PDA

View Full Version : how is the corvette c3 for a used car?

Moxus
01-07-2009, 05:15 PM
hi!

i hope any of you wattheads is car enthusiasts.
i live in europe so i have no clue about the american market, exept for that i want to import one here to norway, from america (reason being tax policies over here, that dont apply to import vintage cars, wich otherwise would killed any car with a displacement over 2 litres, or 0,00003 cid, aproximately. yes, cars over here does actually have smaller engines than model planes. its not a joke.)

anyway, i have a crush on the corvette c3, expecially 1969 model, but pretty much any model before they got the awful plastic front bumper is ok for me. and definetly before 1979, reason is taxes.
i want it to be red, t-roof or convertible preferably, and manual transmission.
engine is not so important, but i would prefer a "small" one actually. you have no idea what fuel costs over here. i want it to be close to original condition, and in relatively good condition.
what would be the price, approximately, and where should i look?
googling it gives me mostly teenagers eager to show off their (awful) modifications to a beautiful corvette, so i think i would have to look amongst the elder car enthusiasts. wich apparently dont use the net as much. and thats my problem, where do i look then?

constantCrash
01-07-2009, 06:06 PM
can't help you other than to question your taste in models ;-) all the corvette guys I know cringe when they hear the word C3 except for the Z71 model. I've looked at a couple of C4's and they can be had for between 25-40K depending on model and mileage

Moxus
01-07-2009, 06:35 PM
can't help you other than to question your taste in models ;-) all the corvette guys I know cringe when they hear the word C3 except for the Z71 model. I've looked at a couple of C4's and they can be had for between 25-40K depending on model and mileage

it has to be c3, because if its newer than 30 years old i would have to pay taxes for displacement AND horsepower :D
now, for a norwegian government thats used to 1.6 litre german sedans, how do you think they will go about calculating taxes for a 5++ litre american car with 200-300-400-500 horsepower? :D:D:D
it has to be older than 1979, no matter what.
and i dont like the looks of either the c1 or c2.
maybe my taste is just awkward, but i do really think the older c3s is gorgeous :P
it doesnt matter if it built by kentuckys, its half the charm with a hobby/vintage car that it has its problems and needs a watchful eye and a careful hand. my neighbour had a red c3 when i was a kid, i was too young to understand the specs and technical details back then, but i remember the spirit and the feeling of the car.... it feels just the same today :D the c3 is magical :)

40 k is about what you have to pay for a toyota avensis, yes used, over here with the taxes. and since vintage cars gets away from these taxes.... ;)

constantCrash
01-07-2009, 07:05 PM
you know, I just googled C3, and i've on C off. C4 is the "bastard child" corvette. And my brother in law has a C3 i'll ask him how much he paid for it. although it has the fiberglass nose.

firemanbill
01-07-2009, 07:18 PM
This may help. It won't give you a legitimate value overseas as the prices are based on us purchases but it is a good starting point for you to get an idea.

http://www.manheimgold.com/

Moxus
01-07-2009, 07:21 PM
bastard child corvette? does that mean that the c4 is the corvette of choice for youngsters & "badboys" ?

thanks a lot fireman :)
i see the bigblocks are quite a lot more expensive.
how fortunate :) i must be the only sports car enthusiast in the world asking for a smaller engine :)
please do think im crazy. i am.

firemanbill
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
No it means it was built in the mid 80's when American cars were worthless pieces of crap...:(

Moxus
01-07-2009, 07:38 PM
oow, yes then i follow. i first thought you guys meant it was c3 that was bad. and that had me a little confused.
i dont have any first hand experience with it, but i always thought it was a popular corvette. alt least over here, so i assumed it was in america too.
qualityvise i think its sturdy, but maybe a little rough around the small details.
but thats the charm of the corvette, its the cheap rought little brute that makes a proper headache for the expensive european brands :D and we europeans love it too ;)

Grasshopper
01-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Here's another place you can look for reference:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Cars-Trucks___1979-corvette-c3_W0QQ_catrefZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_trksidZp4506Q2ec0Q2em1? _trksid=p4506.c0.m1&Make247a0e=Chevroletb00f1088

firemanbill
01-07-2009, 08:04 PM
I have abit of experience with them. My father, who I knew very little growing up, (I was raised by my Stepfather) had a '69 Stingray. Red with T-tops.

I remember that car very well and would have loved to have gotten it from him. It was not to be though as it was totalled in an accident a few years after I entered the service.

They hold a special place in my heart as well and would love to have one someday. Here is a cool link to see the differences througout the years.

http://www.ridelust.com/corvettes/corvettes-through-the-years/

cessna capt
01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
I've used autotrader.com a lot in the past but I have not bought a car in a long time so I can not testify to how useful it is now.
If you find something in the Chicago, IL area and want somebody to take a look and give you an honest opinion I am more then willing to help. And I worked as an auto mechanic through college so I do have an idea as to what to look for.

Rabbitcreekok
01-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Just remember that all Corvettes are not what they are represented to be, meaning folks lie about the car to jack the price up.

I would strongly suggest you have someone knowledgeable about Corvettes inspect the car thoroughly before a purchase is consummated. It might cost a couple of hundred dollars to get it done, but you may save a lot.

Moxus
01-08-2009, 06:51 AM
thanks a lot for being so helpful guys, i really appreciate it :)
special thanks to you cessna for your generous offer.
it would be great to have someone look over it first.
my plan was to find a dealer that specialices in classic car, or even better, corvettes, and then go over there myself and look over as many options as i can find before choosing one. but having a person who actually knows a corvette up and down to help cant be a bad thing :D