PDA

View Full Version : Magnuson Park Video

Kosh
08-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Magnuson Park at the north end of Seattle on Lake Washington. In WWII it was Sandpoint Naval Air Station. I forgot to take out the camera spacer so camera is pointed too low in this video but you get the idea how big this park is. I had no spotter so I couldn't really take it up high as there were lots of float planes buzzing around the area. Theres a fairly steep dive at one point and I'm fleeing a real plane that was doing touch and goes on the water. Hope to re-shoot this without the spacer soon.

As always please right click on the link and "save target as"

Broadband: 44.1MB
http://www.cascadeap.com/Magnuson.wmv

Dailup: 3.42MB
http://www.cascadeap.com/Magnuson1.wmv

Photo was from last summer.

Kosh :)

HoggZilla
08-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Very nice. Did you cut out any pictures of the other plane? Do you shoot all of your video with a side view? I read somewhere that you like to circle down around the target, I assume you have found this to be the best way to capture the best/most images of the target.

On the continued subject of which camera to use. Can you give me your preferences? I found an Aiptek which shoots 30fps at 640x480 but since it is fairly cheap at $129 I was wondering if you or anyone else has tried it before.

Thanks.

aviatordave
08-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Nice vid Kosh - always nice to see Washington.

What spacer were you talking about ??? just curious

Thanks

Dave

Kosh
08-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Hogzilla, I was staying fairly low so none of the real planes showed up on video. Most of my videos are sideview and the reason I just do a big circle is to keep the camera on the target most of the time. I do have a Slow Stick that the camera points forward on but don't use it much because wind pushes it around to much.
As for cameras anything around 3MP or above works fine. My Nikon 3700 only does 320x240 @ 30fps video. They are plenty of others using the Aiptek with great results. I really hate to recommend something I don't have or never used so lets see if a few others add what they use or start a thread?

Dave, My camera mount is glued solid to the plane and has no movement. The wedge is just a balsa piece that you would use for ailerons and gives me a better angle. I had a few problems early on keeping the mount on the plane and more than a few times touched down with the camera barely hanging on there and thats why its solid now.

HoggZilla
08-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Hogzilla, I was staying fairly low so none of the real planes showed up on video. Most of my videos are sideview and the reason I just do a big circle is to keep the camera on the target most of the time. I do have a Slow Stick that the camera points forward on but don't use it much because wind pushes it around to much.
As for cameras anything around 3MP or above works fine. My Nikon 3700 only does 320x240 @ 30fps video. They are plenty of others using the Aiptek with great results. I really hate to recommend something I don't have or never used so lets see if a few others add what they use or start a thread?

Thanks. I will probably pick up the Aiptek today and give it a try. If it does not work I can give it to one of the kids as a present. Nice, huh.

Anyway, I have the slow stick but I really enjoy building so I might try building a perfect plane for the new camera. Like anything I do is perfect, but I will probably try anyway.

aviatordave
08-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Alot of guys have had good luck with the aiptek (Aiptek MPVR), I personally dont have one but have read alot about them. The price is right - thats for sure. I believe you can use the prism (ir remote) for zoom and shutter control)
you can find that here ----> http://store.hexsys.biz/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=10

not a bad deal for 24 bucks and the benefits are no moving parts, a guarantee that everytime you hit your transmitter button there will be a photograph waiting for you, and virtually no weight!

I use one on my Pentax Optio - its worth it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Dave

HoggZilla
08-09-2006, 02:04 AM
The one I got is the P-DVR. I wonder if the prism will work for it. I am going to read up a bit on the Aiptek website. That would be an awesome thing to have.

Edit: I checked the website and it seems to be the exact same thing as the MPVR. I got it at Circuit City, maybe they have a different name there??? Confused a little but I think I'm ok here. I am going to order the prism. Thanks for the referral.

aviatordave
08-09-2006, 03:34 AM
You might want to ask to be sure, here is his email --->
[email protected] ([email protected])

HoggZilla
08-09-2006, 03:51 AM
You might want to ask to be sure, here is his email --->
[email protected] ([email protected])

Thanks, I sent them an email.

aviatordave
08-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Cool I hope it works for you. Once you use something like this, you will not want to go to a servo.

Sorry Kosh for taking your thread off subject.

Lets get back to his video!

Kosh
08-09-2006, 04:16 AM
Never a problem on my end as most go off topic for a bit anyways. Its all related somewhat so why not. :)

HoggZilla
08-09-2006, 04:20 AM
Never a problem on my end as most go off topic for a bit anyways. Its all related somewhat so why not. :)

Thanks! Me being so new to this, I appreciate the good nature and general concern for one another on this site.

adhoc
08-09-2006, 05:47 AM
Another great video, Kosh! I'll have to come up and visit that park sometime... :)

Great music, too (again)...

Kosh
08-09-2006, 06:12 AM
Thanks adhoc, I never know myself what music a video will end up with and its more a matter of just tying a few and see what sorta works. Hope to get a few more completed this summer. ;)