PDA

View Full Version : What is Aileron, Elevator, Rudder, & Throttle Mixing?

radioflyer75
02-09-2007, 03:03 AM
Got any good links that will explain this? I've got a radio for a Stryker that has all of this and I have no clue what it is. Is mixing the same as reversing? :confused: Got that too.

Sky Sharkster
02-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Hello Radioflyer, here's a good link with explanations of the various mixes and reversing, expo, dual rates, etc;
http://www.blackflight.com/intro_rc/intro_rc_radio.asp
For your "Stryker", the control surfaces have a dual-control function. Each wing panel has only one surface (called an "Elevon") but must perform two functions; Pitch (up-and-down control) and Roll (turning the model right/left by banking). So one servo is plugged into "Elevator" and the other into "Aileron" on the receiver. Then the transmitter elevon-mixing function is programmed to combine these.
When you apply "Up" elevator command, both elevons go "Up". If you apply "Left" turn command, the left elevon goes up, the right elevon goes down. For a right turn, the left elevon should go down, the right one up. For "Down" elevator, both elevons move down.
These are not isolated or separate; A bit of "right" and "Up" (together) will result in a mix of the two controls on the aircraft surface. Both will go up, but the right elevon will go up more.
Hope this helps!
Ron

AEAJR
02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Got any good links that will explain this? I've got a radio for a Stryker that has all of this and I have no clue what it is. Is mixing the same as reversing? :confused: Got that too.

If you have the RTF radio for the Stryker or StrykerB on 27 MHz, you have very little avalable to you.

This might be helpful:

For beginners - Computer Radios and Surface Mixes
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157053

radioflyer75
02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Ok....after reading that link...now my head is really spinning! :D

AEAJR
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Ok....after reading that link...now my head is really spinning! :D

Spinning?

Try a little left rudder to over come the spin. If that makes it worse, then try right rudder.

Ha Ha! :eek:

radioflyer75
02-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Ok, another question. What happens if I just move the right elevon up while the left one stays stationary? Just a not-so-steep bank? So technically there is no rudder on the stryker, because the plane has to bank to turn?

AEAJR
02-10-2007, 03:13 AM
There is no rudder on the stryker, right.

All planes bank to turn. ;)

Sky Sharkster
02-10-2007, 03:14 AM
Hello RadioFlyer, the answer to your first question is the same as the answer to this one;
If I drove my car and wanted to turn, could I just use one front wheel to turn?
Yes, but it's a bad idea. Cars have two front wheels and the Stryker has two wing panels with control surfaces on each one. Moving just one elevon (as an aileron) to turn makes that surface work twice as hard and results in an asymmetrical (offcenter) control moment. The plane will pitch towards the turn side, tuck the nose down and "barrel" roll. Not good. To get a smooth, stable turn (or complete roll) both elevons are needed. Balanced lift, balanced control movement.
2nd question; Yes. There is no rudder on the Stryker. You bank the plane sideways and apply a bit of "up" elevator to turn. When the plane is sideways, the "elevators" (elevator function of the elevons) becomes the rudder. After a few flights it will be as natural as steering a car. With both wheels!
Just kidding!
Ron