PDA

View Full Version : Destiny I tell you. Big day today.

Pudknocker71
12-17-2008, 12:57 PM
I Googled todays date and come up with this. :)
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/dec17.html

FlyingMonkey
12-17-2008, 01:24 PM
um, it just sends us to a google search page...

MaxAdventure
12-17-2008, 03:24 PM
The URL was trunkated. I tied to recreate and came up with this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_17

spaceship one first flight?

Pudknocker71
12-17-2008, 10:41 PM
:o Corrected...

Alpea42
12-18-2008, 04:05 PM
It's the date of the Wrights 1st successfull powered flight.

Voyager2lcats
12-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Excellent. I'm in Kittyhawk every May.:) Visionary is an understatement in describing the Wrights.

It's the date of the Wrights 1st successfull powered flight.

FlyingMonkey
12-18-2008, 04:57 PM
visionary?

bah, they got lucky

Voyager2lcats
12-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey squelch that static you misanthropic simian [said lovingly by devoted ex-minion]:).

visionary?

bah, they got lucky

MustangMan
12-18-2008, 05:31 PM
visionary?

bah, they got lucky

Yep, they got lucky...

After a lot of hard work, with limited materials, limited funding, very little prior art to draw on, and the enthusiasm of nay-sayers.

Sure, someone would have managed within the next 10 years. In my mind they earned it.

Alpea42
12-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Yeah but as soon as they tried to sell it to the Army. They crashed. But the best part of that article is where Wilbur in a letter to Chanute calls his desire to fly a "disease" and will lead to "great expense":D

Voyager2lcats
12-18-2008, 05:37 PM
That was bad. They were still "stuck" with wing warping as a control method and had not implemented ailerons yet(we can all relate to that one, I think! LOL!).:)

Yeah but as soon as they tried to sell it to the Army. They crashed

MustangMan
12-18-2008, 05:59 PM
... But the best part of that article is where Wilbur in a letter to Chanute calls his desire to fly a "disease" and will lead to "great expense":D

Some aspects of our relationship to aviation haven't changed in the slightest in over 100 years!:rolleyes:

TLyttle
12-19-2008, 07:03 PM
If it wasn't for Smithsonian, I'm not convinced that we would call the Wright Bros The First. Gustav Whitehead is one of quite a few whose flights were recorded (but not verified by the "proper authorities") before Kittyhawk. I don't begrudge them for their effort, but it was a busy time for Aeronauts.

My Avatar shows that I am indeed a fan of early flight in general, and Chanute in particular. Chanute was heading towards the now-accepted configuration of aircraft, with the stabilisers at the rear, and proving the worth of dihedral. Wright, Chanute, Lilienthal, Roe, all those guys were in constant communication with each other for the years leading up to 1903, so it was just a matter of time before one of them succeeded.....

Voyager2lcats
12-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Terry, Otto Lilienthal is perhaps the greatest early aviator- the Wrights read anything he published voraciously. His success with early gliders was incredible and incredibly dangerous in a time when heavier than air flight theory was not well-understood. Simply an amazing individual. I guess it is apt that he died while flying one of his gliders.

If it wasn't for Smithsonian, I'm not convinced that we would call the Wright Bros The First. Gustav Whitehead is one of quite a few whose flights were recorded (but not verified by the "proper authorities") before Kittyhawk. I don't begrudge them for their effort, but it was a busy time for Aeronauts.

My Avatar shows that I am indeed a fan of early flight in general, and Chanute in particular. Chanute was heading towards the now-accepted configuration of aircraft, with the stabilisers at the rear, and proving the worth of dihedral. Wright, Chanute, Lilienthal, Roe, all those guys were in constant communication with each other for the years leading up to 1903, so it was just a matter of time before one of them succeeded.....

TLyttle
12-20-2008, 05:23 AM
I guess that is why I liked Chanute's work. I agree that Lilienthal worked very hard at the problems, but he tried to imitate the birds (see his structures), whereas Chanute's designs were more adapted to mechanical technology. The bird influences continued on for the first decade or more, but as time went by, Chanute's ideas became the norm.

When we built the glider in my avatar, we spent a lot of time researching the various early flying machines from various designers. While not a replica, the resulting machine had way more of Chanute's influence than anyone else's.

Voyager2lcats
12-20-2008, 05:35 AM
You are right about Chanute and Lilienthal: Chanute posited control surfaces if I am correct, while Lilienthal was copying nature (i.e. bird wings) and wing warping by the Wrights on their flier was a result. I can't remember if it was Glenn Curtiss who first applied ailerons to one of his designs. Like you mentioned, they all corresponded to one another.

I guess that is why I liked Chanute's work. I agree that Lilienthal worked very hard at the problems, but he tried to imitate the birds (see his structures), whereas Chanute's designs were more adapted to mechanical technology. The bird influences continued on for the first decade or more, but as time went by, Chanute's ideas became the norm.

When we built the glider in my avatar, we spent a lot of time researching the various early flying machines from various designers. While not a replica, the resulting machine had way more of Chanute's influence than anyone else's.

Grasshopper
12-20-2008, 05:40 AM
Some aspects of our relationship to aviation haven't changed in the slightest in over 100 years!:rolleyes:

Yep, immediately after the wright brothers first flight, they noticed their luggage was missing. :Q

alienx
12-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Yep, immediately after the wright brothers first flight, they noticed their luggage was missing. :Q
They didn't pay the checked bag fee ...

Pudknocker71
12-21-2008, 07:18 PM
They didn't pay the checked bag fee ...

I paid a fee once...brought the bags to me. I had checked in a hand gun to ship back home with me.:) I don't even know if you can do that anymore.:rolleyes: