PDA

View Full Version : Pensacola NAS Aviation Museum *Taking Requests for Photos*

FlyingMonkey
09-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I will be visiting this museum again tomorrow. It is full of beautiful planes that you can get right up to and touch. This makes photographing details rather easy.

So, since I will be heading there tomorrow, and bringing my camera, are there any planes in particular folks would like photographs of?

Any details on the plane that you would like to see up close?

Here is a listing of the planes on exhibit...

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/getdoc/9c8b4308-2174-458f-bf6f-fbbb03771b4c/Exhibits-(1).aspx

Just post what you want, and I'll put the images up on here.

If you missed the "deadline" for this museum visit, rest assured that I will be visiting this museum again in the not too distant future. It's about 1.5 hours from my house, so it's a fairly short ride to get there.

Here's a link to the last thread I dedicated to a museum trip. The first post is images for a member who wanted some pictures of an A-1 Skyraider

Grasshopper
09-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Looks like a cool place Fred. I'd definitely like some walk around pics of the SBD Dauntless. Especially the canopy, cockpit, landing gear and under belly. Some shots of the tail, flaps, cowl and all other areas would be great too. This is on my build list for next year and details of the real thing are always nice.

Thanks.

FlyingMonkey
09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Ok, will do!

Grasshopper
09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Much appreciated!

pd1
09-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Hey Fred, Looking forward to your pictures, I haven't been there in 10 years.
Pensacola is a great place, I like the P-40 they have.

Paul

John Seidelman
09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
A-3-D If they allow you to crawl up into the Cockpit, Internals would be nice to see and refresh my memories.

FlyingMonkey
09-03-2008, 07:46 PM
A-3-D If they allow you to crawl up into the Cockpit, Internals would be nice to see and refresh my memories.

I am not sure where they keep this one. It looks like it's in one of the outside hangars. Which would suggest it's cockpit is closed.

I will try to remember to bring my monopod which I can hold at arm's length with the camera on self timer (or video, and take some stills, or post the video...)

I'll see what I can do on this one.

FlyingMonkey
09-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Hey Fred, Looking forward to your pictures, I haven't been there in 10 years.
Pensacola is a great place, I like the P-40 they have.

Paul

do you want to see anything specific from this plane?

I suppose, for you, I might be willing to take an extra picture or two... :D

pd1
09-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks FM,
The pictures I had are old, and before I had a decent camera.
So any shots are fine. I'll enjoy your other pictures too.

Paul

Rabbitcreekok
09-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Wow, I did not realize they has so many aircraft on display. Looking forward to your photos. I assume you will take a lot of shots of the F4U since you now have one.

vax6335
09-04-2008, 03:16 AM
That was a very cool place. I was down there for USAF Water Survival School last year. Unfortunately the only camera I had was my phone...

max2112
09-04-2008, 03:31 AM
Fred, thanks VERY much for the offer.
Both of my requests are for gneral side view shots to recreate a scale paint scheme and markings.

1st is the Gooney Bird. I just love the old C-47s and hope to build a 65" (give or take;)) kit one day.

2nd is the o1 BirdDog.

Please & Thank You Sir.:ws:

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2008, 03:37 AM
adding them to the list.

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Just hours away...

get requests in while you can.

pd1
09-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Have a nice trip.
Paul

Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to aircraft museum pictures?

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2008, 01:20 PM
sure, I have three that I frequent in the area.

I have the one in Pensacola.

There's one in Fort Walton for Eglin Air Force Base.

There's also an Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker AL
This one is interesting, while primarily helicopters, it has an interesting UAV exhibit, as well as several WWI aircraft, a Bleriot XIII and a military Wright Flyer.

Then there's the ones within a day or two drive...

John Seidelman
09-04-2008, 03:14 PM

Just wondering if they might jut have a stripped plane. The hatch on the under side in front of the bomb bay was one of 2 entrances into the bird. The other was a roof hatch that slides open. The Navy version this hatch was the only escape for bail outs, which is one reason the nickname for the bird was (all three dead.)

FlyingMonkey
09-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Making my list, since we're just about ready to leave (taking my younger brother, the "Chipmunk" with me today) and I got to this...

Looks like a cool place Fred. I'd definitely like some walk around pics of the SBD Dauntless. Especially the canopy, cockpit, landing gear and under belly. Some shots of the tail, flaps, cowl and all other areas would be great too. This is on my build list for next year and details of the real thing are always nice.

Thanks.

Wouldn't it have been shorter to just say you want a detailed view of, everything?

Ok, back to making my list now.

SkunkyMagoo
09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Pin ups!

Grasshopper
09-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Making my list, since we're just about ready to leave (taking my younger brother, the "Chipmunk" with me today) and I got to this...

Wouldn't it have been shorter to just say you want a detailed view of, everything?

Ok, back to making my list now.

Sure. Thanks for the offer. :p>

FlyingMonkey
09-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Pin ups!

While there were a few women worthy of such task, I doubt the husbands with them would have appreciated me approaching them with that request.

Liquidity
09-05-2008, 02:26 AM
I want to see a photo of you riding on the Cessna 337 outside the musuem near Eglin

FlyingMonkey
09-05-2008, 02:31 AM
I'll be going to Fort Walton this week.

While there, I will get the Gooney Bird pictures.

Liquidity
09-05-2008, 02:37 AM
You have to be riding on it

FlyingMonkey
09-05-2008, 02:38 AM
I'll see what I can do...

FlyingMonkey
09-06-2008, 04:09 PM
I want to see a photo of you riding on the Cessna 337 outside the musuem near Eglin

You have to be riding on it

Here you go...

as for the rest....

I went a little different route. I took video of the requested planes. I am working on putting it together in a few movie segments, I'll let you know when it's done.

Liquidity
09-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Nice. What an awesome plane. I am kinda disappointed. With the sign that says do not touch the prop, I would have thought you would have a picture of you sitting on the prop.

FlyingMonkey
09-06-2008, 09:45 PM
dude, have a little respect for the planes, and the men who flew them.

I felt guilty as it was.

Liquidity
09-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Oh isnt this funny. FM telling me to have respect for people that flew our airplanes.....

I will let it pass as I know it was only a joke, but it might be a good idea to stay away from Hodges for some time

FlyingMonkey
09-07-2008, 01:05 AM
I'll be up there tomorrow.

Liquidity
09-07-2008, 01:47 AM
I will be there waiting....

pd1
09-07-2008, 02:10 AM
Nice. What an awesome plane. I am kinda disappointed. With the sign that says do not touch the prop, I would have thought you would have a picture of you sitting on the prop.

Actually it said, "Do not touch OR rotate the propellor"

FlyingMonkey
09-07-2008, 02:19 AM
I bet there are plenty of people that still do it though, regardless of what it might do to the plane.

(although, if/as long as there's oil in the engine, wouldn't it be good to rotate it once in a while?)

pd1
09-07-2008, 02:32 AM
I bet there are plenty of people that still do it though, regardless of what it might do to the plane.

(although, if/as long as there's oil in the engine, wouldn't it be good to rotate it once in a while?)

You would think so....but...

Not if the "P" lead is off or broken.
That's what grounds the mag.

When the fuel is shut off with the mixture control, fuel can still ooze into the engine when the engine is in the sun and the fuel and vapors expand.

I had a Beech Sierra that that happened to.
Scared the liver out of me.

I hollered at the student, who was in the plane, and he held up the keys to show me they weren't in the ignition.
Didn't run long, but long enough to do some damage if you weren't careful.

Paul

FlyingMonkey
09-07-2008, 02:40 AM
You would think so....but...

Not if the "P" lead is off or broken.
That's what grounds the mag.

When the fuel is shut off with the mixture control, fuel can still ooze into the engine when the engine is in the sun and the fuel and vapors expand.

I had a Beech Sierra that that happened to.
Scared the liver out of me.

I hollered at the student, who was in the plane, and he held up the keys to show me they weren't in the ignition.
Didn't run long, but long enough to do some damage if you weren't careful.

Paul

My father had a plan in the yard as I was growing up, warned me of such a thing.

pd1
09-07-2008, 02:47 AM
When I learned to fly, a lot of the planes had the Armstrong starters.
I was taught at an early age to treat all props like they were live.

On the plus side, I used to go for free rides because I could hand prop the planes for others.

Paul

Rabbitcreekok
09-07-2008, 03:25 AM
My father had a plan in the yard as I was growing up, warned me of such a thing.

What was his plan?:tc:

I wish I had a dollar for every airplane I have propped over the years. Since none of my Dad's sprayers had starters, that was the only way to get them going.

The easiest airplane to prop was a Stearman with a 450 (Pratt & Whitney R985, 450 Horsepower). The height was just right and they were relatively low compression engines. The propeller blades were wide on the trailing edge, so they were not hard on your hands.

The worst was a Stearman with a 225 Jacobs because the trailing edge of the propeller was thin and was hard on your fingers. And they were sometimes hard to start.

FlyingMonkey
09-07-2008, 03:52 AM
Dad came from an age when there were a lot more things that had Armstrong brand names, like power steering in a car, for one...

pd1
09-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Jim, I loved to prop the 985's.
The guy that owned the airport had a Beech 18 and a Lockheed 10 that I used to prop.
Always amazed at how slow the engines turned over at first and how much noise they made.
The worse airplane for me was Cherokee Lance with the Lycoming 540 and a three blade prop.

Gloves helped on the sharp trailing edges.

Paul

CHEECH
09-07-2008, 12:40 PM

One of the most mistakes non mechanic aircraft owners make is to think you can hand spin the prop once in a while to lube the cylinders. Unless you can spin that prop @ 800 to 1000 RPM's, its not a wise idea.

Think about it. When you spin the prop your not picking up much oil to coat the cylider walls. Now your just grinding metal to metal. What do you think Paul?

Cheech

pd1
09-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Cylinder walls are only lubricated by splash oil.
At least on those vintage Continentals.
If the engine isn't running it won't get any lubrication.
I imagine that the engines have been treated to long term storage specs.

When you turn the prop, you scrape that protection off the cylinder walls too.

Paul

John Seidelman
11-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Just wondering if you ever got the pics compiled yet?