PDA

View Full Version : Soldering help!

Huntermd14
02-02-2007, 05:29 PM
I hope i have this in the right forum. I am trying to solder the deans connectors onto wires and having a very tough time. It seems the solder does not want to stick to the flat part of the deans. It keeps balling up and rolling off, sometimes i get it on but the slightest movement of the wire pops it off. I have found i stink at soldering. Any help would be nice before i lose my patience.

Mike

Grasshopper
02-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I have found that a very small amount of paste flux wiped on the Deans blade before soldering makes a much better solder joint. The solder will flow onto the blade very evenly.

frvrngn
02-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Ditto Grasshopper, plus add in you need enough heat. If you dont get that blade hot enough, it wont stick. You want quick heat too, if you hold it there too long you can melt the plastic housing and cause issues when you go to plug it into you charger or ESC. If you have an extra male Deans, plug the two together and that will help keep everything aligned.

Oh, make sure your solder iron tip is clean and tinned (has a small amount of solder on it). It will transfer heat much much quicker that way. If its black and oxidized, it will take a long time for it to work well.

Leo L
02-02-2007, 06:17 PM
1) Get your soldering iron nice and hot.
2) Tin the tip of the iron. Flick the tip at a scrap rag to get rid of any excess solder.
3) Don't use solid solder. Use solder with a flux core.
4) Tin all of the connection points and wires. Hold the tip of the iron to the back of the connector/wire and let a little solder flow onto the connector/wire.
5) As soon as the solder starts to flow, remove the iron to minimize heat build-up.
6) Hold the tinned wire against the tinned connector; touch the back of the connector with the iron and let the solder melt the connectors together. Remove the iron as soon as possible, but make sure that the wire is pressed motionless against the connector until the solder becomes completely solid.

Huntermd14
02-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I still cant get it to work right, i'm using solder with a rosin core. I tinned the wire but the solder will not stick to the deans at all. It just keeps rolling off and now there seems to be a buildup of some clear stuff on the deans. I cant believe how much problems i'm having just trying to join two things. Would i be better drilling a hole through the flat part and then seeing if the solder holds. I feel really stupid that i cant get this. I install garage doors and operators for a living and cant seem to get the grasp of this.

Mike

Rodneh
02-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Are these true Deans or one of the knockoffs? The true Deans is gold plated and solders very easy. Just be sure the area to be soldered is clean, clean, clean then put a slight coat of rosin flux on it. Now heat with a 40 to 60 watt iron until a coat of solder flows over it. Let cool. Tin the wire to be attached. Place tinned wire next to tinned connector (use a jig to keep the two in perfect contact) and heat area. The solder already on the two parts will fuse together giving a good joint.