PDA

View Full Version : Another one of my random ideas....

GreenAce92
10-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Well in school we were talking about photosynthesis and all that and how water is broken down and i was of course just blacking out all this stuff zoning out... but i was thinking while zoning about electrolysis and how i could make an airship out of it lol yeah i was off in never never land, but yeah i would do that + and - wires thing in a cup of water, collect teh hydrogen given off and put it in a light plastic bag of some sort, then attach a little motor from an airhogs plane and a little lipo battery, then use some glue and attach little fins(from paper) then i would just connect the circuit and watch my mini hindinburg fly around my room could it work? how long does electrolysis take?

Biplane Murphy
10-08-2008, 04:51 AM
It is pretty easy to get the hydrogen, but as we all know.........The Hindenburg ended in a BIG fireball.

Not the safest way to go.

Use Helium instead.

Pudknocker71
10-08-2008, 11:09 AM
I hear a deflating balloon.

GreenAce92
10-09-2008, 01:45 AM
where do i get helium from? i guess i could just buy a cheap walmart ballon, but hey hydrogen is free, i could make rockets! nah im just jokin, i think it could be done but i have no clue about that stuff plus its "liquid" hydrogen anyways...

Firestem4
10-09-2008, 02:20 AM
What you are thinking of is basically how a Hydrogen car works. And why it is so cheaply efficient. By sperateing the Hydrogen from Water. you create only 1 byproduct - Oxygen. The hydrogen is then ignited creating the fuel for Internal Combustion engines.

Hydrogen is an incredibly unstable element. It is ready to bond with anything it comes in contact with. It is apart of the Noble Gases which all of the Noble Gases in their pure state are incredibly unstable as well. They are all very combustable.

Albeit it is a good idea Green, and its good to do thinking like this. As the previous posters said, look at the end result of the Hindenburg.

Liquid Hydrogen is Jet Fuel by the way. Not only is it incredible expensive, but more than likely you would have to be a military agency to get your hands on some of it. The potential energy Liquid Hydrogen has is incredible. Also, it must be cooled to 20.7 degree's Kelvin. (aka: Wicked cold).

Helium is very stable. It is also not uncommon for certain plane's wings to be filled with Helium. If you could design a hollow wing(balsa/mylar), although a material must stronger than mylar. You could fill the wing with Helium and have a semi-blimp. If you float on air with little power.

gfdengine204
10-09-2008, 02:26 AM
It is pretty easy to get the hydrogen, but as we all know.........The Hindenburg ended in a BIG fireball.

Not the safest way to go.

Use Helium instead.

Uh, Chris, one point......

It is now believed the hydrogen was not the problem with the fire, but instead the extremely flammable paint/covering on the outside of the dirigible.

All due respect, of course, buddy. :)

Firestem4
10-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Uh, Chris, one point......

It is now believed the hydrogen was not the problem with the fire, but instead the extremely flammable paint/covering on the outside of the dirigible.

All due respect, of course, buddy. :)

Im sure the Hydrogen didn't help in any case. :p>

GreenAce92
10-09-2008, 02:48 AM
wasn't this on mythbusters? ;)

Pudknocker71
10-09-2008, 03:02 AM
http://mythbusters-wiki.discovery.com/page/Hindenburg+Mystery?t=anon

groundrushesup
10-09-2008, 03:34 AM
where do i get helium from? i guess i could just buy a cheap walmart ballon, but hey hydrogen is free, i could make rockets! nah im just jokin, i think it could be done but i have no clue about that stuff plus its "liquid" hydrogen anyways...

Two ways to get Helium:

One - Break the strong nuclear bond of heavy Hydrogen, also known as deuterium. This is most often accomplished (on Earth) with a primer detonation that compresses U-235 or Plutonium in a spherical core to critical mass, creating a fission chain-reaction that, in a high-energy state, allows the aforementioned Hydrogen atoms (single protons) to fuse, creating Helium (two protons each). This process is a little messy; the ever-so-slight difference in mass between the single-proton Hydrogen and the two protons of the Helium is released as pure, blinding, decimating kinetic energy, so make sure your garage is big enough and you lay down some tarps. Also, don't go near the garage for about 100 years.

Two - you could just go to the Party store.

Cheers. ;-)

GreenAce92
10-09-2008, 03:59 AM
yay!!! we get to sound like high pitch singing *beeps* ! :)

wonder if it actually works...

ministeve2003
10-09-2008, 04:01 AM
If you do a reenactment of the Hindenburg... Please make sure to get it on tape...LOL

SK

ministeve2003
10-09-2008, 04:04 AM
Well, They did get it on tape... so I guess You don't need to do a reenactment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54rqDh2mWA&

Firestem4
10-09-2008, 04:05 AM
Blah. Recreations rule. I second your first post steve! lol

ministeve2003
10-09-2008, 04:11 AM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/747648/electrolysis_break_water_into_hydrogen_and_oxygen/

Here's a video on electrolysis

SK

GreenAce92
10-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Thats a pretty sweet video, seems a little "dangerous" hes just like, take one dc adapter, attach its wires to nails...... that hinderburg film was pretty sad, kinda odd though how it was hovering then just suddenly exploded, why do old films seem always like its fast forwarded? like people run like crazy and zoom in and out of the film field its weird but i see it alot in old movies.

TLyttle
10-09-2008, 05:47 PM
If you watch the Hindenburg original, it is clear that it wasn't the fire that killed anyone, it was the structure falling on them. And it seems to me that the loss of life wasn't as catastrophic as what the announcer was describing ("Oh, the humanity!!"). It also gives a graphic lesson on the power of static electicity.

And frankly, the filming of the old days is no more disturbing than the MTV-style filming and editing being used today to cover various subjects, music in particular. It has been years since I have seen a film of a musical event where they kept the camera on one item/person/movement/etc for longer than 1 1/2 seconds. I find it very, very annoying and exasperating! Even the TV stations have taken up this constant-switching crap.

Firestem4
10-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Its genius in terms of filming though. Never let the camera stay on 1 person/thing/object long enough for a person to concentrate on it. Keep moving the camera and keep them hooked and trying to understand what is going on.

I agree with you TLyttle, it is very annoying. I love movies where, not necessarily it is long and drawn out, but it has substance to each shot that is given. What i consider to be my favorite movie (next to star wars, but this is a different category because Star Wars is the greatest thing in life, lol) Kingdom of Heaven. (if you haven't seen the directors cut, then you are totally missing out). I love Epic styled movies like this. Where there is so much that you are given. A lot of time spent with each character. And it isn't just every 5 seconds someone dies.

I hope i'm making sense - Not thinking that clearly right now lol.