PDA

View Full Version : Slow Stick Maiden Flight

wksaz
02-14-2007, 04:45 AM
Hello All, I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 18 year absence. I have always had an interest in electrics and it has finally gotten the best of me and I am bitten once again.

back on topic.....

I bought a slow stick with the eps300 and am using a Nimh 1100mah 7 cell pack from HL and an Airtronics radio and ESC with micro servos.

The maiden was successful, I did a ROG and got up to about 50' AGL and got her pretty well trimmed (considering the 10 mph wind), did one more lap to trim some more and set up for a landing. No real surprises other than the amount of throttle required to maintain altitude. I probably needed about 1/2 throttle on final (into the wind) ;) to maintain altitude. If I came off of that much at all it dropped like a rock.

My question is, does this sound like "normal" performance for my setup?

A few notes: Climb out is quite strong, CG is a little forward maybe 1 inch nose low, Throws as per instructions.

My impression is that I may have CG too forward and she might float a little better if more neutral. I did not want to move it back especially with the wind. I was a glider person way back when so maybe I am expecting more glide than I have coming to me!

Thanks in Advance!
Brady T. wksaz

The maiden hop was so much fun and rewarding to bring her in to a nice wheel landing the first time back on the sticks that I flew her again for two laps around the field and then it got dark on me.:mad: Now I remember why I loved this hobby so much!

Twmaster
02-14-2007, 05:24 AM
Woo! Another Slow Sticker!!

Congrats on your maiden flight!

It does indeed sound like the CG is a bit forward. Even with that heavy battery the SS should glide in very easily with little or no throttle.

My original SS was very portly at 19 ounces! I even named her 'Porky Plane' but she still would glide in smooth as silk!

Anyhoo, congrats and welcome to WattFlyer. The addiction begins again. Surrender your wallet to the LHS!

:D

wksaz
02-14-2007, 05:54 AM
Hey Twmaster, thanks for the reply, I plan on weighing her tomorrow and see where I am at. It is one of the "new" sticks (2pc fuse), I also bolted on the stab, maybe that was overkill. Since you feel the CG may be too formward as well, I'm gonna try moving the CG aft tomorrow and I will see what happens.

The pack is 5.2 ounces, since I'm old school, I think it is light, but I guess to you LiPo guys that is a rock for the capacity it has.

I made the mistake of buying an outdated 2s 1100mah e-flite LiPo and am taking it back tomorrow and exchange for whatever I can. This pack is like 2.7 ounces and has a JST, this tail heavy mother would not even come close to CG with that pack.

What to do? I don't see how I could make her any lighter...... maybe an esskay 400xt (I have one) and a lipo? The eflite mount would get more weight forward. I don't think I can get much smaller with the radio either, it is really light already.

TIA.....
Brady T.

Twmaster
02-14-2007, 06:05 AM
Heh. Old School.

Don't worry about the weight of that NiMH battery. I flew mine for more than a year on a couple of those 8 cell NiMH packs. Both with brushed and brushless power plants.

My current setup on my stick is a 400XT, 8x6 APC SF prop, el-cheapo TowerPro gen 1 ESC and 3 cell Vampower lipo. I have the motor mounted with an old GWS gearbox as the mount and I have the battery on top of the stick ahead of the wing. I'll see about a pic tomorrow if I remember.

That 400XT will fly that plane well on a 2S pack with a 10x4.7 prop. Just won't be fast.

Have fun!

Also, I would not get too exercised about weight. The SS can fly even when very portly. The lightest one I ever saw was 10.5 ounces. Everything was tiny on it!

Airhead
02-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Hey Wksaz,
Great maiden, good for you.
Welcome to Wattflyer, a lot of great people to help with any questions here...:)

wksaz
02-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Hello All, I just wanted to share that all has been going well for me flying the SS. I really love the way this plane flys, it is the jeep of the air. I have been able to run beautiful touch and go's with it and I have about 10 flights on it so far.

I had been having intermittent range check problems and was trying to track it down. I had some minor glitching in flight, but thought nothing of it.

Well today at the field, (perfect AZ flying weather I might add....:rolleyes:) the range check will only go around 10 feet before totally freaking out, I was grounded. Running the motor seemed to make it worse but when the antenna was extended it seemed to improve. Well I checked all of the normal culprits but to no avail. I unplugged the Airtronics speed control and EPS300 and connected a Jeti Eco 12 and SK400 I had bought for the future and the range check went perfectly. For some reason the Airtronics speed control just makes all kinds of noise when connected, even with the motor out of the picture.

Now I have an excuse for the Esskay. The plane flys really well with the EPS 300 and stock prop, but alas, I have already mounted the SK400 and ECO 12:cool:. I think I am going to try an 11X4.7 prop because I think it will be more stock like. I kind of like the braking action of the big prop and gear drive, it is almost like having beta on a turboprop and I don't want to lose that feeling.

Sorry so long.....

I guess I am now outrunned........any ideas on the prop thing? I have read most of the SS / Esskay threads I can find.
Sorry so long.....

Thanks for the support!
Brady

wksaz
02-19-2007, 07:23 AM
I just had a thought, I just read back to the follow up by Twmaster.

I think I will take your advice on the 10x4.7, 11x4.7 may be too many amps for the poor Esskay...

Am I on the right track? Obviously new to electrics...

BTW the prop I had on there tonight is an APC 9x6 with my 7 cell Nimh and it seemed to be lacking a litte thrust from the stock setup. Is this just my imagination? I don't want to go fast, I just want some torque for horsing around in the pattern, slow, steep pull ups and touch and go's.

This is getting bad, I am not getting any sleep, I am addicted to wattflyer, and I thought ebay was bad!!!

If this keeps up I will have to form SS ANONYMOUS.......

"Hello, my name is Brady.........and I have a problem"

max2112
02-19-2007, 09:10 AM
I just had a thought, I just read back to the follow up by Twmaster.

If this keeps up I will have to form SS ANONYMOUS.......

"Hello, my name is Brady.........and I have a problem"

Hello, WKSAZ,

Welcome aboard! I agree with you, this website is right behind the hobby itself in terms of how addictive it is!

I've always noticed TwMaster's signature. Maybe we could make him the Don of the WattFlyer SlowStick Mafia!:cool:

See you on the forums,
John

Gohmer
02-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Great topic Brady! Congratulations on your maiden flight. You will enjoy your SlowSticks immensely. There is no limit to the mods possible with this great little airplane.

What we need here at Wattflyer is a sub forum dedicated to discussion of the Mighty SlowStick:)

vax6335
02-19-2007, 06:32 PM
What we need here at Wattflyer is a sub forum dedicated to discussion of the Mighty SlowStick:)

That's a great idea. I think there's plenty of us here that fly the SS, certainly enough to justify having a subforum about it.

wksaz
02-20-2007, 03:15 AM
Just a follow up, I went to the field this evening and put it up. The Esskay is really powerful, I used a 10x3.8 prop as has been suggested by Twmaster and others and the climb out on my 2s 2100 pack is very stong. It is almost impossible to stall, you can just power right out of most anything. I owe you guys!

I am right at 16.5 ounces AUW and it will take off in about 5 feet at about 1/2 throttle, and the sound is soooooo cool. It is almost like having a little turboprop in it, big torque, some whisltle, some prop noise and lots of power. Cool, Cool.........

I kind of missed the weight of the NiMH pack for wind penetration and speed today but I guess if the wind comes up I can prop down to the 9x4.7 or something.

It was windy, but no real problem, it would climb or penetrate just point the nose and put the power on.

Slow Sticks Anonymous now needed :D, I'm hooked!

Moderators, the Mafia needs a meeting room! Sooos we dont mess up da joint! (please!):cool:

Brady T. wksaz

vax6335
02-20-2007, 03:55 AM
Brushless Slow Sticks are the best :D

I use an Atlas 2308/11 from Hobby Lobby with a 10x4.6 E-Flite prop. On a 2s 1320 lipo it cruises wonderfully at half throttle. It's sooo silent when it flies by, I love it. I'm going to get another one of these motors for my fiance's SS.

Twmaster
02-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Brady I'm glad to see something I've said is useful to somebody!!

In all honesty as inexpensive as brushless motors are these days I don't see any reason to run brushed power anymore.

One thing I loved about the old days of flying Porky was wind penetration. Loads of fun shooting harrier landings in 15 knot breezes!

Just keep an eye on the amps and temperature of your motor/battery/ESC and you'll have loads of fun for a long time.

;)

Twmaster
02-20-2007, 06:15 AM
One thing to add. I'm going to be building yet another SS as I need an easy to handle platform for basic arial photography. Porky ain't retired yet!

wksaz
02-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Off topic and kind of an apology......

I guess I really got confused on the prop sizes...... I thought I had bought the correct thing today in the 10x3.8, duh! I think I will go back to the LHS and get a 10x4.7 like Twmaster and vax6335 REALLY have. What do you think? Is it worth my trouble? and what if anything would the 11x3.8 buy me?

Oh and BTW the 9" prop I have is a 9X4.7 (I think) I really noticed a big thrust difference between that one and the 10x3.8 I think!

Again, TIA
Brady T. wksaz

wksaz
02-20-2007, 06:31 AM
As an aside, and maybe this should be in a new thread,

I just got a "thank you" gift certificate from my Brother in law and am thinking of my next plane after the SS.

I know, I know, another SS!!!!!!!

Anybody have any ideas on other must haves,

I like to build but would rather fly, I just have no time.

Twmaster
02-20-2007, 06:32 AM
No need to apologize. Exchange of information and experimentation make this hobby groove!

Honestly if the plane climbs out well and is not getting the flight gear hot then I'd just enjoy the 10x3.8

When you get around to breaking the 1038 then get a 10x4.7 or get the 10x4.7 as a spare and try it out. They aren't expensive.

To answer your question the 1047 will have a bit lower pitch speed but more thrust. It will also draw more current from the power set.

Do you have a whatt meter? If not I strongly suggest you get one. It's an invaluable tool for every electric flyer IMHO.

I run 9x4.7 props on my SS with a 3 cell lipo pack. It needs to be spun faster to get the performance it was intended for and is more of a match for the higher voltage of the 3 cell batteries.

Twmaster
02-20-2007, 06:33 AM
As an aside, and maybe this should be in a new thread,

I just got a "thank you" gift certificate from my Brother in law and am thinking of my next plane after the SS.

I know, I know, another SS!!!!!!!

Anybody have any ideas on other must haves,

I like to build but would rather fly, I just have no time.

There are loads of posts on this subject. An easy build would be just about anything from Mountain Models/Laser Arts. www.mountainmodels.com

Fire up your browser, search those threads Mister!! ;)

dlabrie
02-20-2007, 05:20 PM
My first plane was a HZ Supercub that I have been flying since December. I have since bought a Slow Stick. This is the setup
Power System: Himax 350 Brushless motor w G (http://epyaya.com/product_info.php?products_id=2072)
Propeller: 1x EP1080HD (http://www.epyaya.com/product_info.php?products_id=2018) + 1x EP1180DD (http://www.epyaya.com/product_info.php?products_id=9467)
Speed Controller: 1x PULSO 20Amps (http://epyaya.com/product_info.php?products_id=2217) Brushless ESC
Battery: 1x EPYAYA 15C 3 Cells LiPoly/11.1V1350mAh (http://epyaya.com/product_info.php?products_id=1365)

I bought a Spektrum DX6 to use with it.
I have it all built, but I am waiting for a perfect, windless day before I take it for its maiden flight. I am also building a Flying Boat http://http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234990
for the SS.

I notice that a lot of you use a low pitch on your props. Mine came with the 1080 props, and I ordered extra! Will they be OK? Also, How can I go about putting a prop saver on this moter? It was a simple setup on the Supercub, but I can't quite figure out how to do it with the Himax.

I'd also love to see a sub forum dedicated to discussion of the Mighty SlowStick as well :-)

bowtie hi
02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
wksaz
I read all 19 post and didn't see where anybody told you the best setting for your Slow Stick CG. 4 1/8 " from leading edge of wing will put you spot on. Enjoy your new SS theres many out here.
Ken

Epoxycup
02-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey WKSAZ

Congradulations on your entry into the SlowStick fraternity. One of the great park flyers. Mine SS#1 and SS#2 have long departed (RIP):D , but what a blast I had with them.
The GWS floats on a SS are a hoot on a large puddle of water. Then of course was my night flying with flashing LED lighting in the summer evenings, cars would even pull over to watch. Maybe they thought it was a UFO:rolleyes: . But one thing my slow stick did that was knind of discerning, I could take it up cut the power and thermal better than some of my gliders costing much $ more:( . I also bought one of those cheap little digital cameras at wallmart to try but never got around to trying it.
Alas my SS#2 met its death in my hanger (garage) when a chair stacked on top of a table slide off and landed on it:confused: . 10lb. chair and foam slow stick, of course you know who lost.
Come to think of it I picked up the little ESSKY motor from HL the other day, I could not pass up $17 for it. Hmmmmm:rolleyes: I have a vision, SS #3.
Although I fly glow still occsaional and gliders I still have to say the SS was just plain fun. I alsohad the tiger moth for a while, beat itself to death on lamp posts in the street outside, something about being drawn to the light:D . Still have a Beaver. All flew great.

Hmmmmmmm:rolleyes: SS Warbird, SS Warbird, SS Warbird ????????????

bowtie hi
02-20-2007, 10:21 PM
A SS Slope is cheap and you have the rest of the story.

Ken

Twmaster
02-21-2007, 01:49 AM
A SS Slope is cheap and you have the rest of the story.

Ken

That is worth repeating.

wksaz
02-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Hey Guys, I just went out again tonight for two packs worth and the thing is working really well. It almost likes the weight of the 7 cell NiMH better than the lighter Lipo, I like how you can add some weight and it gets faster, it is like two different planes.

I am really enjoying the touch and goes and cropdusting style passes at my smooth dirt field. 6 to 12 inches off the deck all the way down the runway at full snort then a hard 45 degree pull up, I'm in heaven!

Epoxycup, just do SS#3 with the Esskay, you will totally dig it!

Twmaster, I think the prop is good for now, I have two of the 10X3.8 already. As much as I am liking the low and "fast" passes I will probably be needing the others soon anyway!

Brady T. wksaz

bowtie hi
02-21-2007, 10:18 AM
wksaz
Theres several of the GWS planes that work well as a step up. And most can be built or converted to an aileron plane. Look at the Beaver or the Moth. Or think about building your own. Lowes or Homedepot sells FFF (fan fold foam) that a 33 $ bundle will build many planes. Many that can be built in an evening. I just printed off a high wing plane made from FFFcalled the STC that I'll start on soon. Chellie built a plane yesterday while it was raining. You can spend all you want to on this hobby. But you won't find any better thing to do that you can do with your clothes on. Happy landings.

Ken

bowtie hi
02-21-2007, 08:22 PM
I just looked at a plane that would work fine as an aileron trainer. Sport Flyers Simple Stick. $ 19.35 at Hobby People .com

Twmaster
02-22-2007, 04:13 AM
I just looked at a plane that would work fine as an aileron trainer. Sport Flyers Simple Stick. $ 19.35 at Hobby People .com

You have no idea how many times I have gone to their web page and clicked to buy then changed my mind!!

Like I need even -more- airplanes!!

--
Mike N

bowtie hi
02-22-2007, 04:31 AM
Heck you pay that much for a set of wings. I'm thinking about ordering a couple just for the wings. I can't take the fumes cutting my own. Need a power vent. $19.35 and has lots to go with it but what I like is the ailerons.

Ken
Forgot to add I bought 2 Wasp just for the goodies. A Wasp Slow Stick hybred is killer. Wasp CF boom Gorilla Glued in a SS aluminum boom, SS mounts with Wasp wing, & bigger tailfeathers than the Wasp. Depron