PDA

View Full Version : Would a Spektrum DX6 be overkill if I'm only going to make a couple planes/year?

JWilliams
02-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I live outside of the city, so interference is not a massive problem from what I can tell. I have ready nothing at all but rave reviews about the DX6 and love the idea of its basically guaranteed function and will never lose a plane unless it's my fault. I don't so much mind its $200 price, but $50 for a receiver seems like a lot. For the forseeable future my planes will all be light (<3 lbs) and I probably will fly none more than 500' away. I am tempted to buy a cheaper radio because I can buy receivers for less than $20. On a cheap plane (still leaning to the STC with light/small electronics for a plane) it just seems like it doesn't make sense for $50 of it to be receiver!

People talk about the DX6, but what about the recs? Don't these start eating into the wallet in a hurry, or do a lot of people swap receivers, and is that generally a quick thing to do (disconnect a few wires and take it off/out of a plane)? OR, are cheapy receivers mostly crap and promise to lose a plane when it's a few feet away?

Thanks as always for input :)

firemanbill
02-11-2007, 02:26 PM
J, I am going to recommend the DX6 since it is what I fly and I love it. Frequency control is a major issue but not primary since I fly mostly at a club field with frequency control.

I like it because it is rock solid. Period. I am not knocking other radios I am just saying the 6 is that solid. I started with a toy radio, 27 MHz RTF, and dealt with the glitchiness all the time. Then I went up to a Hitec laser 4 which was like going from a Yugo to a Cadillac. Still there was some twitchiness involved and changing servo settings between planes was a pain. Then came the Spectrum and now I drive a Bentley so to speak!

I have been flying mine almost a year now and my son has had his for about 4 months and we have had absolutely no problems with either of them at all.

The big advantage of the 6, or any computer radio for that matter is going to be model memory where you can keep multiple aircraft stored in memory without having to fuss with the danged reversing switches on every flight you change planes on.

Budget is a concern and yes you can get cheaper receivers. But a good quality 72 MHz receiver is going to be comparable in price to a Spektrum receiver.

Sky Sharkster
02-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Hello J, I'll agree with Bill and add my $.02; The receiver is the single most important electronic component in the airplane. You can fly without a motor, one servo can fail, gyros, but without the RX, nothing works! Yes, if you completely "cook' an ESC you'll crash, but that's because the RX isn't getting power, not because the motor stopped.
Receivers are the "brains" of a model, everything else is a actuator or power source, directed by the RX.
So, I'd say get the best, most reliable and versatile radio you can afford. Imagine that by next year you find a club on the other side of town and want to fly there occasionally. Or a couple of electric "Fun Flys" are announced within driving distance next summer, and you'd like to attend. Busy electronic environment, lots of radios. Maybe you'll see a micro Heli you like, or a Discus Launched Glider that requires 5 channels.
The single-conversion, $20.00 RX's are a crash waiting to happen. Even the smaller, less-expensive dual-conversion 72mHz RX's are about $40.00 plus crystal. So theSpektrum Rx's aren't really much more.
I can't speak for other flyers, but I never switch RX's unless the model is permanently "benched". Over the course of a couple years you'll end up with a few and it won't be an issue. We're all flying (relatively) inexpensive airplanes with several hundred dollars of electronics inside!
JMO
Ron

Grasshopper
02-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Hello J, I'll agree with Bill and add my $.02; The receiver is the single most important electronic component in the airplane. You can fly without a motor, one servo can fail, gyros, but without the RX, nothing works! Yes, if you completely "cook' an ESC you'll crash, but that's because the RX isn't getting power, not because the motor stopped.
Receivers are the "brains" of a model, everything else is a actuator or power source, directed by the RX.
So, I'd say get the best, most reliable and versatile radio you can afford. Imagine that by next year you find a club on the other side of town and want to fly there occasionally. Or a couple of electric "Fun Flys" are announced within driving distance next summer, and you'd like to attend. Busy electronic environment, lots of radios. Maybe you'll see a micro Heli you like, or a Discus Launched Glider that requires 5 channels.
The single-conversion, $20.00 RX's are a crash waiting to happen. Even the smaller, less-expensive dual-conversion 72mHz RX's are about $40.00 plus crystal. So theSpektrum Rx's aren't really much more.
I can't speak for other flyers, but I never switch RX's unless the model is permanently "benched". Over the course of a couple years you'll end up with a few and it won't be an issue. We're all flying (relatively) inexpensive airplanes with several hundred dollars of electronics inside!JMO
Ron

That's so true Ron. I was thinking yesterday while flying my P-38 that I have a $100 airplane with $400 worth of stuff in it. The last thing I want is a glitch in my receiver or transmitter and bring it down. All my planes are on the DX6.

max2112
02-11-2007, 09:03 PM
JW,

Last July I got into this hobbie from a cold start. At the time the best TX RCVR combo I could afford was the Futaba 4YF. I thought that it would last me for a couple of years. It is a rock solid piece of equipment. I haven't experienced any glitches or interferance problems.

But already there are things I am limited to. And I have projects on the bench that would benefit from a better, high end TX like the Spektrum, ie. Flapper-ons, exponential rates and multi memory setups.

Are there quality, lower priced products out there? Sure.
Are they quality pieces of equipment that will last? Definitely.
Will you outgrow a beginner set-up quicker than you think? I did.

-imho- If you can afford it, get the Spektrum.

SkySharkster, GrassHopper: What Are Ya Doin to Me?!?:D
I'm supposed to be saving my allowances for a new motor, not a DX6!!

Grasshopper
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM
JW,

Last July I got into this hobbie from a cold start. At the time the best TX RCVR combo I could afford was the Futaba 4YF. I thought that it would last me for a couple of years. It is a rock solid piece of equipment. I haven't experienced any glitches or interferance problems.

But already there are things I am limited to. And I have projects on the bench that would benefit from a better, high end TX like the Spektrum, ie. Flapper-ons, exponential rates and multi memory setups.

Are there quality, lower priced products out there? Sure.
Are they quality pieces of equipment that will last? Definitely.
Will you outgrow a beginner set-up quicker than you think? I did.

-imho- If you can afford it, get the Spektrum.

SkySharkster, GrassHopper: What Are Ya Doin to Me?!?:D
I'm supposed to be saving my allowances for a new motor, not a DX6!!

Ahh, just go ahead and get both.:D

Gary Hoorn
02-11-2007, 09:34 PM
JWilliams,
As a DX user myself I think your choice of the DX6 is very wise. Frequency control and interference is one less thing to be concerned about.
Gary

JWilliams
02-11-2007, 09:43 PM
JWilliams,
As a DX user myself I think your choice of the DX6 is very wise. Frequency control and interference is one less thing to be concerned about.
GaryI appreciate everyone's input so far! How bad is frequency interference? I know that in worse case the plane will take on a life of its own and fly whereever it wants, which is generally at the ground. Not flying in a field with others, is it a big concern still? A lot of radios that cost more than the DX6/7 are still being sold, so maybe these buyers are not overly concerned with it...? I know there are frequency scanners and things that I've no interest in worrying about, though.

I checked out the Futaba 4YF. It seems nice, is definitely cheap, though with a range of 650, I suppose I could potentially see myself exceeding that and its receivers are only $15 less. I wonder if the AR6000 receivers will go down in price any time...

firemanbill
02-11-2007, 09:50 PM
J, interference is really all about where you are. You may never got shot down so to speak but then again you could the next time you go out. You never know.

I got shot down one time and I was fortuate it was just a slow stick. A fella at the park we were at showed up and switched on way over on the other side of the park. I lost all control and down she went. 3 bucks for a new fuselage stick, a new prop and I was back in business. Now had I had my ultimate, or funtana or something it would have been very expensive.

A lot of the hiher end radios that are really expensive are bought by people who fly at an organzed field though where you have some pretty good controls over channel usage. If you fly at a club field you are pretty safe in that area.

Tinlid
02-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Get the DX6 it's the way to go.

Rabbitcreekok
02-12-2007, 01:23 AM
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Would a Spektrum DX6 be overkill if I'm only going to make a couple planes/year?

Besides JW, who can only build a couple of planes a year? The desire will seep into your bones and the next thing you know you will have kits laying all over the place.

I agree with everyone else, the DX6 is the way to go. I have a Hitec Eclipse 7, a Hitec Prism and some lesser single stick boxes and the DX6 is by far the best radio I own. I would guess that the prices of the receivers will probably come down in the future as do all things electronic. However as others have said, the $49 is about what any good RX would cost.

JWilliams
02-12-2007, 01:48 AM
OK, I hate when people ask for advice and ignore it, and you're all saying the same thing, so point taken :) I'll get the DX6 now even though I don't really need it yet and save myself the "damn, I should have gotten the DX6" thoughts come summer.

Maybe a silly question, but will this thing interfere with wireless internet connections the way it seems most 2.4 ghz cordless home phones do? We replaced our home phones with 5.8 in great part to get around that and it's been sweet, but I'd hate to drop all the neighbors every time I'm out!

firemanbill
02-12-2007, 02:14 AM
I don't know the technical answer to that but the layman answer is no it will not interfere...

JoeBruce
02-12-2007, 02:30 AM
I read something on the DX6 that talked about a couple guys testing it in an office environment with WLAN present. In that case, there were no real issues for the WLAN or the DX6.

That said, if the DX6 uses something like 802.11, then if I chooses a channel near an existing WLAN (though they supposedly choose a clear channel), the WLAN could experience degraded performance.

The situation you describe has always puzzled me. 802.11 uses DSSS (direct sequence spread spectrum) to minimize interference and to tolerate outside interference. I never understood why some 2.4 GHz phones caused 802.11 to drop out completely, but I have seen it myself as well. Perhaps the phones just "knock out" the entire channel or something, and since there are only 3 non-overlapping channels (1, 6, and 11)...

I'm considering a DX6 myself once I get to my second plane. I haven't seen anything bad about it, and at least one of my local clubs "allows" 2.4 GHz, so I don't see why not. It's about the same price as other entry-level computer radios, and without the frequency control issues...

JWilliams
02-12-2007, 02:39 AM
The situation you describe has always puzzled me. 802.11 uses DSSS (direct sequence spread spectrum) to minimize interference and to tolerate outside interference. I never understood why some 2.4 GHz phones caused 802.11 to drop out completely, but I have seen it myself as well. Perhaps the phones just "knock out" the entire channel or something, and since there are only 3 non-overlapping channels (1, 6, and 11)...
I don't understand it enough to have much insight, but I found that with our pretty decent wireless router, if the cordless phone was used for more than a couple of seconds, it would kill the connection and was entirely impossible to get back until the phone was turned off.

We have a new microwave now that causes no problems, but a few months ago had an older one and when that microwave turned on (computer was about 10 feet from it, with the wireless router much further) we'd invariably drop our signal, too.

Supposedly our 5.8 phones have a pretty darn good range, but I've not really had a need to test it, since even a normal 2.4 will competently handle an entire house without issue.

firemanbill
02-12-2007, 02:44 AM
This is from the FAQ's section at Spektrumrc.com

We have several Wi Fi systems and Wireless Routers running at our indoor track. How will this effect the Spektrum system?

These systems typically operate on the 2.4GHz band and, while they do occupy some of the bandwidth (channels), they must abide by FCC rules and incorporate collision avoidance. So while these systems can reduce the number of potential operators (there are 79 possible), the systems will operate harmoniously and not cause each other interference.

Sky Sharkster
02-12-2007, 03:14 AM
Hello JW, If you get the Spektrum, you'll be thanking yourself from now on. Several of our club members have the "6" and couldn't be happier.
I wanted to address a couple of questions from post # 8. What usually happens when you're "hit" with a same-frequency conflict (someone switching on, not a random glitch) is your receiver gets overloaded, "swamped" and trys to respond to multiple signals. Invariably a servo gets "commanded" to a position faster or further than it is designed to accomodate, and jams into a full-lock position. Even if you regain control ("Whoops, is somebody on 43?") the stripped or jammed servo won't respond and continues to hold a control surface in full-deflection position. You can imagine the rest.
About the fact that many high-end radios (without "Spread-Spectrum") are still being marketed and bought; This system is only a couple of years old and so far "Spektrum" had the market cornered (soon to change).
And the original "6" was advertised as suitable for "Park" flyers and had limited overall range. So, many flyers, including myself, stayed away. I fly Sailplanes and powered gliders, there's no such thing as too much range with gliders! Now that they have an advertised range comparable to dual-conversion FM's, I would consider one.
Last, many flyers have lots of "conventional" RX's and weren't willing to give these up for a non-compatable system.
Ron

CHELLIE
02-12-2007, 03:19 AM
Hi J Willams :) You are worth a DX6, and If your wife does not agree, Tell Her I Said so :D I am getting the DX7 for my heli and all the rest of my planes, I have a JR radio and still have some problems with the 72 mhz at my local flying field, from other peoples radios bleading over, and CB radios from the freeway, I lost a plane a few weeks ago, from radio interferance, good thing is, that it was just a Cheepy GWS foamy, but i dont want anymore problems flying a $600.00 heli, its just good insurance, a great way to protect your investment in time and money, thats my 2 cents worth, Take care & have Fun, Chellie

rocket_jim
02-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Interference is more that just other pilots accidentally or deliberately flying on your frequency. I've seen something happen that knocked several planes at a time on 72 mHz out of the sky at the same time, despite their operating on different frequencies and using good (expensive) receivers. Also, your own plane's equipment including the motor, the ESC, and even the control inkages can generate it's own interference to the Rx. You may have seen recommendations to mount the Rx as far away as possible from the motor and the ESC, etc. To add ferrite beads to the wiring, to twist the servo wires, etc.

With the DX6, DX7, and similar soon to come 2.4 MHz radios, you don't need to add any filters or beads, and you can literally mount the Rx right on top of the ESC. It's simply immune to plane-generated noises because of the wide differences in their frequencies.

The AR6000 (for DX6 or DX7) and the AR6100 (for DX7 only) are now both $50. A steal! Unfortunately they are recently too often in short or no supply. A great price does not matter if you cannot actually buy one for the next few weeks or months!

My DX6 and 5-6 AR6000 Rxs simply work for me when all around me the guys still running on 72 mHz have one glitch or another now and then or frequently. It's a no-brainer for me.

swapdaddyxx1
02-13-2007, 06:00 AM
I have an Fs one system and have had two receivers on backorder at the hs I use for about a month now. Seems sales are exceeding production. Anyone else having this problem? Jerry

Gohmer
02-13-2007, 03:57 PM
CHELLIE had the best advice, "you're worth it!" I would recommend the DX7 because of the model memory feature and 20 of them. I'll trade you a couple of the park flyer receivers for the big one that comes with the DX7 if you think you don't need it.

ratbastid
02-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Supposedly our 5.8 phones have a pretty darn good range, but I've not really had a need to test it, since even a normal 2.4 will competently handle an entire house without issue.

Yes, 2.4 is good, but obviously 5.8 is better. It's better by 3.4. Anyone can see that's a dramatic improvement--over twice as good. :p

Is the DX6 still limited in range like it was when it first came out? Or is it differentiated from the DX7 on other features? If so, what range can you expect from a DX6?

rcers
02-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Is the DX6 still limited in range like it was when it first came out? Or is it differentiated from the DX7 on other features? If so, what range can you expect from a DX6?

Range was never an issue with the DX6 system - rather it is an issue of shadowing.

Imagine a large gas/glow engine and muffler that completely blocks the receiver and both of its antennas. That could mean a loss of signal to the model.

I have tested the range to be well above 2500ft (in the air) others report it is at least 5kft. Both are more than you need for most aircraft we fly. Even a 3m glider at 2500ft is a speck.

5.8GHz is actually WORSE for this very issue - the issue of shadowing. The DX7 is full range and does that by separating the redundant receivers, so the risk of shadowing is very limited.

Futaba's yet to be released air system also separates the antennas.

Mike

KeithK
02-14-2007, 12:07 AM
The prices of the rx's are already coming down, the new AR6100 is 46.66 at http://www.toddsmodels.com/ and the AR6000 should be coming down more when (if) they become readily available.

Balil
02-14-2007, 12:21 AM
my first tx/rx combo was the JR S600, which is a great computer radio that retails for under $200, BUT the jr rx's are just too heavy and bulky for my foam and small electric projects. the ar600 weights less than 10 grams without the case which is great when you're counting grams for a insane 3d foamy. plus you dont have to worry about some newb comming out to the field on the same channel as you and not knowing about the board.... i havent sprang for it yet, but im going to splurge and get the DX7 with a few extra AR600 rx's. i fly big gassers to small 10 oz foamies. so i need rx's that not only are light but wont cost me an arm and a leg to replace a 1/3 scale yak if someone doesnt check the board.... and as far as what sky sharkster said about frying the ESC, ive found a simple yet effective solution to said problem, in my scale electrics ive found that using a flight battery for my larger gasses eleminates that problem... i caught one of my j-3's on fire from frying the ESC and i was still able to bring her in for a deadstick landing because the servos had power from the back up battery

DickCorby
02-14-2007, 12:40 AM
I've had the DX-6 for over a year now. Hundreds of flights, and each one a blast. Never a range problem, and I've flown it in a couple of 25-40 size planes with no range limitations.
And yes - the receivers are a bit more expensive. But no more so than a GOOD receiver on 72 Mhz. And I never buy a $20 receiver - my planes are too important to trust to a glitchy cheap receiver.
As to performance, I can feel a difference in control between a 72Mhz controlled plane and the DX-6. I've tried both on my Lil Banshee, and there is a world of difference in the control. With the 72Mhz ssystem, i have trouble getting the plane to come out of a snap roll on heading. With the DX-6, the response is so much quicker that it comes out nearly dead on heading every time.
No matter how much you fly, I'd recommend the DX-6.

JWilliams
02-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Should probably be ordering in the next week :)

DickCorby
02-14-2007, 12:48 AM
I read something on the DX6 that talked about a couple guys testing it in an office environment with WLAN present. In that case, there were no real issues for the WLAN or the DX6.

That said, if the DX6 uses something like 802.11, then if I chooses a channel near an existing WLAN (though they supposedly choose a clear channel), the WLAN could experience degraded performance.

I'm considering a DX6 myself once I get to my second plane. I haven't seen anything bad about it, and at least one of my local clubs "allows" 2.4 GHz, so I don't see why not. It's about the same price as other entry-level computer radios, and without the frequency control issues...

My Computer room with a Wireless LAN is about 15 ft. from my Hobby workroom where I have the DX-6 on a lot. They have never interferred with each other.

Mister Softee
02-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Don't these start eating into the wallet in a hurry

EBAY! http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?sofocus=bs&satitle=dx6&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC5&fbd=1&ampsspagename=h%3Ah%3Aadvsearch%3AUS&from=R6&nojspr=y&pfid=0&fswc=1&few=&saprclo=&saprchi=&fss=0&saslop=1&sasl=&fls=4%26floc%3D1&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D0&salic=1&saatc=1&sadis=200&fpos=11354&fsct=&sacur=0&sacqyop=ge&sacqy=&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&sabdlo=&sabdhi=&saaff=afdefault&afcj=&afmp=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&fcl=3&frpp=200

find it there

USED OR NEW -

I saw a new one w/ Rx and servos for $200

KeithK
02-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Look at the for sale sections here and the other online forums. Many like me are going to the DX-7 for functionality (advanced helicopter mixing for me) and have virtually brand new systems advertised. I (hopefully) just sold a DX-6 and AR6000 for $120. There are more available in this price range on EZONE now. I am not too happy with the S75 servos, the gears seemed fragile. replaced them with HS-55 gears as they broke and they are still working fine.

JWilliams
02-14-2007, 02:47 AM
I see that a lot of people are unable to find AR6000s for sale. Is this a temporary thing or a real problem? When will spektrum get their manufacturing sorted out?

Grasshopper
02-14-2007, 02:52 AM
My Computer room with a Wireless LAN is about 15 ft. from my Hobby workroom where I have the DX-6 on a lot. They have never interferred with each other.

Same here Dick. My workbench is about 15 feet from my wireless router. No interference at all.

markind
02-14-2007, 02:55 AM
Heck YA!! DX6 is PERFECT for parkies! I am so glad I started with it as a nOOB. Overkill? NO WAY!! DX7 'may' be a little much for a small park flyer.

Well, DX6 WOULD be perfect if it wasn't for this INFURIATING SHORTAGE OF AR6000's!!!! ARRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

JoeBruce
02-14-2007, 03:00 AM
I saw a new one w/ Rx and servos for $200

That's not a particularly good deal. I think I already posted this earlier in this thread, but Ultimate Hobbies (http://www.ultimatehobbies.com) has the Tx + Rx + 2 servos combo for $180, including S&H. Not that checking on eBay isn't a good idea, but don't pay more than it'd cost you from a reputable (L)HS! ;)

firemanbill
02-14-2007, 03:00 AM
I think the shortage of receivers speaks volumes to how good these radios really are! Folks can't get enough of them.

Then again it may just be because I have bought so many of them!:rolleyes:

Grasshopper
02-14-2007, 03:04 AM
Mee too Bill. I bought the last one the LHS had about 2 weeks ago and have my name on two more when they come in (supposedly this month). :(

JWilliams
02-14-2007, 03:04 AM
That's not a particularly good deal. I think I already posted this earlier in this thread, but Ultimate Hobbies (http://www.ultimatehobbies.com) has the Tx + Rx + 2 servos combo for $180, including S&H. Not that checking on eBay isn't a good idea, but don't pay more than it'd cost you from a reputable (L)HS! ;)That link says FOUR servos.

BTW, thanks! Best I'd found so far was http://www.amainhobbies.com/shopping_cart.php/search_in_description/1/keywords/dx6/sort/3a which has it for $184.99 and I think that's also shipped.

firemanbill
02-14-2007, 03:07 AM
Mee too Bill. I bought the last one the LHS had about 2 weeks ago and have my name on two more when they come in (supposedly this month). :(

So we've outgrown the "me outbidding you on ebay phase" eh?!:rolleyes: ;)

Grasshopper
02-14-2007, 03:08 AM
I figured with the luck you have, I don't stand a chance.:o

firemanbill
02-14-2007, 03:12 AM
I figured with the luck you have, I don't stand a chance.:o

LOL! After hearing about your new field I'd say you are right there with me on the luck thing!:D

JoeBruce
02-14-2007, 03:14 AM
That link says FOUR servos.

Sorry, my mis-read. :o I kept thinking (for God knows what reason) that 4-S75 was the part number. The standard package is Tx + Rx + 4 of the S75 submicro servos.

Even better - I thought it only came with two servos! :D

Superbee
02-14-2007, 03:40 AM
I've been off line for two weeks. Who won the third contest? I assume it was not me. I didn;t get a notification. :-(

ValVista
02-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Since I have no intention of doing anything but park flying, decided the DX6 would meet my needs for a long time (vs. the pricier DX7).

I live in downtown Phoenix & fly mostly at a sizable park near the middle of town. Channel independence & signal reliability is therefore of prime importance.

I converted my Blade CP Pro to the DX6 & have been enjoying the versatility of the myriad trim adjustments in the Tx ever since.

This flyer believes (IMHO) that the implementation of this communication protocol may be the single most beneficial advance in RC communications since RC was invented.

It's about time digital technology trickled down to the average joe trying to enter and/or just enjoy flying without the traditional worry about shoot-downs & interference/radio glitches. Flying can be challenging (or relaxing) enough in and of itself.

I truly believe that, if electric park flying is your thing, you'll never regret your choice to adopt the DX6 (or its equivalent as other mfrs introduce their competitive products).

Have fun.

ElectricFlyGuy
03-17-2007, 04:14 AM
Get the DX7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J, I am going to recommend the DX6 since it is what I fly and I love it. Frequency control is a major issue but not primary since I fly mostly at a club field with frequency control.

I like it because it is rock solid. Period. I am not knocking other radios I am just saying the 6 is that solid. I started with a toy radio, 27 MHz RTF, and dealt with the glitchiness all the time. Then I went up to a Hitec laser 4 which was like going from a Yugo to a Cadillac. Still there was some twitchiness involved and changing servo settings between planes was a pain. Then came the Spectrum and now I drive a Bentley so to speak!

I have been flying mine almost a year now and my son has had his for about 4 months and we have had absolutely no problems with either of them at all.

The big advantage of the 6, or any computer radio for that matter is going to be model memory where you can keep multiple aircraft stored in memory without having to fuss with the danged reversing switches on every flight you change planes on.

Budget is a concern and yes you can get cheaper receivers. But a good quality 72 MHz receiver is going to be comparable in price to a Spektrum receiver.

JWilliams
03-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Get the DX7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Too late! I picked up a DX6 last month. So far, so good :)

DX7 is nice definitely but it'll be a long time before I"m flying planes that really require it...

herk_1
03-17-2007, 06:00 PM
I called Horizon a few weeks ago to ask them about getting an AR6000 receiver. They said I would get one faster if I ordered one from a local dealer first, since they will send them out to the dealers first when they get them. So I ordered one from my LHS. The LHS called me yesterday and said it was in; I just picked it up. Guess what? They charged me $64.99. That's more than suggested retail. Hmmm....

JWilliams
03-17-2007, 06:40 PM
I called Horizon a few weeks ago to ask them about getting an AR6000 receiver. They said I would get one faster if I ordered one from a local dealer first, since they will send them out to the dealers first when they get them. So I ordered one from my LHS. The LHS called me yesterday and said it was in; I just picked it up. Guess what? They charged me $64.99. That's more than suggested retail. Hmmm....Terrible! Mine, even though there is a major shortgage now, still charged only the $50.

Some guy on ebay has been buying basically all of them. He must have a darned fleet he's outfitting, all for around $65-70 shipped.

markind
03-17-2007, 11:29 PM
The shortage appears to be over - my LHS has extras now. Do NOT pay more than $50 ! ! !