PDA

View Full Version : Rigging wire material?

Kmot
11-18-2008, 05:28 PM
What is the best material to use to simulate rigging wires?

On my E-Flite Jenny it is just white thread. It looks okay, but not really very convincing.

I am currently working on a 33" wingspan 1/10 scale Nieuport 28 and want to apply rigging to it.

Would silver sewing thread look right? Is there somethng out there made specifically for this use for us modelers?

gfdengine204
11-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Some folks like to use Spiderwire or Fireline fishing line. I used that on my E-Flite Jenny, looked nice and scale-ish compared to that white thread.

dbcisco
11-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I use waxed black linen thread. It came from Sikorky about 40 years ago and was used to wrap wire bundles in the aircraft. Looks nice as rigging. Haven't a clue where to get it now-a-days.

Fly Time
11-18-2008, 06:49 PM
I've found that cotton thread stretches and sags over time, especially if you are fond of flying in early morning fog. And if you have never flown a slow flying plane in the fog, you should! Flying the yellow Curtis Jenny to the edge of visibility and back under a quiet blanket of morning fog is a sublime experience.

Anyway, a friend of mine who I was flying with over the weekend swears by fly tying thread for rigging wires. It comes in a variety of different colors and thicknesses, and it holds up to moisture very well. And it will not stretch. Here is just one type of many. I would go with the Uni Big Fly Thread:

http://www.flytiers.com/indexflytiers.asp?cmd=1&nCategoryID=1936

Kmot
11-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Fishing line! What a great tip! :)

Based on your guys advice I looked around a bit and found something that looks interesting. It is also silver!

http://www.silverthread.com/AN40.htm

What do you think about this stuff? I was thinking of the 17lb test which has a diameter of 0.0147"

Thanks!

cliffh
11-18-2008, 07:20 PM
I'll go along with fishing line. On my Eflite Jenny, I used some old black braided fishing line I had laying around. Fishing line works great.

By the way, you might want to check to make sure your rudder control horn isn't hitting the fuselage on full rudder deflection. Mine was and caused some pretty wonky flight charactoristics the first couple flights until I figured it out. A simple snip of the offending part was all that was required. I build completely stock except for the fishing line.

Kmot
11-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks! Are you referring to the Jenny or the Nieuport with your rudder comment? If it's the Jenny, my rudder has been broken and repaired several times to the point it is now so reinforced a Mack truck couldn't bother it! :p>

Fly Time
11-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Just to clarrify, fishing line and fly tying thread are not the same. Fly tying thread is more supple and comes in various colors, whereas fishing line is made to be invisible. To fish at least.

Regardless of what you use, you will need to use small grommets or something to keep the line from cutting into foam or balsa or whatever material your wing is made of. On my Jenny, I cut small squares from a clear plastic 2 liter beverage bottle and used a pin drill to punch a hole in the middle to thread the rigging wire through. I then secured the plastic square to the wing where the wires pass through with a drop of CA.

dbcisco
11-18-2008, 08:13 PM
The best (IMHO) fly tying thread is genuine silk, same stuff as suture material. Possible that medical supply stuff costs an arm and a leg though (but you can sew them back on;-))

Kmot
11-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I just spent a couple hours driving to two different fishing tackle stores. One was a regular fishing store and one was a fly fishing store. Neither had the product I was looking for. However, I did buy some real steel line at the fishing tackle store, it just might work out. At the fly tying store the waxed fly tying thread was all way too thin. The tchickest stuff they had was called floss, and it is barely suitable in thickness IMHO but I bought some anyway to experiment with.

The stuff I really want I will have to order online.

Fly Time
11-18-2008, 11:03 PM
This thread has got me thinking that it is time for me to re-rig my Jenny. I just ordered some of the Uni Big Fly thread in gray and tan. Not really sure how thick it is, but if it doesn't work maybe I'll take up fly fishing. My wife will be thrilled :rolleyes:

Old Fart
11-18-2008, 11:08 PM
On my (RIP) Pitts 12E, I used Du-Bro braided line (for pull-pull linkages)

dbcisco
11-18-2008, 11:08 PM
This thread has got me thinking that it is time for me to re-rig my Jenny. I just ordered some of the Uni Big Fly thread in gray and tan. Not really sure how thick it is, but if it doesn't work maybe I'll take up fly fishing. My wife will be thrilled :rolleyes:

Have you looked at an Orvis catalog lately? I can't even afford to get my rod refinished :sad:. This hobby would be alot cheaper if planes weren't like potato chips.

Bub Steve
11-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Three words{ Waxed dental floss}bub, steve

Kmot
11-18-2008, 11:13 PM
I have a good amount of the Dubro pull-pull cable left over and I contemplated it, actually. But decided against it on this particular model.

Fly Time
11-18-2008, 11:19 PM
This hobby would be alot cheaper if planes weren't like potato chips.
LOL - that's great!

Only to be outdone by bubsteve's mint flavored rigging wires :Q

Where were you 15 minutes ago Steve? I just ordered $8 worth of colored thread from a fly fishing place in Idaho. And I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning. They're always trying to get me to floss more so they'll have less cleaning to do. They would gladly give me an extra sample or two of floss if they thought I was going to use it on my teeth :rolleyes:

Bub Steve
11-18-2008, 11:33 PM
LOL - that's great!

Only to be outdone by bubsteve's mint flavored rigging wires :Q

Where were you 15 minutes ago Steve? I just ordered $8 worth of colored thread from a fly fishing place in Idaho. And I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning. They're always trying to get me to floss more so they'll have less cleaning to do. They would gladly give me an extra sample or two of floss if they thought I was going to use it on my teeth :rolleyes:
I've had the same rigg'in for years! It don't rot but "gives " just enough not to break you tie's or wings,:ws:, bub steve

dbcisco
11-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Dental floss is another thing planes and potato chips have in common ;)

Kmot
11-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Okay fella's, here are the products I bought today. The fly tying floss is not too good. It unravels easily and gets all fuzzy looking plus even when it's twisted it looks like a spiral. Regular sewing thread is mor round.

I have not tried waxing this floss yet, but I was told I could use a regular candle to get wax for it. Maybe it looks better when waxed.

Anyway, the steel fishing line is the bomb! It looks real, because it is. It is 7 strands. And it CA's into the balsa just fine.

Kmot
11-19-2008, 01:55 AM
I just tested a couple pieces of the wire to see if it would solder into brass. With regular solder, no. With Stay-Brite silver solder, yes.

Bill G
11-19-2008, 05:43 AM
Guillows control line string is strong. I pre-stretch lenghts of it before using it, to reduce future stretching. If you've ever built a Guillows kit, you should have a 60 foot roll of it.
For larger planes, I use .015" music wire, found at the hobby shop. Unbelievably strong.

groundrushesup
11-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Fishing line! What a great tip! :)

Based on your guys advice I looked around a bit and found something that looks interesting. It is also silver!

http://www.silverthread.com/AN40.htm

What do you think about this stuff? I was thinking of the 17lb test which has a diameter of 0.0147"

Thanks!

Just a warning - the AN40 line is called "thread", but it is actually a monofilament line. It just so happens that its my favorite line for my baitcast and spinner setups. Funny thing is the first time I bought it, I did it because of the brilliant elastic line 'keep' they put on the spool. I'm a sucker for a clever invention. But I digress.

If you are looking for metal-tone line that won't shrink or sag - I'd go with what Fly Time recommended, or the initial nod towards Spiderwire (This stuff is virtually unbreakable), perhaps dressed with some decanted metallic spray paint?

EDIT: Nevermind, I stopped reading the thread a few days too early LOL

7car7
11-19-2008, 05:03 PM
I like the idea of the "silverthread". But I'm confused by their site - is it actually braided line like spyderwire? Or clear plastic monofilament?

I'm using Sypderwire, and occasionally upholstery thread. They work great. Spyderwire is NOT stretchy at all, wich can be challenging to get it tight. And the upholstery thread has a slight stretch, but has never sagged for me.

My only issue with these 2 is that they're not SILVER! I'd like the lines to stand out a bit more like the real planes.

groundrushesup
11-19-2008, 06:10 PM
I like the idea of the "silverthread". But I'm confused by their site - is it actually braided line like spyderwire? Or clear plastic monofilament?

I'm using Sypderwire, and occasionally upholstery thread. They work great. Spyderwire is NOT stretchy at all, wich can be challenging to get it tight. And the upholstery thread has a slight stretch, but has never sagged for me.

My only issue with these 2 is that they're not SILVER! I'd like the lines to stand out a bit more like the real planes.

It is monofilament.

Fly Time
11-19-2008, 06:25 PM
...If you are looking for metal-tone line that won't shrink or sag - I'd go with what Fly Time recommended....

My recommendation actually came from a friend of mine who I was flying with over the weekend, so I don't have any first hand experience with fly tying thread. However, I do need to re-rig my Jenny, so I've taken my own advice and ordered some. I will let you know how it works out.

flypaper 2
11-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Dental floss user here too. the one in my avatar is about 3 yrs old and still going strong. Very tough and none stretching. If you tried to break it with your hands, you'd cut your skin first.:p>

rhino
11-20-2008, 09:27 AM
I think alot of how stretchy a line is depends on how you tighten it. I've been using 25 lbs spyder line and while just knoting it off or even cynching it down by using a rabbit ear, it is not stretchy even if trying to tug it in with some needle nose. However, if youre final cynching is done with screws or turnbuckles it does stretch a little bit, and easily. I initially found this out when testing the line by getting it taught, then putting a load on the string and easing off multiple times and sure enough it began to sag. You can pre-stretch it though by hooking a longer line up to a good span and cynching it down by screws, then cutting your lengths off of it. I've found to get about a centimeter out of roughly ten inches of line and then "twanging" the lines doesn't bring slack.

Dental floss does work in my experience as well; however, it is usually white and flat like a ribbon. Since its waxed it also cant be painted, at least not very easily. You may be able to dye it though.

The delema I have about using steel line is interference in the radio, but then again I'm not using a spectrum or one of the slick newer jobies.

I recently saw some dubro line which I believe is probably pull-pull which looks promising; although I think thier lines are steel wrapped in tungsten? I'm not certain.

Hilltop Herbs
03-21-2010, 05:52 AM
I'm new to R/C but old in the scale plastic model field; for the past 20 years I have been using a sewing store product called Transparent Nylon for rigging most of my static/desktop models.
It is quite strong; I clamp a pair of hemostats on the free end of the rigging after pulling it though a strut or whatever, then find a way to let the hemostat hang free; the weight of the hemostat keeps tension on the line as the CA dries.
It reflects light just enough to give the impression of metallic cable, and can be enhanced with a silver permanent marker.
Great for hemming pants, too!
One more thing: lead foil from wine bottles works well for faking turnbuckles and the like.
Now, will someone point me in the direction of a Scorpio Nieuport 28?
The man on rcgroups never got back about the one he had in his warehouse in Florida...
This is a wonderful site; thanks!