.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	146264  
Old 04-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #24
dumo01
dumo01

Club: Westerville Model Aeronautics Assc
Friends: (7)

Great build!!
Looking forward to seeing it in the air
Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #25
E-Challenged

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
Great build!!
Looking forward to seeing it in the air
Me too, My build is the opposite of instant gratification? That's why I bought the Park Zone foamy SR-10 as a trainer, with flaps. I would recommend the PZ Reliant to anyone who has basic tail dragger flying skills, it's a cat and does multiole loops, rolls and inverted,

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scale E-Powered Aircraft