PDA

View Full Version : Best scale RTF for around 200$?

diablo
04-06-2007, 01:37 AM
Whut is a really good looking scale RTF for around 200$ that's fun to fly and looks good? Thanks

BESIDES a SUPER CUB ;)

Solid Hit
04-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Super Cub for a beginner. What skill level are you and do you have your own radio?

diablo
04-06-2007, 01:51 AM
No, just I'm looking for everything together. Ready to fly

Solid Hit
04-06-2007, 03:03 AM
Then the Hobby Zone Super Cub is a good choice.

diablo
04-06-2007, 03:10 AM

I hate the super cub, I have one already.

Leo L
04-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Go to Hobby Lobby. While most of their planes are ARF, they do have some very nice RTFs that should fit in your budget.

You can also check out Raidentech. They have good deals on some decent planes, but some of their planes are junk. Do a search before you buy.

Tinman
04-06-2007, 02:11 PM

I'll second that. :)

constantCrash
04-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Only, Why do you hate the super cub? What about don't you like? that would help narrow down your choices. Although it probably is the best trianer out there at the moment.

diablo
04-06-2007, 03:18 PM
I just don't like it, I'm not sure why, I have another thread about it, and I just don't like the way it turns and flies. It's probably just me, But at the moment, I'm just looking for something else. I really like the PZ Cessna 182, but someone else said it was junk, so I don't think i'll get it LoL

Only, Why do you hate the super cub? What about don't you like? that would help narrow down your choices. Although it probably is the best trianer out there at the moment.

Tinman
04-06-2007, 03:41 PM
I have the Super Cub too. Its a great plane to learn how to fly but imm with you, I dont like the way it flys either. Its a little too fast for me and pitches up way to much.

Its probably just me though.

N3CLI
04-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Hobby Lobby has lots and most fly well

diablo
04-06-2007, 08:04 PM
I was looking at getting this one:

http://www.parkflyers.com/html/cessna_182.html

But someone said they bought it, and it was junk, and didn't do so well.

diablo
04-06-2007, 08:12 PM
I like this one also:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/bellanca.htm

Tinman
04-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I like this one also:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/bellanca.htm

I've heard good things about the decathalon... I gorget but there is a review somewhere.. Said it was a good plane.

It probably flys a lot like the cub though...

diablo
04-06-2007, 09:51 PM
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/eindecker.htm

How about this one also? I think its cute haha

Tinman
04-06-2007, 10:30 PM
I would love to have that!

constantCrash
04-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Bellanca Decathlon 480 RTF looks like it might be a good buy. Stock it'll probably fly a lot lke the SC (Tail and elivator only) but it's standard radio equipment so you should be able to add alerons yourself. it's cheaper than the cub to boot.

Go for it and give us all a reivew. ;-)

Leo L
04-09-2007, 01:47 PM
There are split reviews regarding the ParkFlyers Cessna 182. Everyone agrees that its fragile, particularly the wing. It also has poor radio equipment that is very prone to glitching. Once the wing is reinforced and the radio replaced, some flyers say the plane is terrific. Others, like me, couldn't get it to get off the ground. If you hand launch only, you can probably get it to fly, although its quite underpowered. I refuse to handlaunch, so I couldn't get it to take off for anything. I replaced the motor and the speed controller, tried different props, experimented with different batteries, all to no avail. The plane would taxi forever, trying to build up speed. It would climb to about 3 ft. and then gently settle back to the ground. I also found the landing gear to be terribly weak. I finally got it to fly when I put a decent size brushless into it, but it never flew well for me.

The Eindecker is a fun little plane but is very fragile. However, its easy to repair and easy to reinforce. I used carbon fiber flat stock, epoxied in place, to reinforce the sides and the front. I never tried it with the motor that it comes with. I went with a cheap Tower Pro brushless and 1000mah LiPo. I also made the rudder functional and added a steerable tail wheel. I love flying it and with my set-up, it cruises at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. Even for take-offs, I never need to go above 1/2 throttle.

Solid Hit
04-09-2007, 02:50 PM
I had the Eindecker and flew it with the stock motor. Flew very well but as it was said, it is fragile.

I like the looks of the Cessna 182 and the way I would set it up for a beginner is to have the servo for the ailerons setup but not plugged in. I would plug the rudder servo into the aileron spot and fly it as a 3 channel plane. Then after I've become comfortable with it, I would hook it up for the 4 channels. If it is underpowered you may want to consider using a lipo battery or a larger volt battery pack if you don't switch out the motor altogether. To stiffen the wing, simply add a CF rod to a channel you've made on the CG line.

Keep in mind that all the planes you point out are styrofoam or wood not epp and all need modification to fly well.

Another good option is the Hobby Lobby Wingo. It's not scale but it is really cool looking. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hlwingo.htm

The Multiplex EasyStar has been a standard trainer for years and it's epp. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar-rtf.htm

If you are still leaning, I would be more considerate of a trainer and less of scale to advance your success rate. Scale will come but have success first.

Tinman
04-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I had the Eindecker and flew it with the stock motor. Flew very well but as it was said, it is fragile.

I like the looks of the Cessna 182 and the way I would set it up for a beginner is to have the servo for the ailerons setup but not plugged in. I would plug the rudder servo into the aileron spot and fly it as a 3 channel plane. Then after I've become comfortable with it, I would hook it up for the 4 channels.

Keep in mind that all the planes you point out are styrofoam or wood not epp.

Thats a good idea Bill.

I wonder how fast the 182 is? The Super Cub was my first plane, and the only thing I had problems with was the speed of it. Even when it was at 1/2 throttle I felt way behind it.

Murocflyer
04-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Did he mention flying ability? He said he had the Super Cub, but is it still flyable? Skill level sure makes a difference in what plane to get.

Does he have a trainer available to give him pointers?

Shouldn't he really look into getting a decent radio like an Optic 6 and an easy plane to fly?

Just some thoughts. I have a few others.

Frank

Tinman
04-09-2007, 09:36 PM
I agree about buying a good radio. If I could do it all over again I would skip the RTF birds and would of went and bought a nice radio. As long as your serious about the hobby having a nice radio will pay off in the long run for sure.

Solid Hit
04-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Frank, onlyemokid has been on the forum for a time. I think he is having trouble flying the SC and from what I can gather, he is doing it alone. Many of us have had to to it that way.

Since he is having trouble with the SC and he wants a RTF, I still think the EasyStar is his best bet for success. I really don't believe that there is an easier plane out there.

A good many new fliers are more concerned with looks rather then fly-ability for their skill level. I know I was but I listened and read and decided that a real trainer was what I needed first. Being able to actually fly something was what kept me in the hobby and allowed me to learn.

bowtie hi
04-09-2007, 10:46 PM
I vote on the EasyStar. Its tough and will take lots more than the others.

diablo
04-09-2007, 11:41 PM
I've purchased me a Futaba radio, and I no longer have the super cub. I'm piecing together a GWS PT-17 plane :)

Tinman
04-09-2007, 11:43 PM
That sounds cool!