View Full Version : How did i miss that!!!!!

07-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Here's the scene, maiden flight for the typhoon new radio DX6 first day at the club never flown in front of other fliers or any one else for that matter, turn on radio check activate switch on typhoon check do range and function test check all's ok place plane on runway full throttle elevate after that it's all a bit of a blur left ,right bang the typhoon is no more i switch off the radio and quietly walk down pick up all the pieces and trot off home sitting there at home i go over what's happened and the thing that stuck in my mind was seeing the ailerons fully deflected on that first bank so i check out the radio and there it is when i tested at the club i had the switches on high rates and guess who has never flown on high rates before. :o

07-14-2006, 01:45 AM
Speaking of radio faux paus, I generally fly alone in the desert. There is a paved road to a rock quarry I use as my runway. It's great out there because if you need to ditch for some reason, the dry scrub is almost like a cushion.

Sooo, I hadn't been flying in awhile, and I figured it was time to get back out. The wind was calm, so I grabbed the SS and drove out. Put the plane on the "runway," powered everything up, and did a quick control check. Everything looked fine, so off we went.

I knew right away something wasn't right. There was a slight cross breeze and it seemed like the rudder wasn't responding. Elevator was fine. Throttle was fine. I know I checked the rudder, so was the cross breeze stronger 20-30 feet up?

Now the SS is going further and further out, and I can't seem to control the direction. Why I didn't put it down immediately, is beyond me. Maybe I felt I could somehow coax it back. Maybe I forgot how the brush makes it safer to ditch. Whatever reason, it had to be about 1000 feet out before I finally decided if I didn't ditch it, I was never going to see it again. I cut the power.

Took me 30 minutes of searching in waist deep desert brush and cactus before I finally spotted the thing. I couldn't figure out why a bright red SS was so hard to find in a light tan desert, until I finally caught glimpse of it.

Somehow, it managed to land perfectly, on its landing gear, in the only 20'x5' clearing. I was pretty darn happy to finally find it, with zero damage!

The second half of the story involves the long walk back, sudden gusty winds, and the fool-hardy decision to "just fly it back." ;-)

What was wrong? I'm almost too embarassed to say. Crossed wires on the receiver. How did I cross the wires on the receiver yet not catch it during the radio check? Guess I was too excited to finally be out flying again after a several month break.

Now, if you want a CRASH story, well, I did have a catastrophic crash later in the day. Not much you can do with a 5mph SS when a 15mph wind kicks up. Ended up losing the SS that day, afterall. :-/

Oh well, finally give me an excuse to upgrade to something with ailerons! ;)


Crash Test Dummy
07-14-2006, 02:33 AM
We have all been plauged with radio Faux Pas. Always make it part of your preflight to check all your surfaces on both high and low rates. The idea is to activate every working switch to be sure everything is working fine. You might have a servo gear going bad and not know it until you hit high rates, which makes the gear train travel further through the gears range of motion.

You probably know all this stuff, however.......just my 2 cents.