PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable Garden -Anyone Else?

Murocflyer
02-01-2009, 05:25 PM
I am getting to order this year's round of seeds for my garden. I was just wondering if anyone else here has a garden?

I always forget what seeds I need to plant before and after last frost. Going to Farmer's Almanac site next.

Frank

Twmaster
02-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Must be nice to have that kind of time for a garden. I have the space for one. No time for it. And besides. I'm already too nice to the rabbits.

Murocflyer
02-01-2009, 05:59 PM
It's all about priorities Mike. I sacrifice other things to have a garden. We all have 24 hours in a day. It's what you do with it that makes the difference.

Frank

Murocflyer
02-01-2009, 06:01 PM
I found this cool table on the Farmer's Almanac site.

http://www.almanac.com/garden/plantingtable/index.php

Apparently it's best to plant during a moon cycle. Who knew?

The best time to plant flowers and vegetables that bear crops above ground is during the light of the Moon; that is, from the day the Moon is new to the day it is full. Flowering bulbs and vegetables that bear crops below ground should be planted during the dark of the Moon; that is, from the day after it is full to the day before it is new again. The Moon Favorable column below gives these days, which are based on the Moon's phases for 2009 and the safe periods for planting in areas that receive frost. See the Moon Phase Calendar (http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/moon/calendar/index.php) for the exact days of the new and full Moons.

Murocflyer
02-03-2009, 01:57 AM
Wow, all these folks here on WF and no other gardeners?

Interesting.

Frank

Alpea42
02-03-2009, 02:51 AM
I had a garden a while back. Radishes, green onions ,peppers ,string beans,zuccinni,pumpkins,melons,corn,lettuce,carrot s, herbs,30 tomato plants automatic sprinklers . Had lots of produce and higher water bill. Bug killer ,fertilizer no idea what I was doing but when it was all over I decided it was cheaper to buy the home grown stuff from the Japanese grower down the street.LOL He since has quit growing or died.He was about 90 some years old. Now we have an avacado tree and a nectarine tree and thats enough for me. The one thing I do miss is the great veggi omlets you could make on the spot with fresh picked onion, peppers , tomatos and such.But the rest of the hassel I don't miss. Have fun tho.You must be really into it to order your seeds. I just got what I wanted off the rack at Home Depot.

FlyingMonkey
02-03-2009, 03:20 AM

Rolling Thunder
02-03-2009, 03:46 AM
oh yea!Gardening is great:) I like growing stuff you cant get in the market that tastes any good,especially watermelon.Love watermelon:silly:also peas,tomato,strawberrys:D

Its already time out here in the high desert to plant cold weather crops-lettuces,peas,spinach,cabbage,cauliflower
By middle of April its warm weather crops-mmmmm watermelon:ws:

course out here in the desert you have to water everyday in the summer.cheaper to buy em' thats for sure but its good for the soul to garden:$ Best-RT

max2112
02-03-2009, 03:55 AM
Wow, all these folks here on WF and no other gardeners?

Interesting.

Frank

Now that you mention it Frank, when I was growing up we used to farm about 2 acres. One acre was corn. The other half was the usual suspects. Lettuce, tomatoes, okra, cantaloupe, green beans, radishes. It always kept us pretty busy.

It was also a big factor in why I joined the Army at the ripe old age of 18!:p>
Currently (20 years later) I am still in a "Gardens are Evil" frame of mind.
I'm sure one day I'll switch back and have at least a small back yard garden, but not yet!:D

TLyttle
02-03-2009, 04:04 AM
I wish I had more time for my garden. I use it for stuff I can't buy readily at the local markets, certain breeds of potato (Polish Blue? Kennebeck?), strawberries, and my favourite, peaches right off the tree... mmmmmm.... Home grown veggies and fruit are so much more tasty.

Rabbitcreekok
02-03-2009, 06:54 AM
My garden is just to the left as I go into the grocery store.:tc:

Firestem4
02-03-2009, 07:54 AM
I have been wanting for some time to get a terrarium habitat for plants. I found a website a long time ago that really sparked my interest originally called Dune Crafts. The simple plastic terrarium makes for an easy gardening which i can stick on my windowsill right in my room.

http://www.dunecraft.com/products/healinggarden.htm

they grow quickly and safely, and its not very high maintencen. These Are for say, kid projects, etc. But i find they can but just as good for anyone else. I was looking at the healing garden personally but I have always believed in herbal remedies for many things. And i love Aloe Vera. it works! lol

jb48
02-03-2009, 01:18 PM
I do vegetable gardening every summer, which is sometime short here. Bio gardening is a very zen occupation and I love it. My wife spends about 3 hours a day in her flowers. I never put vegetable trimmings in the trash can since I make my own compost. Since we live in a very rural area, finding seeds and young plants is not a problem...but the weather can be! Last Spring I built a small greenhouse with wooden sticks and plastic sheets. Well, high winds tore it apart 3 weeks later. Radishes, green peas, yellow and green beans, carrots, onions, tomatoes, plus strawberries and blueberries are our usual growings. I never took a look at Almanach or consider the Moon phases for gardening purposes. Happy gardening!

Murocflyer
02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I had a garden a while back. Radishes, green onions ,peppers ,string beans,zuccinni,pumpkins,melons,corn,lettuce,carrot s, herbs,30 tomato plants automatic sprinklers . Had lots of produce and higher water bill. Bug killer ,fertilizer no idea what I was doing but when it was all over I decided it was cheaper to buy the home grown stuff from the Japanese grower down the street.LOL He since has quit growing or died.He was about 90 some years old. Now we have an avacado tree and a nectarine tree and thats enough for me. The one thing I do miss is the great veggi omlets you could make on the spot with fresh picked onion, peppers , tomatos and such.But the rest of the hassel I don't miss. Have fun tho.You must be really into it to order your seeds. I just got what I wanted off the rack at Home Depot.

I agree with it actually being cheaper to buy your vegetables that grow them. No doubt about that, but like you said, it sure is great to have some fresh picked veggies for salads or side dishes.

Frank

Murocflyer
02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
you and crabzilla would get along great. will you be attending SEFF?

she enjoys her garden, and has the farmer's almanac as a bookmark on her laptop

Fred,

No SEFF for me this year. Too costly in both time and money for me. Perhaps one day, or if I do move to GA, I'll probably be a regular.

The Farmer's Almanac is full of great info. It's amazing. I bet you get to enjoy lots of fresh vegetables during the year. You must have 2, or maybe 3 growing seasons where you live? I have two in this part of VA.

Frank

Murocflyer
02-03-2009, 08:10 PM
watermelon alsooh yea!Gardening is great:) I like growing stuff you cant get in the market that tastes any good,especially watermelon.Love watermelon:silly:also peas,tomato,strawberrys:D

Its already time out here in the high desert to plant cold weather crops-lettuces,peas,spinach,cabbage,cauliflower
By middle of April its warm weather crops-mmmmm watermelon:ws:

course out here in the desert you have to water everyday in the summer.cheaper to buy em' thats for sure but its good for the soul to garden:$ Best-RT

We have had limited success with watermelons. Although, they are definitely a household favorite here also. The toughest part is trying to pick them when they are ripe since they do not ripen off the vine. I've read all the tips and tricks on knowing when they are ready to pick, but it's all hit or miss. We did get some fantastic ones two seasons ago. Those were perfect and yummy! According to FA and the moon cycle, I need to plant watermelons here on 24 Apr.

Frank

Murocflyer
02-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Now that you mention it Frank, when I was growing up we used to farm about 2 acres. One acre was corn. The other half was the usual suspects. Lettuce, tomatoes, okra, cantaloupe, green beans, radishes. It always kept us pretty busy.

It was also a big factor in why I joined the Army at the ripe old age of 18!:p>
Currently (20 years later) I am still in a "Gardens are Evil" frame of mind.
I'm sure one day I'll switch back and have at least a small back yard garden, but not yet!:D

John,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I was in the same boat. My Dad made us three kids slave in our gardens all summer long. We hated it. Pulling weeds, picking out the rocks, shoveling in the horse manure etc., etc. I still had nightmares about it until 3 years ago. :) But, I started out with a small garden and grew some corn and other vegetables and decided I enjoyed it and it was relaxing. Took my mind off all the day to day stresses. Kinda like a good day at the flying field. Plus having fresh vegetables at the dinner table is great. My wife, steams them in the microwave in these special bags so they don't loose any flavor. Great stuff.

This year I'm going to give peanuts a try and see how they grow. This local is supposed to be famous for peanuts so we'll see how that goes.

Frank

Murocflyer
02-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I have been wanting for some time to get a terrarium habitat for plants. I found a website a long time ago that really sparked my interest originally called Dune Crafts. The simple plastic terrarium makes for an easy gardening which i can stick on my windowsill right in my room.

http://www.dunecraft.com/products/healinggarden.htm

they grow quickly and safely, and its not very high maintencen. These Are for say, kid projects, etc. But i find they can but just as good for anyone else. I was looking at the healing garden personally but I have always believed in herbal remedies for many things. And i love Aloe Vera. it works! lol

Wow, that's interesting! Looks pretty cool and easy to do.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Frank

Murocflyer
02-03-2009, 08:24 PM
I do vegetable gardening every summer, which is sometime short here. Bio gardening is a very zen occupation and I love it. My wife spends about 3 hours a day in her flowers. I never put vegetable trimmings in the trash can since I make my own compost. Since we live in a very rural area, finding seeds and young plants is not a problem...but the weather can be! Last Spring I built a small greenhouse with wooden sticks and plastic sheets. Well, high winds tore it apart 3 weeks later. Radishes, green peas, yellow and green beans, carrots, onions, tomatoes, plus strawberries and blueberries are our usual growings. I never took a look at Almanach or consider the Moon phases for gardening purposes. Happy gardening!

Thanks. My Dad built a greenhouse and grew plants in the winter also! Fresh veggies with snow on the ground is different that's for sure. Sorry to hear about yours getting blown down. I bet that was extremely frustrating.

Here is my list of plants I plan on growing in order of planting dates.

Lettuce
Broccoli
Cabbage
Carrots
Onions
Radish
Peanuts
Spinach
Jalapeņos
Habaneros
Cucumbers
Potatoes
Beans
Cantaloupe
Squash
Watermelon

Frank

max-nix
02-03-2009, 10:06 PM
These seeds are authentic strains which are NOT genetically modified in any way.;)
http://survivalseedbank.com/

http://www.efoodsdirect.com/product-display.html?c=1&id=cseeds

FlyingMonkey
02-04-2009, 01:03 AM

Alpea42
02-05-2009, 04:37 PM
You know occasionally we get into "Doomsday " discussions here in off topic. Global Warming , "Deep Impact, asteroid strikes", Tusnamis , earthquakes and the like. But a much more possible and actually happening event is the extinction of the Honey Bee. And it kinda affects gardening. How in the heck will crops be pollinated without the simple little critter the Bee???

TLyttle
02-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I am amazed that the mites and fungi that are attacking the bees don't get more press. We have no shortage here so far, but all our fruit crops would be just shade trees without the bees.

One of the easiest crops for beginner gardeners are squashes: they grow really well in a pile of composting leaves and grass clippings, and there are some that are as sweet as yams.

As far as a greenhouse is concerned, watch out for old patio doors and shower doors; they make great greenhouses with some ingenuity, and the glass is tough enough to resist all but the most determined vandal...

offtom
02-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Don't have much room for a full size garden since I moved into a big house with a postage stamp yard, so I do the square foot garden method. I'm amazed at how much stuff you can get out of so little space. Neighbors like it too. :)

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

Rolling Thunder
07-29-2009, 05:34 AM
well the bees are buzzing:)

the birds are chirping:$:$

and the $#%* friggn caterpillars are eating all my tomatos:censor:
anybody got any ways to get rid of em' besides spraying pesticides:sad:

Rabbitcreekok
07-29-2009, 05:46 AM
If they are the big fat green ones with the horn on the end (http://organicgardensite.com/bugs-harmful/tomato-horn-worms/), pick them off by hand and squash them. The pop is very gratifying. They hide under the leaves but they leave large round droppings below them, so they are easy to find.

Rolling Thunder
07-29-2009, 06:19 AM
yea those are the suckers.thanx for the link.think I'll go the bt route

TLyttle
07-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Yup, onions. Plant a few around and through your garden (garlic is best), and while you are waiting for them to grow, just scatter the skins and offcuts from the onions you prepare for dinner throughout. Keeps most insects away, including potato beetle...

Ivory soap works as well. Use a veggie peeler to shred part of a bar into some water, mix it up to get rid of lumps, put in a spray bottle, and give 'em hell. Important to use pure soap, though.

Rolling Thunder
07-29-2009, 06:29 PM
cool,I'll try it thanks

aero_k
08-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Hey guys,
I don't really have a garden, but I have some tomatoes, basil, oregano, parsley and mint growing on my apartment balcony. They seem to be doing well enough, got about 20 tomatoes ripening up right now. I consider this "training" for when I eventually own a home with a backyard. Its nice being able to go grab some fresh herbs whenever you need them.

Next year I might try some other veggies, depending on what will grow in a pot with only half a day of sun.

darylm44
08-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I have had a vegetable garden since we moved into our current home in 95, but this year will be the last. Mr Moose has visited us 4 times and devastated all the cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts. We are getting beets, turnips, carrots, lettuce, beans, and peas but it seems like a lot of effort to give more to Mr. Moose than we get.

My wife suggested that we should trade some vegetables to Mr. Moose for some meat :D To bad it's illegal.:eek::eek:

jkaven
08-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I love to grow chilies, tomatoes and fruits. I had to sell my house and move around a lot so it's not possible now. Instead I go to the farmers markets when I can.

It seems store bought fruit these days is always unripe and sour. The hot chilies are rarely hot enough.

TLyttle
08-04-2009, 01:33 AM
We have little problem with deer and moose, but the local historic site has some veteran apple trees that should be targets for them. They protect the trees with Irish Spring soap, hanging in cheesecloth bags around the fenceline. Works perfect.

I used to cliff-dwell (live in an apartment), and still ran a passable garden on the (small) deck in garbage bags, 1/3 full of potting soil. Carrots, potatoes (Kennebecks), tomatoes, etc. Somehow, picking them at their peak makes them taste better.... ;-)