Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Turner
Super Contributor

Friends: (3)
Default E-Flite Advance 25e

Anyone seen this yet?

52.5" wingspan
Just under 4 pounds
Power 25 or 32

Looks like a fun plane for a hundred dollars.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Re...#quickFeatures

Old 10-22-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

View guapoman2000's Gallery56
Friends: (11)
Thumbs up Alternative Power System Idea

Picked up this great looking model and most especially light wing loading at HOBBY-TOWN USA in Central Florida and got 10% off plus I will have a $15.00 coupon next time I come back!

Going to setup with my own motor and for speed such that it will sport nothing over 9 inch diameter propeller and 8-pitch using 3-Cells and a 1100Kv motor.

I am certainly going to keep my model on the light side and I already have the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) waiting for it. Yes, I do realize it is half the weight of the recommended E-Flite Power 25 and the Center-Of-Gravity will be paid attention by using some 3-Cell, 3650's that I have lying around.

Here is the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv):
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...505#quickSpecs

6.7 (E-Flite Power 25) - 3.1 (E-Flite 480, 1020Kv) = 3.6 oz is the delta weight comparison between the recommended and what I will be using.

Seems like a good power system setup as it provides very good Airspeed and keeping the model light as possible.

This model has a very slick airframe but, lets give it some drag and so, I would estimate a top speed of 65MPH instead of the Calculated.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Smile For the Nay Sayers...

Just in case anyone doubts the power of the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) power system then, I would point you all to one RC Model that I still have and fly using this same power system

Right here on the Video you can see a larger and heavier World Models (Airborne-Models is the distributor) P-51D Mustang EP-40.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Alternative Power System Idea

Hi guys!

For those that "are" interested in following an alternative power system than what is recommended (I did this for several models in the past) then, feast your eyes on what I was able to accomplished last night with respect to installing the lighter but, capable E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) with the ParkZone 2-Blade 9.75 X 7.5 using ParkZone Propeller adapter.

The spacer hardware were a mix of some E-Flite spacer hardware for the mini-Pulse and the rest was standard Dubro Hardware. Notice that I did not use that Hex Bolts from the mini-Pulse as I needed them longer so, I used some Du-Bro 4-40 X 1 1/2 Bolts

A few pictures:

This is an earlier Picture showing the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) with the wires in the down position but, notice that I did not have to use the additional Motor Mount - Spacer!

For correct down and right thrust, I used washers at the top:

Old 10-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #5
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Using the proven E-Flite 30-AMP Switch mode ESC it was perfect and does not get in the way of installing my plan of using the smaller 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C discharge, Li-POLYs

Also, decided on using a rock solid AR500 that I have been using with a retired ParkZone T-28 "Navy" that finally had an issue with the Stock Motor and the model needs some down time for needed repairs.

Could not use those STOCK wheels provided by the model as I like to have a better command of the model while TAXI operations on my RC Club with lumpy Grass field so, I went with some super light "FOAM" wheels (they look for Glow, right!) and they fit perfect with the provided STOCK heavy duty Landing Gear Hardware!

Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

I like a true believer of recommendations with regard to Pilot Figure for this model, I paid $9.99 plus tax on the recommended Pilot Figure at my local hobby store and to my horror, the instructions say to CUT AWAY a portion of the bottom section in order for the Canopy to clear!!!

Nope, I selected a nice Pilot Figure that did not need "Any" modifications (World Models Pilot Figure) and it matches the color scheme of this model to the T.

The Pilot Figure that I paid $9.99 will be going back to the Hobby Store!

I selected the one on the LEFT!

Old 10-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #7
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Okay guys,

All I need to complete is the wing and tail feathers along with hinging the control surfaces and installing the control horns.

If you have not already noticed, I am using the light but, high torque servos known as Hitec HS-85MG (Metal Gear) through out this model.

Again, my main goal is to keep the model as light as possible without cutting or any major modifications to the airframe and using the provided hardware as much as possible.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up My Maiden Flight using the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv)!

my power system setup on this new E-Flite Advance 25e while using the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) motor!

Well, let me come CLEAN and say that it flew more than I anticipated and beyond. It was blowing at least 12 MPH when I took the model off on its maiden Flight and performed beyond my expectations!!

Here is the Video during the FUN-FLY at my RC CLub from this morning!

Thank you Mark for Video capturing the action!

Old 10-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #9
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Exclamation My Maiden Flight using the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv)!

Okay,

First a few pictures of my weigh-in setup using a digital scale and my kitchen area.

FUSE without Battery:

FUSE with Battery (3-Cell, 5000mAH, 12C, Li-POLY):

Battery:

Wing assembly:

Therefore,

Wing Assembly: 21 3/8oz.

FUSE w/o Batt: 24 3/4oz. (Yes, the picture shows 1lbs. - 9oz. but, I did get a more steady reading of 1lbs. - 8 3/4oz.)

Battery: 12 7/8oz.

Since 3/8 + 3/4 + 7/8 = 2oz.

Thereby, the total FULL UP WEIGHT of my Advance "is"

59oz. "Or" 3.68lbs.

Since I measured 223 Watts steady,

223 / 3.68 = 60.6 Watts/Lbs.

Certainly, this low Watts did not prevent the model to perform loops, rolls and good airspeed considering the high gusty conditions we had today at the RC Club.

The landing was completely DEAD STICK!

I am happy as I was amazed how short a runway run it needed not withstanding the gusty conditions.

It was rock solid in the air and again, I am not trying to compete with anyone here just experimenting and having fun with what I had in my hobby drawer.

I was hoping to use the smaller 3-Cell, 2200mAH, Li-POLYs but, in order to have the correct Center-Of-Gravity and avoid a nasty AFT C-of-G, I was forced to use the larger and heaver, 5000mAH pack which resulted in a perfect Center-Of-Gravity. I learned that this model was built very strong and the tail boom just does not allow for any weight savings while using a lighter power system, nevertheless, it flew great with the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv).

I can't wait to fly the model in a more calm conditions as I know that I may not be able to knife edge, who knows but, the important thingy here for me "is" that the model does perform in all the categories that I was looking for.

Ta Ta!
Carlos
Old 10-23-2011, 02:48 AM   #10
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Post Maiden Pictures!

Some post Maiden Flight Pictures!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

45 Minute Thermal Duration  30 Minute Thermal Duration 

Sounds like you have a great flying plane and even using a 480 motor it sounds like it flies great. Nothing wrong with using 60 watts per pound to fly on. Most people over power their planes to the point of being way over powered. I saw a chart that showed a sport plane needs 50 to 100 watts to fly and that sounds about right. The 100 would be on the high side for sport planes, but not outrages power anyway. In the 60's we used a .45 engine in a plane that now calls for a .61 at least. I can remember seeing a Smog Hog flying on a .35 and it flew great. Then came the 70's and everyone started using piped engines and flying it FAST! Now they have 3D planes that hover at 1/2 throttle and that is WAY over board to my way of thinking. I guess it's what ever winds your crank. Hope you enjoy it for years to come and as always, have fun.

Ed
Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by mred View Post
Sounds like you have a great flying plane and even using a 480 motor it sounds like it flies great. Nothing wrong with using 60 watts per pound to fly on. Most people over power their planes to the point of being way over powered. I saw a chart that showed a sport plane needs 50 to 100 watts to fly and that sounds about right. The 100 would be on the high side for sport planes, but not outrages power anyway. In the 60's we used a .45 engine in a plane that now calls for a .61 at least. I can remember seeing a Smog Hog flying on a .35 and it flew great. Then came the 70's and everyone started using piped engines and flying it FAST! Now they have 3D planes that hover at 1/2 throttle and that is WAY over board to my way of thinking. I guess it's what ever winds your crank. Hope you enjoy it for years to come and as always, have fun.

Ed
Ed,

Thanks for your reply and comments. I do remember the days of the 70's as I was already into this hobby as a young lad.

I was hoping to fly my Advance using the smaller 3-cell, 2200mAH but, nope, this model was built strong and there is NO opening for vent cooling anywhere in the Tail Boom and thereby, it is completely sheeted using thick balsa / light plywood which to me only explains why I had to use the heavier battery packs I had in my Hobby Drawer and those were the 3-Cell, 5,000mAH, 12C discharge, Li-POLYs!

Nevertheless, you are correct, the model flew just great with the smaller than recommended, E-Flite 480 (1020Kv) Motor and Park Zone Propeller even though there was 12 MPH wind gusts. I just Love the Looks of this model as it reminds me of those Glow models from years past.

I am hoping to get some high resolution pictures and more Video while calmer conditions.

Thanks again for visiting!
Carlos
Old 10-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I had to use a 3S 4000MAh battery in my Super Sportster just to get the CG right, so putting a bigger battery in there is not all that bad. At least you get longer flying time and don't have to worry about landing after 5 minuets just to recharge the battery again. I changed the speed 600 can motor out for a brushless and LiPo battery and can get 30 minuets easy on that battery without getting to low on it. Makes for some fun flying. At first I had a 200W motor in it and it flew great on that thing. That comes out to around 60 Watts a pound while that motor was in there and it flew great at that power level. I later changed it out to a slightly bigger motor because I needed that one for another plane and couldn't put the bigger motor in it. They do fly great at lower power levels though.

Ed
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up

Thanks for your reply Ed.

Again, I am just someone trying to fly a nice looking Sport Model with what I had in my Hobby Drawer and nothing more.

For those that want to go the recommended, nothing wrong with that.

I am sharing what I did in case anyone might be interested.

Carlos
Old 10-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #15
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

There isn't a thing in the world wrong with going smaller on the motor if it will work. Most planes are over powered anyway and can stand a smaller motor for flying. That just means it won't go vertical forever and flies on the wing more. I recon that was why they put that wing on there anyway. Most people seem to go the other way and put a bigger motor in there so they can go vertical forever. I never did go for that kind of power.

My 200W motor in that Super Sportster was a great motor and would do everything I wanted it to do and then some. I really enjoyed flying it that way. It was a nice relaxing plane to fly. I had to put the bigger motor in there later simply because that bigger motor would not fit in the glider I needed to put a motor in, so I swapped them out. I went to a 350W motor and flew it at reduced throttle anyway.

Ed
Old 10-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #16
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Ed,

Yes, for now I am going to try and fly it a few more times to see if ~61 Watts/lbs. gets sort of old hat but, I like a slow and stable ship that I can have slow rolls and loops. I will see if I can knife edge (doubt it with this power but,who knows!)!
Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Carlos
Old 10-26-2011, 01:53 AM   #17
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Hey Carlos - just so you know. If you are so unhappy by all means leave RCG.

Just so you know - I am the author of that article. And you are not giving the full story here. But I don't really care. What I won't allow is the review thread to be taken down into the gutter - nor will the Editor at RCG.

The review threads very much belong to us - the Authors. We write them and it is our contributed content. We are agents of RCG and we have had issues with the review threads getting out of line. Start your own thread with your power system.

By the way I will ignore your personal attack one me here - even though it violates the rules here too. So I am posting as a member, not a mod.

A couple of things you might want to consider. Thread crapping is in poor taste anywhere. You post 3-4 posts in a row - many consider it just that. Why not do just one post with your content. When you post, then post again in a couple of minutes, then again it gets kinda old and just looks like you are working on your post count.

The really amazing thing is when you get after people for doing exactly the same thing in "your" threads as I did in my review thread. Here you tell a newbie to go post and ask somewhere else and not clutter your thread. Sad really to dismiss a newbie to not post for help in your thread.

Your post:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...9&postcount=35

So it is OK for you to do that - but not me?

So again - maybe you should keep your fight with RCG at RCG not here.

Mike
Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #18
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Mike Llewellyn,

Okay, sorry Mike I agree with a few points you have made.

If you like I will delete what ever you feel it is necessary.

Again, I do not mean to come across in a negative manner.

I feel that the Authors should have control like in the Blogs to delete what they feel is inappropriate.

I have deleted my post at the link you provided.

Thanks!
Carlos
Old 10-26-2011, 02:23 AM   #19
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Again, I do not mean to come across in a negative manner.

Thanks!
Carlos
I appreciate that. I don't think any of us do.

Now on to the advance. I know you are happy with a ~60w/lb power system but I honestly don't feel many will agree that is enough for spirited sport flight and aerobatics. It is nifty that you tried it - and are happy with it. I think had you been able to trim a pound off the Advance the 480 power system would be very comparable to the Power 25 setup.

While I have had planes in the 30w/lb range - they were not sport ships. I have also had EDF models in the 230w/lb that I considered to be marginal. So there is a very big spread on what works - no question.

My advance is setup for 111w/lb and it does well. What I really like is what you and others point out - this is a fantastic under $100 model.

Mike
Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 AM   #20
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Mike,

I wish I had saved one US Pound! Nope! I had to use that Large Honking 3-Cell, 5,000mAH, 12C, Li-POLY to balance it out.

I was so disappointed. My buddy told me that I would have needed to relocate both of my FUSE servos near the battery compartment but, I suspect that even that would not counter the heavy Tail boom.

Nevertheless, this is such a nice model and great looking at that.

Plus it is VERY well made and at a very good price.

Carlos
Old 10-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #21
Turner
Super Contributor

Carlos,

First let me say that I have enjoyed many of your posts and threads. I especially enjoyed the one on the trainer you picked up for free. I have a thing for high wing trainers and enjoyed following your efforts and I think you did it in a very positive and friendly way.

I don't think anyone minds you posting about your 480 setup but the way you went about it was quite a bit different than the other threads I mentioned. It's almost as though you wanted to be challenged and were intent on stirring up trouble. It seems you are knocking anyone that wants a bit more power. You went to lengths to defend your choices even though no one really challenged you. Post 14 above wasn't really necessary.

I'm glad you found my old ignored thread and brought it to life. I would like to have one of these someday. I love that they have tried a sheeted foam wing on this one. I wish HH would offer some color scheme choices on many of their balsa offerings. I don't have anything against red, white, and blue but it's not what I would choose for an RC model.

I hope you can use these comments in a constructive way and continue to show the world what you are up to and keep it friendly.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #22
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Post #14 has been edited.

Thanks Turner!

My wish is a Yellow Covered Sport Model with Black Trim Sheets on the bottom for orientation. This I believe is so true when you do have over 100 Watts / lbs. and setup provides for a fast Sports Model.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #23
Turner
Super Contributor

I agree. This new offering from Hangar 9 is a good example. Highly visible. Not too crazy graphics. I like it a lot.

59" Katana 50 ARF, .46-.55

Old 10-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #24
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thumbs up This is a fantastic RC Flying Sport Model!

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 (@ Moon Port Modelers RC Club)

Oh my lord! This model is such a great flyer!!!

I was successful with the model's Official 2nd and 3rd Flights as Saturday, Oct. 22nd, 2011, the maiden was successful in 12 MPH gusts.

Wednesday early morning was completely Dead Calm and cloudy but, the Sun did break through some clouds to allow for good visibility.

I placed my flight timer for 9 minutes for each flight and used a Generic 3-Cell, 5,000mAH, 12C, Li-POLY and perform well and measured 11.5 Volts after the 2nd flight.

The 3rd flight I inserted a slightly larger Turnigy 3-Cell, 5,000mAH, 25C discharge, Li-POLY (relatively new pack) and my goodness the model performed much more lively in all commanding for loops, inverted flight, rolls, and it did hold knife edge for a short period. The best were the Hammer Heads as the model exhibited very good up line and topped out about 20 feet up before I kicked in Right or Left Rudder for some spectacular Hammer Heads. The Turnigy Battery pack exhibited 11.78 Volts measurement after the 3rd flight.

At the end of the 2nd flight, the landing was done with Dead Stick and it glided in very well and kissed the grass field with much graceful manner. At the end of the 3rd and last flight for today, I purposely came in with some slight power (1/5 throttle) and it came in with great response from Rudder inputs and I was able to touch down right at the targeted Construction material used for a make-shift runway at this club.

The best results were using the recently acquired Turnigy 3-Cell, 5,000mAH, 25C discharge, Li-POLYs as this brought the model a slight step up with additional punch and airspeed.

Everyone at the Club estimates the top speed at level flight of 55 - 60 MPH as I expected.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #25
mred
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Sounds like you have a great flying model. Nothing like flying around on a lazy afternoon and enjoying a friendly sky. Sure beats fighting the wind, doesn't it? You should try flying at our field most of the time. We generally have 20mph winds with a 90 deg cross wind in the afternoon and nice turbulence from the trees along the side of the field. Fun like you wouldn't believe with a light plane. Glad you had a good day though. It's great flying in calm winds and relaxing so you can enjoy the flying without fighting it.

With that narrow fuselage, I don't think you will get great good knife edge unless you go to a bigger motor or LOTS of rudder. My Kaos is the same way. Narrow fuselage so it will not knife edge very well, but it flies fantastic other then that. If the wing tips are flat, you could try putting some clear side force generators on them to help with knife edge.

Ed

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion)