PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Help

rogcox
02-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi

I've been flying ic for a number of years and have decided it's time to go electric (i'll keep 1 ic though !)

I think I need to know what I can read (articles on the Internet ?)that will help me with all the questions I have - my fly electric experience so far amounts to:-

An Ultrafly F16 (still flying) and a Partenavia twin (still flying)
Not a lot of thought was required with fitting out both as the twin was from Ebay with everything in and the F16 came with a recommended motor and battery and prop fit - so apart from the enjoyment of flying these 2 I don't think I've learnt very much about motors, batteries or props

I just treated myself to the Graupner Hydroplane 3D and I would like to be able to work out for myself, the engine, battery and prop requirements

Motors - they do have specifications which include things like thrust / Watts / Hi Amps / Voltage range / current at max efficiency / peak current etc..
If you're lucky, some of the specifications will include the spec of the lipo battery requirement some will even tell you which brushed motor they can replace

ESC - I'm rather hoping that when I need to purchase one of these I only have to think about whether the motor is brushed or brushless and to make sure that it can handle the max current that the motor will want to put through it - depending on the power of your battery ?

As for props - flexible or 'normal' - at least I've heard of APC

When you buy a computer you can read the likes of windows for dummies, well you know what my next question is !

Thanks in anticipation
Roger

smokejohnson
02-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I think you have found the best source for info. I could use a book like that myself but short of that I just hang out here and at RCGroups soaking in all the info (and there is a bunch).

smokejohnson
02-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Check out post #5 by milton. This sounds about right, I don't ever put to much trust in any one individual on line but rather take a general consensus.http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15728