PDA

View Full Version : AMA's new Model Aviation Magazine Sept 2005 issue looks pretty darn good

admin
08-26-2005, 03:50 AM
I just got the latest Model Aviation (AMA Magazine) and they gave it a makeover. I have to give them kudos as they did a really nice job. Lots of color pics, nice layout, more interesting content. A real nice step in the right direction. I've been an outspoken critic of the magazine and its cost vs benefit but the latest issue is a great stride in a positive direction.

Mike Parsons
08-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Agreed. I just recieved mine tonight and have been looking it over. A nice cosmetic change.

rcers
08-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Yep I like MA and always have. Don't know why it gets such bad reviews from modellers. Well balance on e-flight too.

I really like the new look and feel. Welcome and about time, it was looking dated.

Mike

atlav8r
08-28-2005, 01:41 AM
Got mine today and it does look better, Still needs a better Electric attitude however.
Looking forward to seeing more as the magazine matures to the technology driving the hobby forward.

skyvolt12
08-28-2005, 03:29 AM
It would be much better if they hadnt 86 Bob Kopski. It was his info and articles that got me started. I built his Skyvolt and Revolt great flyers. Skyvolt12

rcers
08-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Still needs a better Electric attitude however.

Lets see Sep 05 issue has a CL brushless motor plane, battery clinic by Red Scholefield, Airplanes of the aviator on an 8 motor electric Herc, 3d Hammer build article, Building electric planes with foam, FAQ with Bob Aberle on micro flight (all electrics).

So just how do they need a better electiric attitude?

Mike

atlav8r
08-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Lets see Sep 05 issue has a CL brushless motor plane, battery clinic by Red Scholefield, Airplanes of the aviator on an 8 motor electric Herc, 3d Hammer build article, Building electric planes with foam, FAQ with Bob Aberle on micro flight (all electrics).

So just how do they need a better electiric attitude?

Mike

"Attitude" and "content" are two different things ;-)
Content comes to press when there is nothing else to print. The other 4 major mags have been full of E content for 2 years now representing the mass appeal of consumers and pilots. It is only now (in the last issue or two) that some E content has come to be.

It is my opinion that the AMA is deathly scared of the Epilot as they think it is a threat to the membership base of the org. I am not a believer of this thinking as I like change and think it is an opportunity for growth but I don't think the elders can see the long run benefit.

rcers
08-29-2005, 02:42 PM
It is only now (in the last issue or two) that some E content has come to be.

They are late to the dance, no question, but they always have been a touch now haven't they?

It is my opinion that the AMA is deathly scared of the Epilot as they think it is a threat to the membership base of the org. I am not a believer of this thinking as I like change and think it is an opportunity for growth but I don't think the elders can see the long run benefit.

Yep you are correct, they are not changing quickly enough. Interesting, I don't belong to a club (long story) but went to the club feild nearest me this weekend. Flew Saturday from 8a-11:30am. Nice day, little wind.

Here were aircraft being flown:
3-4 small electric helo's
2 large electric helo's
5 large glow helo's (.60-.90's)
1-Herr Mini sport brushless outrunner
1-Herr Little Somthin Extra brushless outrunner
1-Hangar 9 p51 (large AXI powered)
1-SA Large cap (outrunner)
1-SA g300 outrunner
1-Freedom 3d electic
1-GP venus Hacker powered
1-World models Chippy AXI powered
1-Hobbico twin star
7-8 more various small electrics.

Not one glow plane. Not one gas plane.

Interesting EH?

inconel710
09-08-2005, 07:19 PM
HMMMM. I may have to renew my membership to AMA. I let it lapse while I've been overseas. Thanks for the review.

ggimlick
09-19-2005, 10:33 PM
As the guy who came in behind the legendary Bob Kopski I should stay quiet on this thread, but oh well. Bob Kopski wrote the information that got me into electrics many years ago and when I became a columnist for another magazine he provided me with information and help over the years. Bob is a heck of a modeler and individual.

I was hesitant to take over the column and had no idea about what was going on behind the scenes with his retirement or firing or whatever it really was. I don't intend to debate the situation either and I think Bob deserves for it to be left alone. I only hope he will continue to produce feature articles for MA. I'm a writer and have no part in the administration of the magazine or organization.....and wouldn't want to....I'm a modeler.

I will say that I got some very nasty, rude and incredibly condemning letters from some fans of Bob's column placing the blame firmly on me for forcing him out. Odd since I was writing for MAN at the time and not MA. Knowing Bob I'm sure he would have been embarassed to read some of them. Oh well, I've got big shoulders and if it felt good to vent, then that's fine.

Now on to the future. Bob Hunt is finally getting to do some of the things he's wanted to do since he took over the editorship of the magazine. I'm sure there will be many changes as they evolve and develop the new format. I know the color photos sure makes it a lot nicer to do a column and their using digital photos brings them into the real world. Now that he has an assistant editor I'm sure it will get better too as he has a lot of modeling and editorial experience.

As always I welcome input for the electric column ([email protected]) and have gotten much of it lately that will show up in future issues. I was glad to see the bimontly format for my column alternating with Red's battery column, but then I also fight the problem of being timely when a column runs every other month. Red has been a great resource for the battery and charger info so it was definitely a good decision on someone's part.

Just my idle ramblings on the MA situationl. I think they're going to get better and better and I support their efforts.

rcers
09-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Greg you are doing just fine. I have read your stuff, it takes a while for guys to warm up but they will!

Mike

atlav8r
09-19-2005, 10:43 PM
The last two issues have been a big improvement and I can see the effort towards Electric from the publications department. Hopefully the administration will not go the way Eastman Kodak did with Digital and try to prolong the inevitable running the company into the ground.

My company is supporting this transformation and has signed a contract for FP color ads to promote electric and complement our advertising in Quiet Flyer, Model Airplane news and Fly RC.

Cliff Whitney
Atlantahobby.com

ggimlick
09-19-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the encouragement :-)

My only complaint with the magazines going to digital is that you now see "enhanced" photos.....meaning there are a lot of fake things going on. When I wrote for Model Airplane News during Larry Marshall's editorship it was the toughest photo requirements I had ever seen. We sent color slides and there were no corrections done digitally. What you saw is what you did and it really made a better photographer out of us. You had real pride in getting a gatefold photo published, etc.

Now when you see flight photos there are a lot of liberties taken in the art department. I haven't seen that happen yet with MA, but since everyone else is doing it I suspect it will find its way in :-( The place I wrote for before my last stint at MAN did a LOT of "enhancing" and I hated to see it every time.

skyvolt12
09-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Hi Greg, The comment I made was not a reflection on you I hope you realize. It was the sudden departure of Bob Kopski that got me upset with the Magazine, nothing more. I have read your col. and found it very helpfull. Im just a 74 year old guy that hates certain changes. But I Know time marches on. Heres hopeing you have continuing sucess. [email protected]

ggimlick
09-19-2005, 11:45 PM
No sweat I didn't take any of it personally. I loved Bob's column and hated to see him go, especially when it apparently wasn't his decision entirely. Change is tough and I'm only in my 50's :-)

My only hope is I can partially fill his shoes as the years go by.

DMan
09-20-2005, 12:02 AM
<snipped>I will say that I got some very nasty, rude and incredibly condemning letters from some fans of Bob's column placing the blame firmly on me for forcing him out. Odd since I was writing for MAN at the time and not MA. Knowing Bob I'm sure he would have been embarassed to read some of them. Oh well, I've got big shoulders and if it felt good to vent, then that's fine. <snipped again>

Hi Gregory:

I've always enjoyed your work and think you do an excellent job explaining the difficult to the great unwashed, of which I am a member. I don't understand why some readers would blame you for the actions of editors! But, then, neither standardized I.Q. tests nor the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory examinations are required for AMA membership.

While I've also learned a lot from Battery Acid Red -- and I've always enjoyed the egoistic bloviating of Mr. Aberle -- I wish the powers that be would conisder running your work on a monthly basis.

You have a large number of fans who appreciate your offerings. The real question is how many hours of staring into that blank screen will it take before you take up strong drink and regret like hell that you never put quill to ink?

Regards,
Dave

DMan
09-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the encouragement :-)

My only complaint with the magazines going to digital is that you now see "enhanced" photos.....meaning there are a lot of fake things going on. When I wrote for Model Airplane News during Larry Marshall's editorship it was the toughest photo requirements I had ever seen. We sent color slides and there were no corrections done digitally. What you saw is what you did and it really made a better photographer out of us. You had real pride in getting a gatefold photo published, etc.

Now when you see flight photos there are a lot of liberties taken in the art department. I haven't seen that happen yet with MA, but since everyone else is doing it I suspect it will find its way in :-( The place I wrote for before my last stint at MAN did a LOT of "enhancing" and I hated to see it every time.

Hi Greg;
I share the same concerns . . . it's an ethical thing! I'm a retired journalist and I remember photo editors catching hell for simply "flopping" a foto. The negatives (or trannies, as the case may be) were only touched when absolutely necessary to make the image viewable.

Now, not only are images "enhanced," so-called reporters are retouching the story facts as well. After all, why try packing all that editorializing on the editorial page when we have all this white space to fill?

Dave

ggimlick
09-20-2005, 03:10 AM
While I've also learned a lot from Battery Acid Red -- and I've always enjoyed the egoistic bloviating of Mr. Aberle -- I wish the powers that be would conisder running your work on a monthly basis.

Well if enough people write and show it's something that might be warranted they would probably make some changes eventually. Bob Hunt really wants to make it a better magazine so whatever he can do to accomplish that he's open to. Reader input is a lot bigger than people think.

You have a large number of fans who appreciate your offerings. The real question is how many hours of staring into that blank screen will it take before you take up strong drink and regret like hell that you ever put quill to ink?

I love to write so hopefully that won't happen. There are times when I do stare a long time at that screen though and wonder if anything worthwhile will ever come. Funny thing is there have been times I've sent in a column over the years when I felt like I should apologize to the readers for sending it only to find out it strikes a chord with a bunch of people. That's what makes it worth it, when you hit something that actually helps someone.

I don't really like doing reviews though because you end up looking back over a year or so and realize you haven't built one model that you actually chose just because it was something you wanted to do for yourself. I miss the scratch building and kit building I used to do before I got involved with magazines. Now it's more assembly and note taking instead of the simple pleasure of building.

ggimlick
09-20-2005, 03:13 AM
I share the same concerns . . . it's an ethical thing! I'm a retired journalist and I remember photo editors catching hell for simply "flopping" a foto.

Exactly! I wondered if I was the only one who thought it was unethical.

I get a kick out of the photos taken from above looking down on some model who is supposedly flying the model that is suspended or inserted into the photo above her. Are we really supposed to believe that's the way it really was :rolleyes:

omba
10-18-2005, 06:01 AM
Exactly! I wondered if I was the only one who thought it was unethical.

I get a kick out of the photos taken from above looking down on some model who is supposedly flying the model that is suspended or inserted into the photo above her. Are we really supposed to believe that's the way it really was :rolleyes:
I've often asked myself the same question ...
but then I thought that I was just supposed to look at the model! :)
Nobody holds their sticks like that anyway!:D

But back to the topic of this forum ...
I also think that Model Aviation has taken an overdue leap forward. Congrats!
I also ask myself (regarding AMA) ... with the rapid rise and growth of electrics they really have no choice. Why join a "club" and pay dues when you can go to the local ball field and fly? AMA MUST offer more to the elecric modelers (that us?) out there.

Later,
Peter

ggimlick
10-18-2005, 02:38 PM
I also think that Model Aviation has taken an overdue leap forward. Congrats!
I also ask myself (regarding AMA) ... with the rapid rise and growth of electrics they really have no choice. Why join a "club" and pay dues when you can go to the local ball field and fly? AMA MUST offer more to the elecric modelers (that us?) out there.

You're right Peter and that has become an issue for both AMA and MAAC in Canada, what to do to show it's a relavant organization aside from providing insurance. The education programs are certainly a part of that, but it has to show the membership it's worth belonging to. I like the magazine, but then I write for magazines. It should be offered as a stand alone subscription if someone in Canada wants to subscribe, right now it's prohibitively expensive for someone to do that.

For years AMA and MAAC have been viewed as insurance providers and that has to change. That will take some very creative thinking on the part of the council, etc. I wish I had the answers to that.

omba
10-19-2005, 12:30 AM
For years AMA and MAAC have been viewed as insurance providers and that has to change. That will take some very creative thinking on the part of the council, etc. I wish I had the answers to that.
And the problem with large organizations?
Politics!
That's part of what makes this board so good.
:D