PDA

View Full Version : Charge the rx?

ki4bbl
02-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I just got a Futaba t6exap and on the charger for the tx, there is another plug for the receiver. I thought receivers were powered by the batteries in the airplane? How often do I need to charge the receiver?

Thanks
greg
ki4bbl

Sky Sharkster
02-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Hello Greg, Welcome to Wattflyer! You are correct, electric models that use a speed controller with "Battery Eliminator Circuitry" (BEC) do indeed divert some of the main battery supply to power the RX and servos.
However, radio manufacturers don't know exactly what type of aircraft (or power supply) each radio they sell will be used for; Glow, electric, glider, jet, etc. So they supply each complete radio set with a charger that will be useable for all types. The wall charger (and usually the directions) indicate that the transmitter and RX battery should be charged. If you're not using a RX battery (and 95% of electrics don't) just charge your transmitter and don't worry about the RX.
Plug your speed controller (ESC) into the RX port marked "Throttle" and the entire airborne pack (RX, Servos, Gyro, etc) will receive power from the main (motor) pack.
Good Luck!
Ron

Solid Hit
02-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi Greg, welcome to WattFlyer!

That second plug is not for the receiver but for a separate battery for the receiver. Wet fuel planes do not have an esc/battery combo like electrics do and the servos need to be powered somehow. If you got the whole TX setup it would have come with servos, and a small NiCad or NiMH battery pack. That pack is seldom used in electric.

Typically the esc we use has a battery eliminator circuit (BEC) so that our servos are powered by the same battery that powers our motors.

(Sorry for the duplication! I was writting while Sky Sharkster was!)

ki4bbl
02-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Everyday I learn more about electric flight. Thank you for the comments. They were very helpful.