PDA

View Full Version : Ok this weather is getting really strange now!

firemanbill
09-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Look at this from NOAA for the tropical outlook, two more named storms on the horizon!!!

GreenAce92
09-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Its global warming man, we should've recycled more.

Well i hope the wheather clears up, hope eveyrone stays safe.

gfdengine204
09-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Its global warming man, we should've recycled more.

Well i hope the wheather clears up, hope eveyrone stays safe.

Tell me about Global Warming when we stop having -30 degree days in the winter in Chicago. And.....this has been the mildest summer in many years.

Besides.....how can you PROVE global warming? Meteorological records were first recorded 240 years ago; the Earth has been around quite a bit longer than that. How do we know we are not in a cycle? We don't. Global warming is a THEORY.

As to recycling, well, yes we SHOULD recycle more.

GreenAce92
09-02-2008, 01:18 AM
Well i was just jokin anyways, but the weather has been a little weird, here in NY too.

Alpea42
09-02-2008, 02:32 AM
What ever weather cycle the Earth is in one thing that isn't a Theory is the melting glaciers and smaller ice caps. Those are fact.

GreenAce92
09-02-2008, 03:04 AM
poor polar bears.

gfdengine204
09-02-2008, 03:06 AM
What ever weather cycle the Earth is in one thing that isn't a Theory is the melting glaciers and smaller ice caps. Those are fact.
But again, we have no idea if that hasn't happened before, then cooled some to refreeze it.....

Our satellite imagery wasn't around to check the polar ice levels 5000 years ago......

We have smaller cycles of weather phenomena......what's to say we don't have longer-term cycles?

Not flaming anyone, just saying......

firemanbill
09-02-2008, 03:07 AM
Kev I certainly agree with you but I don't think anyone can say Mankind doesn't have something to do with it.

Not saying we are the only cause, just that we are certainly helping.

gfdengine204
09-02-2008, 03:10 AM
Kev I certainly agree with you but I don't think anyone can say Mankind doesn't have something to do with it.

Not saying we are the only cause, just that we are certainly helping.

I'm not saying we aren't contributing; I think we are to a degree.

But I also don't buy into all these doomsday theories either. I'm not saying we don't have work to do to help change our ways, but I just don't buy "Global Warming".....

firemanbill
09-02-2008, 03:12 AM
I'm not saying we aren't contributing; I think we are to a degree.

But I also don't buy into all these doomsday theories either. I'm not saying we don't have work to do to help change our ways, but I just don't buy "Global Warming".....

I don't completely either but I do think what we could do better with our planet.

gfdengine204
09-02-2008, 03:15 AM
I don't completely either but I do think what we could do better with our planet.

One of the reasons I fly electric! :)

FlyingMonkey
09-02-2008, 03:19 AM
But again, we have no idea if that hasn't happened before, then cooled some to refreeze it.....

Our satellite imagery wasn't around to check the polar ice levels 5000 years ago......

We have smaller cycles of weather phenomena......what's to say we don't have longer-term cycles?

Actually, we do know it's happened before. There has been several cycles of warming and cooling. Sudden shifts to happen, a couple hundred years ago we had a "little ice age (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age)".

Here is an interesting site...

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/ice_ages.html

from that site...

Approximately 15,000 years ago the earth had warmed sufficiently to halt the advance of glaciers, and sea levels worldwide began to rise.

By 8,000 years ago the land bridge across the Bering Strait was drowned, cutting off the migration of men and animals to North America.

Since the end of the Ice Age, Earth's temperature has risen approximately 16 degrees F and sea levels have risen a total of 300 feet! Forests have returned where once there was only ice.

alienx
09-02-2008, 03:21 AM
That's funny!!! I just sent the same pic to my surfing buddy about 3 hours ago!! It IS the peak of hurricane season right now so not so unusual. As a matter of fact, I have taken the second week of September off for the past few years just because you can almost set your watch to this spike in tropical weather.

Sure was funny to see that pic though!!

firemanbill
09-02-2008, 03:25 AM
That's funny!!! I just sent the same pic to my surfing buddy about 3 hours ago!! It IS the peak of hurricane season right now so not so unusual. As a matter of fact, I have taken the second week of September off for the past few years just because you can almost set your watch to this spike in tropical weather.

Sure was funny to see that pic though!!

LOL, that is funny!:Q

GreenAce92
09-02-2008, 04:06 AM
Well the 2012 theory about the mayans i think is kinda stupid, i mean why would the earth suddenly end? i mean well maybe if somehow we got all our nukes launched and other countries did too like T3 judgement day, but i mean comon? what would kill us all? And still i dont really see how we have enough firepower to destroy the world, i mean the world is a huge chunk of rock with water and magma, molten rocks, the core(s) the works.., i mean we'd have to have billions trillions of megatons of explosives to kill the earth..... i dont see it happening

....yeah sorry i ranted about nukes there for no reason...

Firestem4
09-02-2008, 06:58 AM
damn....you...greenace......You just opened up a huge can of freakin worms.

Ok im going to say this and hope to god it doesnt go much further..
First off. I dont buy into global warming. I agree with Gdfengine and fireman and flying monkey. The planet is going through a phase which is has been ever since it was first formed. Not only is our planet moving in its orbit, our solar system is moving on an orbit aswell. (The giant glowing field in the middle of the Milky Way galaxy, although has been theorized, hasfinally been proven it is a Supermassive black hole.) 2ndly. We only have 240 years of recorded weather data. and not nearly as accurate as today. And the only other information we have is buried in the rocks.

I did a lot of researching into the mayan doomsday theory after watching a neutral-stance documentary on it. I do not beleive in any way the world will end. That is a major urban legend.

The Maya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_civilization) were religious people, who lived in fear of the destructive nature of their gods. Death rituals became a very important part of their religion (wikipedia)

One thing that many people do not realise is the Mayans and the Aztecs (which shared incredibly similar religious beliefs), a number of which was Sacrificing people to appease their gods. One reason the belief that the world will end is because the Mayans and Aztecs discerned into the future that the world would end on such and such date. If they indeed predicted the future, it is because the gods would destroy the world. Their races no longer exist, and there is no one left to sacrifice to the gods.

That is one theory.

When you hear things like this you need to take it with a grain of salt. One common misconception is there Are inscriptions foretelling of events after 2012. If you are to carefully study the conspiracy. Most notably pertaining to the Mayan Long Count Calendar, you will find out that 2012 stands more about a rebirth of sorts. A new beginning. But it NEVER mentions a doomsday, or destruction in any way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_Long_Count_calendar

groundrushesup
09-02-2008, 08:16 AM

I've had this argument a thousand times, and one thing I've come to realize - it's patently redonkulous to invoke the "in the fullness of time" argument - e.g., "its probably happened before so what's the big deal! There is evidence of climate change much more radical than this yada yada"

From my perspective, being homo sapien (well, for atleast a few hours a day), life is short, and its all about the world we are handing off to the chilluns and grand chilluns. ;-)

my 0.02165 (plus sales tax),
gru

Firestem4
09-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Well I understand your viewpoint. But people are making such an excessive deal about it. We may live in our own little fantasy worlds (some of us especially), and we dont want that to change. But we need to just deal with it as it comes..

And FYI The Day After Tomorrow(movie) is theoretically possible but not in the course of a week. Events such as that would take close to a century to happen.

groundrushesup
09-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Well I understand your viewpoint. But people are making such an excessive deal about it. We may live in our own little fantasy worlds (some of us especially), and we dont want that to change. But we need to just deal with it as it comes..

And FYI The Day After Tomorrow(movie) is theoretically possible but not in the course of a week. Events such as that would take close to a century to happen.

Enh, I too behold the science behind the larger theory of radical, apocalyptic climate change induced by mankind as doomsday hocus-pocus, but when I run across someone who uses that shakiness to excuse the status quo -- ignoring all the concrete science that says we can do far better for the planet, I get a little miffed, as it is usually just justification through misdirection.

Firestem4
09-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Aye, I believe (not trying to be so cliche`) The power of green. I like and support the development and study of alternative energy sources. Aswell as an increase in global recycling, reduction of green house gasses, energy efficient appliances. Within reason i buy these kinds of products. I have a motorcycle because of the gas it saves. When an electric motorcycle comes out for a reasonable price, you can bet i'd get one.

We must do something because we have been poisoning the world for the past 200 years..

CHELLIE
09-02-2008, 11:55 AM
I think all this bad weather is the result of a 3600 Year cycle of Nibiru or planet X, it has been written about in the summarian tablets, more than once, the summarians have recorded its passage a number of times, its the cause of Ice Ages, polar shifts, etc, it has been known to exsist, because some thing out there fluxes the planets around, and it has been found, goverments of the world dont want you to know about it, why, Panic, the bible calls this planet, Wormwood, I belive this will be the last cycle of Nibiru/Planet X, Because the Lord will bring this system to a end, and bring in his new Heaven and Earth, Thats what Christians look forwards to, a new heaven and a new earth, as described in Rev 21-1 , I belive we are in the Last Days, and in the tribulation, Please feel free to prove me Wrong, With Christian Love, Chellie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxRM-wcVIhY&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxRM-wcVIhY&feature=related)

gfdengine204
09-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I think all this bad weather is the result of a 3600 Year cycle of Nibiru or planet X, it has been written about in the summarian tablets, more than once, the summarians have recorded its passage a number of times, its the cause of Ice Ages, polar shifts, etc, it has been known to exsist, because some thing out there fluxes the planets around, and it has been found, goverments of the world dont want you to know about it, why, Panic, the bible calls this planet, Wormwood, I belive this will be the last cycle of Nibiru/Planet X, Because the Lord will bring this system to a end, and bring in his new Heaven and Earth, Thats what Christians look forwards to, a new heaven and a new earth, as described in Rev 21-1 , I belive we are in the Last Days, and in the tribulation, Please feel free to prove me Wrong, With Christian Love, Chellie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxRM-wcVIhY&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxRM-wcVIhY&feature=related)

Chellie,

I don't believe we are in the Tribulation yet. We may be rapidly approaching End Times, but by definition, the Tribulation is the 7 year period after the Rapture. (This said with Christian love as well, sweetie).

Also, I don't want anyone to interpret my views earlier as meaning we shouldn't be doing more to reduce our impact on Mother Earth. If I could swing it, I would have a windmill on my property to generate electricity, and sell any excess (as allowed by law) BACK to the power company. I would also love to line my roof with solar cells to help generate electricity. I am a firm believer in the harnessing and utilization of natural energy sources, as well as alternative fuels for alleviating our dependence on foreign oil.

But, all this strays FAR from Bill's original topic about the weather. Sorry Bill. :) You know how I strive to stay ON TOPIC! :p>

Pudknocker71
09-03-2008, 12:07 AM
If I could swing it, I would have a windmill on my property to generate electricity, and sell any excess (as allowed by law) BACK to the power company. I would also love to line my roof with solar cells to help generate electricity.

Me too but I have a larger governing body to get around...My HOA!::o:p>

Firestem4
09-03-2008, 03:08 AM
well all i can say Chellie, is with its passing, the world was never destroyed.

I just dont put too much stock into these sort of things. There is truth to both sides of the argument, and i respect that. But some times you just have to look at the facts and what you believe and ask yourself. Does this truly implicate the end of the world? Or is it mass hysteria, which the world thrives on.

FlyingMonkey
09-03-2008, 04:57 AM
the world is a disk, on the backs of four elephants, riding a giant turtle...

Firestem4
09-03-2008, 05:25 AM
I thought Jack Sparrow was riding the sea turtles.

FlyingMonkey
09-03-2008, 05:35 AM
http://capecodhistory.us/books/books-pics/discworld.gif

Firestem4
09-03-2008, 05:45 AM
lmao.

I concede, I have been shown the light.

FlyingMonkey
09-03-2008, 12:23 PM
this might help explain...

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/

groundrushesup
09-03-2008, 02:25 PM
this might help explain...

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/

Ahh, A'tuin.

If you squint hard enough, you can see the Unseen University and the Tower of Art.