Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Kraydune

Friends: (0)
Default Sig midstar 40 conversion

Hello all,
I am getting back into the hobby and want to build a sig 4 star 40 kit and convert it to electric. I am new to electric planes with the exception of my t28 trojan. I had the midstar years ago with an O.S. 46. I am looking for advice and/or opinions on mods for this plane.

1. I am wanting 200 watts per pound want plenty of power for unlimited vertical and hovering
2. want to lighten the plane, to do this would I just make to holes in ply bigger and add some where there is room? Also the fuselage has a ply doubler, can this be removed or lessened by going electric?
3. I am thinking of making built up stab and rudder and control surfaces instead of using the kit method.
4 I would like to enlarge the control surfaces ail, rudder and elevator- 1/4 to 1/2 inch, not sure how much is needed
5' I will be going with dual aileron servos and not sure how light a servo can be used.

Thanks in advance for any info on these mods and if they are needed or not
Old 10-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Kraydune

Also I am building this in the tail dragger version and I am looking at this motor with 6s setup at the advertized weight of the kit and as I lighten it not sure which motor would be best to go with.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dproduct=41049
Old 10-04-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (19)

Kray, The yellow one? Looks like you have some work cut out for you with the mods you're planning. I've been eyeing this one for a while : http://www.sigplanes.com/SIG-4-Star-...ARF_p_116.html

I've converted a GP Escapade and GP Cherokee both with Powerup 46's from Headsuprc.com http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...otor-F-586.htm Running 5S on these and the Phoenix Tucano & VQ Beaver. Lot's of power for 6-7 lb plane! $2.00 shipping

The SK3 series motors from HK are nice too. Good quality I have a few 1000 kv versions for some smaller craft like the GP Sportster.

Good luck on the build !

Hawk
Old 10-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
Kraydune

Thanks for the reply, the info there helps alot as I am new to electric plane conversions
Old 11-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #5
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT

www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368

If you are new to electric this may be helpful.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)