PDA

View Full Version : i have to stop winding up certain people !

solentlife
03-19-2015, 09:30 AM
Not on WF .... no way, on WF we have an forum full of genuine people.

No its the 'dark-side' - I have a screeming urge so often to wind them up. I detest self-appointed experts.

Its going to get me banned over there someday. Shame really as there are very good people and info over there being a larger membership. But so spoiled by the few who tend to club together in the 'self-appreciation' club.

That's where I come in .... post crap - wait for the bite, strike and hook 'em in ! Doesn't bother
me that I may be looked on as idiot. Too old to worry about that now !

It just amazes me how serious some of them get and how hot under the collar.

Oh well - I have a tussle going on at present with one of the regulars, was going great till one of the threads was closed ! Now I'm down to one thread, looking for another to open the game up again !

Happy days !

Nigel

JetPlaneFlyer
03-19-2015, 09:58 AM
That's where I come in .... post crap - wait for the bite, strike and hook 'em in !

As the risk of being one of those who gets accused of taking stuff too seriously and 'biting'...

"Post crap and wait for a bite" is called Trolling, and it's generally seen as seriously bad form and against the rules on most if not all internet forums. This is because by definition it's intended to drag people into arguments and futuile debate which really drags down the tone of the forum and puts people off participating. There are plenty of forums out there where you can see this going on all the time, but just because others do it doesnt make it ok.

Plus of couse some inexperienced people reading might actually believe the 'crap' being as it's coming from an experienced modeller.

There is the LTUP sub forum (http://www.rcgroups.com/life-the-universe-and-politics-22/) over on RCGroups thats a no holds barred free for all where trolling is allowed and in fact is the norm... That's the place to go if you enjoy a wind up, but be warned, you need thick skin!

solentlife
03-19-2015, 10:39 AM
OK Guilty as charged Sir !

Ah but c'mon - some of these guys deserve everything thrown at them. And I do tend to stay away from where damage to newbie could occur.

Its generally the fuel guys who create a science out of nothing that really gets me going. And I know for certain that a couple do single me out for 'special' treatment !

I think it good that WF is clear of the type who are argumentative for sake of it - types I include in my target list. My list as I understand from others PM's to me are also regarded as such by others.
So I am not only one who does it.

Life's too short to be serious all the time. You want to be on flight site with me - I believe in enjoying it ! Safely though.

Anyway sitting in Changi Airport now waiting flight out.

Cheers
Nigel

pizzano
03-19-2015, 04:11 PM
LOL Nigel........

To" stir the pot" occasionally keeps the sauce from sticking to the bottom and burning.....thus, keeping the sauce from resulting in a bitter and roasted taste......;)

As far as "trolling" goes, quite a few throw around or use that term incorrectly when accusing others of what really amounts to "calling one out" when the BS starts to get to thick.....and the "know it all's" start getting personal.......even I have been accused of being a troll here at WF, when in reality I'm just trying to keep things "real"........:D

Like suggested, if one's skin is thin......don't put yourself in a position to get pinched.....otherwise, one will most certainly walk away with bruises.....:rolleyes:

theapplepi3.14
03-19-2015, 10:14 PM
I was once falsely accused of being a troll on a completely different forum. They thought I was acting too passionate and ignorant to be real. The reality was I was really interested in the topic and I had NEVER been on a forum before so I was always making mistakes. Plus the people on the forum had these unwritten rules and lots of 20 year old veterans who had been on since the forum started 5 years ago and who hated new users. Basically I had walked into the middle of a cliche war and my ignorance got me banned.:(

If I become one of these pseudo-experts you are referring to please shoot me a PM and Ill stop :) [popcorn]

Also, if you want some real trolling action just go to a conspiracy theory youtube video's comment section, find a good heated discussion, and have fun!:D

JetPlaneFlyer
03-19-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm not commenting on anyone in particular here, i dont even know who Nigel is referring to. This is just a general observation....

Why has the term 'expert' become a dirty word?

'Experts' often draw criticism as if being an expert and having knowledge is actually a bad thing. Some of those experts that draw so much criticism really are extremely knowledgeable and very clever people. They did not 'appoint themselves' as anything, they just happen to know a lot about their subject, probably due to hard work and study on their part, why is that a bad thing?

Sometimes they might rub others up purely because they are almost always right, and in being right and proving their point maybe show others to be wrong. Again, is being right a bad thing these days?

Sure some of these experts maybe don't have great personal skills, but since when did genuine subject matter expertise require you to be 'nice'?

theapplepi3.14
03-19-2015, 11:16 PM
I see what you are saying. That is why I used the term pseudo-expert: I was talking about people who talk like they know everything but don't know anything/are just guessing like everyone else.

I just love it when there is an unanswered problem in some subject and two different pseudo-experts fight it out over which theory is correct when the real correct answer is that we don't know yet. When that happens I do this:[popcorn]

gadgeter
03-19-2015, 11:34 PM
I hear ya!!!! Way to serious sometimes. I am a modeler of several years ago and enjoy conversing w others and getting advice and different views. But this is a hobby that is fun for me. I talk about it lightly and not how many mm/ lbs to put on a motor mount screw.
I too have been accused of trolling just because I sounded too liaise faire (sp?) I guess. Also have been called down for a misspelled word a few times.

Really? The forums are a great source of info and communication and I can appreciate some rules but common sense is all you need.

Modeling is fun but you need a life as well

pizzano
03-20-2015, 02:23 AM
I'm not commenting on anyone in particular here, i dont even know who Nigel is referring to. This is just a general observation....

Why has the term 'expert' become a dirty word?

'Experts' often draw criticism as if being an expert and having knowledge is actually a bad thing. Some of those experts that draw so much criticism really are extremely knowledgeable and very clever people. They did not 'appoint themselves' as anything, they just happen to know a lot about their subject, probably due to hard work and study on their part, why is that a bad thing?

Sometimes they might rub others up purely because they are almost always right, and in being right and proving their point maybe show others to be wrong. Again, is being right a bad thing these days?

Sure some of these experts maybe don't have great personal skills, but since when did genuine subject matter expertise require you to be 'nice'?

It's not what one believes" themselves" to possess as an authority, specfic skill or advanced knowledge of.........it's what ones peer's accept and acknowledge as an "expertise" that justifies the term "expert"........anyone can claim to be an expert and provide supporting detail. But, if no one acknowledges the accomplishments (particularly ones peers), it just becomes a matter of "public opinion"......of which anyone can stake a claim to possess....:rolleyes:

theapplepi3.14
03-20-2015, 02:48 AM
I'm king of Tenochtitlan

JetPlaneFlyer
03-20-2015, 08:11 AM
It's not what one believes" themselves" to possess as an authority, specfic skill or advanced knowledge of.........it's what ones peer's accept and acknowledge as an "expertise" that justifies the term "expert"........anyone can claim to be an expert and provide supporting detail. But, if no one acknowledges the accomplishments (particularly ones peers), it just becomes a matter of "public opinion"......of which anyone can stake a claim to possess....:rolleyes:
Indeed and that's part of the problem because in a subject in which a person is clueless how do they tell the real 'experts' from the BS merchants? In the 'real world' it's relatively easy because experts often get letters put after their names such as Phd, MD, M.Eng etc, but there isnt such visible accreditation in the online world, and even if you have those things it's usually seen as bad form to point it out.

I think at least one or two of the 'experts' that Nigel refers to are people who actually do have 'expertise'. I think what winds Nigel up is the fact they they may show that expertise in a somewhat arrogant way and one that might be seen as sometimes putting down other people (usually other people who are in fact incorrect). To be totally honest I think i do probably know at least one of the guys who got Nigel's back up over on RCGroups (i've seen some of the clashes). This guy I'm thinking about is genuinely 'expert' in most things related to RC, a really knowledgeable and clever guy, but his 'people skills' suck. For me though that doesn't make him any less of an 'expert'.

hayofstacks
03-20-2015, 08:16 AM
I've been called a troll plenty of times, specifically on this forum. It doesn't bother me, but if someone really goats me long enough, ill do something like make a proof video. Then my proof video gets flagged on YouTube and i get complaints from mods for my signature, and the original thread gets edited by the person calling me a troll. Too bad I tend to quote people.

solentlife
03-20-2015, 08:42 AM
OK ... having spent 12hrs Singapore to Amsterdam - this thread has been mulling around my head.

So to clear up a few points.

1. In fact I do not contravene any forum rule in what I admit doing. How can that be ? Simple - my bait is simple statement that has element of doubtful in to attract the sharks.
2. I do not throw the first 'punch' - that is left to the other guy(s).

So I do not 'troll', I do not 'insult' ..... I just drag em out to show their characters ...

I can accept being wrong, I'm human. JPF knows that well as we have had PM chats before. What I detest is the insulting style the people use. Expert knowledge becomes shaded by such inability to hold proper discussion. Its believe me unconditionally, you are an idiot, damned if you dare to be different.

They also get so embroiled in their own - that they often fail to appreciate others even partial correctness. They condemn all that doesn't follow their line. Very few people are actually 100% correct but these people extrapolate to state all.

Originally I did it to try and instill a bit of humble pie, but it never worked so became a 'game' to while away boring times.

If everyone was to stay only the subjects they know - what a boring life it'd be.

Another factor they misunderstand, if a post is made that has errors, it promotes discussion to arrive at more correct. Unfortunately again their own personal view of their infallibility makes them cut all discussion by their style and content of reply.

Quite often I feel sorry for newcomers to our great hobby. They don't want to hear about Bernoulli, Darwin, Newton ... and especially when the aerodynamics guys get started. They are looking for simple answers to a problem .... not a Doctorate on the subject.

I have a background in my work that puts me squarely in the ring with this. I used to train up Inspectors as part of my remit. I taught them why and what. Not as others in other geographic regions did - they just taught to do as told and theory. My guys have near all moved on and up, based on simple and understandable foundation.

You may have guessed I am sitting in airport again waiting connecting flight !!

Thanks for all - yes includes you JPF for - WF style and appreciation.

Cheers
Nigel

dereckbc
03-21-2015, 05:37 PM
1. In fact I do not contravene any forum rule in what I admit doing. How can that be ? Simple - my bait is simple statement that has element of doubtful in to attract the sharks.Nigel that just means you are a Passive Aggressive Troll. :D

I understand what you are saying, I have some of the same troubles with comments especially about batteries / power / charging made here and on RCG I know is flawed. Example Parallel Charging.

What works is make your statement based on known published facts, take what you like, and leave the rest.

tr4252
03-21-2015, 06:53 PM
It seldom surprises me that there are so many people out there on the net who are egotistical in that particular negative way. I suppose that it's the nature of the internet; anybody can say anything, and no assurance of truth except what you can verify yourself.

Since one can't tell much about the individuals we encounter, I don't take anyone very seriously. Is that a mature, affluent knife collector writing to me, or an obese 12 year old boy confined to a small dingy bedroom? Don't know, don't care.

I miss the pretty Russian girl who used to write me though; promised to fly here and adore me forever, if she could just get enough money, in spite of my looking like a deformed little monkey. True love. But somehow I couldn't help visualizing an overweight 50 year old man with excessive hair in his nose when I was reading her emails.

Tom

theapplepi3.14
03-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Yup. I hear you. The Narsasistick is not helping either...
:rolleyes:

dahawk
03-21-2015, 10:22 PM
I agree that the "other" forum has more guys beating their chests than the gorilla at the zoo. A lot of threads get quite contemptuous.

The one thing that is valuable over there to me is that there are threads on particular models of interest. Examples : HK DC-3, Freewing F5N Tiger II, Phoenix EMB-312 Tucano and Decathlon, 50mm Skyangels, PZ SU-29, FMS 1450 P-51, Roc Hobby Voodoo, etc. All models that I currently fly. I tune in to the plane specific threads to learn and to share what I've learned.

This forum has much more friendly mentorship and camaraderie.

-Hawk

pattern14
04-18-2015, 12:59 PM
These days I rarely post on any forums, and it was by sheer coincidence that i came across this thread tonight. Not being a member of a club, and living/flying in rural semi isolation, Wattflyer has been a tremendous benefit over the last 8 years or so. Sadly, flying R/C remains almost non existant where I live, and the wild weather deters any newcomers anyway. I've achieved what I wanted to, but the "seriousness" of the hobby in other forums jaded me as well. I'll quietly keep building my Luftwaffe experimentals on long winter nights , and flying them on gale force days, but stay out of the "I know more than you" mind set and ARF centred forums. Happy flying:)