PDA

View Full Version : Recommended brushless setup for GWS warbird?

Treker-1701
06-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi All,

I have a GWS ME-109 that I am about ready to start building, and I was wondering what brushless setups you all would recommend that I put in this bird? I can go either direct drive or geared, but my goal is to spin a scale-sized prop and to keep the prop and spinner in the scale location. For this reason I am leaning toward a geared setup and possibly using a GWS "D" gearbox (6.6 to 1 I believe), but I am open to suggestions. I am after strong performance, but not necessarily 3D kind of power. I am also not after all out speed, but more strong acceleration and scale speeds. I would also like to run a 3 bladed prop if possible.

Thanks for your input.

Treker

Twmaster
06-17-2006, 05:00 PM
You are going to hear a lot of recommendations as the GWS warbirds are very flexible in their power options. If you want to go geared then an E-Flite Park 370 or Himax 2015 with a 4100kv rating would be great methinks. I have an outrunner (Esskay 400XT) on my 109 and it is scary fast. :)

qban_flyer
06-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Brushless otrunner would be the preferred mode of propulsion for GWS and other warbirds. Before the new crop of inexpensive outrunners hit the market place, the "in thing" to have were geared brushless "inrunners".

Outrunners are elegant, lighter, simple and offer us a clean and uncluttered installation, not to mention the lower amount of noise otrunners generate when compared to a geared set up regardless of brand and or cost. Then, there are no brass pinions or stripped spur gears to contend with either.

There are many outrunners to choose from. They vary in price from a $9 modified CR Rom motor all the way up to a $60+ imported affair.

flypaper 2
06-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Ran a Himax 2025 4200 and a C drive and a 10-8 prop on the Zero. Worked well except for a few stripped gears and bent shafts as Qban says. TP 2100 batt. Building another Zero as a shorted out GWS servo locked everything up and it went in like a lawn dart at full throttle. Instant popcorn.:D Probably try a Himax 2812 next but will have to modify the stick mount to line up with the cowl. Have fun, I am :p

qban_flyer
06-18-2006, 02:44 PM
YEP!

Even when used with their own factory gearboxes, the spur gears and shafts "must" be purchased wholesale by the end user. Having a plastic spur gear against a brass pinion that is being driven by a powerful motor spinning at high rpm is not healthy to those spurs. I have no clue as to why they make propeller shafts of such soft material either.

One more thing, I have seen Himax, E-Flite and other inrunner motors break their shafts where the pinion is located on the shaft. :confused:

06-19-2006, 03:19 PM
I dropped one of these TowerPro outrunners in my GWS Mustang and it's great. $29 for the motor and 18Amp ESC. How can you pass that up?

http://rchotdeals.com/

I put one of these KMS outrunners in my Zero, which I think is about the same motor.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/108044.asp

Jagzilla
06-19-2006, 09:06 PM
The 2025 Himaxx series is a really good choice, but best to use the Himaxx gearbox with the much thicker/stronger main shaft. You then have the choice of the 3 gear ratio sets that come with the gearbox. You can still bend the shaft during belly landings, but its not too often, and they are easily replaced. I run either the 4200's or 5300's in all my GWS warbirds, and I've been very happy with the Himaxx product.
J

thunder1
06-19-2006, 11:32 PM
The Himax/E-Flite geared inrunners work well and are pretty much a direct replacement for the stock motor. I'd avoid using the stock GWS gearbox with an adapter as that usually leads to chewed gears. This gearbox is very durable and the replacement gears are inexpensive. http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-26.html#HG20

I've got some of the VarioProp pitch adjustable three bladed props and they are awesome. The scale blade shape is a good match to the Me-109 and you can get whatever blade size you need. If you are planning on belly landing, you might wan to get a different prop, though. The VarioProp blades are fairly stiff and may break. Blades are individually replaceable which is nice.

Treker-1701
06-19-2006, 11:39 PM
The Himax/E-Flite geared inrunners work well and are pretty much a direct replacement for the stock motor. I'd avoid using the stock GWS gearbox with an adapter as that usually leads to chewed gears. This gearbox is very durable and the replacement gears are inexpensive. http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-26.html#HG20

I've got some of the VarioProp pitch adjustable three bladed props and they are awesome. The scale blade shape is a good match to the Me-109 and you can get whatever blade size you need. If you are planning on belly landing, you might wan to get a different prop, though. The VarioProp blades are fairly stiff and may break. Blades are individually replaceable which is nice.

Thanks for the recommendation on the HiMaxx inrunner and gearbox. It is on my short list of possible motors for this bird.

I am also very intrigued by these VarioProp 3 bladed props that you mentioned. Can you give me a link to a web site where they are available?

I haven't decided yet about belly landing or not. They certainly look better in the air without the fixed gear, but I'm not sure I want the weight of retracts or not. Still deciding on that one.

Treker

ForestCam
06-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Hobby lobby has them
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/slowprop.htm
Down near the bottom of the page.

flypaper 2
06-20-2006, 01:07 AM
propsaver works well with the 2025 ,GWS system. Easier on props and shafts when belly landing.