PDA

View Full Version : What about!!??

Angler-Hi
06-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey guys. I'm sure this has been thought of before, but here goes: Why don't we do things like raffles or contests for prizes? We could buy raffle tickets with PayPal and use the money to help improve the site...not saying there's anything wrong with it...or even just to build an already strong comaraderie? Raffle prizes could be either donated by fellow Wattheads or bought new from the sale of the raffle tickets. Also, we could have "best paint scheme" contests and such. These are just a few ideas and not limited to.

I was even thinking about a "poor man's" boneyard. We have quite a few wattheads who aren't as financially able as others. I was thinking about a system in which wattheads could donate used or spare parts and such for those who may be a little low on funds at times. Of course this system would be run on the "integrity" of our members. It wouldn't be for those who just don't feel like paying for parts, but rather for those in need. I'm not the richest guy in the world, and I don't do what I do for the money...just ask max2112;-). But I'm willing to start this for our fellow "low budget" wattheads on my own if needed. I just wanted to know yall's thoughts. Just an idea guys. Thanks for listening.

Mike

Angler-Hi
06-15-2008, 04:13 AM
No one has any thoughts?

gfdengine204
06-15-2008, 04:19 AM
Mike,

Given this is Saturday for most of us, give this a day or two to be kicked around before you see any answers. Be patient. :)

Angler-Hi
06-15-2008, 02:07 PM
No problem Kev. I'm in no hurry. It was just a few thoughts running around in my brain.

Angler-Hi
07-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Well it's been two weeks and 107 views of this post. I honestly thought that there would be more folks with some kind of thought or opinion. It appears that I'm pretty much alone on this, so I'll get my own "poor man's boneyard" started myself. I will compile all the parts and what not, that I have lying around and search the forums for anyone who may be down on their luck and need a simple part or two to get something in the air.

If there's anyone out there who may be offended with this, feel free to post it here or PM me. This is a family forum and I won't degrade it's character. I'm not looking to anger or upset anyone. So, please PM or e-mail me if there's something you want to say that may violate good conduct. This is not a request, or me asking for permittion to do this...I'm simply stating that I'm gonna help out the little man (fellow wattheads). I'm just a little sad to see that no one has even responded. Good winds to all of you. Thanks for reading.

Mike

SkunkyMagoo
07-03-2008, 01:38 AM
We do, AP contest, vendor prizes :D:D:D

Angler-Hi
07-03-2008, 01:45 AM
We do, AP contest, vendor prizes :D:D:D

Thanks friend, I didn't realize that until after the first post. I knew there where AP contests, but didn't know there were prizes. I've read posts by some of our younger members who's funds are low (usually lack of a job), and parents that don't really take an interest in their child's interests. These members are my main targets...of course I would help ANY member who may be down on their luck...if it's in my power. Alot of these young kids who are starting to take interests in the R/C hobby are held back from a truly amazing experience and education! I just want to help.

SkunkyMagoo
07-03-2008, 01:47 AM
I am down for that my friend. I have a few things to get rid of...unfortunatly with everyone going lipo it has become hard to find a home for nimh chargers...

FlyWheel
07-03-2008, 02:43 AM
OK, I'll throw in my inflation adjusted 2% of a dollar. Somehopw, I don't think a raffle would work too good in this format. HOWEVER, the other idea, a "GoodWill For Under-privilaged Pilots", I like that one. In fact, it's already been done, I think.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35840

Murocflyer
07-03-2008, 03:17 AM
Mike has a good idea.

How about something like this. You have something you don't need anymore and you post it. Free of charge for anyone to get. All the person that wants it has to say they'll take it and pay for shipping. No "I want" posts allowed. If you got it and want to donate it, just post it. Of course there will have to be an additional forum created specifically for this in the WTB/FS area.

It might be hard to donate to "kids" because we don't know who the kids are unless we reference this thread (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18123). But that would be troublesome.

Good idea Mike. Trying to help folks out in this hobby is what makes it so great.

Frank

gfdengine204
07-03-2008, 03:23 AM
I think Mike and Frank may have come upon a good idea here. (I am speaking as a member here, not as WF staff) Kinda like a thing my wife belongs to in our area, called FreeCycle, where people post items they wish to get rid of, but don't necessarily want to toss in the trash.

I'll send this to Mike Parsons and see if it would be feasible without violating TOS.

CHELLIE
07-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Its great Idea, I have taken one youngster under my wing to help him out, I know how it is being young, and not having very much money for a hobby, and then there are some that are on a tight budjet, maybe retired or what ever, and there is not a lot of money left over for other things, So Count me in, after its all worked out, This is the first time I heard of this post, so it will take a little time to get the word out Mike, great Idea too, Take care, Chellie

Angler-Hi
07-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Thanks a million guys!! Like I said before, this would run on the mere INTEGRITY of our members. By that I mean, if someone has the financial capability to purchase their own parts, then that's what they should do. The true goal of this is to keep struggling people in the hobby of R/C flight. Of course, most of our members that fall into this category will be our young ones.

Kev, if you can give Mike a heads up on this idea, that would be so awesome friend!! I also like the idea of having a sub forum in the WTB/SELL forums. I want to thank EVERYONE of you guys/gals!! Thankyou.

Mike

Mike Parsons
07-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Message received and I do not see a problem with it.

Mike Parsons
07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Complete and ready for use.

Murocflyer
07-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks Mike that was fast! It seems to work just fine. I know I'll be putting more stuff up there for my fellow WF members.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212

Frank

Angler-Hi
07-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks so much Mike!! I'll take pics and post them in that forum when I get home tomorrow. I have staff duty, which is a 24 hour shift. Thanks again guys...and you too Chellie.

Mike