PDA

View Full Version : GP Dr1 recover and paint etc...

Pages : [1] 2

Biplane Murphy
07-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Hi everyone.........I finally recieved my GP Dr1 after 3 1/2 months on Backorder!!!!!

I am going to strip it down(already done) and recover it in white.

Then I will use covering material and paint for a color scheme suggested by scalercflyer (thanks Martin):)

I have some of the gear needed, and the rest is on order!!

So...........let the games begin!!!!!

Murph.............

Biplane Murphy
07-25-2007, 11:58 PM
here she is...........not even unpacked yet.

Biplane Murphy
07-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Oh No.............now it's naked!!!!!:<:)

I guess I'm commited to the project now.;-)

Murph............

Biplane Murphy
07-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Here's the color scheme I will be using........(thanks Martin):)

Murph..........

Cookie
07-26-2007, 12:25 AM
I'll be watching you. You better do a good job or I'll send my Sopwith Camel after you.::o

Biplane Murphy
07-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Hi Cookie..........I'm jealous........I want want a Camel bad!!

Built a rubber band stick and tissue one when I was a kid....it didn't live long!!

Murph........

Cookie
07-26-2007, 12:47 AM
Well, here's a picture of the Camel taking off for "dawn patrol". The other is a Camel disguised as a German plane.

Biplane Murphy
07-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Nice pics....tell me more!!

Murph.......

Cookie
07-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Just old, out of production, Wattage slow flyer kits that I got ahold of and put brushless motors in. You can find them on eBay once in a while. They make a great slow flyer. They need a brushless motor though. The supplied geared 370 motor is a piece of junk. They fly nice and slow like the real deal.

Biplane Murphy
07-26-2007, 12:57 AM
It's all about the brushless gear for me!!!.......If brushed gear comes with an arf etc... I immediately put it in the circular file!!;-)

Murph.......

smokejohnson
07-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Subscribed

Nice looking planes cookie .:)

Biplane Murphy
07-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Hi Smoke....welcome to the WW1 scene!!!

Murph..........

Biplane Murphy
07-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Hey Steve.....Where's Martin?.....I think he'll like the Naked Dr1 pics!!
And if he wants more photos of the "Guts" he has till tommorow afternoon.
I'll be starting, and hopefully finishing the covering (white) then!!

Murph............

Gnascher
07-26-2007, 01:30 AM
I wanna see this ... subscribed.

WWI Ace
07-26-2007, 01:55 AM
Martin will probably be on later Murph. You know how the ELDERLY are! Ha ha!!! HE'S GONNA KILL ME FOR THAT!! The bare bones look very well built. I have the D7 but haven't built it yet. I like the color scheme that you picked out. Should be really nice looking in the air. You know Martin's gonna slam you over that planes oversized rudder don't you? Steve.

gfdengine204
07-26-2007, 02:09 AM
Subscribed....I love those planes.....and I wanna watch!

Thanks fellas!

Biplane Murphy
07-26-2007, 02:48 AM
Steve.......Then I better not tell him how I was considering building 3-D control surfaces then!!!:<..........Just Kidding!!!

What do you think He'd say if I recovered it with RED......or PINK!!:p

Murph...............

gfdengine204
07-26-2007, 03:22 AM
Steve.......Then I better not tell him how I was considering building 3-D control surfaces then!!!:<..........Just Kidding!!!

What do you think He'd say if I recovered it with RED......or PINK!!:p

Murph...............

I personally like the Blue scheme.....

Grasshopper
07-26-2007, 05:21 AM
Subscribed too. I love the Dr1.

gfdengine204
07-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Tom, are you following me again? :eek:

Grasshopper
07-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Tom, are you following me again? :eek:

No, I'm just a little slow getting here because I'm older and have to drag my big long glowing green thing behind me.:<

scalercflyer
07-27-2007, 01:39 AM
All right Murph! Take that rudder and reduce it by about a third, then it will be about right. If you don't know how, I'll make you one! I am warning you Guys!! If more GP DRIs take to the skies with over sized rudders, the ghost of Anthony Fokker will visit you! Tell us Murph, was she hard to uncover? Sure am looking forward to seeing her fully dressed. AND YOU STEVE! Who are you calling old!!??? Just because some of us can fart dust doesn't mean we're old! Wise cracking Texicans! They're all over the place! BTW Boys, my AMA number is 18072! Martin

Biplane Murphy
07-27-2007, 01:49 AM
Hi Martin....She wasn't too hard to uncover...tried a heat gun to loosen the glue, but that made it stick even more!!!
So I just used hobby knife and pulled it off....
A little glue/pigment stayed behind, but a little scraping and or sanding dealt with that.

I have 1 1/2 rolls of white Ultracote I will recover it with starting in about an hour......
Then paint and more covering material (crosses) to do the scheme.

I really like using rudder, do you think it would be effective if I shrank it down, because I easily can.

Your AMA # makes mine look like a baby!!!!:<

Murph..........

Biplane Murphy
07-27-2007, 01:52 AM
Oh yeah....One of my flying buddies brought his GP Dr1 over 1/2 finished, and asked me to do the final assembly............so doing 2 Dr1's at once now!!!
At least there is a rimfire outrunner in it for me....going in my Dr1!!
So I guess mine won't be as hopped up as my usual setup, but will still be fun!!

Murph...........

WWI Ace
07-27-2007, 02:09 AM
I'd go with the PINK Murph with some PURPLE diagonal stripes all over it!!! Martin will love that!!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy
07-27-2007, 02:10 AM
Lol:)

gfdengine204
07-27-2007, 02:33 AM
No, I'm just a little slow getting here because I'm older and have to drag my big long glowing green thing behind me.:<

Funny.....mine doesn't drag along behind me.....it kinda points the way....;-):Q

Biplane Murphy
07-27-2007, 04:42 AM
O.K. started the white base covering.......

Finshed .....Fuselage, Horizontal stab with elevator, small wing between wheels, and (oversized) rudder (sorry martin).

It's coming out nicely so far.:)

All three wings and the 2 ailerons stil left to cover!!!:sad:

Here's a couple photos......

Murph...........

P.S. Martin, have you started your MVR alternate scheme yet?

Cookie
07-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Smokejohnson, Thanks for the compliment. I get a lot of looks at the flying field when I cruise by half as fast as everyone else. They just cruise like the real thing.

Murph, nice job covering the fuse and tail feathers. Keep up the good work.

scalercflyer
07-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Steve, I'm going to beat you till you bleed!

Biplane Murphy
07-28-2007, 06:06 AM
Well Today my friend aske me to finish his 1/2 done GP Dr1......

Finished it up.....She's ready to hunt those pesky "Brits"!!

Will resume covering on mine tomorrow afternoon after some flying in the morning.

Here's a pretty RED one for you Martin!!!:<

Murph........

P.S. he pulled out the "wing string so had to cut the wing open in almost every rib bay to put in the "Y" harness!!! A little covering material and good as new.

Cookie
07-28-2007, 08:34 AM
I had to cut the covering on the bottom side of the top wing too. The servo connector got turned sideways and wouldn't go through. A bit larger holes in the ribs would be a nice improvement. Luckilly, I had some spare red Monocote on hand.

I painted the hubs/rims on the my landing gear wheels an off white to give them a different color from the rest of the plane and to look more like canvas.

WWI Ace
07-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Good job on your buddies plane Murph!! Hey Martin did you see that sweet looking RED tripe up above? Steve.

Biplane Murphy
07-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Maidened my buddies Dr1 for him this morning.........
Blue skies....No wind....No pesky Brits in sight....
Perfect conditions.

Took off quickly...lots of power...Stock setup except 1250 Kv instead of 950 Kv motor.

Climbed massively....went to trim her out, but before we could the motor mount seperated from the plane!!!!:<
Ate the cowl!!!:blah:

Then I had to deadstick a motorless, Tailheavy (no motor), High drag tripe!!!:roll:

Managed to land her in one piece.....except the no motor thing.;-)

Here's some photos....

I will be heavily reinforcing the motor mount on mine!!!!
Triangle stock on inside, and fiberglass/epoxy around the outside of the corners......At the minimum!!!!!

Murph...........

smokejohnson
07-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Oh no Murph ::o. Damage doesn't look too bad though. Good job bringing it in with no more damage.

Biplane Murphy
07-29-2007, 01:16 AM
It ate the cowl like a food processor..........But the other damage is very minor.
My buddy is mad at Great Planes, so I E-mailed him the pics and he will call them monday.
They usually stand behind there stuff, so I think they'll probably make it right!! (super weak glue joints or wood....whatever it was)

Murph............

scalercflyer
07-29-2007, 01:37 AM
Hey Murph. Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about the failure and your recommendations for modifications. I am concerned about this happening to my DRI (and someone elses too). I am glad it survived intact. One thing is for certain. If it was that two fisted crazy Texican flying it, it probably would have ended up in your lap! Take that Steve! Martin

Grasshopper
07-29-2007, 01:49 AM
Man I like those Dr1s. I watched a gasser Dr1 fy in Tulsa today. They sure are perty. I'll post some pics in a little while when I get time to download and resize all of them.

Biplane Murphy
07-29-2007, 01:52 AM
Well the motor box mount/ firewall (End of box)
popped right off...in flight...1/2-3/4 throttle used during flight.
One of the photos shows where glue and wood seperated.

Triangle stock (square 1/4-3/8 or so stick would work too) epoxied into the inside of the joint should strengthen it a bit.
Then on the outside I think I will epoxy a strip of fiberglass around the "Corner".....

I really dont want this to happen to mine!!!! So I will definately beef it way up.
I tend to be very hard on my models, lots of high speed high alpha manuevers., So I can't leave it the way it is.

There is also the possibility he got a "defective" one.(weak glue or wood)
But why risk it.

I will take photos when I get to that point of the project.....
Maybe I'll do that stuff tomorrow.

After flying in morning, and working in the afternoon, I'm too tired to work on planes.

Murph.........

Biplane Murphy
07-29-2007, 01:54 AM
After looking at mine...They used 1/8"(?) triangle balsa stock in there....(or smaller..will have to measure it)

Looks inadeqate to me.....

Murph........

Biplane Murphy
07-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Martin....the no motor landing was wild....
Stall...dive....turn...stall....dive....stall....d ive....land...breathe.....applause.

I was fairly high up so had some time to plan my landing.

Murph..........

Biplane Murphy
07-29-2007, 02:06 AM
I think I'll add some washers to increase the downthrust a little as well!!

Forgot to mention that earlier.

Learned alot today, and plan to put that Knowledgee to good use!!

Murph..........

WWI Ace
07-29-2007, 05:17 AM
Good job Murph!! I've had some close calls with my tripes too sometimes!! Contrary little airplanes sometimes. People ask me why I like them because of the relatively poor ground handling. I guess it's just the challenge and the fact that I FLY WHAT I WANNA FLY!!! I don't buy a plane just because some review says it's easy to fly or has no bad characteristics. You'll never become a better pilot without pushing yourself. I have a feeling you have sorta the same philosophy and that's what helped save your buddys tripe. A little luck never hurts either!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy
07-29-2007, 05:31 AM
Hi steve....Luck always helps...and altitude.....

I set my planes up with extreme throws...I like em a bit twitchy....
That seems to help when things go wrong .

I can tell I'll really like my tripe when its done. With the right throws, it should have some blinding roll rates.(I know...not scale)

I do push myself....Fly in all sorts of crazy winds....try new aerobatics...etc...
One of my best friends is a better pilot than me, so I push it to try to keep up. He started first, so I'll probably never catch him.

I bought the G3.5 sim for christmas(with all the add-ons and expansion packs)....so I now use that for learning new stuff. My skill level jumped up quickly.
I used to just risk my planes, and destroyed a bunch of them!!!
Many more to destroy in the future.

Murph...........

FlyingMonkey
07-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I set my planes up with extreme throws...I like em a bit twitchy....
That seems to help when things go wrong .

I do push myself....Fly in all sorts of crazy winds....try new aerobatics...etc..

I used to just risk my planes, and destroyed a bunch of them!!!
Many more to destroy in the future.

Murph...........

I do the same, that's why I am nearly out of planes at the moment. But, I am sticking to blucor airframes, my GWS stuff is waiting to be finished. I was flying the heck out of my planes, in all winds, and having a blast.

Although, I have now slowed down quite a bit, now that I have a camera attached to a plane. THIS is the best part of flying, I think. I love coming back with a new view from up high....

Biplane Murphy
07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
O.K. took some 1/2 inch basswood stick... sanded it way down into a trapezoid shape in the cross section. both sides custom fit.
Epoxied it in.

Sanded area to be fiberglassed....only fiberglass cloth I had was heavier than needed, but used it anyway.
applied epoxy then cloth then epoxy.....
let cure then trimmed and carved away excess....

Bulletproof Now!!!!:)

Photos # 1-3 are before.

Photos # 4-7 are after.

Hi Martin....Any questions just ask!!! I think this will work really well.

Murph................

stinkweed007
07-31-2007, 08:27 AM
subscribing

Biplane Murphy
08-01-2007, 12:41 AM
O.K. top wing covered and ailerons....
Scalloped trailing edges are a pain!!!!
Installed "Y" harness after covering bottom of wing, then covered top of wing. Don't know how they expected anyone to pull it through a covered wing!!!

Murph.........

P.S. Trying to develope a stencil technique with paper and rubber cement......more to come later.....

Cookie
08-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Looking good. Be sure to leave yourself a little extra Y-Harness wire at the aileron servo locations in case you have to remove a servo later.

You can get Iron Cross stick-ons at numerous on-line stores. Stenciling is a pain and rarely comes out clean looking. Or cut them out of iron-on material.

Biplane Murphy
08-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Looking good. Be sure to leave yourself a little extra Y-Harness wire at the aileron servo locations in case you have to remove a servo later.

You can get Iron Cross stick-ons at numerous on-line stores. Stenciling is a pain and rarely comes out clean looking. Or cut them out of iron-on material.

Thanks Cookie....

I was thinking I may do the Iron on method for the Crosses...But really want to airbrush them on...we'll see later on.( if I can make stencils that work well...next attempt will be wax paper)

I did leave some slack in the "Y" harness for that very reason...the excess is tucked into the gap between the leading edge sheets....1-2 rib bays down.
I will undoubtedly strip a servo or 2....seems to happen periodically
with the HS-55's.

Murph.....

Biplane Murphy
08-01-2007, 01:49 AM
I think this is the seventh whole plane I have covered.....Thank goodness for lessons learned on the previous ones!!!!! Dr1 has alot of funny angles....scalloped TE etc....

Murph.........

WWI Ace
08-01-2007, 03:05 AM
Tell me about it Murph!! The one I'm workin" on has a 23"ws!!!! I gotta figure out what's up with my camera so I can post pics!! Steve.

Cookie
08-01-2007, 03:49 AM
For stencil painting, try masking paper.. Experiment on some scrap material. I have used it and it works well because it has some weight and substance to it, but I still haven't been able to get good clean sharp edges in some areas even using an airbrush. I end up with "fuzzy" edges from the paint creeping under the stencil. Some come out good. Some not as I had hoped.

Biplane Murphy
08-01-2007, 03:52 AM
Where do I find masking paper?
I intend to try a variety of papers etc....
I,m thinking some kind of paper that won't absorb the paint........

Murph............

Cookie
08-01-2007, 04:14 AM
Home Depot type stores carry it in rolls. You can get different length rolls. It's light brown colored, not to be confused with shopping bag paper. Shopping bag paper is heavier and courser.

Biplane Murphy
08-01-2007, 04:18 AM
Thanks cookie....I'll look around town....Nearest Home Depot type store is 1 1/2 hours away....

What do you like to use to temporarily adhere it?

Cookie
08-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Try a stationary store or a paint store. Paint stores should have the masking paper. I usually just position and tape it from the outside (unused) edge of the stencil. Using an adhesive to hold the stencil in place would be even better because you wouldn't have it lifting up while airbrushing it. I've never done that, but you just gave me an idea. Now, to figure out what would hold it down but not mess up the covering material.??

Biplane Murphy
08-01-2007, 05:16 AM
I,m thinking rubber cement...It held good but released easily in my first test.
I think the paper I used (printer paper) let the paint bleed (brushed on paint)

The paper from the back of Ultracote looks like it might work well. (I'll try tomorrow)

Cookie
08-01-2007, 05:28 AM
Murph, I just thought of this and had to share it. You can get 8x10 label paper for printers that has an adhesive on the back. You peel off the backing cover and apply it to whatever you're labeling. I've also seen custom car painters use some paper like that to cut out flames then apply the paper to the car as a masking. So, why wouldn't that work to stencil a wing or fuselage? You wouldn't have to worry about applying adhesive to the paper because it is already on the back side of the paper. I think I'd call a automotive paint supply and see if I could get that masking paper with the adhesive backing that the flame and scallop painters use. It might be the best way to go. Probably expensive paper though.

Biplane Murphy
08-01-2007, 06:03 AM
I'd be interested to hear about that......

FlyingMonkey
08-01-2007, 10:50 AM
what about news print paper?

WWI Ace
08-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Are we gettin' close to painting yet? Steve.

Biplane Murphy
08-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Gotta cover middle and lower wings still......maybe today after flyin'....then paint!!!

WWI Ace
08-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Can't fly here!! The wind is 20mph and gusty!! Got my plumbing project almost finished then I can work on planes!!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy
08-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Poor Steve.....wind stinks...just got back from the field....good day...
Maidened a friends Elecristar....helped with his Kadet ep.....
Flew my GP Ultimate Biplane EP a couple times....
Now to relax a litle, and then finish covering those wings for the Dr1:)

WWI Ace
08-05-2007, 04:19 AM
I put the horizontal stab on my little tripe after checking all the wings for warps. It has a balsa built up cowl so I built it, put in my two side locating pins, then glued rare earth magnets at the top to hold it on. I took wood filler diluted with water to form a paste to fill in the grain. I'll let it dry overnight and try to get it sanded and painted. Steve.

Biplane Murphy
08-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Well....Steve is making progress, and so am I!!

Covered middle and lower wings this evening.:)

Next is to glue some "bits and bobs" to the wings, and then the painting shall begin!!!!:)

Here's the photos of the 2 lower wings all covered in white.
and also the top wing for good measure.:)

Biplane Murphy
08-05-2007, 06:42 AM
I guess I should post pics of all the parts covered so.....

brnyrbbl
08-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Looking good Murph!

WWI Ace
08-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Your moving right along Murph!! Gonna be a cool plane when your done. Where's Martin and his tripe? I wanna see what he's up to!! Steve

Biplane Murphy
08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
thanks guys.....might do a little painting today if the fog and clouds cear up a little....pretty cold and humid today.
not the best painting weather!!!

Yeah Steve...I'm wondering about Martin's tripe as well......

WWI Ace
08-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Martin might have given up on us!!! Steve.

Grasshopper
08-06-2007, 12:22 AM
thanks guys.....might do a little painting today if the fog and clouds cear up a little....pretty cold and humid today.
not the best painting weather!!!

Yeah Steve...I'm wondering about Martin's tripe as well......

I'll trade you!

CHELLIE
08-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Hi Murphy :) your DR1 is looking very nice, keep up the good work, Chellie

gfdengine204
08-10-2007, 04:19 AM
I'll trade you!

You could trade him his weather for your weather and a monkey to be named later.....:Q

Grasshopper
08-10-2007, 04:22 AM
I think the monkey would be a deal breaker.

gfdengine204
08-10-2007, 04:50 AM
I bet you are right.

FlyingMonkey
08-10-2007, 04:57 AM
Ok, so I had bought the E-Flite Ultimate FX 3D the other day, and it came with a Park 400 outrunner.

I had intended to pick up the Cessna 182 by E-Flite because IT came with a Park 400 outrunner. Both were selling for 70 bucks.

Well, today I decided to pick up the Cessna at the "local" shop. I called down there, asked the price, and was told, as expected, $70. I asked if it came with the motor. The guy there said he'ld check, left me holding a moment, and came back saying that I could have it for that price, with the motor AND a 25 amp ESC.

Well, needless to say, I shot right there.

While in there, I saw he had his Dr1 hanging up. He said it flew well, then I got him to admit it didn't treat him so well.

This was not unexpected. He's used to larger gas trainer types from what he's told me. And as we all know, the GP tripe flies very scale, which is to say, it's a handful.

I could also see by looking at how he had put it together, that it must not have flown well. The top wing was mounted with the supports backwards. Leaving it with it's leading edge back over the cockpit. He had it marked for $139 for everything, rimfire motor, 4 HS-55 servos, Pheonix 25 speed control, Futaba receiver, and a GP 3S 1250 battery.

I decided to hold off. He went to ring my purchace of the Cessna up, and had trouble with the credit card machine. My pruchase with 4 HS-55 servos came to $129.88, he accidentally rang it three times.

He was very sorry, because he didn't know how to undo it. The woman who knew how to run the shop was off today. So, I told him, give me the triplane for one ring, and give me the cash for the other.

He was happy with this deal. Not only that, but he will be bringing in the charger for the battery, for me to pick up sometime next week.

So, two new planes (the triplane had one flight), and almost all the electronics to have them in the air for $260.00. Not quite as good as firemanbill, but I think I did ok.

Biplane Murphy
08-10-2007, 06:36 AM
hey Monkey....if you need help fixing up the tripe just ask.....I built my friends and I'm building mine now...as you can see.

The stock gear will fly that tripe well!!

Did they mount the tabs (for the struts and cabanes) backwards in the wings? Did he give you the manual for it? Do you need CG info or anything else etc....?

Check out the Motor mount box Beef up/ reinforceing I did in earlier part of thread....I highly recommend doing something like that. My buddies motor mount/motor flew right off the plane....Blendered the cowl and left me to deadstick a high drag tailheavy tripe....

Welcome to WW1 Monkey man....Watch your six....SE5a's lurk everywhere:Q
Let me know, and if I can help I will.:)

FlyingMonkey
08-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I know about them dern SE5a's. Saw one flying at my secret field not too long ago.

He shot down my BlueFunder (ok, me trying to show off, too low to the ground before I had enough flying experience shot me down, but that doesn't sounds as good.)

I hope to be ready for him next time.

He did butcher this plane. I will need to adjust the CG before she goes airborne. He had this huge RX in it, glow plane sized. I will slap one of my light weight ones in. The wires were a mess, and his ground effect wing was at the wrong angle. He was telling me how it wouldn't land, it kept bouncing. I told him that was what that little thing between the wheels was for...

smokejohnson
08-22-2007, 02:07 AM
How is the Dr1 coming along Murph?

Biplane Murphy
08-22-2007, 02:14 AM
How is the Dr1 coming along Murph?

Well :roll:.....No real progress as of yet....I have had to assemble 4 other planes for other people!!....And my litter of Springer Spaniel Pups have been taking alot of time lately....

I'll be beginning the painting real soon!!! I'm debating wether to airbrush it (as originally planned), or hand brush it (heavier but easier)...

Thanks for asking.......:)...P.S. Your P-40 build looks sweet.....I have a few of those on order with Saucerguy also...:)

But those aren't my "Top Secret" super sweet plane he's designing for me........shhhhhhh....declassification to be announced....:tc:

Oh yeah...It ISN''T a Flying Monkey with Parachuting penguins Bomb release....:Q;-):)

smokejohnson
08-22-2007, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the compliment on the P-40. I'm looking forward to seeing how others finish theres. You have my curiosity peaked with all the "super secret bipe" talk. I wonder watt it could be??

Biplane Murphy
08-22-2007, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the compliment on the P-40. I'm looking forward to seeing how others finish theres. You have my curiosity peaked with all the "super secret bipe" talk. I wonder watt it could be??

Well....It's not a Bipe...hehehehehe.....:roll:

FlyingMonkey
08-22-2007, 03:38 AM
It's not even a plane. It's a unicycle.

Biplane Murphy
08-22-2007, 03:43 AM
It's not even a plane. It's a unicycle.

Wrong again Monkey Boy.:Q

Here's a hint...ailerons and elevator...no rudder....that's all you get for now......except the "Top Secret Smiley" :tc:

FlyingMonkey
08-22-2007, 03:45 AM
dang censors!!!

WWI Ace
08-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Stop arguing boys or I'm tellin' mom!!! Steve.

FlyingMonkey
08-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Mom encourages it.

She thinks it is funny...

Water Boy
08-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Great thread Murph..I must say your more brave then me. My covering skills are sub-par at best. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Gotta love those WWI German planes, they had some of the best schemes around.

xuzme720
08-26-2007, 10:59 PM
hey Murph. not sure if this would help but if you can find it, you might try frisket film...it might be what was suggested earlier as the automotive masking paper. I used to use it for some of my graphic airbrushing. self sticking and all you need to do is cut out your design and stick it on. or as an alternative there is a spray on mask. but with that you'd have to cut out the design on top of the covering, not the best alternative!

Biplane Murphy
08-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Great thread Murph..I must say your more then me. My covering skills are sub-par at best. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Gotta love those WWI German planes, they had some of the best schemes around.

Thanks for the compliment....I've been doing a bit of covering in my endeavors....the painting will be a new addition..hence the delay here...

Biplane Murphy
08-26-2007, 11:18 PM
hey Murph. not sure if this would help but if you can find it, you might try frisket film...it might be what was suggested earlier as the automotive masking paper. I used to use it for some of my graphic airbrushing. self sticking and all you need to do is cut out your design and stick it on. or as an alternative there is a spray on mask. but with that you'd have to cut out the design on top of the covering, not the best alternative!

I thought about the Frisket, but it's a bit pricey...I may just cut the crosses out of the "Ultracote" and iron them on....haven't decided yet...
I may try to find decals for them as well...I believe this is 1/12 sport scale...
If anyone has a source for the "later" straight crosses let me know....:)

FlyingMonkey
08-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the compliment....I've been doing a bit of covering in my endeavors....the painting will be a new addition..hence the delay here...

What is the paint scheme you're going for?

Biplane Murphy
08-27-2007, 12:14 AM
What is the paint scheme you're going for?

This one that Martin/ScaleRCflyer suggested:.....

or maybe the other one that the infamous "Pink Baron" used.....hehehehehe

Water Boy
08-27-2007, 01:01 AM
Murph, About your crosses. Your wanting to use the regular + cross right? Not the iron cross. Either way why not by some sticker paper for you inkjet and print some off and cut them out?
I thought about building a 8-8.5ws DVII and using this scheme....But mine would be foam.
Heres a pretty blue DR1 to match the pinky. Matching his and hers Fokkers.....Meet the Fokkers.....:Q

FlyingMonkey
08-27-2007, 01:03 AM
I'll say this. As much as I enjoy my "new" P-47, the Ultimate is certainly my current favorite flyer.

I would love to see them make some WWI planes like my E-Flite Ultimate

Biplane Murphy
08-27-2007, 01:16 AM
I'll say this. As much as I enjoy my "new" P-47, the Ultimate is certainly my current favorite flyer.

I would love to see them make some WWI planes like my E-Flite Ultimate
I think Sig does...but 3 channel...I bet they could be modified for ailerons though.
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV4.html?E+Sig

You know Fred...Balsa is nice too...and iron on covering is aesy with a little practice....

my Balsa Ultimate is my favorite right now.....:)

FlyingMonkey
08-27-2007, 01:26 AM
I just like the throw it in your car and go, ease of my foamies.

Biplane Murphy
08-27-2007, 01:32 AM
I just like the throw it in your car and go, ease of my foamies.

I can fit my Se5a...FokkerDVIII and the Ultimate in my Camaro.....All balsa....I think our "Ultimates are the same wingspan (or real close):)

FlyingMonkey
08-27-2007, 01:36 AM
I have that added pucker factor over puncturing the coating

Biplane Murphy
08-27-2007, 01:38 AM
I have to say that it does happen....I have lots of covering material and some of my planes start looking like a patchwork quilt....I sometimes use other colors where the damaged areas are so I know what has broken and where....luckily the covering is really easy to patch!!

Water Boy
08-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Murph..Heres a link to a thread on RCG that has a TON of decals for many many planes. Heres one with the straight cross. Have you thought about using sticker paper and printing it on your inkjet?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=459876

Biplane Murphy
08-28-2007, 12:21 AM
thanks Harry...I haven't tried it yet...but just might....Bookmarked the page....I might use a printed copy for a stencil to cut them out of Ultracote.:)

WWI Ace
08-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Where ya at Martin? Wanna see how your doin!!! Steve.

WWI Ace
08-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Check out my old blue tripe in the avatar!!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy
08-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Check out my old blue tripe in the avatar!!! Steve.

Nice tripe Steve....same color scheme as Franny's.
Where is martin.....Ive been wondering that myself.....
I will be on to the painting the Dr1 real soon....My litter of springer pups have been taking alot of time....they are almost 8 weeks old now, and a couple go to their new owners on thursday....then the building will resume.:)

WWI Ace
08-28-2007, 11:51 PM
The tripe in the avatar is a Kavan foam ARF. I put a brushless outrunner in it and flew it for awhile. I retired it till my youngest learns to fly then I'll put it in the air again,( or at least the boy will!!). I haven't heard from Martin. Maybe he'll talk to us soon!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy
08-28-2007, 11:57 PM
I sure wish my Dad was into RC when I was growing up....or now for that matter....

I'm going to go for a visit in a couple of months....taking a bipe with me (or the tripe when it is done)....
going to try to meet up with a couple So. Cal. Wattflyers....

Maybe I can inspire Pops to fly. (just not with one of my planes):Q

WWI Ace
08-29-2007, 12:09 AM
As soon as that boy of mine is out of his cast and we get good weather we're going flying!!! Steve.

scalercflyer
08-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Here I am Boys! I've been a little busy just trying to stay afloat. The cash crunch seems to have devoured my airplane money! :red: Oh Well..... I maidened my Funny Park 2 weeks ago. I'm disappointed it's not the floater I imagined. :{ I may need to work with it some more. I think it's nose heavy. I also built a flat Extra Foamie. Took it to the field 2 nights ago thinking I can hand launch it with no problem. Turns out I had some down trim in it. Flew for about 15 feet (about three seconds) and I promptly crashed it. :{ Oh Well back to the shop for more repairs. I haven't had the time to work on the tripe. However, I plan to start this weekend. Maybe I'll leave it red..... JUST KIDDING! Steve and Murph! I find myself running out of equipment lately too. Only have enough for 1 more flight system. :sad:Well I need to buy more Bergs anyway (after I get some more airplane money..... He He). I love these RXs. They are absolutely bullet proof. Alot of the Guys in the club fly them. Just trying to get as much flying in as I can. Martin

Biplane Murphy
08-30-2007, 01:31 AM
Hi Martin....Glad to hear from you.....building flat foamies huh:<

I really need to paint the Dr1!!! I have a new "Top Secret plane " coming any day now.....It will need paint too...I'm thinking I'll do both at the same time....:)

I need more electronics too...Have everything for the Dr1 and the new plane, but nothing for the "Brisfit" which will be next after these 2.....

WWI Ace
08-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Tonight we have another meeting planned to try to get a flying club started here again. Hope somebody shows up!! Hey Martin order your servos from www.unitedhobbies.com (http://www.unitedhobbies.com) for about $2.99 each. I bought some to put in a plane. Well better go get ready. Talk to ya later guys!!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy
08-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Good luck Steve...it'll be great for you if you can get a club together!!!

scalercflyer
08-31-2007, 02:55 AM
Yeah Steve, Guys. I plan to place an order real soon. Prices are fantastic! I need more motors, servos, props,.......... :) martin

WWI Ace
08-31-2007, 03:02 AM
Okay guys I went to the meeting. There were nine of us present. I signed my youngest boy and myself up with the AMA so we're legal. We have a field (that will need to be mowed) and a heated/air conditioned building for meetings. The owner used to run offroad RC cars there. There is about 10 acres of field. It's about a mile out of town. Almost all the guys are slimer pilots but they'll get over it!!! Steve.

xuzme720
08-31-2007, 03:43 AM
nice! good luck with the club...wish pampa was closer to houston. :(

scalercflyer
08-31-2007, 03:55 AM
Oh Baby, Oh Baby!!! A new club and a new field!! Steve we are expecting you to carry the torch forward for WWI aviation enthusiasts and the Boys here on this thread. Show 'em how it's done Steve and Colt!!! Put the wind up their tails and the fear of God in their hearts! Electric is the only way to go! Martin

Biplane Murphy
08-31-2007, 04:23 AM
Sweet!!!!! A club to call your own.....Is Colt going to be the President?:)
10 acres is nice too.

WWI Ace
08-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Okay I didn't pick the name but it will be PORKS which stands for Pampa Outback Radio Kontrol Society. I know that "control" doesn't start with a "K" but I can't help it. I actually suggested that Colt be president. The AMA rules only state that 3 officers have to be over 19. I also suggested that our club cards look like a strip of bacon!! Guess we'll pick officers at the next meeting. We have our first workday a week from tomorrow. Steve.

Biplane Murphy
08-31-2007, 11:57 PM
Steve you guys are stoked...nothing like a club field to call home!!!!
Your club is even smaller than mine (24 members).
That means lots of time in the air.:)

SUPERSPORT
04-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Update?

What ever happened to this? Is it still plain white or did you finish it? I'd like to see it.

Biplane Murphy
04-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Update?

What ever happened to this? Is it still plain white or did you finish it? I'd like to see it.

It is still all white and in pieces, waiting for me to get off my backside and paint it....likely be happening very soon.....then assembling, and flying.....

I just recently moved from Northern California to Southern California, and that pushed it even farther back on the list of things to do.;-)

WWI Ace
04-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Are you gonna paint it red Murph? Steve

Biplane Murphy
04-22-2008, 06:15 PM
That would be pretty ironic and funny, since I stripped all the red off and recovered it in white...:Q

But Marty would be pleased with another red tripe in the world...;-)

WWI Ace
04-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I knew that it was red before Murph. I was just acting stupid!! Or WAS I acting? HMMMMMM!!! More than anything I was trying to get Marty going!! Steve

Biplane Murphy
04-23-2008, 02:19 AM
I knew that it was red before Murph. I was just acting stupid!! Or WAS I acting? HMMMMMM!!! More than anything I was trying to get Marty going!! Steve

Well....how about Pink Polka Dots?.....Marty would love that!!

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHA

WWI Ace
04-23-2008, 06:02 PM
CCCCCCOOOOOLLLLL!!!! Steve

7car7
05-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Just found this thread, and read every single post. You guys are great! Fun read.

You know, looking at this plane without the covering on, I'd think there's LOT's of room for making that rear end lighter. I think if it was mine, I'd be loosing a lot of that material. I know you already covered it, but now that I see you haven't painted yet...

I've never had a "radial" model, but I love them. Seems they all have one thing in common, being tail heavy.

I do hope you find the time soon for your plane, I love your paint scheme, will be great to see it.

Biplane Murphy
05-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Just found this thread, and read every single post. You guys are great! Fun read.

You know, looking at this plane without the covering on, I'd think there's LOT's of room for making that rear end lighter. I think if it was mine, I'd be loosing a lot of that material. I know you already covered it, but now that I see you haven't painted yet...

I've never had a "radial" model, but I love them. Seems they all have one thing in common, being tail heavy.

I do hope you find the time soon for your plane, I love your paint scheme, will be great to see it.

I hope to have time (or energy) to finish this one soon too!!!

It's funny.....carefully stripping the factory covering was more time consuming than re-covering it with the white...

I have been seriously lagging on it.....and I have everything here to paint her and put her together.;-)

Bub Steve
05-07-2008, 02:15 AM
I hope to have time (or energy) to finish this one soon too!!!

It's funny.....carefully stripping the factory covering was more time consuming than re-covering it with the white...

I have been seriously lagging on it.....and I have everything here to paint her and put her together.;-)MurphyBub:: Preps the hardest part!! Bub steve

Biplane Murphy
05-07-2008, 02:38 AM
OK.....I just got her out, and all the paint etc.....had to do a lot of dusting since she has been sitting for months!!

Here's the color scheme again....

It looks like the bottom 2 wings are "sky blue" underneath, and the wing between the wheels...also the fuse from the black and white stripes forward...

I think I need to out the scheme with a fine point sharpie and just go for it....

Might do the underside of the wings tonight though.....maybe.

Biplane Murphy
05-08-2008, 04:35 AM
After hours of searching google....I found these photos of someone else's model...

Now I am too tired to start painting, so tomorrow evening the painting begins.:)

WWI Ace
05-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Paint it like that one and call it good Murph!! Steve

scalercflyer
05-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Gee I wonder where you got that camo scheme (LOL). :eek::D Looks great Murph. Pics please. :) Martin PS I'll call soon!

scalercflyer
05-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Well Boys, I finally got my order from United hobbies/hobby city. :D Very nice servos (5 of the 5 gram and 5 of the 9 gram) and the price was right ($3 + dollars each)! :) Also got 2 BL motors. It's interesting to compare them to the other motors I have. Seems they are identical! Hmmm... makes me think there are so just so many (a few?) factories making them. I can tell you the other identical motors I have cost me double what I paid at hobby city. :( What do you Guys think? I am right? On another subject, I started riding the train to work and stopped driving my car except for weekends and evenings. I was putting 80 miles a day on the car. Since gas prices have gone through the roof (not to mention food prices), it's become a very viable alternative. Have only put approx 50 miles on it in 2 weeks! Thank God we have this wonderful hobby and such good Friends to help us keep our sanity! It makes it all worth it! Martin

WWI Ace
05-11-2008, 06:51 PM
I wish I had a train to take to work!! Steve

scalercflyer
05-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Steve, Murph, I heard you guys are riding the gravy train! :eek::D martin

WWI Ace
05-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Hey do any of you guys have any standard size servos for sale? I need four of them. Let me know what you want for them if you have 'em!! Steve

Bub Steve
05-12-2008, 01:19 AM
Hey do any of you guys have any standard size servos for sale? I need four of them. Let me know what you want for them if you have 'em!! Steve
Steve:I got four of these ,bub, steve

WWI Ace
05-12-2008, 06:02 PM
My plan is to build a cheap electric .40 size trainer for our club. Steve

WWI Ace
05-12-2008, 11:33 PM
I don't want you to have to dissect your sailplane Steve!! I just meant if you guys had any lying around that you aren't using. Steve

Bub Steve
05-13-2008, 02:55 AM
I don't want you to have to dissect your sailplane Steve!! I just meant if you guys had any lying around that you aren't using. Steve
Steve:I was think'in bout down-size'in the servos on her Your bub, steve

Biplane Murphy
05-14-2008, 01:57 AM
OK....Painting has begun.....The bottom of the 2 lower wings....part of the bottom of the fuselage, and the battery hatch.:)

Biplane Murphy
05-14-2008, 02:08 AM
Here's the Plotted scheme for the stripes etc...on the Fuselage.:)

All paint is going to be hand brushed....and is either Rust-Olium or Krylon.....

Biplane Murphy
05-14-2008, 04:38 AM
OK.....I started the stripes and crosses on the fuselage....Did the top and left side so far....:)

Grasshopper
05-14-2008, 04:39 AM
That's going to look sweet Chris!

Biplane Murphy
05-14-2008, 04:42 AM
That's going to look sweet Chris!

Thanks Tom..:)

It won't be perfectly scale for the scheme, but close enough for me to be happy.

My "Scale" Pilot will be 1/2 of a Darth Vader Action Figure.....My Gal bought it for me a couple months ago...HAHHAHAAHA

Just don't look to close at the paintwork...LOL...I am no master painter, that's for darn sure...:Q

hillbille
05-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Better burn the midnight oil - I have it on pretty good authority that the wind died...and fair flying weather starts tomorrow morning!!!

Hillbille

Biplane Murphy
05-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Better burn the midnight oil - I have it on pretty good authority that the wind died...and fair flying weather starts tomorrow morning!!!

Hillbille

Sweet!!!...........I have been waiting so very long for some good flying weather, and I am absolutely positive you have been too!!;-)

hillbille
05-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Sweet!!!...........I have been waiting so very long for some good flying weather, and I am absolutely positive you have been too!!;-)

Yep the songs always refer to the "rain" in Southern California and they never say that the reason it don't rain here is that the wind blows it EAST very hard!! LOL!! It ain't OVER yet but it is gonna fall down a lot!! A little breeze lets 'em hang and go low and slow - really slow!!

Hillbille :D

WWI Ace
05-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Don't worry about perfect Murph!! The real planes were usually painted in the field anyway!! Steve

Biplane Murphy
05-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Don't worry about perfect Murph!! The real planes were usually painted in the field anyway!! Steve

Perhaps I should go in the field out back and paint it out there for a more "Scale" painting location?....:Q:D:Q:D:Q

Cookie
05-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Yah and they painted them with paint brushes back in them days. They didn't bother to mask and spray. Probably didn't have any One Day shops back then.:)

Biplane Murphy
05-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Yah and they painted them with paint brushes back in them days. They didn't bother to mask and spray. Probably didn't have any One Day shops back then.:)

LOL....I was going to airbrush it, but decided it would be a real pain.....so I suppose I am going with the "Scale" painting technique of using paintbrushes..:D:D:D:Q:Q:Q:D:D:D

It's getting more and more "Scale" all the time..;-)

Cookie
05-14-2008, 09:36 PM
I just recently airbrushed my GWS P40 and with two airbrushes, they're a real pain to get to work right. Either the paint is too thick or too thinned out, or the nozzle gets clogged up, or it sprays too wet or too dry. Too bad they don't make a good aerosol spray paint that won't attack foam. Krylon quit making the water base spray cans. Too much sputter is what I was told at Home Depot.

Biplane Murphy
05-14-2008, 09:44 PM
I have 4 airbrushes and a compressor....but you are right....airbrushing is a huge pain.....I am painting over monocote, so enamel is perfect, but I thought all that masking and taping would be a pain too.....
I put off painting this one for at least 6 months, so I figured the only way I would ever get to it was to use paintbrushes...

Grasshopper
05-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Is it done yet?:D

Lieutenant Loughead
05-14-2008, 09:53 PM
I tried several "dual action", internally mixed airbrushes, before finally going with a VERY inexpensive single-action, externally mixed airbrush... I was amazed to see the VERY inexpensive ($10) single-action, externally mixed airbrush worked SO much better than the expensive ($100+) dual-action, internally mixed airbrushes.

If you haven't given a "single action", externally mixed airbrush a try, please do -- it's like painting with a can of spray paint -- no problems. :cool:

Biplane Murphy
05-14-2008, 10:29 PM
I tried several "dual action", internally mixed airbrushes, before finally going with a VERY inexpensive single-action, externally mixed airbrush... I was amazed to see the VERY inexpensive ($10) single-action, externally mixed airbrush worked SO much better than the expensive ($100+) dual-action, internally mixed airbrushes.

If you haven't given a "single action", externally mixed airbrush a try, please do -- it's like painting with a can of spray paint -- no problems. :cool:

I have 2 internal mix dual action airbrushes (1 expensive, 1 inexpensive) and 2 external mix single action airbrushes (1 expensive and 1 inexpensive)

All the thinning of paint and masking of stripes etc.... is what I was not looking forward too.

Grasshopper
05-14-2008, 10:30 PM
You guys can send me your expensive dual action internal mix brushes and I promise to put them to good use.:D

Biplane Murphy
05-14-2008, 10:33 PM
You guys can send me your expensive dual action internal mix brushes and I promise to put them to good use.:D

LOL....I think I will get some use out of them...just not on this project...:D:Q:D

WWI Ace
05-14-2008, 11:26 PM
You know that you can use SOME spray paints on foam. You just have to use a test piece and hold the can far enough away to just get the paint on the foam and not the propellent. Steve

Cookie
05-15-2008, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't trust any spray can paint if it's not water base or made specifically for foam models like Formula-U which is getting harder and harder to find. Some of these aerosol spray paints don't have an adverse effect on foam until they start to dry, then all of a sudden Oh Oh!!:{

Geoffrito
05-15-2008, 03:05 AM
i have a Testors Aztek dual-action airbrush. Works like a charm, except all my nozzles are shot now. whoops.

degreen60
05-15-2008, 05:08 AM
I don't mask and paint anymore. I print on tissue paper and glue on the plane. If I need to cover something that will show through the tissue paper I print on white paper and glue on the plane.

Biplane Murphy
05-15-2008, 08:24 AM
More painting after dinner...:)

I sanded the cowl then painted it black.

Painted the cockpit brown.

Painted the motor compartment and as much of the "innards" as I could reach Black.....(I figured that it would look nicer if no balsa showed through the engine area. Plus it is so windy here all the time, I figured any extra weight might help a bit.:))

I will paint the bottom and right side fuselage stripes tomorrow hopefully.:)

Lieutenant Loughead
05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't mask and paint anymore. I print on tissue paper and glue on the plane. If I need to cover something that will show through the tissue paper I print on white paper and glue on the plane.How do you print on tissue paper?! :confused:

degreen60
05-15-2008, 03:37 PM
How do you print on tissue paper?! :confused:

I put about a 1/4 inch of stick glue right at the edge of a sheet of paper. Only need to do 3 edges. Then lay the tissue paper on top on the paper and trim same size as the paper. It will now feed through a printer. Do all the printing inside the glue strips.

Lieutenant Loughead
05-15-2008, 03:40 PM
I put about a 1/4 inch of stick glue right at the edge of a sheet of paper. Only need to do 3 edges. Then lay the tissue paper on top on the paper and trim same size as the paper. It will now feed through a printer. Do all the printing inside the glue strips.Nice!

WWI Ace
05-15-2008, 11:18 PM
That Degreen is smart!! Steve

degreen60
05-16-2008, 12:35 AM
That Degreen is smart!! Steve

Naw, I am just too lazy to mask and paint.

Biplane Murphy
05-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Naw, I am just too lazy to mask and paint.

LOL...I feel that....believe me...

scalercflyer
05-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Murph, don't listen to that crazy Texican! :eek: Next thing you know you'll be using phrases like: all Ya'll, fixin to do something, etc. Then you'll be doing things like bull riding! :eek: Scares the heck out'a me that's for sure! :eek: Then he'll tell you to put some sissy colors on your tripe. :eek:::o Next thing you know, you'll be putting some pink ruffles around the cockpit opening and a lavender scarf around your neck when you show up at the flying field! ::o:o Heaven only knows what could be next!! :eek::D Martin

WWI Ace
05-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Pink is the new black ya know!! Ha ha!! Steve

FlyingMonkey
05-19-2008, 02:06 AM
Next thing you know, you'll be putting some pink ruffles around the cockpit opening and a lavender scarf around your neck when you show up at the flying field! ::o:o Heaven only knows what could be next!! :eek::D Martin

You think that's what the guys at the field were laughing at?

Biplane Murphy
05-19-2008, 03:55 AM
You think that's what the guys at the field were laughing at?

Well...Tell us why they were laughing at you?:Q

I haven't joined the club here yet......My fying field right now is the backyard.:)
Perfect for electric planes, but I can't fly my bigger glow fuel planes here, so I will have to join the local club at some point.....And you can bet there will be no purple scarfs or ruffled cockpits....LOL

FlyingMonkey
05-19-2008, 04:10 AM
well, it IS southern California...

Biplane Murphy
05-19-2008, 04:13 AM
well, it IS southern California...

LOL....You must be confused......San Francisco is in the North...

WWI Ace
05-20-2008, 12:01 AM
How's it coming along Murph? Steve

Biplane Murphy
05-20-2008, 12:21 AM
I am going to paint more tonight....Stripes on right and bottom of Fuselage......Girlfriend and Kids are keeping me quite busy.....So progress is slow.....When I was a bachelor, I had much more time to build planes.....

WWI Ace
05-20-2008, 12:23 AM
I know what ya mean!! Women, can't live with 'em!! Can't live without 'em!!! Steve

Biplane Murphy
05-20-2008, 12:25 AM
I know what ya mean!! Women, can't live with 'em!! Can't live without 'em!!! Steve

LOL...She has to work tonight, so it's just me and the kids....I am going to definately take the opportunity to paint more on the tripe.:)

Tomorrow I get the pleasure of driving her brother to a hospital in Los Angeles....about 1 1/2 hours each way.....Oh such Joy....:roll:

degreen60
05-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Does DR1 mean "do red one" ?

Biplane Murphy
05-20-2008, 12:50 AM

LOL....Not on my DR1.....I painstakingly removed all that obnoxious red monocote.....And I don't plan on adding any red back onto her....;-)

Shaking up the can of black right now....got the brushes ready.....painting shall begin in a little bit....:)

barmonkey
05-20-2008, 01:07 AM

Good one Don!

Biplane Murphy
05-20-2008, 05:18 AM
Tonight's painting.....Right side and Bottom of Fuselage Stripes and Cross....:)

FlyingMonkey
05-20-2008, 11:57 AM
That's looking great Murph, except your camera must not be working right, the colors looked off, so I corrected it...

Biplane Murphy
05-20-2008, 01:37 PM
That's looking great Murph, except your camera must not be working right, the colors looked off, so I corrected it...

LOL......That actually looks pretty good....maybe I should have gone with the little known "Monkey von Richtoven" Color Scheme...:)

WWI Ace
05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
You guys are gonna tick Martin off!!! Steve

FlyingMonkey
05-21-2008, 04:09 AM
tick off who? ;)

hillbille
05-21-2008, 12:29 PM
One thing for sure - with the high wind warnings we have been having the last few days One is on until 9pm tonight!!) Chris you should have no problems with the taping - it's all that dust from the desert that'll mess up the fine paint!! Make ya "see" red even when it really isn't!! LOL!!

Hillbille

WWI Ace
05-21-2008, 06:12 PM
I was talking about ticking off Scalercflyer. He hates red airplanes!! Steve

degreen60
05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
A DR1 in the gun site of my Camel makes me see red too, or it that just my rose colored glasses. LOL

Biplane Murphy
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
One thing for sure - with the high wind warnings we have been having the last few days One is on until 9pm tonight!!) Chris you should have no problems with the taping - it's all that dust from the desert that'll mess up the fine paint!! Make ya "see" red even when it really isn't!! LOL!!

Hillbille

It has been incredibly windy here all last night and today....At least it isn't 105 degrees though...:rolleyes:

I was thinking of trying a test run, on some spare monocoat, of the streaked camo today...:)

WWI Ace
05-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Nothing but wind here too!! Steve

scalercflyer
05-22-2008, 12:49 AM
It's windy "up here" too. :sad: I had planned to go to the club's funfly on Sunday, but by the time I got out of church, it was blowing 20-30mph! :mad: Gotta wait for better weather. ;) What a bummer! Martin

Biplane Murphy
05-22-2008, 01:22 AM
OK Guys......I took the opportunity to mix green, yellow and black to get a suitable shade of olive for the tripe....that took alot of patience and testing....

Then I tried some different techniques of painting streaked camo on scraps of monocote to come up with a method to apply the paint....

Here's what I came up with....I hope you guys like it....:)

degreen60
05-22-2008, 02:26 AM
My painting looks like that without me trying. LOL Wind dropped tonigh just as the sun set. I took the Sopwith Tripe out for a flight. Did not find any red planes in the air.

Biplane Murphy
05-22-2008, 02:53 AM
Well......if you paint like that without trying, I should have mailed it to you for it's color scheme application....It takes me a long time to do much of anything in the painting department...LOL

degreen60
05-22-2008, 04:06 AM
But I am not trying to paint that way. Bet if I tried it would come out one smooth color. LOL. My Camel had green on the under side of the wings. I painted it brown and it came out streaked, I left it that way thought it looked like brushed painted.

Biplane Murphy
05-22-2008, 04:14 AM
I found the streaked camo to not be an easy effect to produce.......but it will hopefully be easier when I paint the top of the 2 lower wings....perhaps tomorrow....

WWI Ace
05-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Looks good Murph!! No you didn't see any red planes Degreen as the wind was still strong on my side of the lines!! Steve

Biplane Murphy
05-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Yep.....The wind has my squadron grounded....although today it is raining a little with less wind...

7car7
05-22-2008, 06:13 PM
I like it! coming out great.

Biplane Murphy
05-22-2008, 06:19 PM
I like it! coming out great.

Thank You for the nice words....Hopefully I will have time to do some painting on the 2 lower wings today or tomorrow....:)

degreen60
05-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Weather is really nice for flying today. Had most of the hanger in the air. Got the MS-L trimed and flying finally.

WWI Ace
05-22-2008, 11:12 PM
We're under a tornado watch again!! Steve

Biplane Murphy
05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
We're under a tornado watch again!! Steve

Dang.....Hope you are safely inside.....

WWI Ace
05-23-2008, 01:53 AM
This is normal for this part of the world. May through July is the peak times for tornadoes. I've lived with it all my life except for my Army years (no tornadoes in Korea and Japan). Steve

Biplane Murphy
05-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Well hopefully you don't get wisked off to OZ and meet the wizard....

Well....I painted the top of the lower wing this afternoon....while helping 2 of the kids with their big school reports...I think it matches the fuselage well...

Here's the photos...

degreen60
05-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Here's the photos...

Looks good. Glad it has those white strips so my Camel can find it.

FlyingMonkey
05-23-2008, 01:23 PM
hey murph...

you need to give it a coat of matte medium when you're done, it will make it look like cloth

WWI Ace
05-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Looking real good Murph!! It'll look great when it's finished. Steve

Biplane Murphy
05-23-2008, 07:22 PM
hey murph...

you need to give it a coat of matte medium when you're done, it will make it look like cloth

I was thinking that I might do that.:)

WWI Ace
05-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Flew my little green Fokker tripe this morning. It amazes me how well this plane flies for being only a 23" wingspan!! Steve

Cookie
05-24-2008, 05:18 PM
WW1 Ace, what little green tripe have you got that is only 23" wingspan? I just started on a Comet Superstars Dr1 with a 27 1/2" wingspan. Maybe I can use some of your techniques to make this one flyable.

WWI Ace
05-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Cookie it is the one that is on my avatar. It is a short kit from www.aerodromerc.com (http://www.aerodromerc.com) that I bought while the kit was still a prototype. It costs $49 plus shipping and is laser cut. It is full function with pull pull ailerons and rudder, pushrod elevator. I used 3- 4.3 gram servos from Hobbycity, 10amp ESC from Castle Creations, GWS IPS gearbox with Feigio brushless motor, Thunder Power 11.1v 730mah lipoly, and an AR6000 reciever bound to my Spektrum DX6 radio. The strings for the pull pull ailerons run through the top wing down into the fuselage and connect to the servo kinda like the real tripe controls were run. It flies very well and doesn't know how little it is. There are pics of it in the WWI planes thread. I think there are even some pics in the gallery on this site. Steve

Cookie
05-24-2008, 06:33 PM
WWI Ace, thanks for the info. Ah laser cut. Much better than die crunched. I'll check out their website. Thanks again. Cookie

WWI Ace
05-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Glad I could help Cookie!! Aerodrome makes a small Sopwith tripe too if you'd rather have that. It's ALOT easier to use a kit that is already designed for RC. I think they have a small Se5a and Albatros also. If you need anything else let me know. Steve

Cookie
05-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks Steve. I take it that the short kit is ribs only and you buy your own stringers and sheet balsa. Gene

Biplane Murphy
05-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks Steve. I take it that the short kit is ribs only and you buy your own stringers and sheet balsa. Gene

Ribs and formers etc.....Yes you do have to buy sticks and sheets and also pushrods and hardware etc....

Cookie
05-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks Murphy.

degreen60
05-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Flew my little green Fokker tripe this morning. It amazes me how well this plane flies for being only a 23" wingspan!! Steve

I am glad to hear a 23" span DR1 flys well. I have the Sterling plans for thier 1"=1' DR1 and it has a wing span of 23 1/2". I thought I would use them to cut foam to make a DR1.

Cookie
05-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, I'm going to try the Comet SuperStars Dr1 and try to build it as light as possible by eliminating some of the heavy/thick balsa with lighter material. These things are an old design and they didn't consider R/C conversion back then. Dremmel tool and lightening holes.

scalercflyer
05-25-2008, 04:59 AM
Guys, I have 2 Comet kits, an Albatros DVa and an SE5a (approx 24" WS). :D I was thinking about converting them to RC. :rolleyes: Just so happens I have some 5 gram servos from Hobby City looking for a home. :) Ahhh the possibilities..... :D:D Martin

WWI Ace
05-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Put that SE5a together Martin so my little tripe can shoot it down!!! Steve

WWI Ace
05-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Here is a picture of my little one Cookie. Did you order a kit yet? Steve

Cookie
05-25-2008, 04:35 PM
WWI Ace, not yet. Still working on the Comet tripe that I just started on. I'm going to give it a try and if it turns out to be a dog, I'll order one of those short kits.

WWI Ace
05-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Sounds like a plan Cookie!! Remember to build light and try to keep all of your weight as far forward as possible. These planes get tail heavy very easily!! Steve

degreen60
05-26-2008, 03:22 AM
Do you a picture of the pull-pull ailerons? Just how is that set up with only a 23" span?

Cookie
05-26-2008, 03:55 AM
WWI Ace, I got the fuselage bulkheads all glued to the main spines (dorsa stringer and belly stringer) then I went and ground and cut out all of the balsa wood that was unnecessary out of the bulkheads. I left the "firewall bulkhead" solid to make sure I didn't lighten the nose too much then have to add weight later. This kit was made in 1973 and I can really see the difference between then and now. The stringer slots are either too wide or too tight so I have to Zap the stingers in place then build up behind them with a little Zap and baking soda to make the joints solid. The new laser kits are sooooooo much better. It's really a kind of "funky" design. They used criss cross "ribs" instead of the normal front to back (leading edge to trailing edge) type ribs, which means I'll have to use an opaque covering so that they can't be seen.

WWI Ace
05-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't have a picture of the aileron pull pull setup Degreen but I'll try to explain it. The servo is in the fuselage. The strings run from the ailerons through small metal eye bolts (bought from a Hobby Lobby craft store). The wing ribs have holes for the strings to pass through. Then at the center of the top wing each string runs through an eye bolt and turns down 90 degrees. They each run through two holes I drilled in the top of the fuselage on the outside of each machine gun. Then they each pass through another set of eyebolts to the servo which is standing on its end so the servo horn lines up straight with the strings. All the pull pull setups on the rudder and ailerons are Dubro Micro Pull Pull Systems. You crimp the string ends to a cotter pin which passes through an EZ Connector. You move the cotter pin through the EZ Connector to get adjustment and tension correct and then tighten the EZ Connectors screw on the cotter pin to lock it all down. Very neat little setup. Even comes with little aluminum sleeves to crimp over your control cable loops!! Steve

WWI Ace
05-26-2008, 02:38 PM
If you can Cookie please post some pics of your build!! Also be VERY careful when you put the electronics in it!! These little planes don't have much space and are fragile. I put ALL my electronics in and tested Everything and Then covered the plane. Steve

Cookie
05-26-2008, 11:50 PM
WWI Ace, here are some pictures of the framed up fuselage. Notice that there are no stringers going from the back bulkhead to the tail. Nothing noted in the instructions and nothing shown on the plans. I guess you have to do things yourself if you want it done right. I'll add the stringers while I install the tail assembly. I cut out the middle sections of most of the solid bulkheads except the "firewall" bulkhead.

Biplane Murphy
05-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Cookie.....my GP DR1 arf is sheeted in that tail section....with lightening holes...

Cookie
05-27-2008, 02:19 AM
Hmmmm......That would make a lot stronger support for the elevator and rudder, wouldn't it?

WWI Ace
05-27-2008, 02:41 AM
Yeah Cookie just remember the weight issue!! The lighter you make it the lower the wing loading and the better it will fly. Don't ever build heavy to crash. Build light to fly well!! The fuselage is looking great though!!! Keep me posted!! Steve

Cookie
05-27-2008, 04:13 AM
WWI Ace, I'll probably just run a couple of stringers on each side to have something for the covering to attach to. One on the top edge and one on the bottom edge.

WWI Ace
05-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Sounds good Cookie!! Murph!! You got that DR1 together yet? I GOTTA SEE A PIC OF THAT!! Steve

Biplane Murphy
05-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Sounds good Cookie!! Murph!! You got that DR1 together yet? I GOTTA SEE A PIC OF THAT!! Steve

I wish!!

I am still painting parts a little at a time......my Gal and the kids seem to keep me fairly busy....not alot of time or energy for painting.....probably do the top of the middle wing in the next couple days.:)

Cookie
05-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Murph, enjoy the gal and kids while you can. Once they're married and moved out and you're retired, you'll have all the time in the world to build models. I know this because I'm there now. I've built so many planes that I'm running out of room to store them. I was in the same position before the kids grew up. Little League Coaching, Boy Scouts, Girl's Flag Team competitions, and then work. "Where's Dad?" "Go look in the garage. He's probably covered in balsa wood dust".:D

Biplane Murphy
05-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Murph, enjoy the gal and kids while you can. Once they're married and moved out and you're retired, you'll have all the time in the world to build models. I know this because I'm there now. I've built so many planes that I'm running out of room to store them. I was in the same position before the kids grew up. Little League Coaching, Boy Scouts, Girl's Flag Team competitions, and then work. "Where's Dad?" "Go look in the garage. He's probably covered in balsa wood dust".:D

It would be so very nice to be covered in Balsa Dust right about now....:)

WWI Ace
05-30-2008, 11:23 PM
My oldest graduates tomorrow!! I have two more boys to go. Good boys but a real pain in the rear end sometimes. I bought a 40 sized Tower Hobbies trainer put a glow engine in that someone gave to me. It only cost $65 so I'll use it as my windy day airplane!! But now I have to put up with the "slimer" guys and that oily nasty fuel!!! Who knows, maybe I can talk the 9 year old into trying to fly it. Steve

Detroit Dave
06-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Did someone say DR-I???
Here is something on Fleabay that might catch your attention.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170223672273&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007
You can also find it here, but the electric version isn't even mentioned. I have to think that the two planes are actually one and the same.http://www.flyboymodels.com/servlet/Detail?no=50
I saw this plane at the Toledo show being sold as a slimer and had to have one. I gave $253.00 for it, shipped to the house. They said it was a show special on the price I got, and looking at the web page I see they are right.
I will probably build is as a slimer because I have an OS 1.20 pumper sitting that has been looking for a plane for a long time. I have too many other projects going first, so for now it'll sit in the box.

degreen60
06-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Did someone say DR-I???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170223672273&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007
You can also find it here, but the electric version isn't even mentioned. I have to think that the two planes are actually one and the same.http://www.flyboymodels.com/servlet/Detail?no=50
I saw this plane at the Toledo show being sold as a slimer and had to have one. I gave $253.00 for it, shipped to the house. They said it was a show special on the price I got, and looking at the web page I see they are right.
I will probably build is as a slimer because I have an OS 1.20 pumper sitting that has been looking for a plane for a long time. I have too many other projects going first, so for now it'll sit in the box.

Not the same plane. Check the wing span, one is 30 inches and the other one is 60 inches.

degreen60
06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Did someone say DR-I???

Has anyone bought one of these planes? I am wondering if it is a nice plane to buy.

degreen60
06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Did someone say DR-I???

Here is the plane being sold on ebay. http://www.flyboymodels.com/servlet/Detail?no=44

WWI Ace
06-03-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm waiting for Murphs tripe to get finished so we can go hunt Degreens Camels!!! Steve

Biplane Murphy
06-04-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm waiting for Murphs tripe to get finished so we can go hunt Degreens Camels!!! Steve

LOL....I wish I was working on it now, but I am being a midwife for one of my English Springer Spaniels that is giving Birth right now.....3 pups so far, probably 5 or more still to go.:)