PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rid of your scrap foam?

GreenAce92
08-27-2008, 04:10 AM
Well i am in a situation here like always in my basement(where i build my creations) and i always have, well my main garbage, is lotsa foam. Mainly from destroyed airframes or planes that just sucked ones that i destroy like step on or kick or you know other ways of destroying planes im mad at lol. So yeah anyways ive got heaps of FFF foam and im trying to save them so that when i actually build something that i make plans for IE have dimensions, then i plan on just pulling those scrap pieces of foam out and cutting out hte parts i need, but then what about those tiny pieces of foam that you cant use? like you must throw out. Where do you guys put them? i mean obviously you dont burn them because you know pollution and all that. Mainly ive just been(liek when i clean) i sweep everything in a massive pile, dig through it and then take it and put it all in a giant 40gallon bag and bring it to the garbage place(the big palce that compacts garbage you cant burn or get rid of by getting it picked up by the city garbage people)

how do you guys get rid of "unneeded foam"?

TLyttle
08-27-2008, 04:24 AM
Same way. We are charged for garbage pickup as though we have 2 bags a week; we seldom have more than one bag every 2 weeks. That leaves me a lot of latitude for error!

GreenAce92
08-27-2008, 05:01 AM
Wait latitude for error? can you explain that?

Firestem4
08-27-2008, 10:21 AM
He has leverage =_)

TLyttle
08-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Error, as in construction errors. Some projects will fill a garbage bag on their own, so because I only use the system once in 2 weeks, there are some weeks when I can make 2 bags of mistakes...

constantCrash
08-27-2008, 05:09 PM
GA, I've asked myself the same question many times. technically Foam IS recyclable but very very very few places actually do the recycling. So as much as it pains me to do so mine goes in the garbage also.

With all the hubbub about recycling, and the amount of Styrofoam we all use you would THINK that they would increase the recycling of this stuff.

TLyttle
08-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Apparently Styrofoam is very difficult to recycle, hence there are few places that can do anything with it. "Better living through chemistry..."

Voyager2lcats
08-27-2008, 05:38 PM
I posted a while back on a company that recycles foam lunch trays (schools, diners, etc.), but I have yet to see a recycle facility for EPS (styrofoam). It makes no sense in ecological terms, since you need petroleum to produce the plastic in the first place. Time to talk to the chemical engineers about this.:(

P.S. I found this site linked from another one: http://www.epspackaging.org/ Hopefully this may help you GreenAce.

GreenAce92
08-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Sometimes i compress mine and put it in Walmart's trashcans lol
but for now my plan is to use and reuse till there is very little left

Thanks for the neat link its cool how they made an "Alliance of Foam group" lol

constantCrash
08-27-2008, 09:19 PM
I found this humors "Polystyrene represents a tiny fraction - less than one percent by weight - of the solid waste stream. "

Yeah EPS doesn't weigh anything but it's now the symbol of litter and bad waste managment.

GreenAce92
08-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Well when you burn it you do get a horrible black smoke lol

Voyager2lcats
08-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Now why would you want to do that?

GreenAce92
08-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Oh im just sayin i dont want to do it, stuff stinks you know?

CHELLIE
08-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Here is a great way to Get rid of that foam and save energy too, crumble it up, and go into the attic, and add it to the insulation :D DONE , no Muss no Fuss, Take care, Chellie

GreenAce92
08-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Oh wow never thought of that... hmmm we'd be like that lady that built a house out of a 747 jet aluminum parts, except its foam...

Pudknocker71
08-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Only scrap foam I've had has been used to test spray paint on.

Pardon me...I still have a quarter sheet of 6mill Depron.:cool:

Voyager2lcats
08-30-2008, 06:25 PM
You know Chellie, you are way too smart.;) That is a great idea. I actually could use a little over my garage. As they say in the architecture biz: adaptive reuse.:)

Here is a great way to Get rid of that foam and save energy too, crumble it up, and go into the attic, and add it to the insulation :D DONE , no Muss no Fuss, Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE
08-31-2008, 04:55 AM
You know Chellie, you are way too smart.;) That is a great idea. I actually could use a little over my garage. As they say in the architecture biz: adaptive reuse.:)

Thank You Voyager for the complement :$ I love to Recycle stuff, and this is just one way of doing it, Hey Everyone, send your scrap foam to Voyager so he can insulate his Garage :D Take care and Stay Sweet, Chellie

groundrushesup
08-31-2008, 07:03 AM
how do you guys get rid of "unneeded foam"?

Here in Texas we plant it and wait for FFF trees to grow.

I've been watching mine, and Apparently there's a long gestation period.

Kidding of course. I keep mine. I have this industrial-sized (I think it was on a navy ship at one point) blender, and a couple of times I've put my long thin pieces of foam in it to make packing material. This makes me feel good, because I am usually shipping stuff back to my brother and sister-in-law in Maryland, and she is a borderline A-R recylcer. Back there they have recycling pickups AND garbage pickups, and people look at you funny if you don't. :Q

So my EPS lives on to become astroturf or something. ;-)

GreenAce92
08-31-2008, 03:21 PM
huh.. thats pretty sweet, astroturf you say? hmmm thats pretty cool

FlyWheel
08-31-2008, 06:22 PM

You also get formaldehyde and a host of other toxic gasses as well. I find it hard to believe they cant simply melt the stuff down and turn it back into the pellets it started out as, it is a thermpoplastic, after all. ????

At least they can sell it to Black and Decker to use in making their disposable power tools.

FlyWheel
08-31-2008, 06:24 PM

Great Idea, Chellie! Give you a great excuse to buy more planes to boot!::o

Er, just out of curiosity, how many busted up Strykers, funjets, etc are insulating your attic? :ws:

GreenAce92
08-31-2008, 06:30 PM
One of my ideas was to create a plane with a main frame, then just cut out sheets(from the scrap foam) and sheet it/cover it