PDA

View Full Version : adhesive to attach velcro to battery pack?

Alaska
01-30-2010, 05:40 PM
I used some Goop brand vinyl-type adhesive to attach velcro to a couple of packs. I let it cure for a couple of days. First time I stuck the pack in the plane and then removed it, the velcro came off the pack. Is there a better adhesive to stick the velcro to the slick plastic pack?

Or, I was thinking maybe double-sided tape would work?

gramps2361
01-30-2010, 05:56 PM
The velcro you have it doesn't have a sticky side to it? I use velcro that has a sticky side and use it for the battery. The adhesive grabs the shrink on the battery good. On the plane I add some epoxy to glue it to the battery deck. Those battery covering are pretty slick with he plastic shrink wrap on them I don't know what you would use to glue velcro to the battery. Good luck sure some one has a method for this.

billintn
01-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I had the same happen. I have used the self-stick velcro from wal mart, it STICKS!. also have wrapped a strip of painters tape around the battery and stuck the velcro to that with goop. That's the way I attach receiver and servos, wrap masking tape around then glue with Goop.

Cheers, Bill

cisc0box
01-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Adhesive velcro like the above people are stating - OR -

Perhaps you can glue the velcro on a piece of duct tape and then wrap the small piece of tape around the battery. There are probably better tapes to use for this ... but you get the idea. Glue the velcro on something you can attach to the battery.

Not sure which glues might be safe to use on the battery itself. (ones that can be used on plastic I assume)

Angler-Hi
01-30-2010, 06:20 PM
All you need is the self-adhesive velcro from Wal-Mart...no need for gluing velcro friend. Alot of times when folks try to glue velcro, it seeps into the fibers and causes a mess. Just pick up some self-adhesive stuff and you will be good to go.

If you're mounting the self-adhesive velcro into a "foam" battery bay or surface, then you would want to wear the velcro down a bit...I say this because as the velcro will adhere extremely well to other surfaces such as wood, plastic and metal...the extreme "hold" of the velcro may be too much for the foam surface when pulling the battery out of your plane. I once put self adhesive velcro on my battery and my foam plane...when I went to remove the battery, it pulled the velcro right off the foam. That's why I recommend hooking the velcro together and pulling it off again over and over until it doesn't take as much "pull" to get it off. Do this before applying the velcro to your battery and battery bay.

If you're flying a plane with a balsa and ply battery bay, just stick the velcro on and go fly. No need to wear it down. Good luck friend.

birdDog
01-30-2010, 06:29 PM
I use some of the self adhesive stuff on batteries and it WILL NOT come off. It is Velcro brand and I have honestly had to use pliers to pull it off.

cyclops2
01-30-2010, 06:33 PM
One side is the hooks. otherside is the loops. always locks. Look in a fabric store.
you could glue a 1"or larger piece of Velcro to a small piece of thin plywood that is the floor size of the battery. then glue the plywood to whatever.

Rich

Old Fart
01-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Don't know what they have at Wal-Mart, but Home Depot carries 2 kinds, a black series that's about 1" wide and a white series that's a bit wider. The white stuff is a LOT stronger adhesive - I've pulled the skin off of several lipos trying to remove it :)

kyleservicetech
01-30-2010, 08:18 PM
I used some Goop brand vinyl-type adhesive to attach velcro to a couple of packs. I let it cure for a couple of days. First time I stuck the pack in the plane and then removed it, the velcro came off the pack. Is there a better adhesive to stick the velcro to the slick plastic pack?

Or, I was thinking maybe double-sided tape would work?

I've had the sticky type Velcro come loose from a balsa wood backing. One cure for that is to first give the balsa sheet a very thin layer of yellow glue, such as Titebond, wait for 24 hours, then apply the Velcro.

As far as getting that velcro off of a battery, that's another matter. I use the plastic soda bottles from the grocery store to shrink wrap my A123 cells. That soda bottle plastic is just about indistructable.

Don't know if it would be a good idea to put this soda bottle plastic around a Lipo though. It shrinks pretty tight, could be enough to damage a Lipo pack. (A123 cells have metal cases)

gramps2361
01-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Doing that to a lipo would cause it to retain heat one reason our lipos have only a thin shrink wrap on them so heat can escape, plus keep down the wgt.

cisc0box
01-30-2010, 08:36 PM
You can find "button" velcros at Walmart as well if I remember correctly .... they're just adhesive velcro that come in premade dots. I think they carry different sizes as well.

Don Sims
01-30-2010, 08:46 PM
I use the "Industrial Strength" velcro from WMT and it works great. The cheaper stuff comes off at the wrong time.

kyleservicetech
01-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Doing that to a lipo would cause it to retain heat one reason our lipos have only a thin shrink wrap on them so heat can escape, plus keep down the wgt.

Good point, I'd thought of that, but I've never owned a Lipo :o.

All my models use A123s and head really isn't an issue. In fact, I've had them sitting in the hot sun, check the battery temperature, flew the model, checked the temperature on landing, and found the battery cooled off by a few degrees!

rea59
01-30-2010, 09:46 PM
I use the Industrial Strength Velcro made by Velcro USA Inc. Bought it at Wallyworld (sorry) Walmart. It has a heavy duty adhesive that you can not pull off a battery pack. It's 2 inches wide by 15 feet long and has worked well on Depron/Batteries/Wood/ect. I can honestly say that at times the adhesive sticks too well.

Alaska
01-30-2010, 11:43 PM
I didn't even think about the self-adhesive velcro.... I have about 10 feet of 2" wide velcro in 8-12" lengths that I salvaged, and it doesn't have any adhesive on the back. I was trying to use some of that.

I might wrap the packs in tape and glue it to the tape, that would work. Maybe next time I'm in Walmart or Home Depot I'll grab some of the self-adhesive type too.

Thanks guys.

Dr Kiwi
02-01-2010, 03:15 AM
You can buy Velcro brand adhesive (orange and white 1fl.oz tube - Velcro USA Inc, Manchester, NH).

Catalina
02-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Mate,
I just glue the velcro (sticky back or not) using CA glue to the foam in my plane. Then glue the other side of the velcro to my Li Po battery using CA glue.
It never comes off and doesnt damage the batteries in any way.
This has been tested with numerous crashes.

MustangMan
02-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I've had problems with Velcro glued with CA coming loose from battery packs. I like using a very thin film of gorilla glue. I've never had a problem with that coming off. I especially like using gorilla glue to attach velcro to EPP. The "foaming" action of gorilla glue causes it to fill the foam pores and find lots of surface to attach to.

Modifier
02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Been using the Velcro "one wrap" strips, along with hot glueing the velcro to packs (furry side), and the hook side glued down in the tray/fuse. The pack shrink wrap gets wiped down with QD elec cleaner first, then few small dots of hot glue on the velcro tape side before it gets laid in place (quickly). I usually rough up the foam before that side gets velcro-glued, depends on if it has been painted or not.

Soft strength (non-industrial) velcro.

Balsa-use velcro gets epoxied if the velcro has to be glued on.

Glacier Girl
02-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Don't forget the old standard 3M's 777 contact adhesive.
Spray a coating on each item, let dry and stick em together. They aren't coming apart.

And as someone mentioned earlier, you need to coat balsa or lite ply first before applying velcro. I usually apply a skim coat of thin CA, let it dry and then apply the velcro, The CA bites into the wood, and gives a smooth surface for the velcro adhesive to bite to.

With velcro you do need to be a little careful using "industrial" versions. I have two spools of 3M's version, it's double plastic instead of hook and loop. It has it's good points as it doesn't attach to it's mate until you press it firmly into place.

Bad part, if you want to call it that, is it is nearly impossible to pull apart. It will rip apart foam long before it lets go.

rcers
02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I've had the sticky type Velcro come loose from a balsa wood backing.

Me too - I always epoxy (and yes I use the industrial strength from Wally world) to wood or foam. If/when it starts to pull from a battery pack I use a dab of epoxy to re-secure.

I wish all the ARF's would come without holes down the center of battery trays - when they do I glue a 1/16" sheet of balsa down first then a thin line of epoxy right down the center of the hook side of the Velcro. The adhesive sticks it down while the epoxy cures. Then I dab a little epoxy on both ends of the Velcro so it can't start to pull up.

I use the same procedure of using a wood block in foam planes as well - epoxy the wood to foam then Velcro to wood.

On my larger planes I only use a small strip of Velcro - the seat belt does the work of holding. You only eject one battery before you learn about seat belts for batteries. At least one was enough for me. :) A 3s 2200 pack is the largest I will use without one now.

No issues.

Mike

AirmanAirhead
02-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Whatever you end up using, clean the battery surface with some alcohol and make sure it is dry before putting the velcro on. These slick surfaces get slicker from oil from your fingers. I've found the self adhesive stuff to work just fine, and when needed, 3M 77 gives it extra holding power. CA will also help if you don't use too much.

AA

stilp
09-09-2011, 06:41 AM
If using contact adhesive to attach velcro/hook&loop to batteries that are wrapped, I have noticed some are roughing the wrap with sandpaper (180 grit?) before applying adhesive and then cleaning the surface with IPA (alcohol) I'm convinced roughing it up would help with this adhesive and maybe most others.[popcorn]

Modifier
09-09-2011, 05:34 PM
If using contact adhesive to attach velcro/hook&loop to batteries that are wrapped, I have noticed some are roughing the wrap with sandpaper (180 grit?) before applying adhesive and then cleaning the surface with IPA (alcohol) I'm convinced roughing it up would help with this adhesive and maybe most others.[popcorn]

If your batts have the dull heat shrink wrap, then you probably don't need to scuff it at all, just a swipe with alc or your favorite no-residue cleaner. That one is up to the user.

If it's the slick, see-thru cellpohane style of heat wrap on the batt,,then definitely scuff it.

I tested both shrink wraps with my hot glue trick I posted up above before commiting a pack to it, to make sure the glue wasn't melting thru to the cells. It wasn't, and the two pieces (wrap and velcro) were locked together permanently,,no amount of pulling would separate the two. Just don't touch the tip of the hot glue gun to the wrap, or it will/could cook thru.

cjg
09-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Shoe Goo works well. However the best choice is self adhesive velcro.

solentlife
09-23-2011, 10:27 AM
A good base to fit into a foam or other model is old expired plastic credit card size frequent flyer cards or similar ... (I do not advise credit cards themselves !! ). Epoxied down - they give an excellent surface for self adhesive velcro to adhere to.

As to wrapping anything around a LiPo ... like another says - they need to shed heat and extra wrapping may impede that.

Standard Velcro sold over counter suits my LiPo's but then again on my 450 helis - they also have a velcro strap around ... in my planes - they are into battery compartments with lids / canopies to also hold them in place.