PDA

View Full Version : Things to do when your bored

jonloe
08-16-2008, 12:16 AM
what do you like to do whiled your bored?

for me i like to open up google earth, and look at air force bases. theres something cool about actually looking at a squadron of f22's sitting on the tarmac in langley or seeing a b2 bomber bieng prepped for take off at edwards air force base! i suggest everyone try it or just try google earth, its allways fun to explore the earth!

jon

EDIT: i was just looking at elmendorf airforce base in alaska, and it has the best quality ive seen! you can even read the USAF on the wing of a c-130! also you can see a very detailed f-15s! also at nellis air force base theres some pretty sweet desert and winter camo f 18s

firemanbill
08-16-2008, 12:31 AM
LOL I do that a lot also but not for Langley...

I can look at them from the bottom, side, whatever I want really!:Q

Bub Steve
08-16-2008, 12:36 AM
I go to the Monkey-Cage a slap some bub's around!! bub, steve

jonloe
08-16-2008, 12:51 AM
haha sounds like a good idea!

Pudknocker71
08-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Here is a different few of Google maps. Type in your address and find your house. Not the earth map but ....well...like you just drove up to your house. This is the like to the Thread over at RCG.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908929

Pudknocker71
08-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Don't forget to Google Earth Area 51.

Bub Steve
08-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Don't forget to Google Earth Area 51.
Pudknocker::Area 51!!!!Area 51!!!!!!!!!! ain't know such thing!!(I'm the only extra terrestrial on this plant that I'm aware off) bub steve PS I do fly half my planes on Ch,51 though

John Seidelman
08-16-2008, 05:18 AM
I go to several of my old Stations and Alameda Naval Air is closed. The blds are still there and some are in use, but the runways are vacant and the ship docks are now museums I think. Then I go up to Whidbey Island WA Naval air and see A-6s on some of the hangers and tie downs. But they have some very large (look Like Transports) birds there as well. Can't figure that one out. I thought the runways would be too short for plane of that size.

Firestem4
08-16-2008, 05:28 AM
damn you jonloe! i just spent the past hour looking around in Google Earth lol. Checked out McMurdo, Pendleton (my friend is in boot camp there right now), and went to germany to look at the places i was in when i vacationed there...8 years ago. Stayed in Villingen-Schwenningan for 7 weeks, travelled all over. Triberg, Meersberg (Konstanz), Munich, Frankfurt.

Dont think i ever went to Hamburg but i know i didnt go to Berlin. Oh man i miss germany....

jonloe
08-16-2008, 02:15 PM
haha, yes i spent most of last night looking for all the places ive lived!

its addicting!

jon

Sparky Paul
08-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Whidbey Island.... Lots of P-3 Orions, and some C-9 NIghtingales.
Go to Beale AFB, there's a bunch of KC-135s, 3 U-2s, and a Global Hawk.
At Palmdale, CA... U2, F-22, YC-14, and a buncha old planes at the Blackbird Air Park.

jonloe
08-16-2008, 06:24 PM
sweet i love the oldies planes!

TLyttle
08-17-2008, 02:15 AM
Bored! Bored??? If you are bored, c'mon over, I have LOTS of things to do, and no time to do them! Bored.........

FlyWheel
08-17-2008, 02:31 AM
I go to several of my old Stations and Alameda Naval Air is closed. The blds are still there and some are in use, but the runways are vacant and the ship docks are now museums I think. Then I go up to Whidbey Island WA Naval air and see A-6s on some of the hangers and tie downs. But they have some very large (look Like Transports) birds there as well. Can't figure that one out. I thought the runways would be too short for plane of that size.

Hmm, have you thought of borrowing an idea from cyclists? The group called Rails to Trails (www.railtrails.org) takes abandoned RR right of ways, buys them and converts them into walking, horse, and bike paths. Maybe you could find away to convert an old AF base, or at least part of it, into an RC park?

FlyWheel
08-17-2008, 02:32 AM
I come here ;)

jksecunda
08-17-2008, 02:38 AM
I come here ;)
Me too. Along with general internet surfing, looking for new planes to build or fly, watching the weather for another flying day, looking for new parks to fly in.

Stuff like that....when I'm bored...

John Seidelman
08-17-2008, 05:37 AM
Hmm, have you thought of borrowing an idea from cyclists? The group called Rails to Trails (http://www.railtrails.org) takes abandoned RR right of ways, buys them and converts them into walking, horse, and bike paths. Maybe you could find away to convert an old AF base, or at least part of it, into an RC park?

If you watch those wacky MYTH BUSTERS they do a lot of their shows from Alameda

quadracer111
08-17-2008, 05:49 AM
I don't know why you guys waste your time doing these things? :p> I go play with my crazy pen1s record...

At least i get SOMETHING done :p>

????????

jonloe
08-18-2008, 06:54 PM
WHAT?!?!

quadracer111
08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Pen1s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_*****)

replace "1" with "i"

jksecunda
08-18-2008, 10:46 PM
I used to have a Trek road bike. I really liked biking, but Fort Wayne is not bike friendly. I've been buzzed by cars TOO many times and want to live a full life. Biking is not worth it if you get hit by a car. Kind of makes me mad sometimes, but I sold it anyway. Two men were killed on bikes a couple years ago here in a benift ride for riders killed on the road. Too ironic. The pace car was hit from behind by another truck and ran over the bikers.

quadracer111
08-19-2008, 02:29 AM
ouch... that sucks, i feel sorry for those familys. The guy that hit the pace car must have felt horrible, but i bet the pace car driver also felt bad. There was a guy killed by a rc heli in 2003, the blades hit him in the neck

Houston man killed by model helicopter
12:09 PM CST on Monday, November 3, 2003

By Jeremy Desel / 11 News
HOUSTON -- A bizarre accident with a model helicopter killed a Houston man Sunday afternoon.

The victim was watching the radio-controlled aircraft at Tom Bass Park in southwest Harris County.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/houstonmetro/stories/M_IMAGE.f88d5cfcee.93.88.fa.80.1226ec89.jpg KHOU-TV
The helicopter that killed the victim is fuel-powered and radio-controlled.
"They can get up to some pretty high speeds," said Sgt. Hudson with the Harris County Sheriff's Department.
Traffic was grounded after the accident as sheriff's investigators tried to figure out what happened to cause the death of 41-year-old Ronald Kyle of southwest Houston.

"He was going through some flight maneuvers with the helicopter and he turned the controls over to the student and the helicopter got away from him," said Hudson.

Kyle was an instructor.

The student, who police did not identify, owns the model involved in the incident.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/houstonmetro/stories/M_IMAGE.f88d5cfcee.93.88.fa.80.1227aea4.jpg KHOU-TV
Some children were reportedly in the park when the accident happened and may have seen it.
Its 2-inch wide blades are made of fiberglass, but the engine spins with enough power to make them dangerous -- especially if the craft gets out of control -- which appeared to be the case Sunday.

"Came back toward the two individuals and the helicopter struck the deceased in the throat area," said Hudson.

The impact of the crash killed Kyle almost immediately. He was partially decapitated.

Investigators say the student operating the helicopter had been in one of this areas ten chapters of the Academy of Model Aeronautics for about nine months. That organization has more than 170,000 members nationwide.

We are told the student was working toward a flight certification -- but had yet to complete it.

There are designated areas for flying and for watching at the park. Both men were in the operations area at the time.

jonloe
08-19-2008, 09:30 PM
wow thats the first death ive heard of from the RC hobbies, i feel sorry for the kids that saw it, they are probably scarred for life

quadracer111
08-20-2008, 02:01 AM
There has also been a 60yr (around there) guy that was hit in the chest with his rc plane.. killed him