Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 07-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
jwarwick

Friends: (0)
Question Looking for help with wiring of brushless motor / ESC / LiPo battery

Hello,

this is my first entry on this site. I am building my first flat out electric from great planes. I upgraded from the beginning with a brushless motor (rimfire 22m-1000), an electrifly 8 am brushless speed control, an electricfly 11.1 V, 910 mAhr LIthium Polymer battery.

My first concern is that I hook up 3 yellow wires to the ESC and that it does not matter which goes where. 3 yellow to 3 yellow. All I may have to do is switch any two to change direction of motor.

MY second concern and more important, is that the conversion kit to brushless included 3 2mm gold plated bullet connectors (male) with heat shrink wrap. There are no instructions anywhere on what to do with this.

My first thought is that the battery "charge" lead has a plug with 2 female and matches with a plug on the ESC which has one male and one female and the plugs are quite different. These bullet connectors included in the kit look to match the ends of the 3 yellow wires that came installed on both the motor and the ESC.

And while I am fortunate to have the attention of experts, the RX connector on the ESC is not a standard Futaba J connector like my micro RX. I assume that I need to simply match up + / - / and signal correctly. The ESC has orange, red, and brown. The futaba is red, white, and black. I assume, looking at charger, that Futaba uses black for -, red for +, and white for signal?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am very excited to fly this machine. I have had 20 years of nitro RC and a couple of old electrics, however, this looks like it is going to be great.

Sincerely

jwarwick
Old 07-09-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Friends: (1)

Hi JW:
First off, welcome to the best electric RC website in the world. You have everything pretty well right. Did the esc and motor come with bare wires? If so, some guys solder the motor directly to the ESC. I use the bullets, Just put the female end on the ESC side, from it sounds, you probably already knew that:p Two different connectors between the esc and the batt. I use the mini Deans which is probably what is on your ESC. Fellows around here use these as a standard, so if someone needs to borrow a batt. or charger, everything is compatible. I'd use what the other fellows are using for the same reason. Anyway we use the male pin on the batt. as the pos. terminal, again just to keep things standard. Batt. wire, brown is ground in Europe as black is here.Your right on the polarity setup on the Futaba connector. You might want to cut the tab the side to make it universal. A good tool to get is a Watt meter, as it tells you the amp draw in your system so you can pick an appropriate prop to suit, somewhat like using a tach for glow. hope this helps. Don't hesitate to yell

Gord.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
jwarwick

Gord,

Thanks for the support. I am still not sure about hooking the battery up to the ESC.

Great Site!!!

JWW
Old 07-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Yes, you have two different types of connectors on the esc and the batt. This is where I wish they would standardize things. Guess we're going to have to do it ourselves I kind of like the Mini Deans for the smaller stuff as they're supposed to handle up to around 15 amps. # on my baggy is micro plug 2R. Also says PN 1222. If they're polarized the same, I'll be able to borrow your batts. when I come down to visit I'll see if I can find a website with a pic. Also leave the prop off the motor till your ready to test fly. It's a lethal weapon if it turns on at the wrong time. Unlike a glow engine , it will keep pounding away till there's nothing left of the prop.

Gord.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Here's the little suckers. Better order a truckload. Your going to need them:p http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/625071.asp

Gord.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
ragbag
Super Contributor

View ragbag's Gallery1

Originally Posted by jwarwick View Post
Hello,

this is my first entry on this site. I am building my first flat out electric from great planes. I upgraded from the beginning with a brushless motor (rimfire 22m-1000), an electrifly 8 am brushless speed control, an electricfly 11.1 V, 910 mAhr LIthium Polymer battery.

My first concern is that I hook up 3 yellow wires to the ESC and that it does not matter which goes where. 3 yellow to 3 yellow. All I may have to do is switch any two to change direction of motor.

MY second concern and more important, is that the conversion kit to brushless included 3 2mm gold plated bullet connectors (male) with heat shrink wrap. There are no instructions anywhere on what to do with this.

My first thought is that the battery "charge" lead has a plug with 2 female and matches with a plug on the ESC which has one male and one female and the plugs are quite different. These bullet connectors included in the kit look to match the ends of the 3 yellow wires that came installed on both the motor and the ESC.

And while I am fortunate to have the attention of experts, the RX connector on the ESC is not a standard Futaba J connector like my micro RX. I assume that I need to simply match up + / - / and signal correctly. The ESC has orange, red, and brown. The futaba is red, white, and black. I assume, looking at charger, that Futaba uses black for -, red for +, and white for signal?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am very excited to fly this machine. I have had 20 years of nitro RC and a couple of old electrics, however, this looks like it is going to be great.

Sincerely

jwarwick
Be aware that if you are using a Futaba transmitter, go into the settings and reverse the throttle, channel three. Other wise full throttle is off and off is full throttle. Very exciting if you have the prop on the motor. I have been caught a couple of times, I don't do anything on the bench with the prop on.

DX6 is the same.

Orange is signal= Orange to White.

Futaba is Black-Red-White
Electrfly Brown-Red-Orange

The three bullet connectors go on the motor leads, if the motor didn't have connectors on it. Some solder right to the motor, a pain if you don't test everything before you hard wire it. Male connectors always go on the end that does not have the power/battery on it.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > 3D Flying