PDA

View Full Version : New To Windows 10.....?......You Might Want To Read This

pizzano
11-03-2015, 06:33 PM
As confirmed here at WattFlyer......on previously related threads......:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

The price we pay for technologically inspired advancement and intervention......in the name of convenience and enterprise........lol

fhhuber
11-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Very simply... I will do no internet transactions via Windows ever again.

firemanbill
11-03-2015, 07:54 PM
It's amazing how deep things can be hidden in software now and most folks will never know it.

Just look at the VW "clean diesels" they had hidden code written into the ECM's to shut down certain thing when the rear wheels were stationary when the front wheels were moving. This enable the cars to pass emissions checks when there was no way they would do so otherwise.

We are all victim to it, and most likely will never know the true depths of it all.

solentlife
11-04-2015, 02:51 AM
And people really think Windoze is the ONLY item that tracks you and your actions ?

Many software packages, Mobile Phone apps, banking utilities, the list goes on and on and on and on ... nearly every aspect of our lives is tracked / recorded / archived ...

Paranoia seems to be the 21st century disease ...

Nigel

fhhuber
11-04-2015, 03:26 AM
I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

solentlife
11-04-2015, 03:28 AM
I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

;)

crxmanpat
11-04-2015, 04:28 AM
Microsoft keeps sneaking the Windows 10 update onto my laptop, even though I've "hidden" the update once before.

I'll stick with Windows 7 thank you.

fhhuber
11-04-2015, 04:30 AM
Its only mass identity theft waiting to happen.

solentlife
11-04-2015, 04:56 AM
Microsoft keeps sneaking the Windows 10 update onto my laptop, even though I've "hidden" the update once before.

I always remember resisting moving on with later Windoze versions ... but it doesn't take long that apps and other software makes you upgrade. Especially if working with many others receiving documents / files etc. They upgrade Office etc. and you then struggle to read their docs with still intact formats.

Its a vicious circle ...

Nigel

firemanbill
11-04-2015, 05:00 AM
At least it is just software now we have to keep up with. I cringe when I think of the 80's and 90's of needing a New pc every three months just so the newest software would run on it.

Now THAT was a vicious cycle.

solentlife
11-04-2015, 05:06 AM
At least it is just software now we have to keep up with. I cringe when I think of the 80's and 90's of needing a New pc every three months just so the newest software would run on it.

Now THAT was a vicious cycle.

What really annoyed me was when Windows 98 went Version 2 .... and removed so many drivers and no updates ... I have scanners, printers, readers, all sorts of gear that became obsolete overnight with that one move.

I had a beautiful sheet feed scanner ... small, compact ... Win98 Second edition killed it off.

Nigel

Bald Paul
11-04-2015, 02:55 PM
Microsoft announcement:
"Microsoft will no longer offer support or upgrades for the product you have that we told you was the greatest thing on earth a few years ago. The newest product is much better, with all new bugs we'll be fixing until the next version makes this one obsolete. By the way, the GUI is completely new, and will take you months to figure out. Meanwhile, you'll be going crazy trying to 'fix' issues with your old software and hardware, which will no longer function. By the time you get to understand the interface, you'll realize we made hundreds of dollars worth of hardware, and many hours of data you've inputted into your existing programs totally worthless.
Don't forget to register your new operating system, so we at Microsoft can all have a good chuckle at your expense."

fhhuber
11-04-2015, 03:20 PM
LINUX... :censor: Micro$oft

solentlife
11-04-2015, 03:32 PM
LINUX... :censor: Micro$oft

It would have **************** Microsoft IF it had become more popular and Applications people supported it better.

But MS had the most simplest marketing bonanza trick that still today I find amazing. Supply of new PC's with MS installed.

Go to any PC dealer and ask ratio of customers buying MS vs Linux machines ...

I know scores of people over the years use Linux and then drift back to MS.

I know a Shipping Company that a senior shareholder invested in Linux and offshoot software. He insisted all his ships run Linux on the Ships systems ... but found the Cargo Control systems still had to be MS and then an interface compiled to link HIS to THEIRS !!
Can you imagine what the Ships Officers say about Linux ? Moderators would not allow me to print here ...

The last great obstacle to MS and its intrusive policies died when Netscape lost its battle with MS. Even the EU with its anti stance against MS policies has still to come out even with MS.

Nigel

firemanbill
11-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Might as well just drink the koolaid and be a minion... lol

pizzano
11-04-2015, 07:50 PM

Works for Windows 7, 7 Pro and 8......:

If you go to the Control Panel - Check Updates, you can remove these 4 updates that do nothing but track your use and prep for Windows 10.....

KB2952664
KB2976978
KB2977759
KB3035583

To delete, go to the recent update window, view installed, check the boxes where those bad boys live and remove.

It may stop the pesky little Windows 10 reminder, at least it did here up until the last 11/03/2015 barrage came.

I have all my machines set to "remind" me of up-dates and I pick and choose which ones I want to download............Suggest that everyone should use this method rather than have Windows up-date automatically.......with 7 Pro you still get the choice. Not so much with 8.

How did I get this info.....?

My IT guy (and good friend) gave me the info and there is a web site that tracks this and other Windows pit falls....He has a buddy who contributes to this site.......:

http://techne.alaya.net/?p=12499

It's just a suggestion.........I express no warranty or imply it all works for all......If you're not comfortable with reconfiguring and transferring or working in the "advanced setting" environments of Windows, it may best to have some one you know, who is, perform these functions. I've been lucky enough to have been "trained up" by friends.......it's saved me a bundle in additional IT maintenance costs.........;)

crxmanpat
11-04-2015, 08:22 PM
I've already removed and hidden 3035583, I will go back and do the others now.

Thanks!

crxmanpat
11-04-2015, 08:35 PM
I just went and looked for the other updates. The only one I found was KB2952664 (and I had already hidden KB3035583). Is it unusual that the others are not there, or were those Windows 8 updates only?

firemanbill
11-04-2015, 08:52 PM
OK guys, lighten up. Ford vs Chevy, JR vs Futaba, MS/Mac/Linux... all battles that cannot be won and should not be fought.:)

pizzano
11-04-2015, 09:10 PM
I just went and looked for the other updates. The only one I found was KB2952664 (and I had already hidden KB3035583). Is it unusual that the others are not there, or were those Windows 8 updates only?

The list I provided refers to Windows 7 and 7 Pro only........you may not have gotten all 4........I only received 3 of them (so far).........!

Just keep an eye on it........and be careful........we still don't know if there are underlying updates that have not been hidden with the newer editions.

Microsoft is pumping this stuff out more frequently and more deliberate since September......the obvious reason is to get all of us (older editions) to convert over to 10......I can state with conviction, that the industry I'm in (Civil Engineering) is putting up a lot of cash and political effort to slow the conversion (and it's intrusion) down. It's wasn't only last year many of the firms I work with had completely transferred from XP over to 7 Pro or 8.......

You can imagine the cost and time associated to converting over to a relatively new OP system and get all the bugs out in order to function day to day...........so soon..........even the IT guys are pissed that Microsoft did not provide as much lead time as they have in the past for this conversion. It's been a headache many in my industry care not to deal with so soon..........That said, those who I come in contact with believe it's only a matter of time........give or take another 2 years, then we'll have no choice.
Microsoft is intentionally speeding the process up and seems to be less willing (as they have been in the past) to work with other intellectual/technical industries.....now, it seems they want to control it even more...........it's a shame (or sham)...........considering we (our industry) used to be one the beta testers for many of the products they sell.

Kicking and screaming we'll travel.....resistance is futile..........and our clients will suffer the pain of our higher billing rates........:oops:

crxmanpat
11-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Yeah, at work over the past few years all PCs were finally converted over from XP to 7. But I still run an XP at home (it's what I'm using right now). It's my main PC, hooked up to my 1TB external backup, and runs my home network. Gosh, it still runs just fine (although I had to switch from IE to Chrome). But I also have two laptops that run 7 Pro.

pizzano
11-04-2015, 09:34 PM
OK guys, lighten up. Ford vs Chevy, JR vs Futaba, MS/Mac/Linux... all battles that cannot be won and should not be fought.:)

Hee, hee.....:D

Thanks Bill.......!

FlyWheel
11-08-2015, 03:17 PM
What really annoyed me was when Windows 98 went Version 2 .... and removed so many drivers and no updates ... I have scanners, printers, readers, all sorts of gear that became obsolete overnight with that one move.

I had a beautiful sheet feed scanner ... small, compact ... Win98 Second edition killed it off.

Nigel
Which is exactly why I wait at least a year or two before going to a new OS. (seeing as I do that only when absolutely necessary because of software obsolescence, it usually is self fulfilling). Let the lemmings do the beta testing, I'd rather buy a product that already has the bugs worked out!

I use proxy based search engines, like IXquick (https://ixquick.com/eng/protect-privacy.html?op=ta&prf=96546418981f3c57baf98b762beb009f&hmb=1), when I want internet privacy.