PDA

View Full Version : How do I make it work?

Mr.Clean
03-22-2007, 02:38 PM
The step that goes from RTF Park Flyer to ARF/Build has left me with a few questions.

OK so I plug the lipo into the ESC, the ESC is plugged into the brushless motor. The Second lead from the ESC is plugged into the receiver via the three pin connecter (making sure that positives and negatives are lined up). The servos are also plugged into the receiver. The crystals are in the radio and the receiiver. The TX is on. The ESC lets out a single beep when I plug in the Lipo.

Then nothing happens.
I have heard someone mention "arming the ESC" Is that what I have to do? How do I do that?
Which set of pins should I plug the ESC into? Does it mater?

Sky Sharkster
03-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Hello Mr. Clean, It sounds like you have everything plugged in right, the ESC gets plugged into the receiver port marked "Throttle". The Transmitter is always "On" and throttle stick "Off" before you connect the battery to the ESC. The transmitter is the "Master" it is always "ON" first and "Off" Last. Now you should get some kind of signal, beeps, flashing LEDs, musical tone. Do the servos move? If so, the RX is getting power, the motor should run. There are a few ESCs that require a full-throttle movement, then back to "Off" then it will work normally.
Here's a link with further info;
http://adamone.rchomepage.com/guide1.htm
Hope this helps!
Ron

Geoff_Gino
03-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Also check that your throttle servo on the Tx is normal and not reversed.

ratbastid
03-22-2007, 03:32 PM
It'd be interesting to see if your receiver can power other servos. Plug in one of the servos and see if it responds to stick input. If so, the issue is learning how to arm the ESC. If not, you've got some other problem.

Mr.Clean
03-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Well it wasn't me. I don't feel like such a moron now. There is an issue with either the TX or the RX. I was able to get the motor to fire using a differeny radio and receiver. Man those brushless motors go fast>>>

Thanks guys,
Clean

Rodneh
03-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Different brands of ESC use different arming techniques, read your manual. Also different brands require the transmitter reversing switch on the transmitter to be in different positions; i.e. not all work in the NORM position. Also. program the ESC for the number of cells you are using if it does not automatically set itself.

firemanbill
03-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Also Mr. C remember that Futab/Hitec the ESC plugs into Channel 3, JR/Airtronics it goes into Ch 1.

When you tried it with the other radio was it the same brand?

Solid Hit
03-23-2007, 12:09 AM
It would be a big help knowing what equipment you are using. Brand of rx, tx, esc. Different brands plug into the rx differently.

Don't forget that there is a positive and negative to the servo and esc plugs that go into the rx.

Mr.Clean
03-23-2007, 05:33 AM
I have my problems fixed. Thanks guys!

Rabbitcreekok
03-23-2007, 05:52 AM
I have my problems fixed. Thanks guys!

Come on, fess up and tell us what was wrong.:D :D :D

Mr.Clean
03-23-2007, 02:16 PM
The RX that was given to me for the project was not functioning. Jason at Git-A-Hobby was kind enough to replace it for me. Its all good now.

Rabbitcreekok
03-23-2007, 03:53 PM
That is pretty good of Jason at Git-a-Hobby, to replace a defective receiver that he did not sell. Every one in your part of New York should go buy stuff from Jason at Git-a-Hobby---and tell then that Mr. Clean sent them.

By the way, our club got the Yes Grant from AMA. If I can help you when you apply next years grant, now that you have a club, let me know. Their examples on the site are not really clear on what they want in the application document. Be sure and make a note so the application deadline does not pass.

Mr.Clean
03-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Actually the part in question was donated by Jason at Git-A-Hobby. But I don't mind plugging him he was very good to us. By the way, you can see Jason at Git-A-hobby, in the Summit Park Mall. He has a brand new store. Its worth a look.

Rabbitcreekok
03-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Is this the fellow that builds the flying hydros in his shop? I think I have seen his website, if it is the same fellow.

Mr.Clean
03-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Yes,
He has a store in the mall outside of Niagara Falls area. He also sells his hydorplanes online and is even a member here at WattFlyer. Thats how I met him. Later I found out that his Nephew is in my club here at Lafayette High.

His websight is http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/default.asp

His name here is GITech001.

His name is Jason, he is a great guy.

mewattflyer
03-24-2007, 08:30 PM
hi
on some esc you have to have the throttle stick at high position, connect lipo battery to esc you should hear one beep. then bring throttle stick to low throttle and you should here 2 to 3 beeps. this arms the esc.
connect battery to esc with throttle stick on high throttle puts you in safe mode. esc not armed until to go low throttle.

good luck and happy flying
mewattflyer