PDA

View Full Version : My First Car Was A.......

CHEECH
09-07-2008, 01:02 PM
1979 Chevrolet Scottsdale Stepside Short Bed.

I loved this truck and still do. My father bought this truck brand new in CA, and gave it to me upon my graduating Boot Camp. We stuffed a new GM Goodwrench 350 in it to last another 200,000 miles. It got me to my new duty station from WA to AZ (No AC in the summer). Talk about sucking it up!

I have a lot of history in this truck wich I will get into later in this thread. For now my Old Chevy sits in storage with her frame freshly powder coated, and waiting to get a rolling chaise going.

Tell us about your first car or truck.

Cheech

firemanbill
09-07-2008, 01:39 PM
... And you still have it! How cool is that...

My first car was a 1977 Chevrolet Impala, long since met it's fate with a crusher I'm sure.

FlyingMonkey
09-07-2008, 01:47 PM
1979 Chevy Luv.

Bought it at a little used car/carpet sales place. It had a standard transmission, and taught me a lot about auto repair. Clutch went out on it and a friend had to drive it home. He was able to shift it without the clutch, just by RPMs. Cool trick that I learned later while driving dump trucks.

Here's a picture from the internet, mine was white, not yellow...

http://media.motortopia.com/files/6063/vehicle/46334b9edc472/tn_xlarge_1978_Chevy_Luv_002.jpg

baz49exe
09-07-2008, 01:55 PM
My first car was a 1939 MG TA sports car. You know, cycle type mudguards with crome headlights mounted on a crome radiator, spoked wheels and a petrol tank strapped to the rear of the car. My parents bought it me in 1966 so I wouldn't want to go back on my motorbike after a serious accident. Wish I had it today.

pd1
09-07-2008, 01:59 PM
My fist car was a 1959 Renault Dauphine, with a whopping 30 squirrel power engine.
Claimed 0 to 60 as 37 seconds, they lied.
With four people it wouldn't get to 60.

If the passengers rocked fore and aft, the car would change speed plus or minus 10 MPH.
It too taught me about mechanics.

I think it's rated as one of the worst cars of all time, but I went on dates with my future wife, 42 years ago.
Still married 38 years later.

Paul

idealhobbies
09-07-2008, 02:02 PM
'75 Dodge Dart Swinger!
Engine blew the day before I was going to take it on a 1600 mile trip to South Dakota. Thank God it blew BEFORE I left.

John Seidelman
09-07-2008, 02:33 PM
53 Mercury Convert. Yellow with Black top. Flathead V-8 3 speed on the colum with Overdrive. Started to overhaul the engine when I joined the Navy and then while I was gone Dad had to sell the farm and I lost her.

Grasshopper
09-07-2008, 02:35 PM
My first car was a blue 1970 Volkswagon Beetle. I was working at Long John Silvers when I was 16. When I got home from work, my Mom and Dad pulled in the driveway pulling it on a chain. They said "There's your car. You owe us $580." I was totally excited. Then they said "Oh yeah, and it doesn't run so you'll need to overhaul the engine."

My Dad and I pulled (or dropped) the engine and did a complete overhaul on it. I think the thing I liked about it the most was the totally efficient heater and defroster. ....NOT!

soar-ne
09-07-2008, 03:15 PM
In 1959 at the age of 16 I bought a 1950 Olds 88 2 door coupe, with the Rocket V8 for $225 at the local Pontiac dealer in Lincoln Ne. Had saved my yard work and snow shoveling money for a long time for that beauty. It was blood red except for the top of the fenders which had "faded" out to the grey primer below, but in my eyes it was flawless........About a year later I spun a bearing in the original motor and got a low milage 1956 motor at the junk yard and installed triple dueces with Stromberg 97 carbs and a solid lifter Crower 3 quarter race cam. It would give the late model Chevies (the hot car of the day) a good run and if they spun a tire at the light they were beat. With the old 4 speed hydro you just locked the brakes and brought the revs up to stall speed and nailed it at the green and it did the rest!!!!

Those were the days.........

constantCrash
09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
purchased for $12,000 in 1997 with 40,000 miles, sold for $850 in 2004 with 168,000 and no compression on one cylinder (I was in college and didn't check the oil after letting it sit for 2 months and I think i burnt up cylinder) It had minimal rust on it when i sold it. Just needed a new engine. In retrospect i should have kept it, but I was planning on going to gradschool and didn't have room for 2 vehicles. Then I ended up not going to gradschool. Dohh.

idealhobbies
09-07-2008, 04:32 PM
I think the thing I liked about it the most was the totally efficient heater and defroster. ....NOT!

I've owned 2 of them. Froze my rear off in them, but something about those little cars. The heat exchangers suck except for the person in the back seat.... their feet get nice and toasty! Everyone else freezes.

Wish I had one now for the gas mileage!

Pudknocker71
09-07-2008, 04:48 PM
1984 Buick Regal. Only good thing about was the size of the front and back seats!:$:silly: Damn thing broke down all the time and the doors rusted out. Must have been a northern car.

1320fastback
09-07-2008, 04:54 PM
81 Chevy C-20 454ci was my first vehicle. I just got a 73 Chevy c-20 with a 2 stroke detroit diesel (4-53N)

GreenAce92
09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Well my first truck "will" be a massive blue ford truck, with a 9ft bed in the back. Its all original its not too old probably like 70's i gotta figure out what exact year it is. Its pretty sweet, its big though im kinda afraid to drive it. But its automatic! lol imagine that.

FlyingMonkey
09-07-2008, 09:17 PM
but I went on dates with my future wife, 42 years ago.
Still married 38 years later.

Paul

hmmm...

42, 38, there's 4 years missing in there somewhere...

firemanbill
09-07-2008, 09:27 PM
hmmm...

Ever hear of dating?;-)

crash_out
09-07-2008, 09:27 PM
hmmm...

Maybe that's what marriage does to you?

My first was a 1988 Buick Skyhawk....I hated that car. I didn't want it-I wanted a 1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula. But mom wouldn't let me have a plastic car.

The first car I actually got that I wanted (after the Buick flipped over the front end on an icy road) was a 1989 Ford Mustang LX...hatchback, V-8...sigh. I miss that car. And the LX that replaced it...and the GT that replaced that....Ya know, they didn't get THAT bad gas mileage, other than the fact they'd only run premium.

weathervane
09-08-2008, 12:22 AM
My first car was a 72 Pinto Wagon. I bought it for $100 while I was in high school. I promptly blew-up the engine racing at the local drag strip and had to call my step dad for a tow home. After a summer of working at the gas station extra hours and scrounging I saved enough money to put in a small block V-8. That was 22 years ago. After many miles of being driven hard I restored the car for the 4th time and this is the final outcome as of 3 years ago. I still have it to this day and love it!

-Andrew

crash_out
09-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Dude, that is totally cool...I had the chance to buy one a couple years ago...4 spd 4 cyl, had the little round portal windows on the sides...no rust. Should have bought that thing....

weathervane
09-08-2008, 12:26 AM
I wish you had. I could use some parts.:D

-Andrew

alienx
09-08-2008, 01:04 AM
Boy, lots of different cars!!

I had a hand-me-down late 70's vintage, brown Ford Gran Torino station wagon with wood panels. What great times. I used to trade it to my 15 year old buddy for his Susuki RS175 dirtbike for the day. Man, if my parents ever knew!!!

Rabbitcreekok
09-08-2008, 04:14 AM
My first car was a 1956 Ford two door sedan, V-8 with 3 on the tree. I put flippers on it and someone promptly stole them. Added dual exhaust with glass packs and got my first ticket for them being too loud.

I bought it in 1959 for $400 I think. My parents said I did not need a car in college when I started in 1961, so I sold it. After they made the round trip to Stillwater and back a couple of times to bring me home for the weekend, they gave me a 1956 Dodge Texan with the D-500 motor and a pushbutton automatic. But it had air conditioning. The Ford didn't.

John Seidelman
09-08-2008, 04:20 AM
My second car was a 57 Ply. and had a crash. Then found the buy of my life and paid $50 for a 36 doge 2 door sed. and it burnt more oil than gas per mile. But dependable. Then put it in storage when I went to Nam some guy bought it from me with a 200 dollar profit. Sorry I sold it. It is worth how much NOW?

Firestem4
09-08-2008, 06:30 AM
2004 Chevy 1500 LS. Charcoal Black. I got it 2 years ago on my birthday. My dad and i went to the dealer and we found this truck sitting there. it was a lease turn in with 8,340 miles on it. The dealer was selling it for 20,000. We traded in our 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (after 120,000 miles my dad put on it in 2 years it was starting to break apart.) In the end the dealer took off 2000 because we've been long time customers. We paid 10,000 for my truck.

Its incredible. I love this thing. I'm going to drive it into the ground before i get rid of it. It has dual-climate control, 4.8l Vortec V8 engine. (I've upgraded it with a AEM Brute Force Cold air-intake.) Sounds incredible. If I punch it you can hear it from a 1/4 mile away. I would like to install a Magnaflow Cat-back exhaust system in it but I dont have the money for it.

I would die for a new Challenger though...But i need to see if i can fit in it first. (6'7")....

aviatordave
09-08-2008, 07:15 AM
1974 Pontiac Firebird.

manual 3 speed, the speedometer went to 160 mph. (dont worry about how fast it actually went :))

oh the girls that wanted a ride in that thing....

CHEECH
09-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Boy, lots of different cars!!

I had a hand-me-down late 70's vintage, brown Ford Gran Torino station wagon with wood panels.

Durring college I accuired a 1987 Caprice station wagon. I got it from JAL (Japan Air Lines) over there in Moses Lake, WA. The only thing it was used for was to Ferry the Japanies crews from the hangar to the golf course. It had a cool Callaway 7 Iron for a shifter on the steering wheel. Nice car always hangared.

Pain in the but having an Oldsmobile engine in a Chevy. I sold it a while back, and sad to say it joined its other brothers and sisters in the usuall death of these type of cars.

Fourth of July Demo Dirby. R.I.P. old buddy.:{

Cheech

BradT
09-08-2008, 08:32 AM
My first wheels, after driving Dad's cars during high school, was a '51 Meteor (Canadian Ford) 2 dr. coupe, flathead V8, 3 on the tree, bought in '63 for $95. Given a long enough straight stretch of road, it would eventually reach 100 mph! In '65, it blew a rad hose miles from anywhere in the mountains, and by the time I got it home, even after stopping to refill the water where ever I could find any, the motor was cooked, though just barely running. Took it to a used car lot, where the only salesman on duty was almost falling-over drunk, and traded it and $100 for a '57 Pontiac coupe. In the decades since, I've had many interesting cars, good and bad, and quite a few of those would be worth a small fortune nowadays.
Brad.

CHEECH
09-08-2008, 10:04 AM
1979 Chevy Luv.

Bought it at a little used car/carpet sales place. It had a standard transmission, and taught me a lot about auto repair. Clutch went out on it and a friend had to drive it home. He was able to shift it without the clutch, just by RPMs. Cool trick that I learned later while driving dump trucks.

Here's a picture from the internet, mine was white, not yellow...

http://media.motortopia.com/files/6063/vehicle/46334b9edc472/tn_xlarge_1978_Chevy_Luv_002.jpg

You dont see these on the road much. A buddy of mine had a baby blue one. Great truck.

CHEECH
09-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Fellow Watt Flyer's

I know what you had, and what you really always wanted is few and far between. Especially now a days with old cars going for outrageous prices.(Thanks for nothing Barrett/Jackson)!

If I could do it again when I first got my licence in 1993. This would be it!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1316/982387597_834b456dd7.jpg?v=0

Cheech

CHEECH
09-08-2008, 10:32 AM
We do have one of these lying around in the garage. But Im not much of a Mopar Man. Still a fun car when I was a kid. Now it just collects dust in one of our garages.

http://www.goodwinc.com/chris/chris/Images/cars/Plymouth/1969%20GTX.jpg

Cheech

swapdaddyxx1
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Geez, Cheech, let me get that nasty old "Gitix" out of your way! Trailer is waiting!
My first was a 51 ford convertible in 1955. Don't know how many times I replaced the heads, didn't know what a torque wrench was, or that you were supposed to follow a sequence in tighting the bolts. I guess it was pretty tough tho to have survived the treatment it got. Many times after a cracked head, I would drain more water than oil out of the pan, replace the heads, fill the pan with kerosene and let it idle to clean the water and crud out before replacing the oil. For a flathead, it was as fast as most of its kind, but a flathead ford six and a little 50 plymouth fastback belonging to a friend would clean my clock regulary. I paid $750 for the ford, my buddy paid $50 for the plymouth. You could look down thru the floor of the plymouth and see the street. He beat a lot of cars he wasn't supposed to beat. A short time later, I went to mopars and never looked back.
I know at times they have had some quality problems with the bodies, But overall they build the toughest drive trains I have ever seen. I can drive them longer, harder, and for less money than anything else.
I drove a number of GM cars as company cars when I was working, but never had one I thought I would want to own.

firemanbill
09-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Well if we are goint to talk about moving and later on and such...

I went from My Impala to a Cutlass Supreme. Totalled it and believe it or not got my first VW. I have owned one pretty much ever since then. These are two of my current babies.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/vwragtopguy/july42004parade.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/vwragtopguy/DSC00155.jpg

here's another

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/vwragtopguy/IMAG0021.jpg

I can honestly say I have my dream car (truck). I have always wanted one of these and now I have it.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/vwragtopguy/80046A.jpg

fr4nk1yn
09-08-2008, 04:15 PM
My first car was a 1973 Chevy Vega.
It had 3 bald bias ply tires, I put a radial on one side. Old timers wanna tell the young guys what a "bias ply" is and what happens when you put a radial on the same axle? (:

I Drove the car to NYC 9 times.
I left the keys in the hatch once and didn't realize it for about 8 hours. No one touched it.
Speaking of the hatch I would routinely take it off and pile people in the back.

Here's some Vega trivia: There's a sticker on the back of the driver's sunvisor warning not to idle the engine for more than 1 minute.
The reason is they used an aluminum block with aluminum pistons with no steel sleeve as typically done.

The engine finally locked up on me after lots of driving, and idling.

aviatordave
09-08-2008, 04:31 PM
I never understood that AL engine concept. Our family had the pontiac version of the Vega called the 'Astre'. anyone remember that? I believe they used a different engine, the 4 cylnder 151 ci. We got 200k on that car, same engine & tranny.

firemanbill
09-08-2008, 05:50 PM
My dad was a Sales MAnager for a Chevrolet dealer for many years.

He said the Vegas were awful hard to sell since the majority of them had rust showing through the paint sitting on the showroom floor!:(

darylm44
09-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Mine was a 1954 Plymouth station wagon that my dad had used for several years as a painters truck. Took a long time to sand out all the paint splatters and repaint it. It had something in the gas tank that would clog the line regularly and I would have to get out with a tire iron and tap on the line to get the gas flowing again. My wife and I still laugh when we think about that car.

But it got me to college and back every day.

Rabbitcreekok
09-08-2008, 09:22 PM
I had a Chevy Vega and a Corvair at different times. I really liked both of them. The Corvair front trunk did not have any kind of carpet, just some kind of rubberized paint. It also had a drain plug in the bottom. You could fill the front with ice and your favorite adult beverage in a can or bottle and go to the lake.

Sold both of them in good running condition.

Lieutenant Loughead
09-08-2008, 09:58 PM
My first car was a blue 1970 Volkswagon Beetle. I was working at Long John Silvers when I was 16.DUDE! You were Brad Hamilton (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0012344/) in the movie Fast Times At Ridgemont High! :cool:

My first car was a 1979 Chevy Nova -- FOUR DOOR. It was white, with blue and white PLAID interior. The chicks really loved it... :rolleyes:

My mother bought it from an 87 year old man, who bought it new, and parked it in his garage for five years... The car still had a bit "new car smell" when I got it!

I drove that car for about 3 years, then went to college... I parked it in the drive way, because I didn't want to have to park it in freshman parking at school (had to walk 10 miles to the parking spot, had to pay for a parking permit, could walk or bum a ride anywhere in town, etcetera)...

LOL -- I never changed the oil in that car... I had to keep buying tires though -- it was out of alignment from all the curbs I ran over... :rolleyes:

Imagine my surprise when I got home several weeks later, and my mother had SOLD my car!!! Wow. Thanks Mom... I didn't even get to take the souped up stereo system out of the car first (probably worth more than the car).

She gave me the cash, and I ended up using that cash to buy a diamond (engagement ring) for my girlfriend... Now, she wears my first car on her finger. :D :cool:

constantCrash
09-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Sorry to hear that ;-)

DUDE! You were Brad Hamilton (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0012344/) in the movie Fast Times At Ridgemont High! :cool:

My first car was a 1979 Chevy Nova -- FOUR DOOR. It was white, with blue and white PLAID interior. The chicks really loved it... :rolleyes:

My mother bought it from an 87 year old man, who bought it new, and parked it in his garage for five years... The car still had a bit "new car smell" when I got it!

I drove that car for about 3 years, then went to college... I parked it in the drive way, because I didn't want to have to park it in freshman parking at school (had to walk 10 miles to the parking spot, had to pay for a parking permit, could walk or bum a ride anywhere in town, etcetera)...

Imagine my surprise when I got home several weeks later, and my mother had SOLD my car!!! Wow. Thanks Mom... I didn't even get to take the souped up stereo system out of the car first (probably worth more than the car).

She gave me the cash, and I ended up using that cash to buy a diamond (engagement ring) for my girlfriend... Now, she wears my first car on her finger. :D :cool:

Lieutenant Loughead
09-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry to hear that ;-)Nah -- actually, I think it's really cool...

You know, they tell you that a good "rule of thumb" is to spend 3 months salary on an engagement ring...

I think a better "rule of thumb" is to use your car as a guide... :D

constantCrash
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
that has to be the coolest wagon i've ever seen. You just don't see blowers sticking through the hood anymore.

My first car was a 72 Pinto Wagon. I bought it for $100 while I was in high school. I promptly blew-up the engine racing at the local drag strip and had to call my step dad for a tow home. After a summer of working at the gas station extra hours and scrounging I saved enough money to put in a small block V-8. That was 22 years ago. After many miles of being driven hard I restored the car for the 4th time and this is the final outcome as of 3 years ago. I still have it to this day and love it!

-Andrew

pd1
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Has anyone thought, ''how much would all the cars I had be worth now?"
Not just one, but all the cars through the years.

This thread made me look up a few, If only I kept them.

Paul

firemanbill
09-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Tell me about it Paul... Not so much myself but I remember my Grandad's cars... WOW... A 1950 Buick Special with the big 'ol straight 8, Early Chevy Impala's and Bel Airs and such. My Dad's '69 Stingray, '66 Mustang Vert...

Oh to have a tenth of what they would all be worth today!::o

Lieutenant Loughead
09-08-2008, 10:32 PM
LOL -- mine? Let's see -- www.nadaguides.com (http://www.nadaguides.com) says:

1979 Chevy Nova (not listed -- too old)
1991 Acura Integra ($3,000)
1999 Ford Expedition ($5,500)
That's a grand total of $8,500. :rolleyes:

firemanbill
09-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Here is a cool link for older cars

www.manheimgold.com

What it list my dad's old vette for... in fair condition

COUPE/CONV (196 mfd) 1968-69 427/430 V8 120,000:eek::(

constantCrash
09-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Technically, my first car was a Jeep renegade I was 12. It had no dashboard, no floor, no doors, but it had a big V8 and a plow. I used it to plow the driveway at our cabin/farm. My 2nd car was a Chevy Luv truck (sky blue) age 15. Both went with the Cabin when we sold it. I don't consider ether to be my "first" because i didn't have a a license yet

As for old cars I wish my dad would have kept his Shelby Cobra. I guess my grandma made him sell it because it was to dangerous.

And of course i was joking about the ring thing. As a recently engaged person I think that's actually a very good use for the money.

pd1
09-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Most of the cars I had were well used before I got them.
I rarely kept one for more than a year before I resold it for a "better" one.
Renault Caravelle now some weird cult classic $ 11,000.
I got it for the effort of getting it a persons property.
Triumph GT 6 now $ 11,000.
I won't go into the SAAB Sonnet II, Alfa Romeo, Spitfire's and TR 7.
Still have the Jag E-Type though.

Paul

CHEECH
09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Mine was a 1954 Plymouth station wagon that my dad had used for several years as a painters truck. Took a long time to sand out all the paint splatters and repaint it. It had something in the gas tank that would clog the line regularly and I would have to get out with a tire iron and tap on the line to get the gas flowing again. My wife and I still laugh when we think about that car.

But it got me to college and back every day.

That is pretty funny man. Durring college the clutch went out on my 79 Chevy. Thank goodness they made the starters so strong. To get going I would put it in first then start the motor and on my way I went.

I sometimes got lucky and hit all the lights on green. If not I would have to turn the motor off and start all over again. Durring break I finally changed that clutch. Starter is still good.

Cheech

EpoweredRc
09-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Mine was when I was about 16 1/2 and I got a 1979 Mecury Capri ( looks like a ford mustang but driffrent front and rear end(lights))
it had a stright six 300 (inline six) auto in it no exhaust when I got it and my mom made me get some put on it within a week. but they was something missing on the exhust and you could pull the plug out of the hole and it would sound like a V8 used to do that sometimes everyone really thought it was a V8 and wanted to always race, I didn't I was a good kid.

I thought I had pic on disk of it but its not working but i found a couple online of what mine pretty much looked like when I got it then after I painted it. got it for $400 from a friend of mine that car 5 driffrent people I was friends with including myself owned that car. Everyone agreed it looked the best when I owned it.

Since I have owed way to many.

1974 Ford E-100 van (was dads brand new the grandpas then he sold to me) motor over heated and cracked the block.

1969 Ford F-100 ( brakes went out at a 3 way stop crossed two lanes traffic and went off a 50-75 foot drop)

1994 Dodge Dakota (traded it in for something bigger)

1994 Dodge Caravan( for a week then trans went out traded in for next)

1994 Mazda B2200 ext cab ( I loved that truck till I hydroplaned on I-20 and hit a honda pasport, insurance paid cash for repairs but I got my next car and sold the truck for like $1500.00 wrecked.

1984 Pontiac Sunbird 4 door ( cool car but ended up buying another Mazda and sold this to a gfs mom.

1991 Mazda B2200 Ext cab Lowrider ( loved this truck till wiring caught on fire on way home one night)

1993 Ford Mustang (drove for about 3 yrs traded in for next one)

1999 Ford Ranger Ext cab (clutch was going out, sold to car max)

1996 S-10 blazer ( this is my daily driver 4 yrs now, longest I ever had anything 205,000 minles now had 174,000 when got it.

Also owned a 1985 Chevette cause a friend owed money for me fixing her other car and her dad made her give me the chevette that thing drove like crap, Sold it for $200.00

I had another 1969 F-100 also got from current gf dads tryed fix up sale but no one wanted it sold for crap a while back no bed to it.

about a yr ago I got a 1996 Saturn from a friend who needed the money $500.00 and I put in heater core sold car about month later for $800.00

Now I also own a 1976 C-10 Pick up trying to redo it its just a haul junk off type of truck V-8 I have redone and like to sell when get a paint job on it. totally redone the engine.

Yes I love to work on cars, I work with a buddy restoring old one, Will add another post for car we just done.

EpoweredRc
09-09-2008, 01:39 AM
1969 Camaro We tore just about all way down and redone, new inside,paint,added AC and power brakes, its really nice, Do not have a pic of all way together but you get the idea. this only took 2 months. and about 15,000 we done it for a guy who was giving the car to his 16 year old son. LUCKY BOY.

Rabbitcreekok
09-09-2008, 03:06 AM
Triumph GT 6 now $ 11,000.
I won't go into the SAAB Sonnet II, Alfa Romeo, Spitfire's and TR 7.
Still have the Jag E-Type though.

Paul

I had a Saab Sonnet II and a Spitfire also. The Sonnet got hit in the side by a van and my insurance company totaled it since all the plastic parts had to come from Sweden for repairs.

The Spitfire was bad to wear out rear wheel bearings. I replaced one at great expense and when the other one began to give up, I sold the car.

I really wanted a GT 6 after the Spitfire, but gave up on Lucas and English cars.

Lieutenant Loughead
09-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Triumph GT 6Paul -- you're my new best friend. :) This is the car I grew up in -- my mother bought it when I was an infant, and kept it until I was in college. It caught on fire twice. It broke down more times than I can count -- and it was in the shop more than it was in our driveway.

But that GT6 was fun. Mom's was a blue hardtop.

pd1
09-09-2008, 12:12 PM
My Saab Sonnet had the windshield wiper motor give out.
There was no access to the motor, the body had to be cut and a new motor was prohibitively expensive.
I promptly sold it to the guy who owned the auto parts store.

I had three Triumph Spitfires, I could change an engine or transmission in an afternoon.
I had a lot of practice.

After I added a bunch of ground wires and soldered the connections on the wire lugs I never had any problem with the electrics.

The car I miss most was the GT-6. I really liked that one. It was like a mini Jag.
Now they're too expensive, and I don't think I am flexible enough to get in one anymore.

Guy, you have good taste in cars.

Paul

TLyttle
09-17-2008, 06:13 AM
First car was a '50 Prefect (English Ford) 28 gerbil-power, it was impossible to get $2 worth of gas into it. Then came the 53 Merc pigup and a flathead that would not die. I became addicted to Morris Minors for 30 years and the 40mpg; the last one (65 ragtop) ran for 200,000 miles+, and it really hurt to sell it...

My big passion was Packards though, and I owned a few of them: big, quiet, strong, and comfortable, but not near as nimble as the Minor!

crxmanpat
09-18-2008, 12:49 AM
My first was a 1974 Ford Gran Torino Station Wagon. This was the fully loaded version, power everything (brakes, windows, locks, front bench seat, rear tailgate window), and even had a pop up seating area in the cargo section. I started driving it when I was a Junior, and would literally take 20 people to lunch with me. It was brown (tan, sand brown, whatever) with dark brown faux wood paneling. And for a station wagon, it was fast!

Right after that was 2 separate Pintos (I went from super-size to kids meal :p>). The first was an auto, but the second was a 4-speed. These cars got a bad rap. I loved both of them, but the 4-speed was the most fun to drive. I also had a '77 280Z (back when it was still Datsun) and an '88 CRX Si (my first "new" car).

I liked the CRX so much that I vowed if I ever found one in great condition, I'd buy it. Well, I found it 3 years ago. 1990 CRX Si with only 99K miles, garage kept, no rust, pretty much in mint condition. It's now my daily driver and I have put 50K on it in 3 years (60 miles round trip to work will do that). But I only use 10 gals per week, and laugh at the SUVs and minivans when I fill up. I love this car.

The pic of the wagon is just one I found on the net for illustration. The pic of the CRX is mine. And yes, that's a B-25 in the background. :D

MaxAdventure
09-18-2008, 12:58 AM
First car I drove, the one I learned on: '54 Willys wagon. It sits in my back yard right now, I hope to have it licensed on the road next summer.

First car that was 'mine' to drive, '69 Saab 95. crazy with the free-wheel and 4 speed on the tree.

First car that was in my name, the one I think of as MY FIRST, '79 scirocco with an updated engine. Started my VAG love affair that has brought me, 5 scirocco, 2 GTi, and 3 Audi later to lust for a '95 Audi S4 these days.

TLyttle
09-18-2008, 03:08 AM
Yeah, I have two buddies who are Pinto worshipers. One of the still has his V6 Bobcat, uses it for a daily driver regardless of its rarity!

I never got along with German cars: my idea of the perfect VW beetle has to do with dune buggy conversions. Others I have driven (Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, etc) I didn't buy, couldn't find the rhythm of the technology, they had no "soul".

quadracer111
09-26-2008, 03:49 AM
'75 Dodge Dart Swinger!
Engine blew the day before I was going to take it on a 1600 mile trip to South Dakota. Thank God it blew BEFORE I left.
I LOVE mopars! My dream car is a 73 Hemi cuda in yellow or a black 68-69-70 hemi charger with chrome trim :$:$:$:$:$:$

Old Fart
09-26-2008, 04:55 PM
First car was a '65 Chevelle Malibu Super Sport. Started off with a 283 and a powerglide, finished off with a 396 and the powerglide had a Vega converter.

mizzouHHR
09-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Mine was a 1974 Ford Pinto Station Wagon. Yea, it's tough to pick up girls in that :Q One good thing about it, it never blew up, even though I rolled it trying to avoid a deer. My dad passed down his 1968 ford Pickup, and then I decided it was time to buy a real car, and bought a 1977 Trans Am SE. One should NEVER go from a Pinto to a Trans AM.

Lieutenant Loughead
09-26-2008, 07:59 PM
...and they called him "The Bandit"...

Old Fart
09-26-2008, 08:06 PM
And he had a big floppy eared dog...

crxmanpat
09-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Man, lot's of former Pinto owners here! I saw a Pinto wagon on the road last week, and I still occassionally see a hatchback running around town.

mizzouHHR
09-26-2008, 09:13 PM
...and they called him "The Bandit"...

Actually it was the black and gold Smokey and the Bandit Special Edition. That's the one car I would love to have today with the money it would take to restore it. Problem was it came from Wisconsin, and was quite rusty underneath. The body wasn't bad at all but he floor pans were nearly rusted all the through, and in the back seats, you could see the road beneath your feet in one spot. I told everyone that's why it was so fast, it didn't have much steel left in her, so she was really light :D That car ran like a bat out of hell, and that's the way I drove her.:Q

mizzouHHR
09-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Man, lot's of former Pinto owners here! I saw a Pinto wagon on the road last week, and I still occassionally see a hatchback running around town.

I don't usually admit to owning a pinto, but truth be told, it was a great starter car, and ran pretty well without causing problems.

CHEECH
09-26-2008, 10:05 PM
First car was a '65 Chevelle Malibu Super Sport. Started off with a 283 and a powerglide, finished off with a 396 and the powerglide had a Vega converter.

Nice!:ws: Another BowTie.

Rabbitcreekok
09-26-2008, 11:59 PM

You see them because, in all other parts of the US, they have totally rusted away.

crxmanpat
09-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Yep! That's why I'm glad I found my 1990 CRX here. Not a single bit of rust to be found anywhere!

phupper
09-27-2008, 12:19 AM
1962 Chevy Nova, handed down to me from my sister.
Straight 6 cylinder with "3-on-the-tree" (3 speed column shift). Raced it "for pinks" against a friend and won. I didn't take his car, but I think he would have taken mine. I ran that car into the ground...

Good thread, thanks for the memories!

dumpsterjay
09-27-2008, 04:55 AM
I started driving in 1955, and my first car was a 1951 Henry J. 4cylinder, 3 on the tree w/overdrive. It was a pretty nice car but not a lot of power.

Jim

soar-ne
09-27-2008, 04:19 PM
dumpsterjay:
Our family had a little baby blue 1951 Henry J (moms car). One of her favorite stories about the little car was when she, my aunt and my brother and I drove from western Nebraska to Portsmouth Ohio, to visit my grandmother, about 1000 miles. She allways said it cost $5 dollars for gas to get there. My brother and I many years later checked her story out and if she started with a full tank and gas was 20-25 cents a gallon, she probably wasnt blowing smoke at us!!!!
My friends and I used to "barrow" Henry when the folks went out for the evening and drive through the alleys of our town with out any lights on of course. One night we were out and I looked up in the rear view mirror to see a dark blue Chrysler on my bumper, It was Pop and Mom.
She was laughing but the Old Man had a different scense of humor and didnt find it funny untill years later. I payed for that one!!!!!
I used to draw pictures of Henry with a blown Chrysler in it as a teenager just like the gassers of the 60s & 70s. Wish I had it now....

Bob

Rinyotsu
09-27-2008, 04:44 PM
2002 Saturn L200
Its looks nice for a car that has been in the country for as long as I know.
Cleaned it up, couldn't tell it had been in the country, til I went back to the country to let my brother change my oil at make a steal off me for $50 (20 for him, 30 for the oil). I will get a pic up soon.

dumpsterjay
09-27-2008, 07:51 PM
dumpsterjay:
Our family had a little baby blue 1951 Henry J (moms car). One of her favorite stories about the little car was when she, my aunt and my brother and I drove from western Nebraska to Portsmouth Ohio, to visit my grandmother, about 1000 miles. She allways said it cost $5 dollars for gas to get there. My brother and I many years later checked her story out and if she started with a full tank and gas was 20-25 cents a gallon, she probably wasnt blowing smoke at us!!!!
My friends and I used to "barrow" Henry when the folks went out for the evening and drive through the alleys of our town with out any lights on of course. One night we were out and I looked up in the rear view mirror to see a dark blue Chrysler on my bumper, It was Pop and Mom.
She was laughing but the Old Man had a different scense of humor and didnt find it funny untill years later. I payed for that one!!!!!
I used to draw pictures of Henry with a blown Chrysler in it as a teenager just like the gassers of the 60s & 70s. Wish I had it now....

Bob

Bob,
I believe that your mother could have drove that Henry J from Neb to Ohio on $5 worth of gas, I know that I didn't spend a lot of money on gas.

The henry J wasn't too popular with the guys I ran around with (It just wasn't a "cool" car according to them) But I liked it and it got me from point A to point B without any problems.

A bunch of us guys and gals were out at the North Lake Shelter house one evening and being in the fall of the year, the breeze blowing off of the lake was quite chilly, so I said I'd drive over to the woodpile and get some wood for the fireplace in the shelter house and we could build a fire. Well,, when I started to back up to the wood pile, I didn't see a small tree on the right side of the car and ran into it and broke the tail light.

Shortly after that happened I was out to Burris Trailer sales where I'd bought the car(BTW I paid $125 for it)and the woman that had previously owned it was there, when she saw the busted tail light, I thought she was going to have a heart attack, you would've thought I'd committed a capital offense. I hope that I never become that attached to a car.

I later found a tail light in a salvage yard, after much searching. There just wasn't a lot of Henry J's around.

Thinking about my first car brings back a lot of fond memorys.

Jim:)

max2112
09-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Well I learned to drive on a '59 Chevrolet Apache. That was one tough truck.

But the 1st car I could call my own was a 1979 Thunderbird. Igot it from my brother when he joined the army. It was a tank and a gas guzzler, but it had a high pimp factor!:D

here's a pic from the 'net.
http://images.traderpub.net/img/dealer/duffy/duffy0012348200110_1.jpg

decolvin
09-27-2008, 10:58 PM
My first car was a 1960 Chevy Bel Aire. It had a 283ci V8 with a 2 speed Slip & Slide (Powerglide) transmission. Bought it for $50.00. Had no front seat or headliner in it. I bolted a lawn chair to the floor to drive it home. Mom cried when she seen it. Spent the next three months fixing it up. Drove it for two years & sold it for $200.00.

Duck
09-28-2008, 01:44 AM
69 Econoline 100, shag carpet wood panelling, the works. I sure do miss those days.

decolvin
09-28-2008, 04:32 AM
Found a pic of my '60 Chevy. Thought I'd throw it in here. A whole lotta great memories in that huge back seat! Wink!

K CLOSE
10-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Had a few cars before I could drive to flip and make $. My first car 'tho was a '73 Triumph Spitfire, green with black. Had the hardtop too. When I bought it the oil filter was screwed onto the block-OK except it was only a piece in the trunk. Took a gold in the Olympic rod throw.:Q Passed my road test in it on the day the shuttle Challenger blew up.
Got a 'spit 'cause of all Dads cars, and he had a BUNCH, I loved his '68 GT6 best...But I wanted a convertable, hence the 'Spit.

TLyttle
10-01-2008, 02:38 AM
Loved the Spit and the GT6; hated the built-in rust that came with them...

1320fastback
10-01-2008, 05:17 AM
My first CAR was a 1968 Ford Mustang fastback: 289, TCI C4, SSBC disc brakes, ect. (still got it too).

1320fastback
10-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Found a old pic from a few years ago.

CHEECH
10-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Thinking about my first car brings back a lot of fond memorys.Jim:)

Thats exacty why I started this thread Jim. I enjoy reading everyones own experience with thier first or second or third ride. Good Times!

Cheech

CHEECH
10-01-2008, 12:16 PM
My first CAR was a 1968 Ford Mustang fastback: 289, TCI C4, SSBC disc brakes, ect. (still got it too).

Sounds like a future Eleanor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbTwasiBKs8

Cheech:tc:

Voyager2lcats
10-01-2008, 04:11 PM
weathervane, my first car was a '72 Pinto automatic (122 cc engine) my dad bought used from someone for $1,500. He got taken. I told him not to buy it- that the '72 Mustang (any kind!) was better. I read Road & Track and Consumer Reports when I was 16, so I knew it was a POS. The wagon and the Bobcat were better versions. I shared it with my older brother- who wrecked it several times. Before he did, it never could accelerate without sounding like some giant spring wasn't going to break. It had air-conditioning but it was really a heater to cool off the engine! Never worked. It never felt good knowing that rear fuel tank was essentially a bomb in a rear end collision. It ate oil, the water pump failed, the cam shaft and crank shaft both had to be replaced; shall I go on?:rolleyes: My dad eventually sold it to some unsuspecting parents whose daughter used it for college(!!!). I told him he was unscrupulous. That went over like a lead balloon, but he did buy a '78 Dodge Omni 5-door (hatchback) to replace it. Now that was a great little car!:) Reliable, smooth shifting automatic transmission, great gas mileage (35 MPG). No comparison to the 19 MPG the Pinto got. Yuck!

-Andrew

BEC
10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Interesting skimming.

My first car was a 1972 Mazda Rx-2 sedan - dark blue with a black vinyl interior - toasty in south central New Mexico in the summer! I got it used as a Jr. in college in 1976 after getting around on small motorcycles up to that point. I drove it for quite a few years - well into my Boeing career. It had over 210,000 miles on it when we sold it. It has been severely rear-ended and was in need of its third engine rebuild (those early rotaries lasted about 70000 miles and cost about $600 to rebuild back then) by that time. I still miss it badly though feeding it these days at about 17 mpg average in mixed driving it probably wouldn't be my daily driver if I still had it. There is nothing like driving a Wankel-engined car.

My current daily driver is a 1988 Mazda 323 hatchback that I bought new. It's coming up on 293,000 miles on the original engine and has survived all three of our older kids driving it on a regular basis (but I have it back now). Still gives me 32-35 mpg in daily use.

phupper
10-01-2008, 11:44 PM
"survived all three of our older kids driving it on a regular basis"

By any chance, is there a "plastic Jesus" on the dashboard?

powerlines
10-01-2008, 11:59 PM
My first car/truck.. Was a

1984 Nissan 4x4 pickup truck.. I found out the reason they called them a PickUp Truck.. HE HE!!

LATER

K CLOSE
10-07-2008, 06:52 AM

:QBet he does, and I further wager it's the size 'o that one down in Rio....:Q

PS. It's really cool how many Wattheads dug GT-6's. Not a common car by anyones standards. Weird, I was always a Triumph guy but somehow ended up with all MGs. Still own my second car-73 MGB, along with a BGT and a couple of project MGAs. Never did find that TR250 I always was searching for...

Slowjohn
10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Dad and I looked at several sports cars starting when I was 14. Then he comes up with this ' 61 Ford Falcon, :{ ugly four door, 6 cyl., 3 on the tree. No AC out in W. Texas :(. I hated that car, light blue color with primer gray hood & right front fender. We couldn't keep a tranny in it, dad always swore I was trying to speed shift it during races :blah:, against what I wouldn't know. If I went anywhere I'd park the thing & ride with one of my buddies. I tried to blow the engine one time but all it'd do was float the valves :mad:. I almost couldn't hide my elation when dad took my keys for getting my second speeding ticket in 9 months. I was so happy inside to not have to be seen in that ugly car anymore :D The real kick in the pants was that he'd bought it with the money I'd saved from mowing yards for 2 summers. Half of what I made went into a savings acct. and I had a pretty good bit saved up. The next car was a darn site better though. Wish I still had it, a '64-1/2 Mustang Conv. Hi-Po 289 Top Loader 4 speed manual shift. Didn't get any speeding tickets in it and it ran hard too :ws::D:D

Standing By,
SJ

BEC
10-07-2008, 11:39 PM

Nope. Interesting thought, though....

Duck
10-08-2008, 04:23 AM
My first car/truck.. Was a

1984 Nissan 4x4 pickup truck.. I found out the reason they called them a PickUp Truck.. HE HE!!

LATER

I had one of those, an 81, with the 2.2 hemi. 31" tires, rollcage, and 9000 lb winch.
It wasn't my first but it was one of my favorites. I had a heck of a time keeping a body on it though,
It true. the ladies always did like to go for a chew through the countryside.

dk_aero
10-08-2008, 05:28 AM
First car was a '64 VW bug. I bought off a drunk when I was 15 (didn't have a license). He'd painted all the tires white and the passenger seat was a lawn chair bolted to the pan. I had to have my dad drive it home... He was NOT happy! :mad:

Alpea42
10-08-2008, 06:58 AM
A 1962 Mercury Monteray with the electric rear window. Could put a 6' glider wing in thru that window and let it hang out the back. Think the rear doors were suicide doors can't remember tho.

quadracer111
10-08-2008, 07:42 PM
well, im going to get my first car soon, its going to be a 79 firebird trans am, or a 69 charger ( i wish). With my new job at the co-op its $1000 a month for me!

quadracer111
10-08-2008, 07:42 PM
First car was a '64 VW bug. I bought off a drunk when I was 15 (didn't have a license). He'd painted all the tires white and the passenger seat was a lawn chair bolted to the pan. I had to have my dad drive it home... He was NOT happy! :mad:
:Q

Duck
10-09-2008, 02:05 AM
well, im going to get my first car soon, its going to be a 79 firebird trans am, or a 69 charger ( i wish). With my new job at the co-op its $1000 a month for me!

Had a 75 Trans Am. Briefly, 455 H.O. 4 speed.

Had a 76 Charger too, I liked that car, but the body was beat and it kept throwing pinion yokes. it was a strong 360 4 BBL auto car, with "shift kit in a can" (type F) " in it. I sold it for 200.00 buck (minus mags and tires, and chrome goodies) 20 yrs ago, and the guy never touched it. I had a chance to get it back for free, when it got impounded, but didn't have a place for it.

Oh well

Oh BTW, I really don't miss the gas guzzling pigs that much, not nowdays at5 bucks a gallon.

quadracer111
10-09-2008, 04:45 AM
Dream car = 1973 dodge hemi cuda :):):)

quadracer111
10-09-2008, 04:46 AM
Yumm :silly::silly::silly:
http://www.moparpowerclub.com/steve_hs_1973_cuda.jpg

quadracer111
10-09-2008, 04:49 AM
https://www.holley.com/data/VirtualShow/Pictures/Large2058%212007-5-1%219H0M32S.jpg
I HAVE TO CHANGE MY UNDER WARE!

quadracer111
10-09-2008, 04:50 AM
Creamed my jeans...
https://www.holley.com/data/VirtualShow/Pictures/Large2058%212007-5-1%219H3M33S.jpg