Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)
Old 09-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #1
Friends: (0)
Default Airfield RC F4U Corsair 1450mm Warbird

Hello, I purchased the above plane and out of the box it had a dislocated hinge on the left wing, the plan/instructions are a joke to read and figure out. They are truly bad. So, does anyone have any improvement ideas other than sending it back to Nitroplanes? I have noticed it is strong in places and extremely weak in others-ie, the hinges on the wings and flaps are very challenging. I haven't put power to it yet to open the landing gear to check them. That's pretty much it for now.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Ya got any Beeman's?
View xmech2k's Gallery21
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  1kW  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Hi Randy. I guess no one here has this plane or they might have helped you already, so I guess the things I've read about it are the next best thing?

First, I wouldn't be satisfied getting a broken plane new out of the box, but then it's Nitroplanes, who have a little reputation, so it's a matter of testing the waters and see how much you want to 'battle city hall'. If you're comfortable re-hinging that aileron, you might just want to save yourself the headache. Is all up to you.

As far as the rest of the control surfaces being "challenging", I have to admit I don't understand what you mean by that.

Lastly, I think the Airfield label is what they called FMS planes while Nitroplanes carried it. So if it is an FMS Corsair, I've read (and seen at our field) they are notorious for retract issues and an aft cg. Hate to direct someone to other forums, but RCGroups should have a thread or 2 about this plane. You may want to find one there and see the recommended cg from people who have successfully flown it and find their fix to the retract issues. (Which may have been as simple as setting the gear channel end points in their tx to certain settings, I forgot exactly. ) Good luck! I love the Corsair and I'm tempted to get an FMS one, but I wish they'd put a retracting tail wheel on it, or I'd have to mod it myself.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Default My airfield largecorsair

Hi xmech2k,
Thanks for replying. What I meant by challenging is they look weak and fragile. If I could re-enforce them with some type of glue gel so they stay put, that will be better. Also, I have heard that these particular planes do have weak retracts and many troubles with them. Although it's been noted they have improved them. I will see when I assemble the plane if I can find some descent instructions to put it together with. I do know I will be using my own DX6i and AR636 AS3X receiver in it instead of what came in the RTF model.
Thanks again. Anybody got any other ideas?
Old 02-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
Default Assembly Instruction Manual...

I purchased the same kit and am miffed at how poor the assembly instructions are. Did you ever find any, and if not, do you have suggestions for how best to assemble this model? A couple of pics of the servo tray config would be helpful for me if that's the best you can do.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
Super Contributor
Friends: (2)

All of the planes made of EPO and using the foam as the hinges will eventually need to be re-hinged. I tend to find that THICKER foam in the hinge line leads to it failing faster.

For example one small bump ripped the rudder off of the Dynam 1250mm P-51, but the rest of the hinges have survived more than a year... Elevator hinges still look OK but the ailerons are looking ready for re-hinging.

I re-hinge with standard CA hinges slotted in centered on the original hinge line after sanding the fixed surface TE flat and sanding to touch up the V of the control surface LE.

Not much experience with Airfield. I've only had their older version F-18 (and they modified the new version to meet a few ways I modified mine before I wore it out) Same EPO foam on that one as the Dynam models and a couple other makers, having similar hinge issues on all of the EPO foam models..

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Foamies