PDA

View Full Version : Broken Wing

lestat210
02-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Okay, so there I was....I was flying at this little field today at my lunchbreak, and had a telephone pole jump up AT LEAST 20' (I mean I KNOW I had clearance :D )and give my little EZStar clone a little love tap.:rolleyes: Broke one of the wings off (fairly clean break) just past where the spar stops. Broke a prop, and knocked the motor pod off. I'm sure I can put her back together again (CA, and packing tape :confused: ), but I was wondering if there is anything beside the CA and tape I could do to keep the wing from folding in future flights?

Thanks in Advance!

Solid Hit
02-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I would use epoxy on the wing and would extend the cf rod (actually add another one) splinting the broken half to the good part. I've used an x-acto knife to make a channel and I've also use a soldering iron to do the same. The soldering iron can be tricky but I find it makes a great channel. I use a metal ruler as a guide.

Make sure that you add some tape or some kind of weight to the outer part of the opposite wing to balance it.

lestat210
02-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I understand what you are saying, but just in case I'm gonna post some pics with my intentions on them. :rolleyes: I was also looking at adding a little weight anyway, as to increase the wing loading a little. I live in a never-ending wind, and figured that the extra weight might help the handling a bit. How much weight do you think I could add before changing motor/prop/batt configuration? I'm currently running stock motor/stock 8.4 1300mah nimh.

Thanks again for the help.

lestat210
02-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Solid Hit,
Is there a benefit of using epoxy of CA in this case?

Thanks

Solid Hit
02-09-2007, 02:30 AM
Strength. That couped with using the cf as a dowel will work better in this case. I use ca for a LOT of my building but in your case the epoxy will do a better job.

Adding weight for the sake of it changes the characteristics that the plane was designed for. (Just my opinion)

lestat210
02-09-2007, 05:09 AM
Solid Hit, I hear ya on changing the characteristics. Only reason I was considering it was to make it a little more 'wind capable' as the wind is always at 10-15 knts here. In this particular case, do you think it would be something to think about, or would it be a waste of time? Also, can I use some off the shelf 5 min epoxy, or do I need something more specialized?

Thanks

Solid Hit
02-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Changing the flight characteristics may not necessarily be a bad thing - just different. A higher wing loading should handle the wind better it's just going to be a little different.

5 min epoxy is fine. I very seldom use the 30 min stuff. You just need to have everything ready ready and trial fitted. Make sure you have something that will hold the pieces together in alignment while the glue sets.

Let us know how you make out!

kaindub
02-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Try using a polyurethane glue to Gorilla Grip etc.
They are safe on all foamies.
No mixing no fumes.
The only drawback. if you can call it that, is that it takes some hours to set.
On the other hand that gives one a lot of working time.
PU glues also foam up, so I cover the joint with sticky tape and this keeps the foaming controlled. Other wise just trim off the excess foam.

CitaFly
02-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I folded the wing on my biplane after some radical maneuvers - this article shows how I strengthened it with carbon fiber tubing:

http://www.ampaviators.com/articlecarfib/

No problem since.