PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Size

WingingIt74
12-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Is there anyway that the avatar size can be increased a little. I'd love to use the avatar that I use everywhere else that I made.

http://www.tri-5chevy.com/Avitars/FE3.gif

75x46 @ 72kb

ps: just noticed the IMG doesn't support GIF files either, seems odd.

Rolling Thunder
12-03-2008, 08:55 PM
have you tried using this
MOVING AVATAR - let me show you how to make one.. (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41203)
HoaRC

WingingIt74
12-03-2008, 09:09 PM
I know the size of mine is bigger because the amount of frames. It's just a shame I can't use it on here but other forums I can.

Mike Parsons
12-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Unfortunately our kb limit is 19.5 by design. Many users are still on dial up and if everyone had ~70k avatars it would really slow things down for those people.

WingingIt74
12-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Unfortunately our kb limit is 19.5 by design. Many users are still on dial up and if everyone had ~70k avatars it would really slow things down for those people.

No offense, but I had dial-up upto a few years ago, that never slowed mine down. Also, isn't viewing avatars an option that a user can turn off? I have also never heard any complaints on my own 2 forums. I do put a 100kb cap on mine but most put a 75kb cap.

groundrushesup
12-04-2008, 06:59 AM
No offense, but I had dial-up upto a few years ago, that never slowed mine down. Also, isn't viewing avatars an option that a user can turn off? I have also never heard any complaints on my own 2 forums. I do put a 100kb cap on mine but most put a 75kb cap.

If you don't stay on top of overhead, things get out of hand. Most people don't get about web pages and HTML specifically is that it is sent and received in ASCII text - so, for example - excluding images, the first page of the "Welcome to Wattflyer" Thread which shows 25 posts is only 181kB, and that is by most standards huge, mainly because of the tables used in layout.

So restricting avatar sizes is not as arbitrary as you might think.

The worst, and I mean THE WORST practice of forums these days is allowing hotlinked images in signatures - often generated on the fly by some overworked imageMagick hack-up.

I am on an OC-48 connection at work and still I have to wait for the page to finish loading because Bubba wants to show me his latest High Score in Grand Theft Auto? Come on.

Okay rant over - But I see where Mike is coming from. I also appreciate the lack of clutter. ;-)

Mike Parsons
12-04-2008, 02:45 PM

No offense taken and I appreciate your candor. One of our goals here is to provide the most amount of features and options while still providing a streamlined interface. It is a balance that we contend with every day for the membership as a whole. :)

WingingIt74
12-04-2008, 04:12 PM
:cool: