PDA

View Full Version : Got missing chunks on your plane?

radioflyer75
01-13-2007, 11:53 PM
This has probably already been figured out and posted before, but it's new to me and I figured it out all by myself, so please give me a cookie or something.

I crashed my supercub today and it took some chunks out of the wing edge. I knew its still flyable as-is, but I wanted to put something back where the styrofoam was missing. So here's what I came up with.

Get some clear packing tape, and place it along the bottom edge of the wing, near the missing chunk. But don't apply it 100% yet, only about halfway. You want to leave a "mold" so to speak, for your filler.

I suppose you could use different things for filler, but the handiest for me was using a hot glue gun. I stuck the tape on partly, and use it to form a cavity to drop the hot glue into, and then let it dry open air for a minute or so, and then went ahead and applied the rest of the piece of tape and covered it up. Minutes later I've got my wing back 100%!!

Crash Test Dummy
01-14-2007, 12:21 AM
That was a great idea, however hot glue is very heavy. You can use spackle and it wil be very easy to sand to final shape and it's lite as a feather.

BTW, Welcome to wattflyer!! How long you been flying and what do you fly???

CTD

diablo
01-14-2007, 12:39 AM
How about that kids FLOAM stuff from like nickelodeon lol

http://www.buyfloam.com/?cid=132025

there is a site lol

Airhead
01-14-2007, 01:40 AM
Maybe insulatiom foam?? You know, the kind in an aerosol can?:confused:

spitace
01-14-2007, 01:53 AM
Hey i never thought of that, sounds good if it was lighter.
If i get a big chunk im planing to Autocad the shape, then cut it out with my shools micro router, basla is lighter then glue and eisier to work with, also dosent burn fingers

radioflyer75
01-14-2007, 02:03 AM
I see nothing wrong with hot glue for just a small cut or two. Now if you had multiple repairs, then maybe. But it was all I had handy.

freecrashlessons
01-14-2007, 02:11 AM
the hardware sells a spray can expanding foam used to seal holes or cracks which is styrafoam in liquid form in a can.....i used it before on a zagi i built from foam to seal a hole in the middle of the left wing....you just spray it on where you need it, it expands fairly fast, let it dry then you can trim it with a razor or sand it and it is permanent.....not heavy either (its styrafoam).......i think it cost around 6 or 8$ a can.......

Airhead
01-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I see nothing wrong with hot glue for just a small cut or two. Now if you had multiple repairs, then maybe. But it was all I had handy.

Hey Radio,
Your idea is good, As long as its taking care of the damage in a small area as you said. You'll be back in the air in no time.:)

airmail wf
01-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Brilliant!!!!!:D