Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 08-27-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

View BobbyDog's Gallery1
Friends: (0)
Default Replacing 380 motor

Hello everyone...

I have been flying a Hobbico "Aero Cruiser" for a year now, and have just bent the 3rd motor shaft on it. I would like to replace the motor and battery in my cruiser to something better. I was wondering which brushless motor would be a little better than the 380 motor that came with it. The 16 pounds of epoxy holding it together is weighting it down so I need some extra power, haha. I am hoping that maybe the ESC and motor can also be used for the "Magpie" I ordered last night. If not, then I'll have to beg the wife for approval to buy two Thanks in advance.

Peace.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scar tissue.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	15820
Old 08-27-2006, 04:09 AM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Newport News Park R/C Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (63)

Bobby when you get the Magpie done retire that poor little thing you got there! lol... she looks awfully tired!

2012 SEFF Night Bowling Champion!
Old 08-27-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (3)

I'd suggest a MicroDAN 2510 3D (56g) for the Aerocruiser - that would get you ~30oz thrust from 13A on 3s using a 10x6 GWS HD.

That would also work for the Magpie, though for that you could perhaps get away with the smaller MicroDAN 2505/10 (32g) which with a 9x5 GWS HD would get you ~20oz on 3s at just over 9A.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:51 AM   #4
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

View BobbyDog's Gallery1
Default prop question also

Thanks for the recommendation doc. I've been sitting in front of this computer all day trying to make sense of all this new lingo. I think I've got most of it figured out now. But I'm glad you gave me some actual model numbers to look at.

Something that I meant to ask in the first post was, can I use a folding prop to help with the problem I have of bending shafts and breaking props all the time. The reason it happens is that the field I fly in is cattle grazing acreage and the ground is VERY uneven with lots of large clumps of grass etc all over the place. Trying to land smoothly on this ground is impossible. I have to cross my fingers and hope that I dont "endo" on landings. This is the only place to fly in my area so I just have to put up with it.

Anyway, thanks again for your time.

Peace.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:57 AM   #5
nova801428

Hey,
I too fly on little farm feild with lumps all over, I own a Formosa that I fly most of the time and I usually will come in slow and right before it touches the ground I will pull up and it lands on the clump or stalls and comes down. About the props breaking, have you tried a prop saver, it cost about the same a prop and it attaches to the prop with a pesky rubber band, which I was lucky and my rubber band broke in the air and I was able to glide it down safely. Good luck
Nova
Old 08-27-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
nova801428

don't care!!! Stop posting the same thing!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 03:18 AM   #7
TeslaWinger

Not too crazy about a rubberband holding the prop on anything but a very small motor! I use folding props for even my power planes. Tighten the fold pivot screws so they are stiff enough to keep from flopping around, yet still fold on impact. Saved me a lot of shafts and torn motor mounts! Wish I had done that with my Astroflight 010- which bent 2 shafts with a rigid prop in as many flights- and neither were crashes!

As for taking off among the brown pizzas, the last flight before my first standup hang glider landing had me dragged thru a fresh 3 foot diameter pie from chest to sneakers! No wonder I nailed the flare timing from then on! Motivation, ya know!

It really is silly to think that these tiny tires could possibly roll on rough grass! Hand launch and a full flare on landing is all you will have to work with to prevent damage!

Why fly wheels and gear around if you cant use them? Get a big E glider and slide on in!

I like the CD-ROM motors for this size of swap! They are light, relatively cheap and deliver nicely compared to ferrite motors.

16 pounds of epoxy? That's SOME REPAIR! I was sure I was the only one to use the OVERKILL method! Just brush on some more epoxy and use it for a plug to mold a nice new LEAD fuselage! Power? Pratt and Whitney....

Best of luck
TW
Old 09-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

View BobbyDog's Gallery1
Cool

Hahaha.. omg Tesla, that is some funny sh**. I cant stop thinking about your landing in the "pie". I can see the look of horror and surprise on your face now.. Anyway, just wondering about these folding props, are their any reasons NOT to use them? Do they put out as much thrust as the "normal" ones? If they are as good, why doesnt everyone use them? I guess for 8 bucks I can find out myself. Thanks for the input.

Peace.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:12 AM   #9
TeslaWinger

BobbyD, my dog didn't think it was so funny- she had to ride home with me! Maybe that is why she started rolling in the pies on later trips, figuring if I did it it then was ok! Essence of Bovine! Chicks dig it!

See how a good dog gets a reputation?

As for folders not being used for this purpose, I assume not everyone has yet had a long rigid prop rip a new motor mount right out of their plane with a mild noseover enough times to find a fix! This is mine- and it works. It's all about leverage- the longer the prop- the greater the risk!

Performance is not an issue- if you could see my BL sailplanes climb out at very high angles you would know they are potent computer designed and manufactured props!

Maybe your plane just needs larger diameter wheels! Think WHEELBARROW!

Nice hat, Bobby! CLANK CLANK!

Regards,
TW

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Power - Batteries, Chargers, ESCs and More > Power Systems