PDA

View Full Version : Eflite SE5a vs Great Planes SE5a

fresbill
01-07-2008, 02:38 PM
My question concerns flying the 2 aircraft.

Is the Eflite SE5a intended "more" for indoor flying, and the Great Planes SE5a for outdoor flying?

It seems like the foamie Eflite SE5a would not handle "a bit" of wind as well as the GP SE5a would when it comes to outdoor flying.

My flying will be outdoors in low wind conditions, but you never know when a gust will get ya.

Bottom line I want the one that is the best for outdoor flying.

Thanks,

Bill

guest001
01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I own the GP model and have never seen or flown the E-Flite model so weigh my opinion accordingly: the GP is a gentle, beautiful airplane in all respects and can handle winds up to 10 knots easily. Beyond 10 knots, it's just no longer fun.

aviatordave
01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I'd go with the Great planes for outdoor flying. I have the eflite s5a, it flies great with no wind, but its still on the fragile side and any little gust of unexpected wind will throw it around.

fresbill
01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank you Dave M & Avaitor Dave.
Nice of you guys to respond.

Dave M, your discription of the GP SE5a's flying characteristics has me sold.
Gentle is very good.

Av. Dave, nice thread on the Eflite SE5a.
Thanks for the heads up on flying it in the wind.

Bill

Twmaster
01-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Well I just got back from my LHS with a GP SE5a. To me the E-Flite was not awful but did not look as nice. Seemed too fragile also. I did not like the wire landing gear or the 'glue your motor to' stick mount.

So the GP came home with me this time.

I'd say the EF plane is OK for the price of $49.99 though. Just not as detailed as I would like.

Bub Steve
01-13-2008, 02:00 AM
Twmaster:Mine was a Monday-morn'in plane as it was horribly built an had a lot of missed glue joints ( one was a wing spar!) I rebuild her and changed the fire-wall, shes one of my favorite planes now but I'd NEVER buy another, There some good ones out there (I've seen um posted) just look her over REAL GOOD BEFORE YOU BUY!!your bub, steve

Twmaster
01-13-2008, 05:04 AM
I'm just about finished assembly and to be honest I am not very impressed. Typical (not so) Great Planes fare. Once the wood glue dries I'll put the struts and control rods on the wings and she'll be ready for a maiden.

guest001
01-13-2008, 05:05 AM
It's a beautiful, gentle flyer-you'll love it.

Twmaster
01-13-2008, 05:17 AM
I hope so Dave. I love the SE5a (in fact the only WW1 bird I even remotely like) so I am going to be quite the angry large man if this is yet another GP turkey.

Bub Steve
01-13-2008, 05:41 AM
Twmaster::I'm the only one so far I've seen that had these prob's, And by rebuild'in her I'm sure of what I've got, skid tails are a trip and made for some interesting & squrilly take-offs! your bub, steve

guest001
01-13-2008, 04:14 PM
I hope so Dave. I love the SE5a (in fact the only WW1 bird I even remotely like) so I am going to be quite the angry large man if this is yet another GP turkey.

Ouch-I should have kept my mouth shut!

You don't know where I live, do you?

If you really like this model from GP, try the DR-1: you will absolutely love that one! (it's a joke-I'll sell you one, cheap!)

Your other Bub.

Twmaster
01-13-2008, 04:58 PM
If it flies well I'll be able to forgive the things I find totally retarded with this bird.

So you are safe for now Dave. ;)

guest001
01-13-2008, 07:29 PM
It's the large man thing that scares me: last week, I took a bad beating in a dark alley from an ugly woman over an AR 6100! I just saw a Lanier S.E. 5 fly-well, sort of-it's not a contest-the GP is THE airframe for flight though the Lanier is far more scale.

fresbill
01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
If it flies well I'll be able to forgive the things I find totally retarded with this bird.

So you are safe for now Dave. ;)

Twmaster,

Anything you want to throw out there in the way of pros & cons would be a help.

You too Dave.

Always nice to hear these things before you buy.
I still haven't made up my mind between the 3...Lanier, GP, & E-Flite.

I'm flying the GP on G4...easy enough on the sim, but that's not real life.

I'm a beginner so the E-Flite might be the ticket if there's no wind.
I like the idea of using the foam ca for easy repairs.
Then move up to either the GP or Lanier after I'm more comfortable.
They look a bit harder to repair.

Unlike Twmaster, biplanes WW1 and other wise are my favorite planes, so I'm hooked, and they're all I want to fly at the moment.

guest001
01-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Here is my bias: (1) balsa is beautiful and can be rather easy to repair (but good ole GP will sell you replacement wings, etc., though buying the whole kit is more "efficient." and (2) though more scale, the Lainer appears to have a very tough CG to find! I'd still vote for the GP though this may cost me a beating in a dark alley!

Oh, did I mention that the DR-1, though fairly easy to fly is a ..... to land!

fresbill
01-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Here is my bias: (1) balsa is beautiful and can be rather easy to repair (but good ole GP will sell you replacement wings, etc., though buying the whole kit is more "efficient." and (2) though more scale, the Lainer appears to have a very tough CG to find! I'd still vote for the GP though this may cost me a beating in a dark alley!

Oh, did I mention that the DR-1, though fairly easy to fly is a ..... to land!

Good points, GP does have the parts (I was looking at Tower), and if stand off scale flys better that scale, then that's the way to go, as I don't want to fight the plane to keep it flying.
I think the GP could be tricked out a bit to look pretty nice.
Also I'm flying that one on the sim.

I've been following the Lanier SE5a thread with great interest.
From that thread...
the a/c is beautiful and the roll rate higher than the GP.
What's roll rate?
I didn't want to put another Duh on that thread, so thought I'd bring it here instead.

BTW, your comments are safe w/ me cuz most girls can beat me up.

guest001
01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Good points, GP does have the parts (I was looking at Tower), and if stand off scale flys better that scale, then that's the way to go, as I don't want to fight the plane to keep it flying.
I think the GP could be tricked out a bit to look pretty nice.
Also I'm flying that one on the sim.

I've been following the Lanier SE5a thread with great interest.
From that thread...
the a/c is beautiful and the roll rate higher than the GP.
What's roll rate?
I didn't want to put another Duh on that thread, so thought I'd bring it here instead.

BTW, your comments are safe w/ me cuz most girls can beat me up.

Roll rate refers to the speed or rapidity with which the a/c can carry out or execute a rolling or spiral maneuver-my GP rolls quite well for a bipe, but the Lanier "appeared" (subjectively) to roll faster (does it have more aileron surface?).

That my friend has withheld his judgment on the Lanier tells me a lot-he was delighted with the GP (which he passed on to another fellow) and seems ambivalent about the Lanier at this time (who knows, if he nails the CG it may change everything!).

Hm, I think I'll avoid dark alleys for a while, yet!

boomerace
01-15-2008, 01:39 AM
I can not yet report on the flight as the weather is too horible for a maiden and my indoor site has too limited ceiling height for any thing but a micro. But I expect it to fly like the Jenny (see my flight vids on the website... www.boomerseflight.com (http://www.boomerseflight.com)) Here is the plane with mods added for LG, Fuse machine gun, cockpit detail, gun sight,etc. Wheels were made by cutting the rims off of the stock plastic wheels and CAing the shells to a MPI 2-1/2" wheel. See pics. Still waiting on the pilot on backorder from HL. There are also pics and video of my GP Se5a I recently sold on the website.
boomer

fresbill
01-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Boomerace, nicely done w/ your E-flite SE5a mods.

So what prompted you to sell your GP SE5a?

Best of luck on the maiden flight.

boomerace
01-15-2008, 05:04 AM
Boomerace, nicely done w/ your E-flite SE5a mods.

So what prompted you to sell your GP SE5a?

Best of luck on the maiden flight.
I sold off 1/2 my hangar of almost 40 planes to make room for new ones. It was either that or move the car out of the garage and Jackie (wife) declared that NOT an option!:D
boomer

fresbill
01-15-2008, 01:52 PM
I sold off 1/2 my hangar of almost 40 planes to make room for new ones. It was either that or move the car out of the garage and Jackie (wife) declared that NOT an option!:D
boomer

Yeah, my wife doesn't understand priorities either.

degreen60
01-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, my wife doesn't understand priorities either.

And it would be too hard to train a new one. HAHA

7car7
01-15-2008, 03:35 PM
I haven't flown either, but I'm currently building a GP SE5a. And I own a GWS Tiger Moth with a 350 brushed motor (which I bet is "similar" to the E.F.)

Since this was a comparason thread, I'm surprised that the most basic of all differences didn't seem to come up. The GP is a 4 channel plane, with ailerons, and the E.F is a 3 channel. I'd think for a beginner, the EF would be the way to go. If it's ANYTHING like my T.M., then it's a fun, stable plane for someone learning. But I know for a fact that Ailerons are a pain in the butt when it comes to trying to learn just the basics of flight.

The OP mentioned flying outdoors, and in wind. I think if I had the E.F., I'd put one size larger motor in it, to handle the wind. I'm only saying that because my T.M. takes the wind quite well with it's extra couple ounces and powerful motor.

boomerace
01-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Actually I have flown the Jenny in winds up to 10mph but I sure wouldn't recommend it for a new flyer. It has enough power to handle it with the 250 but it can get a little hairy! I have a 17T lens Brushless in my Tiger Moth and there is a video on my website of it flying in winds of 12mph with higher gusts and on landing a wind gust put it on its nose with no damage.
boomer

fresbill
01-15-2008, 10:24 PM
I haven't flown either, but I'm currently building a GP SE5a. And I own a GWS Tiger Moth with a 350 brushed motor (which I bet is "similar" to the E.F.)

Since this was a comparason thread, I'm surprised that the most basic of all differences didn't seem to come up. The GP is a 4 channel plane, with ailerons, and the E.F is a 3 channel. I'd think for a beginner, the EF would be the way to go. If it's ANYTHING like my T.M., then it's a fun, stable plane for someone learning. But I know for a fact that Ailerons are a pain in the butt when it comes to trying to learn just the basics of flight.

The OP mentioned flying outdoors, and in wind. I think if I had the E.F., I'd put one size larger motor in it, to handle the wind. I'm only saying that because my T.M. takes the wind quite well with it's extra couple ounces and powerful motor.

Yeah, the easiest planes to fly on the sim are 3 ch
Good info 7car7...thanks for contributing to post.

fresbill
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Actually I have flown the Jenny in winds up to 10mph but I sure wouldn't recommend it for a new flyer. It has enough power to handle it with the 250 but it can get a little hairy! I have a 17T lens Brushless in my Tiger Moth and there is a video on my website of it flying in winds of 12mph with higher gusts and on landing a wind gust put it on its nose with no damage.
boomer

Boomerace, how much wind do you think a beginner could handle flying the SE5a w/ 250?

boomerace
01-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Boomerace, how much wind do you think a beginner could handle flying the SE5a w/ 250?
I would say about 5mph but as important as wind speed is higher gusts. A 3mph wind with 6mph gusts is much harder for a new flyer to handle than a steady 6 or 7mph wind.
boomer

Bub Steve
01-16-2008, 12:13 AM

7car7 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=18874):: the roll rates and the speed are the main diff, The diff between the 350 brushed and what ever outie put on the Se5a will be great, I tamed the roll rates with a fairly simple mod ( see pixs), your gonna have a ball! your bub, steve your bub, steve

7car7
01-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Ah, you're talking about the extension on the aileron horn? Good idea!
I'm assuming you still have enough "power" with your aileron to correct a turn then?

Bub Steve
01-16-2008, 10:00 PM
7car7::You bet! she'll snap right over, your bub, steve

7car7
01-16-2008, 10:55 PM
7car7::You bet! she'll snap right over, your bub, steve

Have you measured your travel? I had a heck of a time getting the elevator travel down, but finally got it to 3/8".

(sorry, thread highjack!)

Bub Steve
01-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Have you measured your travel? I had a heck of a time getting the elevator travel down, but finally got it to 3/8".

(sorry, thread highjack!)I7car7:: don't measure much except to make sure my wingspans under 53 3/8" cause thats how wide my soccer mom truck is from door to door, but 3/8's to7/16's about right on mine, as for thread highjack'in your right on topic my bub,your bub, steve