PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to get rid of the "thanked" comment lines after posts?

rcers
03-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Anyway to get rid of the "thanked" comment lines after posts - really distracting when reading posts IMHO.

Mike

smokejohnson
03-16-2009, 12:57 AM
I also find it distracting...I didn't know if maybe I was the only one :o.

rcers
03-16-2009, 01:36 AM
I also find it distracting...I didn't know if maybe I was the only one :o.

Thanks - I was hopeful for some support!

capt. crash
03-16-2009, 02:23 AM
+1!!

someone please remove it! I'm begging you!

ok, a little melodramatic, but still I honestly think it sucks and it doesn't seem to even show who thanked so kinda pointless...

-BUT-
I'm glad that the thanks button got put back though!

birdDog
03-16-2009, 02:27 AM
Be thankful for the thanks line. :)

rcers
03-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Thanked posts is fine....don't have an issue with that.... :)

capt. crash
03-16-2009, 02:32 AM
does any one see who thanked smokejohnson (post #2), or see that he is thanked?

(Btw it was me, so not a big mystery, it's a thanks for past stuff I guess)

firemanbill
03-16-2009, 02:34 AM
If you thank someone for the same post you will see who else did as well.

Be patient guys. We are working on it. Give us a little break, we can't make everybody happy all the time....

capt. crash
03-16-2009, 02:36 AM
hmm, not showing me who all thanked him... it just says the following 2 users thanked smokejohnson, and the little field by it is totally blank, I don't even see my own name there after 1 refresh, which is a little wierd

birdDog
03-16-2009, 02:36 AM
does any one see who thanked smokejohnson (post #2), or see that he is thanked?

(Btw it was me, so not a big mystery, it's a thanks for past stuff I guess)

Odd, I clicked the thanks and two names popped up, I didn't really see the first one, and mine. I clicked off the page to reply. Then I clicked back to see who the first name was and both names had disappeared. When I clicked the thanks button again, the whole thanks bar diappeared!:red:

It's all good Bill. I will take it easy on the server and mods, admin, etc....
Oh yeah! Thanks for sponsoring my AMA app. last year. I just rejoined (was expecting a reminder from them) and wanted to say THANKS again. :)

firemanbill
03-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Odd, I clicked the thanks and two names popped up, I didn't really see the first one, and mine. I clicked off the page to reply. Then I clicked back to see who the first name was and both names had disappeared. When I clicked the thanks button again, the whole thanks bar diappeared!:red:

Once you thank someone it goes away so you can't thank them more than once for the same post.

gfdengine204
03-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Geez, Thanks Rob! :Q

capt. crash
03-16-2009, 02:39 AM
If you thank someone for the same post you will see who else did as well.

Be patient guys. We are working on it. Give us a little break, we can't make everybody happy all the time....

lol, sorry firemanbill if you think I'm giving you mods a hard time I was being a little overdramatic (meant in a joking kinda of manner), it still is better to have the bar and thanks button instead of no bar and no thanks button.

firemanbill
03-16-2009, 02:40 AM
No sweat guys, it's all good. We'll get it sorted out.:)

capt. crash
03-16-2009, 02:41 AM
seems a little weird to me also that the list of who thanked someone only shows names once and then is empty forever more... ?????

birdDog
03-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Geez, Thanks Rob! :Q

Except for you Kev. Where's the CWC? Hurry up!:)

gfdengine204
03-16-2009, 02:43 AM
Except for you Kev. Where's the CWC? Hurry up!:)Wrong thread. I was out of the house all day, with a small exception where I had to take my baseball umpire test for IHSA today.

I had a couple spare minutes, so I cut a new 1/16th balsa ply plate for my motor mount. :D

Rabbitcreekok
03-16-2009, 05:48 AM
hmm, not showing me who all thanked him... it just says the following 2 users thanked smokejohnson, and the little field by it is totally blank, I don't even see my own name there after 1 refresh, which is a little wierd

seems a little weird to me also that the list of who thanked someone only shows names once and then is empty forever more... ?????

Ahhhh, Crash, it says below Smokes post that "The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smokejohnson For This Useful Post".

The following two users are rcers and Capt. Crash. The only time a name shows up in the block is when the person doing the thanking is not directly below the post.

I thanked you in post 7 and my name shows up there and it will stay there.

EDIT

Now I have egg on my face. I opened up this thread in another window and thanked you there and my name did show up below your post. Then when I posted this post in the other window, my name went away below your name and it appears that Bill thanked you for your post.

It appears that as Bill said, there are glitches in the software.

Larry3215
03-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Interesting

capt. crash
03-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Interesting
that's one way to put it! I do kinda like the idea of showing who did thanking for a post actually btw. Even without the glitches I wouldn't like the way it is implemented now just because it seems to kinda subtract from reading actual posts since it is it's own separate bar... maybe adding a small line at the bottom of a post if it has been thanked, not sure exactly b/c it would need room to grow in case 1 post gets thanked a ton.... kind of an interesting problem of figuring out where to put it, lol...

also it would be nice if like how you have a show all signatures/hide all signatures link at the bottom of posts if you had a show all thanks/hide all thanks link that would make everyone happy once the glitching is fixed...

also is there a link/button to view a list of all thanked posts by a specific person?

good luck mods trying to fix the mess! :Q

LipoPilot
03-16-2009, 08:37 AM
What is the thanks button for????? Purpose?

ministeve2003
03-16-2009, 08:47 AM
d

Larry3215
03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
What is the thanks button for????? Purpose?

I suppose its for use any time you feel you would normally say "thanks" to someone on the forums.

Some people use it more liberally than others Im sure. Some folks click it if you compliment their build for example. Sort of a social 'thanks'.

I save my 'Thanks clicks' for people who provide good technical advice or help in solving someones modeling problems or a good building tip etc. So my 'Thanks' are more technical in nature than social.

I dont think there is any rule to follow and cant see how one could be enforced if there was :)

firemanbill
03-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Larry you are spot on with your response. It is intended for that use. The "problem" we have is that it always seems to turn into a popularity thing of sorts.

not digging on the "ignore this thread" thread, but, there were several thanks in there today for no apparent reason whatsoever.

It is a balancing act of sorts to keep things going so that everyone can get use out of it.

Thanks to everyone (without pushing the button) for your responses and ideas here.

rcers
03-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Have no issue with thanks - but again the issue is having those appear in the context of the thread - really decreases readability IMHO.

So is there a way users can disable that - or are we just stuck? :)

Mike

firemanbill
03-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Have no issue with thanks - but again the issue is having those appear in the context of the thread - really decreases readability IMHO.

So is there a way users can disable that - or are we just stuck? :)

Mike

Stuck for now. We have asked Nathan to remove it. When he sees the request I am sure he will.

rcers
03-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Cool - we can be patient.....

ministeve2003
03-16-2009, 09:09 PM
d

Mike Parsons
03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Yes, it can be filtered out.. :)

I need a "Thanks to all" Button...

gfdengine204
03-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes, it can be filtered out.. :)

I need a "Thanks to all" Button...

Don't you start.....:)

firemanbill
03-16-2009, 09:27 PM
HEY! Who was that masked penguin!?:Q

Mike Parsons
03-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Don't you start.....:)
LOL. :D

HEY! Who was that masked penguin!?:Q
Swoosh!

gfdengine204
03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Swoosh!
More like "Swish"......:Q

Mike Parsons
03-16-2009, 09:55 PM
More like "Swish"......:Q
Or splash :)

capt. crash
03-16-2009, 10:30 PM
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=579788&postcount=31401

hey mods! this is the only post I have seen that has shown me who did the thanking at a time other than when I am in the act of thanking someone! it's kinda weird, it showed it before I thanked him and still after! unsure what's up with it!

Mike Parsons
03-17-2009, 01:20 AM
It is a code mismatch. That is why you are seeing it on some, but not others. When I initially set up the Thank you product, I eliminated the "show who thanked" for two reasons...one is the extra look up time it took (query) and the second is I knew it would be obnoxious. It appears (and I am guessing) that the update on the software edited my "edits" in certain places and kept them in others.

That is why you are seeing the inconsistencies. It will get sorted out in short order I am sure. I know the staff thanks you for your patience. :)

capt. crash
03-17-2009, 02:37 AM
lol, it's all fine, I just figured it wouldn't hurt at all to point out things like that when I notice them.

edit: btw I have thanks bar disappeared! thanks mods for removing it until you get it figured out!

firemanbill
03-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Should be back to normal now. Nathan reports in that he has fixed it all up.

Let us know if something is still askew.

ministeve2003
03-17-2009, 03:49 AM
d

firemanbill
03-17-2009, 03:53 AM
LOL... Why do I get the feeling you are not joking???:Q

capt. crash
03-17-2009, 04:02 AM
maybe he's not! i like the idea too!