PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Fraud, anybody???

alienx
09-05-2008, 02:25 AM
Hey, I was just the victim of credit card fraud. I am mad!!!:mad:

It's a great mystery to me how this happened, maybe you never know. But I think my case is a little different than most, so I wanted to ask for some opinions. I'm not sure how much info I am supposed to give here, but let's just say that my card came back declined the other night and when I called to find out why, it turns out somebody had been charging things to it. It ended up being three big purchases, but the strange part is that the idiot shipped the stuff to me. So after telling the bank the charges weren't mine, they called today to say that they couldn't reverse them because the person that bought them used my name AND address.

Here's another strange thing. They left off my apartment number, Two of the packages made it to my house because my neighbor was outside when the UPS guy was wandering around my courtyard trying to see which apartment was mine.

Right away, you mind starts thinking crazy thoughts of how this could have happened. I started to wonder if it was someone in my complex and they left the apartment number off so they could intercept the delivery. But who knows, it could be just some kook trying to run up charges on my card. That just doesn't sit right though. At any rate, I was able to cancel one of the deliveries, and the other two got to me, so they person couldn't have tried very hard to intercept the packages.

Well, I am ticked. I have to call the police back tomorrow to speak to a detective, but I have no idea if they can do anything.

Aside from handing my card to a waiter once in a while, or using it at a department store, or even on the Internet, it has never left my person. But even these uses could leave open a thousand chances for someone to have stolen the info. I just don't understand why the packages were shipped to my apartment building.:confused:

Anyone else go through this or have any ideas?

Thanks! Andy

Grasshopper
09-05-2008, 02:35 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Andy. My wife and I went through that last year. A ring of thieves in Houston got my wife's information and opened up 8 new accounts charging almost $8000 to accounts in her name. It took several months to get through it but fortunately, everything was coverd and they ended up arresting 5 people that were involved in it.

If you need help on how to get through it, send me a PM and we'll try to help.

pd1
09-05-2008, 02:38 AM
Hi Andy, I'm not an attorney so my info can be wrong.

I think if you didn't order the stuff, you don't have to pay.

I also think whoever has your credit info is close to you.
Probably waiting for UPS to leave the package then was going to grab it.

Fill out a police report and get that credit card number changed or cancelled.
Give a copy of the report to the bank with a dispute and return the packages.

Good luck,
Paul

alienx
09-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Thanks guys. I am hopeful that the fact the packages came here give the police a fighting chance of finding the person.

I should be able to get the two boxes back to the retailers. I have to call them tomorrow again. I spoke to them today but didn't have the boxes yet. Now I can call back and tell them I have the merchandise. I haven't opened anything, so maybe I can get them to have UPS come back.

I guess the worst part is the victimization. But hearing Tom's story makes me feel like I got off easy with just three purchases.

firemanbill
09-05-2008, 02:51 AM
We had this happen several years ago. When I retired from the AF we moved out of base housing an into our new home. A year or so later I got a credit card bill in the mail that I did not have an account for.

Turns out the Visa company that I had an old dormant account with changed over to Mastercard and they mailed out new cards to everyone at their last known address. There was over $4000 worth of charges in about a 2 hour period, all in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. I've never been there but apprantly it's a big outlet and tourist area of sime kind.

When I got the bill I called the company and they explained the whole thing about how they mailed the cards out. I then asked them if they mailed the cards to the old address how did thy know to mail the bill to my new one!::o????

Well that kind of stumped them... I drove by our old house on base and lo and behold the car in the driveway had PA tags on it. I told the card company this and they said oh well.... the card was cancelled and they ate the charges, even though I told them exactly where the criminal was...????

Then they tried to get me for the first $50... I laughed so hard at that person on the phone... she eventually sighed and hung up on me. Never did have to pay that $50.:rolleyes:

Hate to hear this has happened to you to bud. I agree that you should not have to pay those charges, I think a judge would agree too.

SkunkyMagoo
09-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Better your CC than your bank card!

constantCrash
09-05-2008, 02:58 AM
Actually, Bill, I can almost geruntee that the CC company didn't eat the cost, what the do is issue a chargeback to the retailer and the retailer eats the cost. CC companies almost NEVER eat the cost, they pass it on. It's one of the biggest injustices in the credit industry that CC companies control the methods of authentication, but don't have to pay for it when that method is abused. In fact, CC companys actually benifit from fraud because they are never out any money. If they were then you would see the method of authentication change in a hurry.

just FYI

alienx
09-05-2008, 02:58 AM
I drove by our old house on base and lo and behold the car in the driveway had PA tags on it. I told the card company this and they said oh well.... the card was cancelled and they ate the charges, even though I told them exactly where the criminal was...????

This was amazing to me too. I got right on google that night and was shocked to see that it is almost good business to steal someones card. The penalties are negligible, and that is even if anyone goes after them. The other thing I learned was that the CC companies just accept this as a cost of doing business (like defaults) and charge it back to the other cardholders (and maybe merchants). Just insane!

alienx
09-05-2008, 02:59 AM
Better your CC than your bank card!
Agreed. I called the bank the next morning too to see what peril my life savings might be in. They actually had some decent answers and I slept OK that night.

firemanbill
09-05-2008, 03:06 AM
Actually, Bill, I can almost geruntee that the CC company didn't eat the cost, what the do is issue a chargeback to the retailer and the retailer eats the cost. CC companies almost NEVER eat the cost, they pass it on. It's one of the biggest injustices in the credit industry that CC companies control the methods of authentication, but don't have to pay for it when that method is abused. In fact, CC companys actually benifit from fraud because they are never out any money. If they were then you would see the method of authentication change in a hurry.

just FYI

That makes sense... as crazy as it sounds it makes sense....:mad:????

Angler-Hi
09-05-2008, 03:07 AM
Sorry to hear that Andy. I think something like that would really upset me. It wasn't CC fraud, but I got a bill about 5 years ago for a Dish Network satelite installation and the works. I called them and told them I never had a dish and never signed up for one. They tried to tell me that I signed up for it with one of their distributors who had a stand at a local flea market. I told them they were full of it and asked them to send me a copy of the agreement showing my signature! Needless to say, they never did, and refused to stop billing me...Then they tried to charge me a FEE for breaking my contract!!!! I went through the roof, and almost to jail. I went to the flea market the following weekend and had the @$$! It took almost a year to have it removed from my credit report!

I hope you get it all worked out friend.

Mike

alienx
09-05-2008, 03:11 AM
Sorry to hear that Andy. I think something like that would really upset me. It wasn't CC fraud, but I got a bill about 5 years ago for a Dish Network satelite installation and the works. I called them and told them I never had a dish and never signed up for one. They tried to tell me that I signed up for it with one of their distributors who had a stand at a local flea market. I told them they were full of it and asked them to send me a copy of the agreement showing my signature! Needless to say, they never did, and refused to stop billing me...Then they tried to charge me a FEE for breaking my contract!!!! I went through the roof, and almost to jail. I went to the flea market the following weekend and had the @$$! It took almost a year to have it removed from my credit report!

I hope you get it all worked out friend.

Mike

That's just wrong Mike. Scary what kind of stuff goes on these days. And YOU have to spend all that time and energy trying to right the situation.

I want to be blissfully ignorant again like I was a little while ago!:{

Angler-Hi
09-05-2008, 03:24 AM
I hear ya Andy:p>. Well I say i almost went to jail because I kicked over a display sign at their stand. I guess the guy thought I was gonna hit him...I wasn't, but boy I was gettin pretty good and mad when he tried to tell me it wasn't his problem.

jkaven
09-10-2008, 01:58 AM

This just happened to me at the end of August. I'm pretty sure my information was sold online. They tested it by making a small charity donation and then online services were purchased with it. I called my bank immediately and they took care of it.

Restaurants are very bad for this type of thing. When they take your card they copy down the information to use it later. A company I worked for got hit after giving their information to a pizza guy. A restaurant I used to frequent had a manager busted for stealing cards.

I was on vacation in Nags Head at the end of July so I'm betting one of the places I ate at kept my card information.

birdDog
09-10-2008, 02:27 AM
Alienx, Are you running a wireless network at your place? If so, with enough activity, a neighbor can close in and get your WEP (web encryption password i think) Try changing the pw on a regular basis. IF you don't have one, set one up. This helps keep them ( i forget the legal name for the wi-fi thieves) on the run and they will usually find an easier target .

These "purchases", are they something a salesperson might get a commission off of? Ya just never know, fraud is always evolving.

Best wishes in straightening this (and them) out.

groundrushesup
09-10-2008, 05:15 AM
Alienx, Are you running a wireless network at your place? If so, with enough activity, a neighbor can close in and get your WEP (web encryption password i think) Try changing the pw on a regular basis. IF you don't have one, set one up. This helps keep them ( i forget the legal name for the wi-fi thieves) on the run and they will usually find an easier target .

These "purchases", are they something a salesperson might get a commission off of? Ya just never know, fraud is always evolving.

Best wishes in straightening this (and them) out.

Hate to be "that guy", but it is unlikely someone pulled the CC# out of the air. All SSL connections (the ones you use when paying for stuff, https://) are encrypted by the browser, so unless they are uber-sophisticated, they won't get the info they are looking for. No, in this case like all others, the simplest explanation is most likely the best. I had a roommate with shady friends cause me about $3K of grief when I was in school.

RE: the wifi stuff: if you are using wireless and do not have at least WEP enabled, you are basically letting anyone use your internet connection for free and with virtual anonymity. Folks who look for these circumstances often do not have the best of intentions, if you follow me. They rarely try to peer into your 'network', as it were--they much prefer it's connection to the internet and all the stuff they can download on your dime.

Use WPA, and if you don't often have visitors with gadgets, lock down your network by MAC address. If you are curious about how to do this, I'd be happy to explain further. Right now I'm feeling like a total nerd so I'll pipe down. ;-)

cheers,
gru

alienx
09-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks people. Just a quick update. I do have a wireless network (that I think is protected at the WEP level at least). But I have no idea how to see what it looks like from the outside because I don't have a second laptop to check it with. I would gladly listen to any encryption or security advice I could get though. I am not even close to an expert on this stuff, so I may be transmitting my personal info to the world and not even know it.

I filed a police report and the police told me they have a lot of problem like this in my apartment complex. I'm trying to keep my paranoia under control though. The truth is, I could have been picked off at a gas station or Chili's or just about 100 other places. All it would take is someone with bad intentions!:roll:

That's it for now. I received some return shipping labels for all the products that came to me. The companies seemed to be embarrassed this happened. So no expense to me. They ordered toner cartridges (a lot of them!!), a Pitney Bowes postage meter and postage, and $600 dollars worth of magazine subscriptions. Not sure how they planned to use the magazines if they shipped them to me like the other products. Seems like it would be a pain in the butt to try to intercept them every month! But who knows what this was all about anyway!:confused:

Sajeev
11-19-2008, 04:02 AM
i opened a thread on RCG and posted here too. my card too has been compromised. we may have a source of the leak.

Angler-Hi
11-19-2008, 04:47 AM
i opened a thread on RCG and posted here too. my card too has been compromised. we may have a source of the leak.

So what happened?

HoaRC
11-19-2008, 05:10 AM
So what happened?

with credit card fraud the thieves often sell it to their internet friends where they hang out "credit card swapping" chat rooms.

Angler-Hi
11-19-2008, 02:01 PM
with credit card fraud the thieves often sell it to their internet friends where they hang out "credit card swapping" chat rooms.

Well that sucks. I hope you get it sorted out friend.

crxmanpat
11-19-2008, 11:01 PM
So what happened?Read about it here (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40991).

I just closed my debit card and ordered a new one as I ordered from FMA a few months ago. Nothing on my account yet, but why take the chance?

Sparky Paul
11-20-2008, 02:55 AM
AFter a credit card purchase at an LHS, I discovered I'd filled up my car 3 times in one day, in a city 100 miles away.
I got those charges canceled.
I also found I'd bought some computer equipment in Europe after a botched online purchase.
Those charges were canceled also

Lieutenant Loughead
11-21-2008, 03:35 PM

Anyone else go through this or have any ideas?Have you purchased anything from FMA Direct lately? Their customer database was comprimised, and many of us (myself included) have received several hundred dollars in fradulant charges on our credit cards.

I feel your pain -- let us know if you've purchased anything from FMA Direct...

alienx
11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
I bought a charger from them at some point in the past. But I think it was closer to the beginning of the year or even the end of last year.

Castor
11-29-2008, 03:09 AM
I purchase a charger from FMA Direct in October. First of November my credit card was refused, I called the card company only to find out that someone had been using my card in Michigan. They bought some nudy mags, and a refurbished ipod from the apple store online. I was able to get the name and address of the person that order the ipod from the apple store. The credit card company didn't seem to care. They replaced my card and cancelled the charges. Several weeks later i was notified by email, from FMA, that their CC server was compromised. At least i was able to get closure on where my card number was stolen. FMA offered a discount to offset the trouble they caused. Doesn't help but at least they owned up to the loss of our data.:blah:

Twmaster
11-29-2008, 03:23 AM
Alien...

If those knuckleheads at your bank refuse to remove those charges remind them of the Visa and MasterCard Zero Liability rules.

All you need to do is file a police report and get in your bank's face. They will reverse the charges.

vax6335
11-29-2008, 04:33 PM
I purchase a charger from FMA Direct in October. First of November my credit card was refused, I called the card company only to find out that someone had been using my card in Michigan. They bought some nudy mags, and a refurbished ipod from the apple store online. I was able to get the name and address of the person that order the ipod from the apple store. The credit card company didn't seem to care. They replaced my card and cancelled the charges. Several weeks later i was notified by email, from FMA, that their CC server was compromised. At least i was able to get closure on where my card number was stolen. FMA offered a discount to offset the trouble they caused. Doesn't help but at least they owned up to the loss of our data.:blah:

I would have made a friendly little visit....

alienx
11-30-2008, 06:58 PM
I've been trying to pretend this didn't happen but it keeps getting worse. And not how I figured it would.

Incidentally, I never heard word one back from the officer I filed the report with. He admitted it was a lost cause but said they investigate them anyway. I figured a detective would call at some point, but hasn't.

Oh well, here's my latest issues. The cheapest item was a Pitney Bows postage meter. It cost $50 bucks. It came to my house, I never opened it, and the woman at PB canceled all the accounts (postage by mail account was set up as well). She also sent me a return UPS label. I stuck it on the box and shipped it back from a UPS store, which gladly took the box from me. I guess that was about 7 weeks ago. I never saw a credit back on my CC account (new or old), but never really worried because I didn't pay the charge originally anyway. But it has been nagging me because I figured sooner or later, Chase would be calling to find out where "their" refund is.

About two weeks ago though I got an email from PB saying the had received my return and would be checking to see if I was entitled to a credit of any amount. It was a form email, but I was happy to see at least something had happened, if not quickly. Then, about a week ago, I started getting strange emails from another woman at PB asking me for my correct address so they could close out my account or something. I finally got tired off ignoring them so I called and left her a voicemail saying I had no idea why she was calling me but to call back so we could work it out. I was half worried that someone had seen the original account closed and was trying to change the info, and that is why all of the sudden these contact emails started up again.

Well, she was distrustful of me and wanted to speak personally instead of through email, so we finally spoke. I'm not sure what her capacity was at PB, but she seemed to be in some sort of deadbeat group. Long story short, PB said they never got their machine back, and had finally gotten to the point where they sent my account to a collection agency. I shouldn't even have an account for them to be trying to collect on. It was closed by the very first person i talked to at PB. I started to become angry because nobody at PB seems to talk to anyone else. She had no knowledge of the return, or any history of the case so she could pull the tracking number. And I just moved, so all that paperwork is in a box someplace. So she tells me not to worry, that they didn't report the lateness to the credit companies, only to a collections agency. I didn't think anything of that at the time, or I would have been furious, but two days after this call, I got my first passive/aggressive letter in the mail from some collections agency in California.

Anyway, PB should have never sold any products to the person that used my card, They acknowledged that right from the beginning, but regardless of their good intentions, I am now going to be cleaning up this mess for weeks or months. And I haven't even looped back around to the other two retailers. I guess I should find that paperwork!! Maybe I should find the police report while I am at it.

Just venting! Off to watch the Giants.