PDA

View Full Version : Hangar Flying

pd1
09-10-2008, 11:14 PM
When I was growing up I hung around an old airport.
When the weather was bad, everyone just gathered in the hangar and told stories of days gone by.
That was the age old tradition of Hangar flying.

Usually involved something stupid or dumb or just plain unlucky.
Stories about pilots getting lost, or landing at the wrong airport, or brushes with the FAA were always good for a laugh.

Everyone has to have some story or witnessed some stupid pilot trick.

Throwing the transmitter instead of the plane, watching the battery fall out and still trying to control the model or taking off and having the engines quit on a full scale.

It can be about model aviation, or full sized.
Just add a story, lighthearted is best.
Only requirement, story has to be truthful, no pure fiction.

Paul

pd1
09-10-2008, 11:21 PM
One day Dick was teaching this young lady to fly a model.
They had a buddy box and as the day progressed Dick had to "save " the plane less and less.

On the last flight, The student was doing so well that Dick collapsed the antenna on the transmitter he had, shut it off and removed the cord to let her fly herself.
He returned to the pit area as a call went out that she had "lost" control.

Dick had the transmitter, she only had the now non functional buddy box.

You can guess the rest.

Paul

pd1
09-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Full sized fun.
I used to teach aerobatic in a Decathlon. One day a friend of mine asked me if I would do a loop with him on board.

Off we went, he didn't ask what a loop was, he only asked that I do one.
As we started up through the vertcal he let out a yell.
I though it was exuberance.

He was expecting a roll, he got the names mixed up.
Scared the liver out of him.

Paul

Liquidity
09-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Fun. Ok I have 2 for you.. Here is the first

1) I was working on my PPL up in atlanta at what should have been a class C airport. It was a controlled class D. The airport code is PDK. I am on the ground with my instructor and I call up the tower asking permission to taxi out. The tower replies, Cessna 999XX (I do not remember the plane I was in) followed by a whole slew of information.
Me: Peachtree tower please repeat
Tower: blah blah blah (extremely fast, or it was at the time)
Me: Tower please say again.
Tower: blah blah blah (I still can not get it all)
Me: Peachtree tower, I was born in the south and live in the south. I speak slow, therefor I understand slow. SAY AGAIN
Tower: Blah blah blah in a very saracastic tone.
(I understood it, but boy was my instructor rolling)

Liquidity
09-11-2008, 01:34 AM
This is the second, and by far the best.

I am flying back in PDK from the training area, or a cross country.

Before entering PDKs airspace, I call up the tower.

Me: peachtee tower, cessna 999xx, blah blah blah
Tower: Cessna 999xx say altitude
Me: AL-TI-Tude
Tower: Silence for a moment. Continues commands

I land, park the airplane, and walk into the flight academy. They academy has a radio they can monitor all their planes. Oh boy was I in trouble for that.

I would do it again though. :)

crosborne
09-11-2008, 01:38 AM
LOL, I never get tired of hearing that one.

CHEECH
09-11-2008, 02:38 AM
I was executing multiple touch and goes on 32R at KMWH in a Beach-19 with an instructor. At the same time a C-17 was on final on 27, wich was a taxiway, turned into a tactical landing strip to sharppen the Airfarces short feild skills.

Tower told the Heavy to stay East of 32R if the landing could'nt be made. Tower told the Globemaster the same instructions like 3 more times. So there we are on my last touch and go when to my right the window filled up with a dark grey mass.

I broke Down and to the Left leveling out just above the deck. The C-17 broke Hard right and Up. We were so close that I could hear those 4 massive engines whining with all there might.

If you ask me ATC should have never put me in that situation. They were counting on the skills of the "Better" Airforce pilot to complete the landing never taking into account the "What If". That little blonde female instructor was on the phone 5 minutes after shutdown chewin some ATC @$$.

http://img.airnav.com/aptdiag/w240/01952.gif

Cheech

pd1
09-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Pease AFB in New Hampshire went civilian. Changed their name to Portsmouth International.
The controllers stayed on and so did the Air National Guard.

On every landing military controllers say," gear down and locked".
One day I was in a 150 and replied gear down and welded.
They didn't like that one bit, no sir not one bit.

CHEECH
09-11-2008, 02:45 AM
KYUM is the same way. Best place to fly if your learning. All sorts of traffic to simmulate the Big Airports.

Cheech

Lieutenant Loughead
09-11-2008, 02:47 AM
My father and grandfather were both pilots. They also liked to fish and camp, and would jump in an airplane and fly until they saw a good place to land -- and stay the night...

So, Dad and GrandDad get in the Cessna, and head out... They fly towards the Gulf of Mexico, and find a small island with a clearing... They make several passes over the island, to inspect the clearing -- they saw stakes in the ground, at the edge of the clearing, and were certain it was a runway...

So, they began their landing. Only, something was different -- as they passed the point where they expected the tires to touch down, they didn't!

The airplane began to sway back and forth... It dug into the mud violently, and flipped upside down. Dad told me that being upside down is a strange feeling -- you can't put your hands or feet anywhere to support yourself, because the airplane wasn't designed with that in mind... You just have to unbuckle, and fall on your head!

As they crawled out of the airplane, they realized there were in a heap of trouble. What they thought was a runway was actually a Texas A&M agricultural experiment -- the stakes in the ground were markers for the experiment. The mud looked solid, because sand had blown across the mud. The airplane was sunk pretty deep in the mud, and my father and grandfather could not flip the airplane over again... Even if they could, the prop was badly bent out of shape!

To make matters worse, they didn't know their final destination, so nobody knew where they were! AND, their radio didn't work!

So, they spent the night on the island. They heard all kinds of strange animals approach the airplane -- all night long.

The next day, people at home started missing them. Later that day, the civil air patrol (mostly made up of my father and grandfather's friends) began searching for them... The day passed, without anyone finding them...

Another night on the island was in store for my father and grandfather...

The next day, water was short on the island... They began to worry.

However, the Civil Air Patrol managed to find them! Now, this pilot was a friend of my grandfather (and father). He made several passes over the island, and saw the scar that the airplane had left in the mud -- so he knew what he was dealing with.

He made a graceful landing, and told my father and grandfather to go on without him -- he would stay with the airplane, and they could send someone back for him. Before they left, the man took some tools out of his airplane, and the three of them managed to flip the airplane over again...

The CAP pilot was able to remove the prop, stick it in the mud, bend it back to shape, and FLY THE AIRPLANE OFF THE ISLAND!!! :eek:

My grandfather always said he was going to write a book about all his flight experiences (including crashing several REAL P-38's)... Unfortunately, he passed away before all the stories were shared...

Lieutenant Loughead
09-11-2008, 03:00 AM
I was sitting in a SouthWest Airlines 737, on a taxi way at Dallas Love Field. There was a long line of airplanes in the queue, waiting for takeoff... My seat was on the right side of the airplane, so I had a great view of the airplanes landing and taking off...

One by one, the airplanes took off -- we inched closer and closer to our turn to take off...

At this point, there is only one airplane in front of us -- a twin engine prop job of some sort. It was broad daylight, but I was young, and couldn't identify the airplane at the time...

My 737 is 90 degrees to the runway. One more right turn, and we're haulin' the mail!

So, I look out the window. That little twin is just sitting there. Then, it LURCHES FORWARD, rolls about 30 yards, and SLAMS ON THE BRAKES! :confused:

Then, it LURCHES FORWARD AGAIN, rolls about 10 yards, and SLAMS ON THE BRAKES! :confused:

It just sits there for about 10 seconds...

Suddenly my entire airplane (did I mention it was a 737?) SWAYED, from right, to left, and them back to the right. I swear our right wingtip touched the grass! :eek: I'm like, "What the heck was that?"

I hear a ROAR, so loud, I can't begin to describe it. Suddenly, the sun is completely blocked out!

As I continue to look out my window, I look UP, and see another 737, which had aborted it's landing on the runway. It had increased throttle, and steered to the grassy median between the runway and taxiway -- DIRECTLY OVER MY 737!!! :eek:

I just sat there, and looked at the 737 climb out -- I had a perfect view of it's tail, and the black exhaust trail it was leaving behind...

The little twin sat there for about 30 seconds more, and took off. So did we.

I never heard anything about a "near miss" on the news. I even searched the internet (years later), and never found any mention of it... :o

pd1
09-11-2008, 03:03 AM
Liquidity, There is a game, the controller gives a clearance, you repeat it back only faster.
The next one from him will be faster yet, and so should yours.

First one to say, "please repeat", loses.

pd1
09-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Quite some time ago, about 46 years ago, I had an airplane called the Glass Squire.
It was a Tri Squire with a fiberglass fuselage.

It was a plane that spun wonderfully, sometimes going into a flat spin.
I was doing just that when my dad said," sometimes they don't always come out of flat spins".
Being 14 and knowing all there was to know about modeling I kept doing it.
Sure enough the next time it wouldn't come out.

Went all the way to the ground.
When I went over to it, it looked like it had no damage. Lucky, eh?

While I was refueling my dad said, "sometimes the wing spars crack under that type of load ,and I should take it home and check".

Since I was already refuelled, why not try it just once more.

You know what's coming don't you.

The wings parted and departed from the airframe. The fuselage sans wings did it's best impression of a missile.
It gracefully arced across the field and buried itself up to where the wing should have been.

I didn't let on, but I listened a little more after that.
He was usually right and prophetic.

crxmanpat
09-11-2008, 03:32 AM
So it's 1984 and I'm 18, had absolutely NO CLUE about radio chatter, just enough to get me in trouble, and I'm PIC shooting touch and go's at Tallahassee Municipal in a Cessna 150 with my instructor in the right seat. After a relatively nice shot, I'm just starting to climb back out to 500' when the tower calls "Make right, traffic". Stupid me, not having any clue what he meant, called back "Roger".

After about another 10 seconds of climb out on the same heading, my instructor asks when I'm going to make my right turn. So I break right just in time to see an ANG A-7 come screaming down the runway after making an approach. I paid attention better after that.

crxmanpat
09-11-2008, 03:36 AM
Right about a week after that, I'm on the tarmac doing pre-flight when one of the other trainees parks and gets out of the plane. He was doing solo touch and go's on this hop. As soon as he shut down, several instructors come running up to the plane chewing this guy out. He's like 70 and I had no clue why he was even taking lessons.

Turns out his full stop was performed on the taxiway, instead of 27L. And from what I understood, this was not his first "incident". But it was certainly his last, the FAA made certain of that.

CHEECH
09-11-2008, 05:16 AM
So there's about 6 of us in the pattern practicing landings one spring evening at the college. Im behind B.B. 10 in B.B. 26 extending my downwind for spaceing. I turn final and can see B.B. 10 touching down for what seemed a strange long landing, then finally got airborn.

I had to go around because 10 ate up the whole runway. I headed back to the hangars and 10 stayed in the pattern for a few more bounces. After finishing up my paperwork I saw a big crowd gathered around Big Bend 10. What I saw was freakin amazing. About 6 inches from the tip. The prop ends had been ben bent back 90 degrees.

That kid didnt even know he had hit the runway so hard that he struck the prop on the asphalt. Even was in the pattern a few more times afterwards. Those props can sure take a beating.

Cheech

John Seidelman
09-11-2008, 05:40 AM
I got one from the Navy you won't believe.
I am a plane capt on the transient flight line at Alameda NAS in the early 60s. When we weren't working on our own planes we serviced Air Force Army and Marine birds coming in to Frisco for weekend trips. But when My plane was released from O+R after an engine change I had to fly the back seat on it's test. Well the test pilot we had on base was a real Character. He would strap in and insert a new cigar into his face and put on his oxy mask. And didn't remove it till he landed with a small stub sticking out, after a several hour test.

Well my plane was a T-33 and I had never been in one before this flight and was all wound up. I got the engine started and pulled all the saftey pins and chocks, climbed into the back seat and about the time I got strapped in we were going over the Bay Bridge.
He started checking out all the diff. check list items while flying higher and further north. All of a sudden I am looking down on Reno and the lake was really pretty from 40,000 feet. He says over the inter com WATCH This. He does a fighter roll over and dive at a ski boat out on the lake. At the last minut he is laughing real hard, the guy on the skis is looking up and is screaming (I could see his face) threw the rope in the air, his girlfriend dove under the dash of the boat and Hear I am worrying about every thing PLUS we had those HUGE tip tanks out there trying to bend the wings off the bird.
Well I guess no one got the numbers off the plane cause nothing ever happened to the pilot. I still wonder how close we were to bending those wings off............

Rabbitcreekok
09-11-2008, 06:42 AM
I had a student who owned a Cessna 172 and he had a meeting with someone at DFW. He wanted to get a little more dual and go to his meeting. Now, I had never flown into DFW at that time, so I asked around about how they handled light aircraft.

I was told they landed them on the inner taxiway, which consists of a runway marked out in the middle of the taxiway. As we arrived, we received clearance to land on on the taxiway (don't remember the designation). We kept looking for the runway and could not see it. There are 2 main runways with at least 4 parallel taxiways on the west side of the airport. The tower asked if we had the runway in sight and we suddenly saw it, almost directly below us and we were not much below pattern altitude.

I said we had it is sight and the tower asked if we could make a 360 and land on the runway. I said sure, took over the plane, pulled the power and dropped the flaps. As we made the first half of our 360, we were treated to a lineup of probably 10 flights lined up on approach to both main runways on the west side of the airport.

We completed our 360 and landed without incident, taxied for what seemed like 5 miles to the transient parking area, where we parked next to 2 NASA F-104 Starfighters.

Of course, that is why they hate to have light aircraft fly into DFW. I made the trip many times after that without any problems, but you could always tell, they wished you would just go somewhere else.

CHEECH
09-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Rentals have alway been a part of my flying. I use to trust aircaft owners who rented their planes unitll this fatefull day.

I had 3 people aboard this 172 SP one day when durring climb out I noticed the engine temperature gauge was at redline. Quickly I leveled out and told ATC that I would like to turn around and land imediatly.

I was on approach on 17 when ATC asked if I would like to make a downwind for 35. I told them I would like to land as soon as possible and 17 would be nice. The wind was calm so in the best interest of my situation I oppted for 17 regardless of wind conditions.

On short final I throttled back and the engine started to sputter. My passengers looked at me with concern but I told them, all is well. I gave the keys back to the owner and told them about my flight with the engine temp showing redline. The owner looked at me and said, "Oh that is normal for that airplane. Its just a glitch in the instrument system".

Are you kidding me. No airplane should be flown when a guage like that is faulty. Hello TOMATOE FLAMES. Whats going to happend to the next pilot, or even worst, student pilot. When he is told to ignore the temp guage on this particular airplane. He might have an accuall emergency and not even acknowledge it untill its too late. Unbelievable.

Cheech

pd1
09-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Engine instrument gauges. You'd think they would be better on a more expensive plane, right?

This is old. I had a job flying a Cessna 421 for a company. Pick up in Norwood and drop off at LGA.
l Landed at LGA at about 11:30 PM.
The passenger of the plane was also the owner of the plane.
He had a habit of exiting the plane the moment the plane stopped.
Since asking him to not do this didn't help, I would kill the left engine prior to parking.

My co pilot would hold the brakes while I went back and secured the door.
I went forward and restarted the left engine and called clearance delivery.

Usually clearance delivery just gives you your clearance, then you call ground to get clearance to move, then tower to take off and finally approach to handle you out of the area.

Tonight clearance just said, "Are you ready to move? That 727 is waiting for you, follow the 737 for takeoff. The airport closes in 15 minutes."

Startled, I jumped into the que and tried to go through the pre flight checks.

I skipped the engine run up and associated checks because the 727 immediately behind me would have ingested all the dirt and dust I'd throw up.

I though I'd checked everything else. I didn't.

Take off was normal and climb out into the clouds was also normal.
A few minutes later I switched to the aux tanks and was leaving the metro area.
The HSI stopped working. An inconvenience yes, but still not a big deal.

Next, ATC called to say they lost my transponder.
I pushed the button to answer and the entire plane went dark.
Oh, both engines quit.

I switched tanks, went through the emergency alternator start procedure and everything was as it should have been.

When I was on the ground and I restarted the left engine, the over voltage relay popped open.
I had been running on battery the whole time.

I couldn't tell because the annunciator lights for the alternators was stuck in a perpetual dim glow. " don't worry about that, it's always like that"

The light that illuminated the volt/charge meter was burnt out too..
Mechanic had replaced the bulb, but broken the wire going to the bulb.

The engines quit because I was on aux tanks and leaned out.
The aux tanks had internal electric pumps to supply fuel.
With the pumps went off line, the engines weren't getting enough fuel.
Switching to main takes cured that problem.

It's funny how simple light bulbs can have such a dramatic effect on flying.

CHEECH
09-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Ok. I know the altimeter window knob. What are the other two. And how do you control them if your solo in the back seat.

Paul told me you sit in the back do to Wieght and Balance issues. J3 drivers help me out.

Cheech

pd1
09-16-2008, 11:51 PM
CHEECH, The knob on the right is the primer. Only use that for starting, not used in flight.

The knob on the left is the cabin heat, such as there isn't any. Well there is heat, it just goes out the door gaps before it can get to the rear.

Sometimes the knob on the left was a sort of mixture/gas on off control.
Didn't work well as either.
Some plane were retro fitted with a Marvel carb and they would have a real mixture control.

The ones with the original carb, Stromberg, I think, the control was just a fuel on off, but you couldn't shut he engine off with it. Had to shut it off with the mags.
Weird.
But you could lean it out a little in cruise.
It was sensitive and would kill the engine if you were ham fisted.

It payed too find out what the system was before you tried to fly.

If my memory is correct, the carb heat knob is on the left side of the fuselage, slightly behind the front seat, behind the trim knob.
You can reach it from front or rear seat.

The Citabria has a dual carb heat knob, under the throttle levers.

It's funny how you don't pay attention to where things are on some planes.
This one I pay attention, I can remember where all the switches are on this one.

CHEECH
09-17-2008, 02:08 AM
Is that a Turbine Cheyenne?

Cheech

Rabbitcreekok
09-17-2008, 04:20 AM

Cheech

It is a piston twin. I would guess a Navajo. Could be a Mojave but I don't think so. The windows are too large for a pressurized airplane.

crosborne
09-17-2008, 05:59 AM

Cheech

I'm with Cheech, those gauges are for turbines.

pd1
09-17-2008, 11:38 AM
Jim, you're right the windows are large, but it is the Cheyenne.
Outside view.

Rabbitcreekok
09-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Weeelllll, it is just a souped up Navajo.:tc:

I saw the gauges, but the red leavers on the right threw me. I have never flown a turbine and I thought they were mixture controls.

pd1
09-20-2008, 02:00 AM
I just got back from Florida, picked up a Cirrus SR 22 .
For the same person that owns the Cheyenne.

Paul
And your right it is just a souped up Navajo.