PDA

View Full Version : National Air and Space museum

constantCrash
08-27-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm going to be heading to DC soon and would like to visit both parts of the NASM. However, I cannot find any simple ways to get from the Mall to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center center. Apparently the shuttle closed a long time ago. Does anybody on here have helpful suggestions?

Old Fart
08-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Don't have a good suggestion on getting there - but from my experience last year - take a good camera (my cellphone one didn't cut it)

I'll be flying into IAD on Friday for the long weekend, don't know if we'll make it out to NASM this time or not..

Voyager2lcats
08-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Here's a copy of the transportation information directly from the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum web site:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="90%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=leveltwo>Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>

</TD><TD class=tdcontent>A variety of public transportation options exist. Depending on your point of departure, you may need to use a combination of public transportation options to reach the facility. Please consult transportation operators for the best routes, schedules and fares.
Virginia Regional Transit
This is currently the only public transportation operator that serves the Udvar-Hazy Center directly. The route provides connecting bus service between Dulles International Airport, Dulles Town Center and the Udvar-Hazy Center. Free transfers from other VRTA routes that transit the Dulles Town Center are available. Schedules, fares and information are available on the VRTA web site (http://www.vatransit.org/bus_schedules.cfm). More information: phone: 540-338-1610, email [email protected] (http://www.nasm.si.edu/visit/transportation/[email protected]).

MetroBus/MetroRail (Washington Metro Area Transit Authority)
There is no direct MetroRail or MetroBus service to the Udvar-Hazy Center. You may take a combination of MetroRail and/or MetroBus to reach Dulles International Airport or Dulles Town Center where you can transfer to a Virginia Regional Transit bus going directly to the facility. To quickly plan your MetroBus/MetroRail trip based on your departure place and time, use the interactive online trip planner (http://www.wmata.com/).

Washington Flyer
This private bus service provides transportation between select MetroRail stations and Dulles International Airport. More information (http://www.washfly.com/).

Taxi
Taxi service is also available.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

pd1
08-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Hate to say it, but a rental car might be easier and cheaper.
If there is more than two going, the rental will make sense.

Paul

Voyager2lcats
08-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Paul, finding a parking spot near the Air & Space Museum (down town D.C.) is difficult. Very few spots relative to visitors. Making your way into D.C. on a morning commute is a nightmare (I-66 is a parking lot on most mornings). Metro rail is your best bet into Washington. If you have a rental car, park it at a metro station parking lot and get aprox. $7.00 ticket (takes care of round trip to-from Vienna, Virginia metro station to D.C.). Once you're back in Vienna (or whichever is closest to where you stay), drive your rental car toward Dulles Airport (I-66 to Virginia Route 50, to Virginia Route 28). Metro buses leave at least every hour from metro rail stations, so it is less expensive and fairly direct during the day after rush hour. My mother lives near Dulles airport, so I know how Metro works.

Hate to say it, but a rental car might be easier and cheaper.
If there is more than two going, the rental will make sense.

Paul

constantCrash
08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the info guys, My hotel is 1 block off the Mall, 2 blocks from the NASM on the mall so I'll be driving OUT of DC to visit the far one. I'll look into the rental car Idea.

pd1
08-27-2008, 09:58 PM
I've only gone on the weekend.
I've never had to drive in the traffic there.

I've also never used the transport system there either. But now I'll look into it.

Maybe I'll find someone that knows how to get around down there and drag him along.

Paul

Voyager2lcats
08-28-2008, 03:51 AM
Weekends and holidays are the best time to visit- traffic is lower than during the week, believe it or not.

I've only gone on the weekend.
I've never had to drive in the traffic there.

You don't want to.;)

I've also never used the transport system there either. But now I'll look into it.

Metro rail is inexpensive, clean, and fast- you will be surprised at how nice it is.

Maybe I'll find someone that knows how to get around down there and drag him along.

Aviation history and science is fun to share with a friend- even if you have to bribe them to accompany you!:rolleyes:

Paul

Voyager2lcats
08-28-2008, 03:55 AM
ConstantCrash you are set with a great location. Taking the rental car out of the city is easier than getting in. You will have hotel parking, so you have nothing to lose. Hope you enjoy yourself- both museums are fantastic.:)

Thanks for the info guys, My hotel is 1 block off the Mall, 2 blocks from the NASM on the mall so I'll be driving OUT of DC to visit the far one. I'll look into the rental car Idea.

groundrushesup
08-28-2008, 04:03 AM
I'm going to be heading to DC soon and would like to visit both parts of the NASM. However, I cannot find any simple ways to get from the Mall to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center center. Apparently the shuttle closed a long time ago. Does anybody on here have helpful suggestions?

Man, it is a bit of a pain to be honest. Dulles is in Northern Virginia (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=washington+dc&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS233US233&um=1&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title), quite a stretch from the Capital. I mean, it is out in the sticks. I used to live in D.C. (18th & Kalorama), and it was a Taxi ride for flights out of Dulles.

Sorry for the bad news, but it is worth it. U-H is spectacular. And if you do rent a car, DO NOT speed on the Dulles Access road. Those Va. State Poopers love nothign more than someone who is leaving town and will mail a nice chunk of change instead of contesting a ticket. :p>

Voyager2lcats
08-28-2008, 04:15 AM
Groundrushesup, it's at least 23 miles from DC to Fairfax City (via I-66 and Route 50)- probably at least 8 more to Dulles from there. Planes are always flying past my mother's house to land at Dulles, so I can be at Udvar-Hazy in about 15 minutes when I visit her.:cool::cool:
Don't think that area is woods and farms- it used to be, but there's a Starbucks coffee or a strip mall about every 2 miles now. Keep your eyes on the exit ramps or you'll be going to Manassas (I-66) or Leesburg (Route 50).;)

Dulles Access Road warning: it is a toll road. It will cost you some change, so keep it handy.:rolleyes:

Man, it is a bit of a pain to be honest. Dulles is in Northern Virginia (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=washington+dc&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS233US233&um=1&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title), quite a stretch from the Capital. I mean, it is out in the sticks. I used to live in D.C. (18th & Kalorama), and it was a Taxi ride for flights out of Dulles.

Sorry for the bad news, but it is worth it. U-H is spectacular. And if you do rent a car, DO NOT speed on the Dulles Access road. Those Va. State Poopers love nothign more than someone who is leaving town and will mail a nice chunk of change instead of contesting a ticket. :p>

groundrushesup
08-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Dulles Access Road warning: it is a toll road. It will cost you some change, so keep it handy.:rolleyes:

Is it? See I thought there was a road that runs somewhat parallel to the Dulles Access road that was a toll road (Takes you out to Wolftrap) , but coming off of 495, you have to dive left 4 lanes to avoid taking the toll side.

I'll admit its been since 05 since I was there, lots of stuff going up on the Dulles Corridor I guess but the outlying areas are still the pastures and hayfields of the Civil War. Well, and some McMansion suburbs. ;-)

Voyager2lcats
08-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Dulles Access Road: not a toll road. My mistake. However, it is only for travel to and from Dulles Airport proper. If you don't have a boarding pass or other proof of a transaction at the airport, and you get stopped by the police, you will be paying the state of Virginia some extra money via a fine. So I guess there is a fee.;)

P.S. The Dulles Access Road runs in the median of the Dulles Toll Road! You can exit to Udvar-Hazy via the toll road; you can't exit going to Dulles via the access road. FYI.:)

constantCrash
08-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the info and suggestions guys.

Voyager2lcats
08-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Just saw this and wanted to warn you. Parking is now $12.00 per day at the Udvar-Hazy Center. Unless you buy a season pass: $65.00. The taxi or bus is looking better all the time.:rolleyes: