PDA

View Full Version : Cell Balancer

Chris44
10-04-2005, 05:51 AM
I have just bought a Dualsky Cell balancer (11.1v..3 cell only)No instructions.Looks like a BEC. 1. Do I always use this between charger and battery if I'm charging/discharge ?

Regards
Chris

Walt Thyng
10-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Most of the discussion I've read suggests balancing after every half dozen or so cycles. I'm sure this varies with how hard you push the cells.
Walt

hoppy
10-05-2005, 02:48 PM
I haven't heard of anyone using one for discharging, just charging. As long as my packs stay in balance, I'd think Walts advice is pretty good.

From their website-
Before charging, connect the JST plugs of PCMs and chargers, connect the charging plugs of PCMs and batteries. (http://www.dualsky.com/editor/UploadFile/2005817161454691.JPG)

They do have a support address.
[email protected]

Fred Marks
10-05-2005, 09:19 PM
(https://www.fmadirect.com/site/fma.htm?body=rc_appNotes)

Cells are driven out of balance by improper cut off when the pack is driven into the Zone of temptation that you can read about in Vol III of the Handbook cited above. The only available solution to this is the FMA Discharge Control Module and/or the Skyvolt chargers described therein.

2dogrc
10-09-2005, 03:41 AM
Hey Chris,

I sell those balancers. Basically just to use it to charge the batteries. You can use it everytime you charge your batteries or every 5-10 charges. I use mine every time connected directly to my charger.

DO Not use it for discharging.

If you have any other questions, I am the largest Dualsky Distributer in the US, send me an email or pm!

everydayflyer
10-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Don't discahrge below 3.7 open volts per cell and your LiPoly packs will stay balanced much longer.

Astro Flight,THunder POwer VAMPower,Dual Sky and others have balancers for those who like the processes automated.

Charles

Greg Covey
10-10-2005, 12:01 AM
The only real way to insure Lithium pack safety is to monitor each cell during both charge balancing and discharge. Only the new Skyvolt system from FMA does this and soon the lower cost Cellpro system will also.

The Discharge Protection Module (DPM) monitors each cell during flight and cuts off the motor when the weakest cell is depleted. Additionally, the DPM provides a 30 or 60 second (user selectable) early warning by pulsing the motor to tell the pilot that it is time to land. No more dead stick landings!

When Lithium packs age, through handling or insertion stress into the plane, crashes, etc., the outer cells loose their capacity early. This can happen from small dents in the surface through rough handling or by tossing the packs back in your flight box. Further, the inner cells can be stressed by higher temperatures if the packs are pushed even to rated discharge limits for too long. The result is that each cell starts to have a slightly different capacity in the pack. By monitoring the cells during both charging and discharging, you can safely use the pack at the capacity of the weakest cell.