PDA

View Full Version : Got my first (and hopefully last) injury.

JWilliams
04-18-2007, 07:20 PM
Although i am increasingly using eye protection when playing around, I have a fairly powerful electric (by my standards) I've built now. Playing around on Sunday by testing it in the basement as I held its fuse, the prop was not attached properly to the shaft and flew off. Well, as luck would have it, my ear took the brunt and I have a 2 inch long cut starting on my cheek and going into the ear. It didn't bleed that badly, but it could have been an eye!

So my lessons are: eye protection is good, props can indeed cause real damage (and this is only a 200W plane), and be careful when testing indoors, keeping the naughty bits as far away as possible.

max2112
04-18-2007, 07:52 PM
JW, Iam glad you're OK! That could have been a lot worse.

There is an old, corny army saying:

STAY ALERT -- STAY ALIVE!!

stinkweed007
04-18-2007, 08:17 PM
JW, well were glad you only got that.. I had a prop spun up at full speed and it (luckily) flew off away from me and stuck 2cm deep in my oak entertainment center.. Lesson Learned..

Hu-ah Max..

JWilliams
04-18-2007, 08:44 PM
I had a prop spun up at full speed and it (luckily) flew off away from me and stuck 2cm deep in my oak entertainment center.. Yikes! Must have been more energy behind it than my one.

I've since had the prop fly off twice, but with the plane across the room, and I still cannot mount it properly. It broke on the third time so now i"m trying something different, but even a smallish electric motor can really put out some force.

WaldoXerxes
04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I got hit by a propellor flying off. Hit me at the base of my thumb. Got a pretty good scar there now.:D

eflight-ray
04-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I can also add the warning to anyone hand launching a pusher flying wing, be very carefull.

The scars across the back of my hand have faded, but now she gets one hell of a push with the motor off and I just hope to get the power on before she hits the ground.

Once bitten .......

aviatordave
04-18-2007, 10:08 PM
yes..once bitten. We (I) get complacent with these things. I have scars on my left hand from when I stuck it in a OS 60.....only 18 stitches - but I still have my fingers.

TLyttle
04-19-2007, 03:18 AM
Wow. I did all my learning on OKCubs and other less-energetic engines. When I moved over to diesels, then I had to relearn some of it...

Props cut flesh just as easily and effectively as air!

jdetray
04-19-2007, 07:36 AM
My eye protection lesson does not involve a prop ...

While building a homemade brushless motor, I decided to spin it up to evenly distribute CA glue around the magnets. A drop of CA flew off the rotor and into my eye, where it instantly cured -- stuck to my eyeball.

Luckily, the CA landed on the white part of my eye, not on the optical surface. I soon learned that CA is water-soluble, and sure enough, it dissolved on its own after a few days with no permanent harm done.

This happened despite the fact that I had a pair of safety glasses sitting on the bench. I've been much more strict about eye protection since this incident.

- Jeff

N3CLI
04-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Wow. I did all my learning on OKCubs and other less-energetic engines. When I moved over to diesels, then I had to relearn some of it...

Props cut flesh just as easily and effectively as air!

I also had an OK Cub 0.64 with the tank made as part of the engine. It was a very mild mannered engine that lasted forever. Ahhh the old days !!

Fred:D :D

Bundy_90
04-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Got pictures? :D