PDA

View Full Version : Music today ?

solentlife
10-08-2017, 06:57 PM
I listen to various radio stations and so many now play not only todays music but a lot of yesterdays classics.

In fact when I hear people talking and I listen to radio ... it seems that old is 'the' in music ...

My youngest son is lead guitar and vocals for 'SLM' ..... he has told me that he is considering creating another group playing more older style music !

OK - I'm 61 near 62 ... so of course I remember heydays of Deep Purple / Led Zeppelin / Animals / Rolling Stones etc .... and find todays music sort of ?????

But I find it interesting that classics made by such as above STILL get played ..... what today compares with Stairway to Heaven ?? Even my son admits its the classic of classics !

Nigel

pizzano
10-08-2017, 08:39 PM
The term "classic" is not universal........Even here in the States, "classic" is debated, depends on the age group of individuals one speaks to.

I too come from the 50's era where (as rock & roll goes), anything before 1960 is considered classic or defined as "rock & roll".......The term "rock" was penned by the DJ's some time in the mid to late 60's and continued to be redefined and labeled (like Zep) turned into "metal".........Even though blues based, where extensive use of "Les Paul", Fender Strat electric guitars changed the entire industry........since then a dozen "labeled" variations have cropped up, like what your son's band composes.

As your son eluded too, today there really isn't any new "rock/metal/country/pop/new age/funk/" music being composed or played (outside of electronic/digital based new age or jazz), that does not have it roots tied to a blues based riff or "minor/flat" arrangement. So much of the "popular" music is vocal driven, which is not always key board (piano) composed (particularly rock and country), that originality and/or flexibility gets lost in the translation/transition from what has already been composed in the past to todays re-hashes.

Sorry to say, but even the "science" of sonic physics came to realize in or about the 1980's, that the music industry was going hit it's technical peak potential and flatten out (even Classical) due to the actual physical limitations of musical instruments and our physical abilities to generate sound.........thus, the advent of digital electronic "artificially" produced sounds. However, until mankind has the ability to hear and translate tone/ pitch at another level, I'm afraid there will seldom be composed anything that has not already been performed at some place and time in the past.

solentlife
10-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Lets be honest - USA as the home of RAP and its offshoots has just about killed mainstream 'normal' music.

In 30 yrs from now - will people really be listening to the crap put out today ?

People today are still listening to and singing Beatles / Stones / Led Zep and the rest ...

Each group in the 70 - 80 's has produced a classic song - that endures ..... any group today ?

Nigel

pizzano
10-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Yep......RAP has it's own culture and does not reach the masses like pop or rock.......really just the young, rebellious, disenfranchised, "woe-is-me", want-to-be bad ass crowd.........nothing new there, music has been a platform for every kind of civil expression for centuries.......only now the culture that buys the stuff has more money to purchase than those who cared to in the past......and we thought Billy Holiday and Elvis were out of control.......lol

As for compositions that last and endear........seems, since the "British Invasion", little here in the U.S. (as a whole) has made the same impact globally (outside of Jazz, Classical and Pop).....even the Canadians have produced more originality rock and elevator music.......lol.......haven't heard new from the Aussies in sometime now.

Although, my son has turned me onto several Euro-based rock bands over the past three years, German, Czech, Dutch, Russian that seem to be a lot more sophisticated and original than what is being pumped into the air-waves here in the States.

Panther
10-08-2017, 10:26 PM
I had my own Karaoke business for quite a few years and I was always amazed at how the young ones 10 -14 yrs (back then) loved the 'old' songs and knew them well. I am talking the 50s and 60s (Elvis) era.
I never really heard kids listening to that stuff but it obviously made an impression on them.
Even at my shows/weddings etc people went for the Rock 'n roll songs.
I was quite happy about that as they were my favourites as well.
I had a lot of 'modern' stuff but very few sang it and if they did it was generally a miserable failure.
I also liked most American Country and a little bit of Oz Country. (not much)

Rap? Where the heck did that crap come from? I turn the radio off if that comes on.

Rhea
10-09-2017, 03:40 AM
OK Go (https://www.google.com/search?q=ok+go+youtube+upside+down&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

pizzano
10-09-2017, 03:51 AM
OK Go (https://www.google.com/search?q=ok+go+youtube+upside+down&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

LOL......goofy, digital electronic pop abstract......nothing that hasn't been done on MTV years ago. It's not about the video performance, rather the music...zero gravity and less in quality or endearment.....!

Stevephoon
10-09-2017, 04:34 AM
I think the big labels has about killed music. Everything they produce is cookie cutter or "formula" music. If I have to listen to another Disney studio child actor making "music" I'll die....

But... Here in Detroit (Motown!) There is a an up swell of young local groups performing live and producing their own music. Small music venues are thriving again. With the young crowd only wanting digital music (and free streaming of digital music) I think a wholesale shift is coming. Will this mean better music finally ?? I hope so, but I bet most of us old farts won't like it anyway.

My son's group, Shapes&Colors. Is part of this new scene. My ears can't take the volume of their live performances without ear plugs, but their recordings are good. (Not Beatles good, but not bad...) They consider their sound Alternative Rock / Pop Rock. Check them out if you want....
http://shapesandcolorsmusic.com/

Let's hope for some new groups really doing something special in the near future!

Steve

pizzano
10-09-2017, 05:53 AM
Shapes and Colors......
My future Daughter in law mentioned those guys to me awhile back. Yes, somewhat alternative rock. Very tight and organized, vocals seem to fit todays standards. What is most impressive, they segue through key note transitions seamlessly..........seems these guys have had some legit musical training in there backgrounds...........this shows up in the cut "Buried Nation".....I'd buy their stuff just to support what could be a nice career path, if I was into alternative rock.......;)

Stevephoon
10-10-2017, 02:43 AM
Shapes and Colors......
My future Daughter in law mentioned those guys to me awhile back. Yes, somewhat alternative rock. Very tight and organized, vocals seem to fit todays standards. What is most impressive, they segue through key note transitions seamlessly..........seems these guys have had some legit musical training in there backgrounds...........this shows up in the cut "Buried Nation".....I'd buy their stuff just to support what could be a nice career path, if I was into alternative rock.......;)

Pizzano, is you future daughter in-law also from SoCal? S&C is a Michigan based group... Just wondering if some on the west coast have found them.

Buried Nation is one of my favorites as well. Something they wrote and recorded all in one session just to fill out their last mini CD. (In someone's basement recording studio...)

Steve

pizzano
10-10-2017, 04:57 AM
Pizzano, is you future daughter in-law also from SoCal? S&C is a Michigan based group... Just wondering if some on the west coast have found them.

Buried Nation is one of my favorites as well. Something they wrote and recorded all in one session just to fill out their last mini CD. (In someone's basement recording studio...)

Steve

Nope.....she's from Utah and one of her friends, who also likes the newer Detroit alternatives, is from Minn.
Not surprised at the basement recording. With todays digital interface with Mac type studio quality software and quality mic placement, even I have sounded pretty good after a little knob twisting........;)

Turbojoe
10-11-2017, 01:34 AM
At 61 I'm a grumpy old man and just can't stand most of today's music. I work at a college campus and have to hear the hip-hop, rap and just plain crap AUTOTUNE :mad::censor::mad::censor: "music" blaring from the concert quality speakers they have at the pool. Nothing makes me want to shoot myself in the head worse than AUTOTUNE!! ARGH!

It's a rare day that I hear some Eagles, Bad Company, Ted Nugent etc but I get lucky now and then. I always want to go find and hug whoever programmed that music set!

Thankfully YouTube gives us a way to enjoy some of the bearable new music with something like this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCjdnpm04j4 In this extremely rare case I really like the song too. For Katy Perry videos I just mute the music and drool.

Hey, I'm not just a grumpy old man, I'm also a dirty old man and quite proud of it!.....:D

Joe

pizzano
10-16-2017, 06:58 AM
Here's something inventive and new to the music scene........the composition is not original but the musician and instrument are quite amazing........:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6_HlOqy2C0

Jimmy Page would admire the equipment and versatility.....especially the 3 string bass, since he was only able get six string electric and 12 acoustic electric to accommodate his "Stairway to Heaven" legend.

Turbojoe
10-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Here's something inventive and new to the music scene........the composition is not original but the musician and instrument are quite amazing........:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6_HlOqy2C0

Jimmy Page would admire the equipment and versatility.....especially the 3 string bass, since he was only able get six string electric and 12 acoustic electric to accommodate his "Stairway to Heaven" legend.

Thanks for posting that link! The music is awesome but it's just plain hypnotic to actually watch him play it. Incredible talent!

Joe