Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-18-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Friends: (0)
Default Maxcim Motors

The Maxcim motors M32/13D and 13Y are old technology. I'm curious as to how they can still sell for so much? Over 300 for motor and controller together. Are they just that good? Is it their reliability? Please educate me. I'm not screaming bloody muder, far from it. I'm just very very curious.
http://www.maxcim.com/pdfs/orderform.pdf

Steve

I refuse to grow up! And as long as there are RC planes to fly, I don't have to!
Old 08-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
Al_M

They are very versatile and because they are sensored they throttle down as well as brushed motors. Brushless motors loose on the lower end. With their large selection of gear ratios they adapt to many situations.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Thanks very much. I noticed that the throtle response with the motor was infinate. You could almost turn the prop as slowly as you wanted. I'm sure the selection of gears make a huge difference as well. They are versatile motors and gearboxes. Thanks again.

Steve

I refuse to grow up! And as long as there are RC planes to fly, I don't have to!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Anyone know if these are compatible with Lipos?

Steve

Old 08-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #5
JimNM
Fly'em HIGH

Steve, the electrons from Lipos are the same flavor as they are from Nihms - or were you asking about the esc?

I have a lipo save from DMA that I can send you, if you need it. 2-6 cells LVC for Lipo.

Be well amigo!
JimNM
Old 08-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

I meant the ESC. I've since learned that they are. Actually, I'm thinking about selling the motor and esc because I'm not really a gearbox guy. I don't really have a use for it. Problem is they don't seem very popular. Plus, I have no idea what price to stick on the combo. Oh well, such is life!

Steve

Old 08-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Jimbo! I just realized who you were! Whats up Bro? I missed an opportunity to fly with your Pop yesterday. I really need to get another phone! Anyway, hope you and yours are well!

Steve

Old 08-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Dereck
Super Contributor

The snag with MaxCims are that they have sensors. This means that, unfortunately, their speed control is smooth all the way from a steady startup at 'count the blades passing' low RPMs to full power. This puts less stress on the model than the blistering start-ups of sensorless motors, like my similarly power bracket Hacker B50.

It's also a shame that MaxCims with MEC boxes allow you to swap a gear ratio with two hex keys and a small strip of photocopier paper (it's heck trying to keep track of that paper at the field ) This means that if your gear ratio or prop size - which is what counts - doesn't match your model, you don't have to go buy another model.

My Hacker's much better here - if I need to swap ratios, I have to send the motor back to Hacker, who then replace the armature shaft and the gearing, thus costing me more and putting my model out of service for a few weeks. Of course, I could always design a different model to match the motor/prop - that works fine too (I've actually done that ... ).

That lead to another problem - I could use my MaxCims on anything from 8 to 24 cells. Do you know how many motors I could have bought to cover that range?

The MaxCim ESC also runs to a BEC that can handle a far greater voltage - back in my old BRJ power days, I used to run the MaxCim BEC off 14 x 3000 NiMh. Thus I was deprived of buying a UBEC or clone thereof. Real bad that those MaxCim ESCs have metal cases too - they are great heatsinks, why didn't he shrinkwrap them like everyone else, so the heat off the power FETs has a harder time dissipating?

Even worse, if I got a snag, I could call up the guy who runs MaxCim and ask him what to do - without needing an international phone call bill and a translator (okay, Tom's from NY, but we managed to get by on his version of English against my slightly older version).

All that deprivation and I had to find somewhere to put five skinny wires and a plug that went into the ESC - and then I was unfashionable because I didn't have a sensorless motor/ESC.

I'd offer to trade you your MaxCim for my Hacker, but I've already got three MaxCims as it is.

Regards

Dereck
Old 08-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

I can detect the sarcasm, as I'm sure that was the intent. I'll assume it's just you having a good time while explaining the benefits of the motor and esc. I never said it was crap (read first post). I just said I don't have a need for that particular setup. And I'm not fond of gearboxes. I was hoping you'd pipe in sooner, as I knew from previous posts that you had at least one. Thanks for the input. I think.

Steve

Old 08-22-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
Dereck
Super Contributor

Hi Steve
That's only sarcasm if you're in marketing or sales

I've actually got three MaxCim setups - life without an adjustable gearbox strikes me as driving a car with only one gear. Though to be honest, they're doing what all of my toy airplane stuff is doing right now - gathering dust. I've been close to selling the lot and going back into indoor FF, seeing as what's turning up at RC flying fields these days.

And, yes, that is kinda sarcastic

D
Old 08-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #11
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

I only have one Maxcim, it's worked faultlessly for over 7 years and I love it to bits. It's a beautiful bit of engineering.

But I wouldn't buy another at current prices (around $550 in the UK for motor + ESC). Brilliant though the Maxcim is I can only have it in one plane at a time and I'd rather have 3, 4 or 5 equivalent power but slightly less versatile motors for the money.

In reality I mainly fly smaller planes now so the cost is more like 8-10 motor/ESCs. The Maxcim is definitely old-fashioned Rolls-Royce quality at Rolls-Royce pricing and I guess I'm just more of Ford Anglia guy .

Steve
Old 08-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #12
Walt Thyng
Walt

If any of you guys decide to unload your MaxCims, let me know. I've got three and they are stone reliable. I can use them the replace tha Axis that have tossed magnets and the Aveoxs that can't stand heat (and no longer provide service).
Walt
Old 08-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #13
JimNM
Fly'em HIGH

Steve, my evil twin.... I will gadly pay you TRIPPLE what you paid for the motor - who's evil now??

Jim
Old 08-25-2006, 02:19 AM   #14
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

Evil el Incognito

Jimbo, you're starting to scare me!
You can use the motor and esc?

Steve

Old 08-25-2006, 04:01 AM   #15
Dereck
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post

In reality I mainly fly smaller planes now so the cost is more like 8-10 motor/ESCs. The Maxcim is definitely old-fashioned Rolls-Royce quality at Rolls-Royce pricing and I guess I'm just more of Ford Anglia guy .

Steve
You mean you actually like a Ford with a long gearshift, no rear parcel shelf, an underpowered four pot pushrod engine, heavy understeer. a vague, sloppy recirculating ball steering box, strut top mounts that rust through and cartsprings on the back axle ?

D
Old 08-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #16
slipstick
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (1)

Yes Dereck, I knew you'd understand what I was talking about . Perhaps a better way to phrase it would be "I like a car I can actually own and drive round in rather than one I can only afford to stare at with my nose stuck to the showroom window" .

Ford Anglias are part of my long lost youth. A bit like free flight, control line combat and the smell of diesel fuel, dope and balsa cement .

BTW the Anglia wasn't too bad for its day with a 1500 Cortina GT engine dropped in provided you uprated the brakes with Corsair front struts (and beefed up the mounting turrets). But I think we're a wee bit off topic and probably talking complete gibberish as far as the majority of members are concerned .

Steve
Old 08-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #17
Dereck
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Yes Dereck, I knew you'd understand what I was talking about . Perhaps a better way to phrase it would be "I like a car I can actually own and drive round in rather than one I can only afford to stare at with my nose stuck to the showroom window" .

Ford Anglias are part of my long lost youth. A bit like free flight, control line combat and the smell of diesel fuel, dope and balsa cement .

BTW the Anglia wasn't too bad for its day with a 1500 Cortina GT engine dropped in provided you uprated the brakes with Corsair front struts (and beefed up the mounting turrets). But I think we're a wee bit off topic and probably talking complete gibberish as far as the majority of members are concerned .

Steve
That's okay - most of electric flight for me is close to gibberish anyway Once you get beyond "diameter x pitch @ RPM in a model that's X ounces lighter than the last one I built", my eyes start to glaze over.

I was more into Minis - hefty understeer, but predictable and you could do wonders with a 1300 cc block and switching the differential ratio. The brakes were always lousy, but who needed brakes anyway? Adding 4.5" J rims and 185 tyres took care of the rest, though it was best to keep the big steering wheel to get it all around corners.

Which is definitely complete gibberish in a world where the ultimate family vehicle is a top heavy, overweight converted two ton builders truck with so many airbags its surpising there's any room left inside, renowned for roll-over crashes and 10MPG fuel consumption...

D
Old 08-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #18
Doppelganger
Think I can fix it?

We're getting off topic. Please don't turn this thread into a gearhead convention. Thanks

Steve

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems